Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Finding wing area

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Finding wing area

Old 03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
LostMyPlane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding wing area

I can't remember, do I count the ailerons as part of the wing cord (root and tip) when figuring wing area or just the wing itself?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Finding wing area

Yes the ailerons count as area of the wing as well as the portion that is covered by the fuselage.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How dies a round fuselage between the wing halves create lift as much as the wing airfoil ?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Lnewqban

Here we go again..............[]
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
skylane_182

I found a free cool little program that I use to figure it out..... Simply enter the root cord and tip cord and it tells you wing area and wing loading (If you entered your planes weight).

[link=http://www.hoppenbrouwer-home.nl/ikarus/software/thrusthpv20d.htm]ThrustHP V 2.0d[/link]
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
LostMyPlane

ORIGINAL: skylane_182

I found a free cool little program that I use to figure it out..... Simply enter the root cord and tip cord and it tells you wing area and wing loading (If you entered your planes weight).

[link=http://www.hoppenbrouwer-home.nl/ikarus/software/thrusthpv20d.htm]ThrustHP V 2.0d[/link]
That's a cool little program!! Skylane, thanks!!

and thanks to everyone for the input!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
skylane_182

ORIGINAL: LostMyPlane

ORIGINAL: skylane_182

That's a cool little program!! Skylane, thanks!!

and thanks to everyone for the input!!!
No Problem! That little program has served me well! I hope you find it as useful as I have.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Lnewqban

cyclops2,

I believe the fuse does too little for lift to be considered.

I don't consider it when I calculate wing loading, but as a convention, most of the designers consider the area of the wing covered by the fuse.

Wing loading is just a number to give an idea of how much weight the plane is able to lift per unit of wing area; nothing exact, specially considering that different parts of the wing create lift forces of different magnitude.

Check this thread out:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9530648
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

How dies a round fuselage between the wing halves create lift as much as the wing airfoil ?
It doesn't, but nevertheless this is how it's done by convention. The exception to this rule is where you have an obvious lifting fuselage such as on a jet fighter with the leading edge strakes and tunnel between the nacelles or wide blended fuselage such as on the old Bernelli "lifting fuselage" designs. On things like that the lift contribution from the fuselage design needs to be estimated using some guessing or testing.

Wing area is easily calculated by the formula (tip chord + root chord) / 2 x span = area . And if done in inches then the wing loading per sq foot is calculated by weight in ounces x (area/144) = wing loading in oz/sq foot. No online calculators needed. Just some simple math.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
skylane_182

Would not most people use a calculator to do that simple math anyway? Why not use one specifically for that purpose? And while I can not vouch for the accuracy of the Static Thrust calculator...it is kinda neat to play with [8D]
Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And if done in inches then the wing loading per sq foot is calculated by weight in ounces x (area/144) = wing loading in oz/sq foot. No online calculators needed. Just some simple math
The math might be simple, but the answer will be wrong if you use that formula.

Should be the weight in oz divided by the area in sq ft.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh is my face red.... Highplains you're entirely right and I goofed big time. I was so intent on the shift key and brackets that I goofed the equation badly.

Let's try Weight in ounces/(area in square inches/144)=wing loading in oz/sq foot.