Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Land Fills and Runways

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Land Fills and Runways

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Fills and Runways

There are four clubs in our area. All are very good clubs and all four are on land fills. A fifth club is now in the process of developing another site on a closed land fill. How many other clubs are on land fills? The AMA helped us 19 years ago with our project. Still going strong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28309.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1814156  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Land Fills and Runways

Do you mean like this :

http://www.flyjcrc.com/

Talk about a sweet field.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM
greenjeep
My Feedback: (3)

www.nfmi.org/

Seems like a good way to go.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 AM
aerofly0610

www.flyvam.com my home away from home
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

http://dbrca.org/index.htm
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM
jimsach

Our Club, in Columbus, IN, flies from a closed landfill. We started flying there during the summer of '07, shortly after our Club was chartered. The only drawback is the 'settling' that is natural to the surface of a landfill, which causes changes in grade over time. We've been able to deal with that quite well, and, this year, the Solid Waste Management District hired a contractor to regrade the site. Our Club was able to pay a reasonable fee to the contractor to do some extra work, and we will have an even better place to fly next season. Check us out at [link]http://www.bcrcfliers.org[/link] .
Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

down here, the regulations require a vent pipe to be in place every so many square ft of the landfill surface to bleed off gas. these pipes generally are 3-4 ft protruding above the surface, and close enough together that establishing runways and such is a rather difficult task.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM
koastrc

Those are garbage dumps, I was talking land fills with stuff other than garbage. Methane gas is the gas in garbage dumps. The reason for the vents.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: koastrc

Those are garbage dumps, I was talking land fills with stuff other than garbage. Methane gas is the gas in garbage dumps. The reason for the vents.
Not sure what you mean by "landfill" but most people around here seem to use "dump" and "landfill" interchangeably. What type is the landfills you wish to discuss?

FWIW three of the flying fields around here are old dump landfills. Grateful to have them but it sure would be awesome if model aviation was recognized as a little more worthwhile to get some of the better ground.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: koastrc

In many areas they are one and the same.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The landfills I have seen with the gas vent pipes around DFW do not have so many that it would be a huge issue to work around to have a flying field.

The WAMS club in Weatherford has had a decent flying site on a landfill for a number of years. There is a landfill in Dallas near Lewisville that we occasionally slope soar from....but it is still active in places and the aroma is less than enticing....

A landfill sure beats no flying field, but I am glad we (Fort Worth Thunderbirds) have a great field on US Army Corps of Engineers park property. It was featured in MA a couple of months ago. We were able to obtain a good bit of Corp funding for moving our field from one part of the park to another for safety reasons, but we in the club also put in about 60K to make it happen.

Let me extend an invitation to any AMA member to stop by and fly with us. The field is semi public and you do not have to be a member of the club to fly there. (We lease the property from the Corp) The field is on the south end of Benbrook Lake, just west of Mustang Park. Come by and fly sometime.

Aerial photos attached.

Name:	Qo39328.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1814984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36076.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1814985  
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM
wickedpissa
My Feedback: (1)

let me give you my experience with landfills, I was a member of a rather large club in south Florida that had their club on the top of a landfill it is now a golf course. i do not know the details as i moved from Florida years a ago but I can assume that i was from the encroaching housing development.  

there is another example of a club that was on top of a landfill that was electric only, due to noise.  that club was closed because they are now building a solar farm on top of the dump 
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: wickedpissa

let me give you my experience with landfills, I was a member of a rather large club in south Florida that had their club on the top of a landfill it is now a golf course. i do not know the details as i moved from Florida years a ago but I can assume that i was from the encroaching housing development.

there is another example of a club that was on top of a landfill that was electric only, due to noise. that club was closed because they are now building a solar farm on top of the dump
Thanks for your input...sometimes we take things for granted and lack appreciation for what it is we have...and we often forget everything eventually comes to an end...instead we often become complacent and selfishly fail to take the actions that protect our position the most...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: mongo

down here, the regulations require a vent pipe to be in place every so many square ft of the landfill surface to bleed off gas. these pipes generally are 3-4 ft protruding above the surface, and close enough together that establishing runways and such is a rather difficult task.
Start a company to re-capture the gas! It's done here in KY. I'm a TX grad... I love TX almost as much as KY! Go Coogs!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a nice club field on a landfill here in Mobile Alabama. The only problem that is we have a asphalt runway and every couple of years it develops some pretty big cracks and parts sink. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to repair something like that? So far what we've done is to put sand in the cracks and then use concrete to patch and level it.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The repair is simply to do what you are currently doing. The cure is more involved, and requires stablizing the soil under the runway.
An extreme case/ example involves placing a significant "overburden" on the soil, letting it sit for several months, removing it, and then repaving the runway.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:53 PM
musterpilot

This is my flying site in the outback Western Australia

Name:	Om31944.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1822857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93023.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1822858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71505.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1822859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26446.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1822860  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

How is it that some sites allow development - buildings, paved runway/taxiway, pole shelter, etc., ?

Our local club is on a landfill (I agree, same as dump) and is not allowed to fill low spots, put up any structure that penetrates more the 12", or have electric. One would think it's a Superfund site or nuke repository. They did move some of the vents to facilitate a runway.
 I can only assume the clubs with such improvements are adjoining (not on top of) the actual landfill, or have very different oversight.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Scota4570

http://www.salinasareamodelers.org/field.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLZqreMvG2U
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to try this again. My previous post got lost on upload. My club flys from a sealed and covered flyash dump. It's at the top of a 40 or 50' hill. It has an active farm on one side, a Metroparks bike trail, two sealed sanitary landfills, an active sanitary landfill, and a semi protected wetland on two other sides. We have a runway approximately 100' X 450'. The cover is thick enough to have let us put up a flagpole and a windsock. We have about 40 or 50 acres to the East to fly over. Closest neighbor is the property owner, almost 1000' away. Area around our area is usually planted in soy and winter wheat. We fly anything from micro ERC to 40% scale and Turbines. Also when there's no RC flying going on, some of us fly CL, FF, and Rockets. We have a very good relationship with the property owner.

Name:	Wt59054.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1843082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93709.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1843083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68990.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.2 KB