Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:06 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Lol...of course...a one off event like this will most likely result in a govt worker arriving at THAT conclusion. Too funny.
This is hardly a one off event:
"In 2014, there were four known instances of drones interfering with aerial firefighting operations" http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...f-firefighters

"FAA probes drone near miss with Reno Firefighting helicopter" http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...ighting-copter

And now this. Five events that interfere with events that put people and millions in property at risk are hardly "one off".
Old 06-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Thought registration fixed all that and everyone's now a AMA member following the rules.
Mike
I don't recall the DOT/FAA ever stating registration would fix everything or that AMA membership was mandatory. Where did you get that from?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yeah, and it runs the risk of someone in government saying that "this self regulation thing clearly isn't working."
Was the pilot in this instance a member of a CBO under self regulation? Could it be a disgruntled individual operating intentionally to cause interference?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

"In 2014, there were four known instances of drones interfering with aerial firefighting operations" http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...f-firefighters

"FAA probes drone near miss with Reno Firefighting helicopter" http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...ighting-copter

And now this. Five events that interfere with events that put people and millions in property at risk are hardly "one off".
Every commercial airliner flying over/into any major airport everyday puts people and millions in property at risk.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Every commercial airliner flying over/into any major airport everyday puts people and millions in property at risk.
Not what we're talking about.

We're talking about specific examples where drones have repeatedly impacted firefighting efforts, in this latest case resulting in evacuations that likely would not have been needed had the firefighting aircraft not been grounded due to drone activity.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

All the other Drone flights that caused air tankers to cease operations happened 2 years ago ... Before the public at large really realized that that flying near natural disasters might interfere with emergency operations. Now we have one indecent with Millions of Quads out there. Even Drone sightings around airports seems to be way way down from just a year ago. Congress can't even figure out what their going to do about Drones and R/C. Till they do I believe that if we stay on the reservation and

Just fly Like U always did, Keep out of the way, and all will be OK.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not what we're talking about.
events that put people and millions in property at risk
Reply based on statement made.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Would two or four off be better? Cherry pick til you're hearts content....here's a stat to work on. Take the number of commercial flights per year and match that up against all of the alleged "sightings" over the past 3 years. What's the percentage?

You have more of a chance causing damage flying your heli in a park as a drone has of hitting a plane.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 PM
franklin_m

Reply based on statement made.
Comment made with respect to interfering with wildfire fighting efforts.

Oh, and airliners are a pretty safe bet here in the US. According to USDOT, in 2015, part 121 carriers flew 6,992,575 flights that started and terminated in the US. They carried 638,272,916 passengers. Zero fatalities. In fact, according to NTSB only 58 injuries of all types. So, that's a 0.0000000908 rate for even a bump on the head. Oh, and in 2014, also zero fatal mishaps. Risk of airliners flying over major cities has been, for two years, zero.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 PM
franklin_m

Would two or four off be better? Cherry pick til you're hearts content....here's a stat to work on. Take the number of commercial flights per year and match that up against all of the alleged "sightings" over the past 3 years. What's the percentage?

You have more of a chance causing damage flying your heli in a park as a drone has of hitting a plane.
Tell that to the people who lost their homes as a result of wildfire fighting efforts being shut down. Or tell it to the firefighters who now have to work that much harder because drones shut down air support.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Tell that to the people who lost their homes as a result of wildfire fighting efforts being shut down. Or tell it to the firefighters who now have to work that much harder because drones shut down air support.
The sun will come up...tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow.....
Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 PM
franklin_m

May I suggest putting that in a letter to the Utah Governor, perhaps include something about it being a "one off" event?
Old 06-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

There'll be sun! Just thinking about tomorrow.

Wow, my 8th grade graduation song....
Old 06-23-2016, 11:19 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Oh, and airliners are a pretty safe bet here in the US. According to USDOT, in 2015, part 121 carriers flew 6,992,575 flights that started and terminated in the US. They carried 638,272,916 passengers. Zero fatalities. In fact, according to NTSB only 58 injuries of all types. So, that's a 0.0000000908 rate for even a bump on the head. Oh, and in 2014, also zero fatal mishaps. Risk of airliners flying over major cities has been, for two years, zero.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bull****.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2169389  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

May I suggest putting that in a letter to the Utah Governor, perhaps include something about it being a "one off" event?

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but stats show there's on average a 95% survival rate when an AIRLINER HITS THE GROUND AT DAMN NEAR MACH....who believes this dribble ??

This shi't never left he ground... worst "air" disaster known to man...run way incursion shi't... tell me again how a 3 or 4 b quad can cause such havic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBQXS9Fn-g
Old 06-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Is the comment above with respect to firefighting efforts? It's interesting how you used such a small dataset in your statistics. A quick search shows there have been several firefighting incidents not involving sUAS interference.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2012/07/18/...crash-of-2002/

http://www.firefighternation.com/art...irtanker-crash

Old 06-24-2016, 02:25 AM
franklin_m

A quick search shows there have been several firefighting incidents not involving sUAS interference.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2012/07/18/...crash-of-2002/

http://www.firefighternation.com/art...irtanker-crash
It's hazardous enough already, which is why drones interfering with these operations puts all sorts of people at risk. Airborne tankers are sometimes the only way to control a fast moving fire in remote areas. Having operations shut down due to some idiot flying a sUAS can quite easily have grave consequences.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by wahoo
Correct me if I'm wrong ... but stats show there's on average a 95% survival rate when an AIRLINER HITS THE GROUND AT DAMN NEAR MACH....who believes this dribble ??

This shi't never left he ground... worst "air" disaster known to man...run way incursion shi't... tell me again how a 3 or 4 b quad can cause such havic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBQXS9Fn-g

Look it up for yourself:

T-100 dataset for number of flights and passengers can be found here:
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Tables....Air%20Carriers

Number of injuries can be found here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx
All fields default setting except these -
Event Start Date:1/1/2015
Event End Date: 12/31/2015
Operation: Part 121: Air Carrier
Old 06-24-2016, 03:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's hazardous enough already, which is why drones interfering with these operations puts all sorts of people at risk. Airborne tankers are sometimes the only way to control a fast moving fire in remote areas. Having operations shut down due to some idiot flying a sUAS can quite easily have grave consequences.
No one has said it isn't a serious issue, but the sensationalism some folks lavish in over isolated incidents is overwhelming.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Agree that it's very hazardous. But once again you use almost one off situations to over dramatisize something...and end with "ya tell that to the firefighters...or insert someone else here..".

So how about some relative stats. How many flights this year have involved firefighting stateside? Thousands and thousands no? How many have involved drones? A few? I left my abacus at home so can't crunch the digits, but gotta imagine the # is infinitesimally small.

If there was actually an incursion and a person was caught, they need to be dealt with as harshly as possible, made an example of, and have that publicized as much as possible. That's something I'd have no problem telling to the 'guvna
Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Agree that it's very hazardous. But once again you use almost one off situations to over dramatisize something...and end with "ya tell that to the firefighters...or insert someone else here..".

So how about some relative stats. How many flights this year have involved firefighting stateside? Thousands and thousands no? How many have involved drones? A few? I left my abacus at home so can't crunch the digits, but gotta imagine the # is infinitesimally small.

If there was actually an incursion and a person was caught, they need to be dealt with as harshly as possible, made an example of, and have that publicized as much as possible. That's something I'd have no problem telling to the 'guvna
Yup, just like this:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/19/johnny...lice-premiere/
Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM
franklin_m

If that's what you believe, that there aren't relative stats to show this problem is infinitesimally small, and that this latest event is being over dramatized, then put that in a letter and sign your name to it and send it to the Utah Governor, and maybe Utah's Senators as well. I think you should include the comment about the abacus for "color."
Old 06-24-2016, 12:01 PM
franklin_m

No one has said it isn't a serious issue, but the sensationalism some folks lavish in over isolated incidents is overwhelming.
Are you saying the Governor of Utah is sensationalizing this latest event?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Gees There Crispy are U accusing some one here of sensationalizing ... If U aren't I will. Even the Nightly News has given up on the Drone stuff. Or maybe there isn't any to report. Statistically saying of course.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.