Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA dues increase

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA dues increase

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM
THOMKP J
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA dues increase

Littlecrankshaft sir, tell it like it is! Thank You
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

If it did go up we would pay it right? We buy it just for the insurance. Most of us could live without muncie's site. Most of us could live without the mag. I guess where it comes to it, take away the insurance, what % of the members would still join.

I have always put my faith in the venders to protect us and them. The venders would spend the money to keep our hobby so don't sell the AMA is more than insurance.

Well, I need to get back to it, work is busy and I have to attend another profile event this weekend. You know the noted safest event one could have. 3D profile flying all day and all night.

Thanks
Crash99
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: crash99

If it did go up we would pay it right? We buy it just for the insurance. Most of us could live without muncie's site. Most of us could live without the mag. I guess where it comes to it, take away the insurance, what % of the members would still join.
//SNIP//
Thanks
Crash99
IMO, when this FAA's Community Base Organization (CBO) all gets settled and you have to be a member of that CBO (ONLY AMA is qualified for the "Naton-Wide ..." requirement) to fly RC with reasonable RC rules, then you will see the dues go up significantly. Not much of a choice is there? It will be - IMO - very interesting times.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

//SNIP//
Thanks
Crash99
IMO, when this FAA's Community Base Organization (CBO) all gets settled and you have to be a member of that CBO (ONLY AMA is qualified for the "Naton-Wide ..." requirement) to fly RC with reasonable RC rules, then you will see the dues go up significantly. Not much of a choice is there? It will be - IMO - very interesting times.
Hoss I agree with you 100%.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
crash99

If that happens, do you feel an increase or decrease in membership? Will there be more fields become "outlaws" fields? There are a lot now? If that happens then will this be the end of the AMA as we know it.

It will be harder for city clubs but this might make it easier for non city clubs to drift away from their radar.

Crash99
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that happens, do you feel an increase or decrease in membership? Will there be more fields become ''outlaws'' fields? There are a lot now? If that happens then will this be the end of the AMA as we know it.

It will be harder for city clubs but this might make it easier for non city clubs to drift away from their radar.

Crash99
No, to your questions, Crash99. As a former (maybe still, I don't know) Fixed Base Operator, very close to the EAA, and also a very intelligent businessman, Mr. Dave Mathewson, now AMA's Executive Director, knows all the ropes to jump, and ladders to climb. This getting many youths into the AMA certainly is a good thing in the business of AMA.
Everyone likes youth programs. Obtaining the FAA to allow the "Community Based Organization" to be the Safety-Rule maker for RC flying, while FAA rules will
be much more demanding. Therefore almost all clubs will be AMA and thus all fliers will want to be in a club so they will pay whatever AMA asks, just to not be under FAA, or at least that is how my little brain computes all the evidence.

If AMA leaders did not see a cash cow in the near future, how would they expect to finance this new Foundation program? Many of us that wanted AMA to go there have been laughed at for many years. Now in one EC meeting, the foundation is approved, and all the formalities set into operation.

No Sir, Mr Crash99, I see AMA will be here for along time providing certain things don't happen in early Nov. that will set the whole country on its backside. That's another story!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 AM
crash99

We both see people complain about the dues. My take it is all about flying. Here is a short story.

A older man stop by the field for a few weeks in a row bending everyone's ear about AMA this and AMA that. This person and that person from the old days of the AMA. I think we are a bunch of good guys and we are very active all year around.

But after hearing the same stories over and over I told the guy, Look .... I don't think we really care to much about the AMA except for the insurance. See what's going on in the sky? Flying. That is what we want to do. We fly for the fun of it. He turn red and said if it was not for this person or that person you would not even have a flying club. I agreed with him but you might want to tone it down a little.

If you would like, I will take you up on my trainer and get you some fly time and have some fun. He still got red in the face and said how can you not want to hear about the AMA. He got up and left.

Later we found out he burnt out a welcome to other area clubs. See, I don't think people will pay blindly. All we want to do is fly. Insurance is all I get out of the AMA. I don't have faith in the AMA. Maybe due to we live in Missouri and the VP never visits. We even offered to put him up at a nice resort but he was to busy.

Crash99
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

We both see people complain about the dues. My take it is all about flying. Here is a short story.

A older man stop by the field for a few weeks in a row bending everyone's ear about AMA this and AMA that. This person and that person from the old days of the AMA. I think we are a bunch of good guys and we are very active all year around.

But after hearing the same stories over and over I told the guy, Look .... I don't think we really care to much about the AMA except for the insurance. See what's going on in the sky? Flying. That is what we want to do. We fly for the fun of it. He turn red and said if it was not for this person or that person you would not even have a flying club. I agreed with him but you might want to tone it down a little.

If you would like, I will take you up on my trainer and get you some fly time and have some fun. He still got red in the face and said how can you not want to hear about the AMA. He got up and left.

Later we found out he burnt out a welcome to other area clubs. See, I don't think people will pay blindly. All we want to do is fly. Insurance is all I get out of the AMA. I don't have faith in the AMA. Maybe due to we live in Missouri and the VP never visits. We even offered to put him up at a nice resort but he was to busy.

Crash99

Your story is very familiar. It seems AMA is more like a "religion" than a membership organization intent on promoting model aviation. If FAA provides for the CBO status that most here anticipate, there will be only one denominational choice...AMA... What a whacked world that would be!

FWIW I flew models for a long time without AMA and will certainly continue regardless of AMA or FAA. Since I have and always will have abundant alternate flying sites, I only joined AMA to support a local club here... that I "perceived" at the time as doing something really good for the community. Man...when I got in there and seen how that AMA religion had worked on them, I was appalled to say the least... Found this forum and others like this forum only to confirm that distasteful "religious practice" is rampant! Of course all clubs aren't that way but it is really hard...almost impossible to find examples that are otherwise... Much easier to find those that say and are adamant that they will not fly with non-AMA modelers though...

Man! What the hell happened????

Somewhere in the past AMA must have quit pushing for the members to promote model aviation. Instead I guess AMA was happy just to have members only promote AMA's religion...

It wasn't until Dave M's column in the last MA that I had any hope for anyone to open their eyes and see what is really going on in our hobby...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM
crash99

I am glad to be here in our club. Everyone gets along and we just want to fly. No control freaks, no ones hobby is running the club. We have another event comming this weekend and so far I received 4 emails wanting to know what Can I do to help. Saturday we will have Smoke chicken for lunch and smoked pork loin for dinner.

It's a shame that guy did not stay with us and re learn flying is fun. I know he would had fit in as soon as he started to fly again. We just had 3 more guys show up in the last few weeks. We really only have one rule in stone. You must get your AMA.

But if the AMA keeps going up, we will have to see if the other Missouri clubs do. I can see clubs leaving the AMA and going to a local insurance for their protection.

Crash99
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

But if the AMA keeps going up, we will have to see if the other Missouri clubs do. I can see clubs leaving the AMA and going to a local insurance for their protection.

Crash99
Crash,

The AMA costs to a club is going to have to go up a great amount before any other "local insurance" will be a better alternative... Keep in mind that every AMA member's dues subsidizes AMA club's insurance...even if they only fly rubber powered models indoors and don't belong to a club...