Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw today a company that sells jammers for mostly GPS and cell phones. But they also have some for "spy cameras". I wonder how an FPV pilot flying way past line-of-sight would handle losing his video feed.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I saw today a company that sells jammers for mostly GPS and cell phones. But they also have some for "spy cameras". I wonder how an FPV pilot flying way past line-of-sight would handle losing his video feed.
Heading over to youtube...I'm sure there's plenty of examples to choose from!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:29 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Heading over to youtube...I'm sure there's plenty of examples to choose from!
The "interference signal" would have to be closer to the receiver (pilot's equipment) than the FPV video transmitter (plane). The pilot "sees" the FPV signal sent by the aircraft, which drops off in power by 1/R^2, where R is the one way range. The good news is that since it's a 1/R^2 function, as distance from "interference signal" to the pilot's receiver is reduced, interference signal power at the receiver goes up rapidly. For example, if the "interference signal" is half as far away as the FPV aircraft, the "interference signal" is 4 times as powerful at the pilot's FPV receiver.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not kidding at all. Go back and take a look at the almost 3 pages of warnings. Does it not strike you as completely insane that a company has to write 3 pages of warnings, including such gems as "don't fly over people", "keep clear of spinning props", and "do not fly near tall buildings". The average person wouldn't know that already? The warnings and cautions aren't weak, the fact that they have to be included is weak. How would you strengthen these warnings, go to 6 pages? Don't try to floss teeth with spinning blades, don't fly while sleeping, please do not warm battery in oven....etc etc?

They can only caution against so many things. Of course someone will use the item in an unintended manner, and then sue when something bad happens.

This is why you buy an iron now and it comes with a warning to not apply to the face when turned on. Doh!
Where is the FAA information? What about suggesting the AMA? That last one is in every Hobby Co manual.

The 4 pages of warnings are more related to personal safety. There is very little about social responsibility and operational safety.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Hey Doc, I have never bought one and I don't intend to. But, I am curious, how about posting a scan of the manual page on safe operations, if there is one.
http://www.yuneec.com/download/20150209080300.pdf

pages 3,4,5 specifically. Pretty good warnings/cautions etc.
You are kidding, right? Don't fly over crowds. How big of a crowd? Don't fly near airports. How near? Those instructions are pretty weak. Maybe that is part of the problem.
Where is the FAA information? What about suggesting the AMA? That last one is in every Hobby Co manual.

The 4 pages of warnings are more related to personal safety. There is very little about social responsibility and operational safety.
Well it looks like now you're bringing up another issue. Your first question went to asking about the manual, I replied with a copy of the manual, and noted the pages. I referenced their suggestions. You then then asked if I was joking about the quality of those. I responded yes, I think they are o/k. I also noted there is only so much they can do.

Now you are asking why the FAA isn't referenced? Or the AMA? What difference would those guides make. I don't think it would make a difference, even the warnings/suggestions noted don't work all the times.

Absolutely disagree that the warnings noted are more in line with personal safety, not societal in nature. At a quick glance, 4 of the 6 General Safety Precautions are general in nature, not specific to a person (but certainly benefit a person). Most of the warnings are not person specific, but yes some are operational in nature. Way more information than is really needed for the average person.

I guess FAA and AMA couldn't hurt..but try getting every manf to do that?
Old 06-03-2015, 02:12 PM
JohnShe

Well it looks like now you're bringing up another issue. Your first question went to asking about the manual, I replied with a copy of the manual, and noted the pages. I referenced their suggestions. You then then asked if I was joking about the quality of those. I responded yes, I think they are o/k. I also noted there is only so much they can do.

Now you are asking why the FAA isn't referenced? Or the AMA? What difference would those guides make. I don't think it would make a difference, even the warnings/suggestions noted don't work all the times.

Absolutely disagree that the warnings noted are more in line with personal safety, not societal in nature. At a quick glance, 4 of the 6 General Safety Precautions are general in nature, not specific to a person (but certainly benefit a person). Most of the warnings are not person specific, but yes some are operational in nature. Way more information than is really needed for the average person.

I guess FAA and AMA couldn't hurt..but try getting every manf to do that?
Perhaps you fail to understand my point. While the manual does seem to say a lot about safe operation, it lack specificity. It says that it can be flown at altitudes up to 8,000 feet. It does not say that if you actually fly it that high that you are entering into the operational airspace of full scale aircraft. There is no real guidance about how to select a safe place to fly the toy. It talks about common sense. I will tell you that there is noting in common seance that can be relied on. The real problem is, that anyone who buys this product will most likely not read the manual, unless they need technical help and then they will go directly to that page, ignoring all safety instructions. The real problem is, that without a safety culture built into the product directions there is a guarantee that something bad will happen eventually. And, we are already seeing these things happen.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM
smeckert

That's a good point John. It can have every possible warning in the manual a man and lawyer could think of, but who will read a 100 page manual.
There will always be someone who will stick it up their bum, how could you guard against that?

Rg... causing radio interference is a federal offense. It's right there in your radio manual, in the FCC section.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:11 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Perhaps you fail to understand my point. While the manual does seem to say a lot about safe operation, it lack specificity. It says that it can be flown at altitudes up to 8,000 feet. It does not say that if you actually fly it that high that you are entering into the operational airspace of full scale aircraft. There is no real guidance about how to select a safe place to fly the toy. It talks about common sense. I will tell you that there is noting in common seance that can be relied on. The real problem is, that anyone who buys this product will most likely not read the manual, unless they need technical help and then they will go directly to that page, ignoring all safety instructions. The real problem is, that without a safety culture built into the product directions there is a guarantee that something bad will happen eventually.
And, we are already seeing these things happen.
John: I agree, yes the manuals state general Flight Safety Rules, the problem is with these idiots not even reading the included manuals, much less care about any Rules. That is the problem pure and simple. If somebody buys one of these, and doesn't bother to read the Safety Rules, which is happening now more than ever,, they just go out and fly it anywhere, and don't care if they are inside a restricted flying zone, or near an airport.They just do it. Then comes the clowns that fly over stadiums full of people, parades, whatever, it just keeps happening.
My personal opinion this could be a Major threat to our hobby in General. Flying in the NAS also requires our hobby to fly responsibly , which most of us do as AMA Members. These episodes involving Full Scale Airliners, private pilots and people gathering for an event, shows no responsibility whatsoever by these individuals. So what is the answer??? Build in a Safety Culture in these aircraft? I thought they did that, but obviously not, or they could not fly withing 5 miles of an Airport..

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 06-03-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
John: I agree, yes the manuals state general Flight Safety Rules, the problem is with these idiots not even reading the included manuals, much less care about any Rules. That is the problem pure and simple. If somebody buys one of these, and doesn't bother to read the Safety Rules, which is happening now more than ever,, they just go out and fly it anywhere, and don't care if they are inside a restricted flying zone, or near an airport.They just do it. Then comes the clowns that fly over stadiums full of people, parades, whatever, it just keeps happening.
My personal opinion this could be a Major threat to our hobby in General. Flying in the NAS also requires our hobby to fly responsibly , which most of us do as AMA Members. These episodes involving Full Scale Airliners, private pilots and people gathering for an event, shows no responsibility whatsoever by these individuals. So what is the answer??? Build in a Safety Culture in these aircraft? I thought they did that, but obviously not, or they could not fly withing 5 miles of an Airport..
I am perfectly happy to let the stadium owners and municipalities police their property or land...
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I am perfectly happy to let the stadium owners and municipalities police their property or land...
LCS: That is only part of the problem. First off they are not following the FAA and AMA guidelines, at stated in their rules. The Second part of the problem is the Stadium owners and Police do not patrol these areas for illegal flying of aircraft,to my knowledge.If they did, they would catch these people. They have not done so.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 PM
littlecrankshaf

LCS: That is only part of the problem. First off they are not following the FAA and AMA guidelines, at stated in their rules. The Second part of the problem is the Stadium owners and Police do not patrol these areas for illegal flying of aircraft,to my knowledge.If they did, they would catch these people. They have not done so.
AMA guidelines and the general public means less than squat...
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 PM
FLAPHappy

AMA guidelines and the general public means less than squat...
LCSL I agree 100%. I may have misspoke about the Police not catching anybody, yes in a few instances they have, but it's rare. To my knowledge nobody has caught one of these reckless pilots flying in a glide path of an active runway at any airport that I have heard about.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yes...that. In some instances they are not following local ordinances, let alone a federal organizations, or a hobby organizations. I get the need for warnings, but the manual already has 3 pages of them. Will a page or two more make a difference?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:54 AM
littlecrankshaf

Yes...that. In some instances they are not following local ordinances, let alone a federal organizations, or a hobby organizations. I get the need for warnings, but the manual already has 3 pages of them. Will a page or two more make a difference?
Not much if any...those intent on being a problem will continue unabated... but what the hey, it will make some people feel good...LOL
Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM
bradpaul

Why read the manual wheh these drones are designed with technology to fly right out of the box?' It's not as if you built yout plnce from a kit, had to leard how to run a nitro engine and seaked the advice of the guys at the flying field,
Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 PM
FLAPHappy

Porcia: Some of the people that buy these Quads, are out just to have fun. I really do not think they intended to purposely harm someone, although there are the NUTS out there that will do anything to create Havoc, not to mention the terrorist angle with today's problems.

The people have to know the rules,on flying these things, most people don't read the safety rules pertaining to that aircraft. THEY SHOULD!!

If they break the rules of Safety, FAA, and AMA, they should be fined $1500.00, a month in the slammer and their new Quad and radio, camera whatever , be confiscated by the arresting entity, and destroyed. Maybe that will catch their eye if they can read the rules.
If that was printed in every manual at the beginning and at the end of the manual, there is no excuse, OH, I Didn't KNOW. DUH....
Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Why read the manual wheh these drones are designed with technology to fly right out of the box?' It's not as if you built yout plnce from a kit, had to leard how to run a nitro engine and seaked the advice of the guys at the flying field,
Brad: you know these Quads have technology, fly it out of the box. That's the problem! Most people just want to buy it, see what it can do, do not read the entire manual of safety, just go out and fly it. They have NO idea on the problems they may face, if it causes a full scale aircraft to abort a landing because this clown is flying in a restricted airspace. What part of NO FLYING IN A RESTRICTED AIRSPACE do they not understand????
The Technology of these Quad Copters needs to be modified, to prevent a radio from turning on within a 5 mile radius of an airport.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM
FLAPHappy

So here we go again.................... Watch this video and tell me your thoughts. Hell yeah, I'd like $1.00 bills floating down, but here again this is not supposed to happen.
I guess the AMA,FAA Rules are non existent anymore? Flying over a Crowd of people????

http://video.foxnews.com/v/426234565...#sp=show-clips

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 06-04-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:01 PM
bradpaul

Brad: you know these Quads have technology, fly it out of the box. That's the problem! Most people just want to buy it, see what it can do, do not read the entire manual of safety, just go out and fly it. They have NO idea on the problems they may face, if it causes a full scale aircraft to abort a landing because this clown is flying in a restricted airspace. What part of NO FLYING IN A RESTRICTED AIRSPACE do they not understand????
The Technology of these Quad Copters needs to be modified, to prevent a radio from turning on within a 5 mile radius of an airport.
technology has reploaced the learning curve that we old guys went through on being able to fly an RC model.

the airport idea has merit however it has big problems on implementation.... who maintains and updates the airport database?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:13 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by bradpaul
technology has reploaced the learning curve that we old guys went through on being able to fly an RC model.

the airport idea has merit however it has big problems on implementation.... who maintains and updates the airport database?
Excellent question ! Anybody have the answer???.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:36 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

for whomever it was that asked,
it has been almost 10 years since i have flown at a club field.
been flying(helis, gliders, jets, edf and other ele) in parks, fields and off mountains almost exclusively. an occasional indoor fly in from time to time is the only use my AMA card gets..
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 PM
littlecrankshaf

Porcia: Some of the people that buy these Quads, are out just to have fun.
I love this line...a real winner in this thread! A few words that says so miuch. Maybe you should seek a position within AMA...I think you would make a good AVP or something.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
It's called RTH Return to Home. Get used to it QUADS (Drones) are here and they're are staying Check these out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=H0epgrI4CDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpko3CPHonQ
Old 06-05-2015, 06:56 AM
FLAPHappy

I love this line...a real winner in this thread! A few words that says so miuch. Maybe you should seek a position within AMA...I think you would make a good AVP or something.
LCS: "Are out just to have fun" is what some of these clowns think when they buy one of those toys. They do not read the Safety Part of the Manuals they are supposed to be supplied with. DO they intentionally want to hurt someone, I don't think so, or just maybe some of them do? I have no idea.
They just buy it and away they go. One more thing, I am not "seeking a position within the AMA, nor want any part of Politic's. I do hope you were just kidding around. Answer this question, Why can't people read the Safety manuals, or at least get some information, and follow the rules"? They never have and never will in my opinion.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 AM
littlecrankshaf

Answer this question, Why can't people read the Safety manuals, or at least get some information, and follow the rules"?
Hmmm...I would rather understand why people can't figure what's safe without reading manuals....I guess people "need" someone or some organization to show them. walla walla bing bang...whoosh...AMA.

Isn't it sad that we live in such a world now that people "need" guys like you to tell them right from wrong??? But of course those that say we need such oversight really believes it's just everyone else that "needs" the oversight...not themselves... Self righteous nit-wits galore...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.