Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

interesting reading

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

interesting reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:23 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default interesting reading

for those concerned with the minutiae of regulation arguments:

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240

the view from the FAA itself.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo

Yep, the view from FAA or at least the person to give the update is exactly what we should have expected all along...It's clear that FAA will show us who the "boss" is regardless...Its a good thing AMA signed the agreement FAA wanted...a lot easier when the strings are attached.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by mongo

There is nothing new here, The FAA has always been the ringmaster of this flying circus. As long as we get our ring to play in, I am happy.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Until the FAA gets ta humpin', they ain't no regulations for model airplanes with cameras. The laws are toothless, until I see club fields being operated like FBO's, asking for medical certificates.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
Until the FAA gets ta humpin', they ain't no regulations for model airplanes with cameras. The laws are toothless, until I see club fields being operated like FBO's, asking for medical certificates.

As long as you are pursuing happiness for noncommercial reasons I support you. Just fly safely without endangering property or persons.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe
As long as you are pursuing happiness for noncommercial reasons I support you. Just fly safely without endangering property or persons.
Are you the one that issues the license or permit for that privilege? Did you just grant NFS the privilege to fly? If no, where do I apply for that privilege?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
are you the one that issues the license or permit for that privilege? Did you just grant nfs the privilege to fly? If no, where do i apply for that privilege?
lol!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
JW0311

Are we expecting the FAA to leave the regulation and enforcement of all things model aviation up to the CBO or would the FAA want to set the guidelines for the CBO? Given the FAA's strict regulation of aviation, would we expect to see their influence in model aviation? I understand that the comparison between model aviation and civil/commercial aviation is not apples to apples if you will; however, I wonder if the FAA will see it that way? Should I expect to go through a certification process to fly my planes and will my planes need to have an air worthiness certificate? It's not my intention to be a jerk here. I'm truly curious. Or am I putting the cart before the horse?

James
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JW0311
Should I expect to go through a certification process to fly my planes and will my planes need to have an air worthiness certificate? It's not my intention to be a jerk here. I'm truly curious. Or am I putting the cart before the horse?

James
that's exactly where we are headed. AMA has already started the process as they now have a large model inspection process for their certification purposes.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM
JohnShe

Are we expecting the FAA to leave the regulation and enforcement of all things model aviation up to the CBO or would the FAA want to set the guidelines for the CBO? Given the FAA's strict regulation of aviation, would we expect to see their influence in model aviation? I understand that the comparison between model aviation and civil/commercial aviation is not apples to apples if you will; however, I wonder if the FAA will see it that way? Should I expect to go through a certification process to fly my planes and will my planes need to have an air worthiness certificate? It's not my intention to be a jerk here. I'm truly curious. Or am I putting the cart before the horse?

James
James, there are many threads on this forum covering the topics of your post. In short form, expressed as my personal opinion only, based on what the FAA spokespeople have said and on what the AMA has said, there will be no extreme regulation of model aviation. This opinion is not 100% shared by all who post here but there is some consensus.

The FAA has told us at AMA forums that they do not want to regulate model aviation. Instead, they just want us to fly responsibly according to a set of rules spelled out by the AMA. The AMA in turn has signed and agreement with the FAA that seems to express this concept.

Therefore, there will be no certifications, no licensing and even AMA membership is not required. So go on and have fun, safely and responsibly.

I do have a licensing scheme cooked up for LCS. He will pay me $200,000.00 for a license permit. After he passes an impossible written test, I will return $100,000.00 with a license scribbled on a used post-it note. If he wants to fly an aircraft of any kind, I will certify the airframe for a fee of $500,000.00 if he ships the aircraft to me and allows me to thoroughly inspect and test it for 6 months. After the tests have been completed. I will return the pieces of his aircraft along with an air-worthiness certificate written on a used post-it note.

Last edited by JohnShe; 03-05-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Oops!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM
JW0311

JohnShe, Is shipping included in the 200,000 or is that to be paid by LCS and would he get a discount for disassemble prior to shipping the aircraft to you to you? My hope is that the FAA will not decide to change their mind on regulation. They have been known to do that. Though a certification process would not be a bad idea for me given my flying ability. Oh. I think a pink post it note would be the most appropriate color for the certificate. Just my opinion.

James
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM
littlecrankshaf

I do have a licensing scheme cooked up for LCS. He will pay me $200,000.00 for a license permit. After he passes an impossible written test, I will return $100,000.00 with a license scribbled on a used post-it note. If he wants to fly an aircraft of any kind, I will certify the airframe for a fee of $500,000.00 if he ships the aircraft to me and allows me to thoroughly inspect and test it for 6 months. After the tests have been completed. I will return the pieces of his aircraft along with an air-worthiness certificate written on a used post-it note.
I want a brand new post-it note!
Here's some reading...they grow and grow...sound familiar?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/520-a.pdf
really got to love this line...what it doesn't say is more important than what it does; All pertinent regulations from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) shall be applicable."
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
littlecrankshaf

JohnShe, Is shipping included in the 200,000 or is that to be paid by LCS and would he get a discount for disassemble prior to shipping the aircraft to you to you? .

James
Come on now...you should know I would just fly it there... Just like I drove to get my drivers license.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
JohnShe

I want a brand new post-it note!
Here's some reading...they grow and grow...sound familiar?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/520-a.pdf
really got to love this line...what it doesn't say is more important than what it does; All pertinent regulations from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) shall be applicable."
I've read most of the good stuff. And, yes, the ball is still in the air and it could get ugly when it bounces.

As for your post-it notes, A new one will cost you $100,00.00 extra, your choice of color is another $100,000.00.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
JohnShe

JohnShe, Is shipping included in the 200,000 or is that to be paid by LCS and would he get a discount for disassemble prior to shipping the aircraft to you to you? My hope is that the FAA will not decide to change their mind on regulation. They have been known to do that. Though a certification process would not be a bad idea for me given my flying ability. Oh. I think a pink post it note would be the most appropriate color for the certificate. Just my opinion.

James
What, me pay shipping? Don't be serious! See my reply to LCS for post-it note choices.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
JW0311

So is the nature of government. This is kind of my fear. Not to engage in a conspiracy theory or such, but there are plenty of examples of regulation going to extremes. The AMA Safety Code, as it exists, seems to cover safety pretty well. I fear that there will be an attempt to regulate for any eventuality or scenario. Not possible in my opinion. The internet is littered with videos of humans engaging in activities that end with a 911 call. Model aviation included. It is simply human nature. Good luck regulating that. I'm not sure it would be a stretch to see that same document with the title changed to all Model aircraft. I hope i'm wrong.

James
Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

I've read most of the good stuff. And, yes, the ball is still in the air and it could get ugly when it bounces.

As for your post-it notes, A new one will cost you $100,00.00 extra, your choice of color is another $100,000.00.
You must be government trained...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO, NO, NO....if he were government trained, he would have formed a committee first
Old 03-05-2014, 05:18 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Luchnia
NO, NO, NO....if he were government trained, he would have formed a committee first
So, he's the President?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
JW0311

All those in favor of convening a committee to discuss the possibility of forming a committee? Because we all know that always works.

James
Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

All those in favor of convening a committee to discuss the possibility of forming a committee? Because we all know that always works.

James
Ay... Committees need committees too...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 PM
JohnShe

So is the nature of government. This is kind of my fear. Not to engage in a conspiracy theory or such, but there are plenty of examples of regulation going to extremes. The AMA Safety Code, as it exists, seems to cover safety pretty well. I fear that there will be an attempt to regulate for any eventuality or scenario. Not possible in my opinion. The internet is littered with videos of humans engaging in activities that end with a 911 call. Model aviation included. It is simply human nature. Good luck regulating that. I'm not sure it would be a stretch to see that same document with the title changed to all Model aircraft. I hope i'm wrong.

James
Yep, things could get out of hand real easy. All it would take is some buffoon with and FPV rig to cause a death or really serious damage. There are entirely too many close calls on Yoo-Toob already.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
JohnShe

I took a civics course in elementary school.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 PM
JohnShe

Ay... Committees need committees too...

Right-on, first you have a committee to establish the protocols that the committee to discuss the need for a committee will use.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM
littlecrankshaf

Right-on, first you have a committee to establish the protocols that the committee to discuss the need for a committee will use.
Stop! Your making my head hurt...I'm still working on which came first...the chicken or the egg...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.