Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question for Horrace Cain, candidate for AMA Executive VP in 2014 re: AMA and drones

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question for Horrace Cain, candidate for AMA Executive VP in 2014 re: AMA and drones

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Exactly, I am a member of the AMA and a member of a club, but, I do most of my flying from my pasture. As long as I follow the rules AMA set forth I am covered by the insurance, is that not what the AMA is really for "To insure" us modelers.
HMMM...I think you got a point... That's why I see so many well heeled modelers fly those expensive models that are way beyond their capabilities...
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

I stand corrected. I thought the AMA was for supporting AMA fields. I think I need to research the AMA mission.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Finally we are getting to the important issue.!!!!

Just like the failed attempt to ban "assault weapons" based on physical characteristics when all along the issue needed to be how the weapon was used, the simplistic recommendation to have the AMA move away from supporting certain air frame types based on physical characteristics will fail.

It has always been how the air frame is used.......................... recreational or commercial. FPV is NOT THE ISSUE. Put a camera on a conventional RC model fly it from the ground to take photographs for sale and you have commercial use.

I do not support the AMA getting into the "commercial use" minefield! But to focus the solution on banning multi trotors or FPV IS NOT WHAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM! It is the RC equivalent of a Dianne Feinstein stupid "Assault Weapon Ban".
Very VERY well said ! Thank You Brad , I figured you , being one who loves to fly and see flying all types of models as I do , would be one of the folks who DO understand that #550 compliant hobby FPV , no matter what is carrying the camera , is not the bogeyman it's being made out to be . Earlier in the thread I had mentioned the difference between hobby vs commercial and how if the AMA ventures into the commercial arena we as hobbyists are pretty much done for , voice wise . LCS says it best when he says "The AMA should be promoting the hobby first rather than promoting itself above the hobby" and if commercial Drone operations do end up requiring some form of government mandated insurance as I'm sure that's what is coming for them , I do NOT want our AMA becoming that govt. mandated insurance policy / set of operating regulations . A healthy distance between the hobby VS commercial uses of our similar equipment will go a long way in protecting our interests rather than rely on a "one size fits all" organization , which is what I see the AMA aspiring to be with it's latest moves .
Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by init4fun
Very VERY well said ! Thank You Brad , I figured you , being one who loves to fly and see flying all types of models as I do , would be one of the folks who DO understand that #550 compliant hobby FPV , no matter what is carrying the camera , is not the bogeyman it's being made out to be . Earlier in the thread I had mentioned the difference between hobby vs commercial and how if the AMA ventures into the commercial arena we as hobbyists are pretty much done for , voice wise . LCS says it best when he says "The AMA should be promoting the hobby first rather than promoting itself above the hobby" and if commercial Drone operations do end up requiring some form of government mandated insurance as I'm sure that's what is coming for them , I do NOT want our AMA becoming that govt. mandated insurance policy / set of operating regulations . A healthy distance between the hobby VS commercial uses of our similar equipment will go a long way in protecting our interests rather than rely on a "one size fits all" organization , which is what I see the AMA aspiring to be with it's latest moves .
thanks, IMHO the only way the AMA has any chance in surviving the ever increasing FAA regulatory environment is TO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH COMMERCIAL USE.

Welcome all types of models to our club fields, continue to support model aviation when flown anywhere AS LONG AS THE SAFETY CODE IS FOLLOWED.

Welcome FPV piloting of models to our club fields continue to support model aviation when flown anywhere AS LONG AS THE SAFETY CODE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS SUCH AS #550 ARE FOLLOWED.

That is how we differentiate ourselves from those that fly unsafely.
That is how we differentiate ourselves from those that fly commercially.

This is how WE SUPPORT MODEL AVIATION!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdbuell
Its only an insult if you feel like you fit the definition of circle flyer.
For me a circle flyer is a type of flyer who spends most of the day at the field complaining about one thing or another and talking about "the good old days"
They are very resistant to any type of change and fear anything outside of their chosen style of flyer. They also spend a large majority of the time talking about how dangerous some of style of flying is. Even though they crash more then anyone at the field usually because of a mix of poor electronics set ups, overweight builds, or general pilot error and lack of understanding of how to actually fly a plane. They also enjoy above all else making and enforcing rules.
I learned how to build and fly by older guys who learned to fly first CL then RC and if you listen to them instead of disregarding them or making fun of them you might be a better builder and flyer. BTW They have paid their dues and its our turn to respect them at the club field that most of them built while you were in diapers . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 10-07-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:05 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf;11895125[COLOR=#b22222
]Kids nowadays...they just don't want to listen to authority![/COLOR] lol
Damn Crankey U noticed that 'Bout Kids but then the problem with the FAA is they are the Rule Maker, Judge, Jury, and Executioner. much like the IRS sept the IRS don't make the rules congress does. But U see with the interpation of #336 the FAA pretty much told congress where to stick it.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Damn Crankey U noticed that 'Bout Kids but then the problem with the FAA is they are the Rule Maker, Judge, Jury, and Executioner. much like the IRS sept the IRS don't make the rules congress does. But U see with the interpation of #336 the FAA pretty much told congress where to stick it.
What Congress do we have one ? lol joe
Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 PM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

My two bits worth:

1. Horace Cain is great guy and would be an asset to our organization. He is a promoter of the hobby and has done many great things to insure many people have had a chance to enjoy the hobby. Horace is very active in the hobby and is a great builder and flyer and is always willing to help others.

2. I went to the member search on RCU and searched the profiles of the people who have responded to this thread. Four, including myself, are members of a AMA sanctioned club. The other three do not indicate a membership in a club.

3. There are 513,428 members of RCU. I could find no breakdown of car or boat enthusiast that are included in the total number of members. I would suspect a large number of RCU members are not AMA members. And I know you do not have to be a member of a club to join AMA. I was a member of AMA for many years when I wore a young man's clothes and lived on a farm. I, as far as I know, was the only person flying R/C in the whole county. I joined because it was the right thing to do and I wanted to be able to attend and fly at AMA events.

4. The multi rotors are here to stay. You can buy small ones at toy stores and very large and sophisticated ones online. There is no way to regulate them. There will be accidents, there is no way to avoid them. I just read an article in a model magazine about an autopilot that can be purchased for $239.00 and it has GPS waypoint capabilities included. The author was telling how he programed in waypoints on Google maps and sent the quad copter on its way, sight unseen until it returned to him. I fly full scale and know how hard it is to spot other aircraft in the air with you. There is no way I would be able to spot a relatively very small quad copter zipping across the sky. We will read about someone's encounter with one. And the media will love it!

5. I am one of the old guys, retired, going back in the basement to continue working on a Good brothers 1936 Guff with a 96" wingspan. Thanks, Horace, for inspiring me on this one.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Captain Cain,
I voted, for you. I like people I know in office and I hope we get you in office for a while. I fly all disciplines of models, FF, CL, and RC. I like Pattern and Scale. Stunt and Scale, and Scale. So you might remember me as a real airplane guy that flies airplanes and models. In any case, I have a lot of faith in your desire to make a better AMA and the past direction is against my competition model airplane flying background. As the competitive events fall by the wayside, commercial interests open. not interested, i already fly for a living, thanks. This is for fun, and friendly competition is my bag, from years of of, from the Navy Nats as a child to the local and state wide travels today.
Good luck, Cap.
Chris...
Old 10-07-2014, 06:47 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by bradpaul
thanks, IMHO the only way the AMA has any chance in surviving the ever increasing FAA regulatory environment is TO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH COMMERCIAL USE.

Welcome all types of models to our club fields, continue to support model aviation when flown anywhere AS LONG AS THE SAFETY CODE IS FOLLOWED.

Welcome FPV piloting of models to our club fields continue to support model aviation when flown anywhere AS LONG AS THE SAFETY CODE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS SUCH AS #550 ARE FOLLOWED.

That is how we differentiate ourselves from those that fly unsafely.
That is how we differentiate ourselves from those that fly commercially.

This is how WE SUPPORT MODEL AVIATION!
Totally in agreement with this, Brad. 50% - 1 of the EC apparently agrees too. This IMHO is the most important current AMA issue directly relevant to the thread topic. I think (uncertain, correct me if I'm wrong) the EVP votes on issues before the EC, and doubtless Fitch voted with the thin majority, as he is the ED's man and this is a staff run program...........an unusual one as staff has been authorized to operate while bypassing the usual EC checks and balances, supposedly in the interest of expediting the process. Semantics I guess, but I see it as haste and neglect of duty rather than expediency. Anyhow, I think the outcome of the vote to support AMA investment in bringing commercial drones into their purview would have been different if Hoss had been in the EVP seat. That's a couple of reasons why he'll be getting my vote. Either the commercial drone (wannabe) involvement per se, or willingness of some elected officials to turn over their responsibility to staff is enough for me to say NO, and I think Hoss can and will ably carry that message.

cj
Old 10-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks CJ and all others with some kind words for Ol' Hoss. Now if I should get elected, I beg of you all to be ready to provide those swift kicks in the backside to keep me on track. Those times will happen, however those that want the Academy of Model Aeronautics to be a real leader of all Aero-Modeling in all aspects, please do not be afraid to tell it like YOU see it.
Thanks again to all.