Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airega1
Aircraft windshields are made of Lexan not plastic
That is a plastic. And not the only one used.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 AM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Got space? I have nearby thousands of sq, miles of Sonoran desert to lose myself in with my model airplanes. More protection of my right to fly than any organization can/will offer. How about you?
This is so true. And while we Americans have such a conservative view of everything around us, there are countries like The Isle of Man that think nothing of doing something like this on a regular basis ... Motorcycle racing through streets at 200 mph with spectators sitting alongside the road.

Americans would have a heart attack !!!!!

It's no wonder that many other people in other countries think Americans are stuck-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 11-07-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That is a plastic. And not the only one used.
Yep...and its plastic that makes auto windshields so strong...Matter of fact the auto industry isn't allowed to use some plastics since they are so impact resistant they fear emergency response crews couldn't break the "glass" to gain entry into a crashed vehicle. But what the hey, lets keep trying to conjure up every possible reason why FPV is evil... Frank, you're on...
Old 11-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

I was watching a news cast on national security concerning drones and radio control model planes, the newscaster made a statement that concerned me a lot, He said as long as there are radio control flying models and drones there will be a threat to our national security, otherwise he was making a point that they need to be eliminated or outlawed.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:49 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Waco
I was watching a news cast on national security concerning drones and radio control model planes, the newscaster made a statement that concerned me a lot, He said as long as there are radio control flying models and drones there will be a threat to our national security, otherwise he was making a point that they need to be eliminated or outlawed.
I don't know what news you were watching, but this guy was not reporting news. He was stating an unfounded and baseless opinion. Ignore him.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Well no expansive desert near... Texas is a bit different. We have ranches big enough to be a small state.LOL Just another way we are different...just got back from a rather large model event where beer tasting was the theme...
Yeh, And I hear people in Texas also have beer tasting shooting events too.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I thought jet engines are designed to withstand geese being sucked into them? So how could a little drone be so "catastrophic?"
I work on jet engines, and birds can destroy them. Something as small as a screw or washer can cause major damage. A quadcopter would probable destroy a jet engine.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:53 PM
bradpaul

Default For what it's worth

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/clip/10822796/drone-army-seeks-to-redefine-neighborhood-watch
Old 11-07-2014, 02:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
This is so true. And while we Americans have such a conservative view of everything around us, there are countries like The Isle of Man that think nothing of doing something like this on a regular basis ... Motorcycle racing through streets at 200 mph with spectators sitting alongside the road.

Americans would have a heart attack !!!!!
You just aren't old enough to remember some of the worst motor sport accidents that included spectators in the USA. Intelligent and responsible people figured out how to cut down on future calamities with the best wishes of the competitors and spectators alike.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Rob2160

I thought jet engines are designed to withstand geese being sucked into them? So how could a little drone be so "catastrophic?"
I fly corporate jets and any of my quad copters would seriously damage the engines if they were ingested. The 4 motors alone would cause major damage to the fan and turbine blades.

They are designed to continue operating if a small bird is ingested but this can still bend a blade that causes vibration and other problems and would require maintenance.

And don't forget Cactus 1549 in the Hudson, that was brought down by geese.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:16 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I fly corporate jets and any of my quad copters would seriously damage the engines if they were ingested. The 4 motors alone would cause major damage to the fan and turbine blades.

They are designed to continue operating if a small bird is ingested but this can still bend a blade that causes vibration and other problems and would require maintenance.

And don't forget Cactus 1549 in the Hudson, that was brought down by geese.
Agree, and what damage would a 1/4 scale Cub do to a turbine? As far as I know there have been no collisions between quad copters and full scale but their have been collisions between conventional RC models and full scale.

By that circumstance we should ban all RC flight within 3 miles of an airport or get the permission of the airport operator. Wait I think that is what the FAA requires.......................................... ............... imagine that!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:20 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Agree, and what damage would a 1/4 scale Cub do to a turbine? As far as I know there have been no collisions between quad copters and full scale but their have been collisions between conventional RC models and full scale.

By that circumstance we should ban all RC flight within 3 miles of an airport or get the permission of the airport operator. Wait I think that is what the FAA requires.......................................... ............... imagine that!
Nope, the FAA never required a three mile radius, they advised it. Now the Law says 5 miles. We have no excuses anymore.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Can't fix STUPID!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:01 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Nope, the FAA never required a three mile radius, they advised it. Now the Law says 5 miles. We have no excuses anymore.
What law? Can you post a link?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 PM
JohnShe

LOL, are you serious?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The FAA is proposing a law that will allow a airport to shut down any RC flying within five miles of the airport but I hope it never happens.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA does not make law, but regulation. The supposed law is only an interpretation which may be used to write regulation. Right now we only have an AC which is not mandatory and it has the 3 mile recommendation.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:30 AM
Billy J
My Feedback: (4)

each drone should have TKS traffic device while in orbit that will show up on AC radar in cockpit that is linked back to ATC / with dads info # IDENT that would show up DR instead of N.......... should also be linked to flight tracker!

ground school like hunter education / for kids before flight making AMA insurance mandatory !

each drone should have Ident code like XM radio to purchase with dads name and location that will be held responsible in a court of Law for accident /or misuse ! $$$ picking up trash/ jail time Background check !

a million new drones will be sold for Christmas ! to kids that has never flew rc but yet can take a drone to 2000 feet! VFR R IFR flight rule

good luck flying everyone / have fun and follow AMA rules / that's all we can do for now! hope this helps
Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waco
By that logic, as long as there are human beings on the planet there would be threat to one or other nation's security. Problem lies in usage and intent not in the tool.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by mchandrayan
By that logic, as long as there are human beings on the planet there would be threat to one or other nation's security. Problem lies in usage and intent not in the tool.
Exactly! Perfect point.

By some people's goofy logic we probably shouldn't be able to rent Rider trucks...
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
The FAA is proposing a law that will allow a airport to shut down any RC flying within five miles of the airport but I hope it never happens.
Congress writes laws, agencies interpret the law and write regulations.

After all of the threads, some of them quite lengthy, does not anyone remember section 336 of the 2012 FAA modernization and reform act?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:00 PM
bradpaul

Public Law 112-95-Feb 14, 2012 Sec.336 (a) (5)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...l95[1].pdf

Last edited by bradpaul; 11-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After all of the threads, some of them quite lengthy, does not anyone remember section 336 of the 2012 FAA modernization and reform act?
We can split hairs on who writes what and so on but the bottom line is the FAA wants to give airports the right to shut RC flying within five miles of them.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Maximilionalpha

http://youtu.be/AWI7Z3VI9lE
Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Sport_Pilot

That law directs the FAA to write regulations. There is nothing that directly governs us till the regulations are written.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.