Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Model Aviation Magazine >

Model Aviation Magazine

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Model Aviation Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 05:02 AM
My Feedback: (194)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Aviation Magazine

For pinball and Red S! Thanks for your input and support. I have not yet unplugged my word processor - in fact I write Electronics for IMAA's "High Flight " magazine and feel safe with still making a statement that I did long ago: With the exception of Clarence Lee, I probably get more mail than anyone else in the model press.
Red, since you are familiar with the superiority of Radio Control Model World, you know that I do a lot with them - Pasadena, Toledo and a lot of events in Latin America. Not my favorite work, but they also bring mail. I do plan to send some electronic articles to RCMW. A couple of issues from now will have a report of a powered glider event in Argentina, and the next sister magazine "International Jets" will have my work on the Best In The West turbine event here. Anyway, thanks again. Eloy
Old 08-17-2003, 04:32 PM

I've been building model airplanes for more than 1/2 a century (my God, even I'm scared at that old #%*%#* that sneaks into my mirror each night!). Even so, I must live in the backwaters of society-I've never heard of many of the mags mentioned here. How do I subscribe to mags that aren't sold here?
Sturmvogel
Old 08-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Out of curiosity, what model magazines are you familiar with? Then perhaps we can point you toward the ones that you have not run into.

Red S.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:23 PM

I subscribe to MAN, MA, FM, Backyard Flier, NFFS & SAM.
sTURMVOGEL
Old 08-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sturmvogel
I subscribe to MAN, MA, FM, Backyard Flier, NFFS & SAM.
sTURMVOGEL
Not bad, but your are missing one of the better magazines - R/C Report http://www.rcreport.ws/

Then there is R/C Modler Magazine http://www.rcmmagazine.com - if you like lots of adds then this is for you. I don't think it has as much content as MAN and not nearly as much as RC Report.

A bit pricey is the wonderful R/C Model World that comes out of the UK - It kind of puts the rest to shame with its art work, and full size plans each month. www.rcmodelworld.com
Old 08-18-2003, 11:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Only my 2 cents worth:

1 - Most of AMA members are R/C flyers. But we don't expect AMA to take all pages dedicated to U/C out of the Model Aviation. The same applies to some aspects of our hobby with little interest, if compared with others (Slope Soaring, Free Flight).

2 - Not every one likes ARF. Even those who buys an ARF because of time constrain, might have interest in other subjects.
Otherwise, why should we have RC Scale ? You must be the builder, right ? No ARF's here.

Eloy, we will miss you there.
But, I am glad we can still have you at High Flight.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:52 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by *Crash*Johnson*
They actually snuck in everyone's bathroom and stole the magazine back and had the pages analyzed for oils to see how many people read those articles then snuck them back in your bathroom while you slept.

Very efficient they are!
So THATS what that noise was!

It will be disappointing to see yet another technical column disappear. It seems the trend of society in general.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (21)

euqor,

Unfortunately, what you mention in point #1 is EXACTLY what many AMA members expect the people behind Model Aviation to do. 90% of the AMA membership is involved in R/C sport flying, therefore 90% of Model Aviation should be dedicated to R/C sport flying... That's the logic.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:45 PM

The discussion here is why I HATE seing model aviation described as a "sport" . It is, to many of us, a hobby. That means we experiment and learn. I read the Mag from cover-to-cover, except the ARF Reviews. I learn a whole lot more from the U/C and FF collums than the RC, in general, simply because they often discuss techniques- like trimming, building, finishing.
Most of the RC Collums I view like the fishing shows on TV-"Hey, look at how good I am! See all this neat stuff!"
If you view model aviation as a passtime or sport, the the magazine is not a big help except the ads

Roger
Now in Ft Worth-where the West begins
Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Banned

I've never looked at it from this prospective, but when I think about it Roger is right on track. When I go to an IMAA meet I am irritated by the hour block in the middle of the day given to torque rolling while the rest of us wait to see a beautifully executed Fairchild 24 fly. It is boiling down to the sports vs the hobbyist.

Red S.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Red Scholefield
I've never looked at it from this prospective, but when I think about it Roger is right on track. When I go to an IMAA meet I am irritated by the hour block in the middle of the day given to torque rolling while the rest of us wait to see a beautifully executed Fairchild 24 fly. It is boiling down to the sports vs the hobbyist.

Red S.
We are clearly having some serious problems with semantics getting in the way of our goals!

I hate to see people define us to the 'authorities' who have park land and other potential flying sits as pure hobbyists. Hard to get folks to turn loose of potential soccer fields for a hobby but easier to do for a sport. Soooo which way do we swing?

Roger is right, and Red has an extremely valid point. The problem is that we have to define what we do as a sport to get 'face time' with governmental decision makers who have control of lands we want to use. I would prefer we did not give up so easily on the 'sport' designation.

However, the example Red cited has been a growing problem and will continue to do so until the IMAA (or the CD?) takes actions to severely limit the sport part and encourage the hobby part of the events. In fact I reamed the High Flight editor over reporting (and thereby encouraging) that exact type of activity at the 1996 Rally of the Giants because it was the WRONG venue for that activity (that I viewed as less than safe).

The point is that the IMAA meets are hobby events and the activities should be targeted toward that type of venue. The hour set aside is needed to attract the guys with the planes and capability for these days they are the show and the giant scale is no longer special enough to carry the event without the 3D help. You and I appreciate the well excuted giant scale model but the paying spectators are looking for some more sizzle to the show and the 3D guys provide that.

That does not mean it has to be that way all the time as a really good 3D guy (at least the ones *I* fly with) are good enough to work it around my antics. Then again, I leave them some room to work with. You can hear us on the flight line . "Where are you?" and "I am going to stay low" or "Going over high". The issue there is not who is flying were but what is happening? Are we flying are having ego trips. It astounds me to see how many are doing the latter.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:07 AM
J_R

Eloy

I am curious about the inspiration for your article in the September edition of MA. What made you think about using a PC power supply?

JR
Old 08-21-2003, 02:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So, no more columns about the guts of our hobby, how to tweak and understand electronics that work our planes?

These magazines are going to the dogs. I just got my MA, MAN, and RCM for this month and all three suck, and have sucked all year. Every month is the same thing. Old time control line models followed by Jets over Deland followed by tons of adds, columns and reviews for cheap foam park flyers and made in China ARFs.

Gone are the reviews about regular sport engines, .40 size sport RC planes, Warbirds made from plans, and schematics about building your own peak chargers, micro servos, and frequency scanners. Its like everyone is either flying free flight Buzzard Bombshells, Firebirds, or $7000.00 Unlimited Bipes powered by 40 hp turbines. Doesn't anybody fly a plain old Supersportster anymore with a .46 anymore?

Must be part of the new "Gotta have it now, pre-made, and ready to fall apart so I can by another one right now and max my credit card or spend my life savings" generation.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I feel the magazines are really getting redundant and narrow in what they are offering.

Scott

P.S. I have been getting the park flyer mag because the girls on the cover are cute!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:07 AM

Don't get me wrong, guys- there is plenty of "Sport" involved in Model Aviation. The magazine, however, should (and usually does) promote the hobby side of the thing. And for the "sport Flier" that is not something he is interested in...usually
Old 08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by rw Guinn
The discussion here is why I HATE seing model aviation described as a "sport" . It is, to many of us, a hobby.
Roger
Now in Ft Worth-where the West begins
This problem has been around for a long time, and not just here. People call soccer, football, baseball, and basketball sports, when they are actually GAMES.

But, that's the way it goes.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:17 AM

This makes less sense.

MA axes Eloy Marez's column due to "lack of reader interest", yet in the October issue there are TWO articles on electronics by guest writers.

Guess that there is a "story behind the story" on this saga...