Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

1.20 Yak 54 QB Rebuild after crash

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

1.20 Yak 54 QB Rebuild after crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1.20 Yak 54 QB Rebuild after crash

Scooterpilot, I see from the MLD-28 engine thread that you've got your Yak-54 in the air. I also have flown mine. Here's a few notes about the flights and MLD-28.

I am using a Vess 18 x 6 prop and using Amsoil at 50:1 mix. I ran about two 10 oz tanks of gas thru the engine on the ground at the factory settings on the needle valves. Which were on the rich side. I'm one who always breaks my engines in flying. So I put the Yak-54 in the air on the 3rd tank on Father's Day (June 21st). The flights that day went very well. The engine was just rich enough that it crackled a little in the air, but ran and idled perfect.
The 1st take-off was one of my best ever. It is a very easy plane to take off, tracks near perfect on the ground. I had a very slow climb out which is the way I like to do it. I like realism when I fly. It only required 1 click of up trim and 2 clicks of right trim to fly hands off perfectly straight. I had not changed the trim units on my Futaba yet so it was 4 units of trim per beep. I have since changed the trim to 1 unit per beep.
The Aero-works Yak-54 is a very nice flying aircraft. Very smooth on the low rates that I fly with. I set the control surfaces up with max throw and had the following low rate adjustments and expodental (I never measured the amount of throw): Ailerons, Low rate 45%, Expo -30%; Elevator LR 60%, Expo -50%; Throttle, Expo -50%: Rudder LR 100%, Expo -45%. I'm going to change the ailerons down to Low rate of 40%. I have all my low rates on one switch right now but may change to 2 or 3 switches later. As I said I like to fly smoothly, quess its because I flew pattern and scale contests in the '70s. I'll try the 3D stuff later on the high rates.
The Yak-54 also lands very nicely but it has to be done correctly. The Yak-54 tends to slow down a little to much for me on the landing. It also starts rasing the nose as it slows down. You must keep the airspeed correct for an easy landing. I normally do this by making what I consider a normal landing approach and then adding a very small amount of throttle to drag the plane in. It is not a high speed landing but just keeping the speed from slowing down. This is especially important if you have any head wind. I really enjoy landing this plane this way.
On the second time out with the Yak-54 things did not go as smoothly. At home I had removed the cowl to make some small changes on the engine choke. Second time out when I took the Yak off everything was going find until the 3rd pass. The engine died suddenly. Just at the wrong place. I quickly found out that the Yak-54 has a very short glide path when the engine is dead. I came up about 3 inches short of the runway catching the taller grass with the wheels. The Yak did a flip onto it's back. I figured the LG were torn out and the fuselage busted. To my pleasant surprise there was no damage except a broken prop (Vess=$25). I discovered that I had not pushed the plug boot completely onto the plug. It came off the first time a gave up elevator for a climbing turn around. One lesson learned. Always check the plug boot before flying.
Since there was no damage I put another prop on (Zinger 17x6) and took off. The plane also flys well with the Zinger 17x6. The engine RPM is noticably higher. Well ....... I was enjoying flying the Yak-54 so much that I forgot about gas. I ran out. Same story on the glide path. Came up short again, this time about 10 feet. However, this time it did not flip over. Just broke the Zinger prop. 2nd lesson learned, always use the flight timer. I decided to call it a day after 2 stupid mistakes.
This Aero-works Yak-54 is a very nice flying plane and the MLD-28 has run perfect.
My son has a new video camera so I will post a video as soon as we learn how to make a decent video.
I will also be posting some more on my engine and radio setup and how I made the graphics for the Yak.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92872.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1244282  
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Ralph White

Hello again, I been flying the heck out of my Yak-54. Love the way it flies. Especially when there is no wind. Everthing has been going smoothly now and I haven't broken any more props. I've leaned the MLD-28 out a little and it is running great. Right now I'm getting about 8200 rpm (Vess 18x6) after about 2 1/2 gal of gas. I have not touched the low end needle and only turned the high end needle down about 1/8 to 1/4 turn (I've loss count).
Have not taken the time to do any video's yet, having too much fun just flying it. I'll get some soon I hope.
My son, Nick, has hovered the Yak a little. He said it hovers at about 1/2 throttle and has good pull out. We aren't very experienced at 3D yet but can tell this Yak will do it.
I forgot to mention my Yak came out AUW (no fuel) at 10 lbs 12 oz. I could easily take some weight off, but I like the way it flies at this weight. Maybe later when I get more 3D experience I'll try taking some weight off.
I've included some pictures of the MLD-28 installation. Some of the pictures were posted earlier, but this way you won't have to go back through the thread to see them. You can see I didn't have the plug boot pushed on the plug enough. That's what caused it to come off and having a dead stick landing and breaking my 1st Vess prop.
Later,
Ralph White, Neoga, IL

Name:	Mk25879.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	1254158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14610.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	1254159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60395.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	1254160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47669.jpg
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	1254161   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99649.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	1254162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66138.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	1254163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su37303.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	1254164  
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Ralph White

I forgot to mention one other flying incident. I was coming out of a split S and when I leveled out the Yak continued to climb. I thought the radio had died. Then I throttled back a little and the Yak leveled out. I quickly brought her around and landed. It was a fairly normal landing. When I walked out to the plane I could see the right elevator was full up. The servo arm screw had came out. The elevator half was up because the push-rod was catching on the ground.
I thought I had lock-tited all the scews but I must of missed that one.
Be sure to lock-tite the servo arm screws (all screws) and check them every once in a while. I was luckly.
Ralph White
Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Ralph White

Hello again, Thought I would post a couple pictures of the radio compartment. I believe in the KISS system. The receiver is mounted on a piece of foam using velco superglued to the foam and reciever. The batteries are also on foam pads but I zip tied them in place because of the weight of the batteries. Fuel tank is on foam using a velco strap. Uses 2-line system with a filler valve. But I am going to change to a "T" in the engine supply line and use a fuel dot. The receiver battery is a 2000 mah 6 volt nmh and the ignition battery is a 600 mah 4.8 volt nicad. I'm using Hobbico CS-160 servos and all control surfaces and a Hobbico CS-140 on the throttle. They seem to work perfect.
After 4 gallon of gas I did discover the bolts coming thru the firewall into the back of the stand-offs needed tighting. Also the head bolts of the MLD-28 needed tightened about 1/2 turn.
Ralph White

Name:	Vt56772.jpg
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	1263952   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45920.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	1263953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91477.jpg
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	1263954  
Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

An absolutely fantastic rebuild job Ralph and thanks for sharing. Just goes to show how much fun can be had from repairing a model especially if it is a favourite. Sure hope your reincarnated model gives you many enjoyable hours at the flying field and really hope you do get to do a video of her doing what she does best .... flying.

Karol
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Ralph White

Thanks Karol,
I enjoyed re-building the Aero-works Yak-54. I've been flying it all summer and really like the way it flies. I need to get a couple more posts on here to show how I did the graphics and also a flying video. Hard to put posts on here when there is good (great this summer in IL) flying weather.
Thanks again,
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM
karolh

Really looking forward to seeing a video of your model in action, and are you satisfied with the performance of the MLD 28.

Karol
Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Ralph White

Karol,
Yes I have been pleased with the MLD-28. Only issues I've had were my fault. One time I did not push the boot cover for the spark plug on all the way and it came off in the air. Another time I had a small leak in the gas line (at the filler valve) and it became erratic until I discovered the leak. It was so small it didn't show bubbles except at low throttle. I have about 5 gallons of gas mixed with amsoil at 50:1 ran thru it so far.
Ralph White
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to see video. Do you 3D at all?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Ralph White

ro347, I need to get my son to take a video next time we go out to fly. I'm a "swoop and loop" flyer from the 70's. I've tried a few of the 3d maneuvers but can't do them very well yet. Might have my son do a little 3D with my Yak. My Yak is not really set up for 3D but he can probably do some.
Ralph White
Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM
karolh

I too experienced a loose plug boot senario once which made the engine to run pretty erattic and caused some radio interference which was remedied by using a small jubliee clamp to keep the plug boot snug. Had my share of problems with filler valves and made a switch to using a three line system having a dedicated fill line.

Like you I am a sport flyer and like to fly my models like real planes do, but I still enjoy watching others do their 3D thing but the bug has never bit me to get involved in that aspect of flying, just the basic turn around including loops and rolls combos for me ... maybe my fingers are just too old to learn new tricks

Karol
Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
betomagno

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

ro347, I need to get my son to take a video next time we go out to fly. I'm a ''swoop and loop'' flyer from the 70's. I've tried a few of the 3d maneuvers but can't do them very well yet. Might have my son do a little 3D with my Yak. My Yak is not really set up for 3D but he can probably do some.
Ralph White
Very nice job Ralph... Congratulation...

I will build my Aeroworks yak 54 QB 90-120 for now and I would like to know some advices to build that model. Which position do yuo think its better to put the battery and ignition. I will have the DLE-30 engine and elevator, aileron will be hitec 5645 and JR 8611a to rudder, battery will be 2 x fromeco 2600 2 cells lithium ion.

If you dont mind, please let me know issues to build that model...

Thank you

ROberto
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Ralph White

Roberto,
The only issue with the Aero-works Yak-54 QB might be the landing gear mount. My son broke the mount on his first Yak on a landing that was no really that bad. Had a little side force due to the wind when he landed. He repaired the mount by replacing the 3/16 pine wood with 1/4" aircraft plywood. It is a little bit of a job to replace the pine wood but it solved the problem. The mount has never broke again since the repair. On his second Yak he split the pine mount on a poor landing but just epoxied it back together.
You have to be very careful landing the Yak because of the weak landing gear mount. On a newly built Yak I would not change the wood to plywood until you make a bad landing causing damage to the pine mount. It's really not any harder to replace the pine after it is damage than it would be to replace prior to damage. Some people just run a bead of epoxy on the pine mount seams to help prevent the pine from breaking loose.
As for the battery and ignition, I have mine mounted to the front of the fuselage. I don't think it makes to much difference where you mount them as long as the plane balances correctly and you do not get the ignition (and wires) too close to the receiver (and wires).
Hope this helps,
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 AM
betomagno

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

Roberto,
The only issue with the Aero-works Yak-54 QB might be the landing gear mount. My son broke the mount on his first Yak on a landing that was no really that bad. Had a little side force due to the wind when he landed. He repaired the mount by replacing the 3/16 pine wood with 1/4'' aircraft plywood. It is a little bit of a job to replace the pine wood but it solved the problem. The mount has never broke again since the repair. On his second Yak he split the pine mount on a poor landing but just epoxied it back together.
You have to be very careful landing the Yak because of the weak landing gear mount. On a newly built Yak I would not change the wood to plywood until you make a bad landing causing damage to the pine mount. It's really not any harder to replace the pine after it is damage than it would be to replace prior to damage. Some people just run a bead of epoxy on the pine mount seams to help prevent the pine from breaking loose.
As for the battery and ignition, I have mine mounted to the front of the fuselage. I don't think it makes to much difference where you mount them as long as the plane balances correctly and you do not get the ignition (and wires) too close to the receiver (and wires).
Hope this helps,
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
ok Ralph.

Will help me for sure.

Thank you very much.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
chuck993

it seems to me, that a 120 sized Yak is not a good choice for a second airplane, that being said, good luck on the re-build...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Ralph White

Chuck
Yes, getting the Yak-54 was a little agressive on my son's part. But it is actually easier to build and fly than his first plane which was a .40 size Das Little Stick.
The Yak-54 rebuild is completed and now has a summer's worth of flying on it. It came out great. Go ahead and read the second and third pages of this thread.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL

Name:	Jg13991.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	1302854  
Old 10-27-2009, 02:55 PM
chuck993

I love Aeroworks, so I can see why you would get one, I love the quality.

I'm glad you were able to restore it. I was thinking of getting another YAK but I have been holding off, seems like I have mostly aerobatic/sport planes so I want to diversify some.

Chuck
Old 10-29-2009, 02:02 PM
havasucat
My Feedback: (3)

They have a new supply of 90-120 yak QB in stock now.
Got one ordered, Will be happy when it gets here.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Balsinator

I just took my Aeroworks 90-120 out of the box and boy am I impressed. I have been buying models from Nitro Planes thinking they were the same quality as the higher end versions. I had the Nitro model 69 inch Yak before but lost it in a crash. Since it wasn't available any more I decided to bite the bullet and pay for the similar size from Aeroworks. The only thing I am a little unsure of is the weight. It has a much more substantial construction and seems like it would weigh more than 69 inch Yak which was a QQ knock off. I am curious to see how it does with the 120 AX. I see someone is going to run a DLE 30 on it. Does anyone have one flying with a 30 ? I would like to know how that works. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 AM
erieqc

Here is another forum on these 90-120 Yaks this guy has a DLE 30 he might be able to help you.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4099610/anchors_9268194/mpage_104/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9268194[/link]
Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Cla911

Hello it has happened also to me of having a structural yielding in flight, but of the greater model, here the video of the repair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r31eXia_pUY

I must say that the company much serious one has been offered to send a new fuselage to me with the single cost of the shipment.
While I attend that it arrives I have tried to repair it and me it seems that or succeeded well, now it must alone test it.
excused my English
Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Ralph White

cla911,

You did an excellent job on the repair. It looks like it is as good as new. Now you have an extra Yak fuselage.

Ralph White
Neoga, IL
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Ralph White

Bumped up for JCFlyer
Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 AM
tater1

Ahhh Ralph,,the master Yoda of R/C,atrue craftsman of the highest caliber
Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
tater1

I see in one of your posts you mentioned the screw coming out of an elevator servo,this happened to me on the maiden of my aeroworks yak54 50cc,dual elevator servos saved the day,what loctite did you use to secure the servo screws?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.