Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 05-14-2015, 11:48 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramboamt
This one will probably go to jail while the other one was a Gov. (CIA) employee and got his wrist slapped.... SMH...
I am afraid you might be correct. That said, if they charge this guy, many people are going to speak out, unless they immediately issue a warrant for the guy who crashed the drone in January.

That said, intent is an important legal consideration. If they have evidence that the guy in today's incident deliberately flew over the White House fence, he may be more likely to face charges. The other guy was a long way away from the White House, and evidently had no intention of flying his Phantom over Obama's back yard.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnShe
If a club flying field has been operating within 5 miles of an airport with no problems, I doubt that the airport could legitimately object to the field under the new law. The AMA is providing a resource to help flying fields to establish relationships with airports under the new law. I expect that the number of fields at risk of closure is closer to zero that you think.
Hope U R right. We'll see. U just can't count on the FEDs doing what we receive to be right and fair. alla FAA's Interpretation of #336.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:17 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ramboamt
You mean this one: http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-re...181915886.html
This one will probably go to jail while the other one was a Gov. (CIA) employee and got his wrist slapped.... SMH...

Goes with out saying: "U Just can't fix STUPID".
Old 05-14-2015, 01:37 PM
TimJ

I heard radio reports earlier today claim that it was a Model Airplane and not a drone or multi-rotor........
Old 05-15-2015, 04:20 AM
philakapd

It has been reported as a Parrot AR. Controlled by a tablet.

The offender was issued a misdemeanor citation. The news did not report what the citation was for or which authority is responsible for issuing the citation.

It is not legal to fly a UAV in Washington D.C.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

The news in my area last night showed a red and black quad , kinda small looking , and they didn't show what was controlling it ...
Old 05-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think the bottom line is you and I both know you can't go around shooting at others people's property be RC models or otherwise without the potential of serious consequences.
In the city yes, but in urban areas you are allowed to fire your gun at model airplanes flying over your property and the model airplane pilot can be taken in for trespassing. Not that charges of trespassing are often brought.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
The news in my area last night showed a red and black quad , kinda small looking , and they didn't show what was controlling it ...

Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest

1 new from $499.07
See All Buying Options
[HR][/HR]

Add to Wish List

Have one to sell? Sell on Amazon

Ad feedback

Click to open expanded view

[h=1]Parrot AR Drone Quadricopter, 2.0 Edition, Orange/Blue[/h]

by Parrot

381 customer reviews

| 85 answered questions

[HR][/HR]

Available from these sellers.

Style: Without replacement battery

Color: Orange/Blue

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging

• Receives 720p high-definition live video streaming to smartphone or tablet while flying
  • Records & shares videos & pictures straight from AR.FreeFlight 2.0 piloting app
  • Remote control quadricopter controlled by iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, and Android Devices with Version 2.2 and Multi-Touch
  • Receives 720p high-definition live video streaming to smartphone or tablet while flying
  • Records & shares videos & pictures straight from AR.FreeFlight 2.0 piloting app
  • Orange & Blue
See more product details

1 new from $499.07

[HR][/HR] [h=4]There is a newer model of this item:[/h] Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 GPS Edition Quadricopter - Record HD Movies - Return Home Mode
$649.99
(14)
In stock.

[HR][/HR]
Important Information
Learn more about flying responsibly. Many countries, including the United States, regulate the use of unmanned aircraft. Before flying, make sure to understand the rules that apply to you. Visit the Drone Store to find the right drone for you
Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 AM
HoundDog

DP Again Sorry:

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-15-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:33 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Yep...that should send chills down anyone's spine...that is if they have a spine...scares me just looking at the pictures! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by philakapd
It has been reported as a Parrot AR. Controlled by a tablet.

The offender was issued a misdemeanor citation. The news did not report what the citation was for or which authority is responsible for issuing the citation.

It is not legal to fly a UAV in Washington D.C.
I think he was lucky to get away with a misdemeanor citation. I am sure there are a least a few felonies they could have charged him with, if they wanted to make an example.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Yep...that should send chills down anyone's spine...that is if they have a spine...scares me just looking at the pictures! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!
LTL CS: , Sky fall'n an all. Sur's bees Hope's U's gots ya Hard hats on. Woodn't want's nuffen hitt'n yas Knogg'n or nuttn likks that there ya kNos. Hoops ya hav'en a good day thre, That's were evers HERE isn.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
LTL CS: , Sky fall'n an all. Sur's bees Hope'n U's gots ya Hard hats on. Woodn't want's nuffen hitt'n yas Knogg'n or nuttn likks that there ya kNos. Hoops ya hav'en a good day thre, That's were evers HERE isn.

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-15-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: puncteatin an sums spellr ms taks. sorey
Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 AM
HoundDog

Nice to see a couple of strangers here ... It'all a barrel of laughs here. Well Sometimes.
There are currently 18 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 5 guests)
Seems that there 6 Missing what happened? OH WELL no matter.

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-15-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Nice to see a couple of strangers here ... It'all a barrel of laughs here. Well Sometimes.
There are currently 18 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 5 guests)
Seems that there 6 Missing what happened? OH WELL no matter.
I have here in my hand a list of 12 names, that were made known to the Federal Aviation Administration as being operators of unmanned aerial systems, in the federal airspace of the United States.

Thanks a lot for the publicity, HoundDog!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by N410DC
I have here in my hand a list of 12 names, that were made known to the Federal Aviation Administration as being operators of unmanned aerial systems, in the federal airspace of the United States.

Thanks a lot for the publicity, HoundDog!
N410DC: If I were U I wouldn't worry about the FEDs having U on a list of any kind.
Cartersville, GA is so fare out in the Boondocks that it would take the FEDs
a month of Sundays to even find it.I'd be more worried that they would find
some of your Post's here on RCU and them taking offense. But U are Quite
Welcome, Just the same LOL
Old 05-15-2015, 03:00 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
In the city yes, but in urban areas you are allowed to fire your gun at model airplanes flying over your property and the model airplane pilot can be taken in for trespassing. Not that charges of trespassing are often brought.
Sport.where did you see that information?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sport.where did you see that information?
In trespassing laws, they vary. Texas evens allows you to shoot the trespasser. If they have no trouble with shooting a person, I am sure they have no trouble with UAV's. Georgia says you must get a licensed tow company to have trespassing vehicles towed off your property and does not allow shooting a person unless you are protecting your life.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

From a full size aircraft forum. This is why I think quadcopters are the greatest risk to our hobby/sport to have come along thus far.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=55888
Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
I heard radio reports earlier today claim that it was a Model Airplane and not a drone or multi-rotor........
Hmmm....I'll be sure to pay more attention to your "INTEL" when the need arises from now on.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
From a full size aircraft forum. This is why I think quadcopters are the greatest risk to our hobby/sport to have come along thus far.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=55888
Have you fowarded that to the FAA? Only legal if permission is made by the airport, which I doubt. Not sure of FAA's position of model aircraft in clouds, but would suspect it will soon be illegal to be closer than 500 foot from a cloud when over 400 feet altitude.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 AM
HoundDog

Have you forwarded that to the FAA? Only legal if permission is made by the airport, which I doubt. Not sure of FAA's position of model aircraft in clouds, but would suspect it will soon be illegal to be closer than 500 foot from a cloud when over 400 feet altitude.
A lot depends on the class of air space U are in, Altitude U are at, and day or night.
It Looks like the weather was CAVU Clear And Visibility Unlimited. Ther were certinally many FAR's Safety Code and AMA rules broken here.

prev
| next

§ 91.155 Basic VFR weather minimums. (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section and § 91.157, no person may operate an aircraft under VFR when the flight visibility is less, or at a distance from clouds that is less, than that prescribed for the corresponding altitude and class of airspace in the following table:

[TABLE="class: gpotable"]
[TR]
[TH]Airspace[/TH]
[TH]Flight visibility[/TH]
[TH]Distance from clouds[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Class A[/TD]
[TD]Not Applicable[/TD]
[TD]Not Applicable.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Class B[/TD]
[TD]3 statute miles[/TD]
[TD]Clear of Clouds.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Class C[/TD]
[TD]3 statute miles[/TD]
[TD]500 feet below.1,000 feet above. 2,000 feet horizontal.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Class D[/TD]
[TD]3 statute miles[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Class E:[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Less than 10,000 feet MSL[/TD]
[TD]3 statute miles[/TD]
[TD]500 feet below.1,000 feet above. 2,000 feet horizontal[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]At or above 10,000 feet MSL[/TD]
[TD]5 statute miles[/TD]
[TD]1,000 feet below.1,000 feet above. 1 statute mile horizontal.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Class G:[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1,200 feet or less above the surface (regardless of MSL altitude)[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Day, except as provided in § 91.155(b)[/TD]
[TD]1 statute mile[/TD]
[TD]Clear of clouds.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Night, except as provided in § 91.155(b)[/TD]
[TD]3 statute miles[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]More than 1,200 feet above the surface but less than 10,000 feet MSL[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Day[/TD]
[TD]1 statute mile[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Night[/TD]
[TD]3 statute miles[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]More than 1,200 feet above the surface and at or above 10,000 feet MSL[/TD]
[TD]5 statute miles[/TD]
[TD]1,000 feet below.1,000 feet above. 1 statute mile horizontal.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
(b) Class G Airspace. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, the following operations may be conducted in Class G airspace below 1,200 feet above the surface:

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-17-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added CAVU & broken FAR ect.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Part 91 doesn't really apply to model airplanes. It only apply's to airplanes with people on board, as mentioned in the recent NPRM. But that NPRM does not include model aircraft. However, I think it can be classified as endangerment to the NAS by impeding the FPV pilot's capability to see and avoid. Then again perhaps the model airplane can be considered a UAV under the proposed NPRM because it was operated in FPV mode violating the AMA's safety code.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:15 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Part 91 doesn't really apply to model airplanes. It only apply's to airplanes with people on board, as mentioned in the recent NPRM. But that NPRM does not include model aircraft. However, I think it can be classified as endangerment to the NAS by impeding the FPV pilot's capability to see and avoid. Then again perhaps the model airplane can be considered a UAV under the proposed NPRM because it was operated in FPV mode violating the AMA's safety code.
FPV-UAV operators ALWAYS need a spotter, therefore he could not "see and avoid" a conflict without a spotter as required.Yes violated numerous rules, UAV and FPV per AMA and the FAA.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think we know he did not have a spotter, or did I miss something? Good assumption though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.