Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:48 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i just had to say something to wake u people up
You keep saying the same thing but never answer the question.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:43 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnShe
You are kidding, right? Don't fly over crowds. How big of a crowd? Don't fly near airports. How near? Those instructions are pretty weak. Maybe that is part of the problem.
No, not kidding at all. Go back and take a look at the almost 3 pages of warnings. Does it not strike you as completely insane that a company has to write 3 pages of warnings, including such gems as "don't fly over people", "keep clear of spinning props", and "do not fly near tall buildings". The average person wouldn't know that already? The warnings and cautions aren't weak, the fact that they have to be included is weak. How would you strengthen these warnings, go to 6 pages? Don't try to floss teeth with spinning blades, don't fly while sleeping, please do not warm battery in oven....etc etc?

They can only caution against so many things. Of course someone will use the item in an unintended manner, and then sue when something bad happens.

This is why you buy an iron now and it comes with a warning to not apply to the face when turned on. Doh!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:39 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by porcia83
No, not kidding at all. Go back and take a look at the almost 3 pages of warnings. Does it not strike you as completely insane that a company has to write 3 pages of warnings, including such gems as "don't fly over people", "keep clear of spinning props", and "do not fly near tall buildings". The average person wouldn't know that already? The warnings and cautions aren't weak, the fact that they have to be included is weak. How would you strengthen these warnings, go to 6 pages? Don't try to floss teeth with spinning blades, don't fly while sleeping, please do not warm battery in oven....etc etc?

They can only caution against so many things. Of course someone will use the item in an unintended manner, and then sue when something bad happens. This is why you buy an iron now and it comes with a warning to not apply to the face when turned on. Doh!

There is always a lawyer behind any of those crazy warnings. They are not stupid. they just cover normal, smart people when stupid people get hurt and sue. This is America, remember. Did you see "Things might be closer than they appear" in mirrors? Now you know why that is there. I had a hedge trimmer (electric) that warned against hanging the extension cord around your neck because it could "cause injury"...

Gerry

This is why you buy an iron now and it comes with a warning to not apply to the face when turned on. Doh! [/QUOTE]
Old 06-02-2015, 04:10 AM
franklin_m

Have you asked your local AMA reps whats going on in your area, or maybe asked how you could be involved? What are your suggestions on moving forward, other than to complain about whats been done in the past? Do you really think that every time a negative news story comes out on quads/drones etc the AMA should issue a press release?
I contacted AMA back in 2006-2009 to try and establish a flying field on a facility that I contolled, the response was a packet of photo copied AMA documents. I've contacted an EVP with an offer to help enhance their safety program, nothing but silence in response. Having taught policy making and implementation in a graduate program, I offered help with SWOT analysis, again nothing but silence.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 AM
franklin_m

I also don't think the media "lumps us all together".
No, a statement like "Poorly supervised drones and remote-controlled aircraft can pose a safety hazard" in a prominent newspaper doesn't lump us together. Not at all.

(second to last sentence: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...lies_game.html
Old 06-02-2015, 04:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Unfortunately, it was the hobbyist organization, AMA, that injected itself into the public discussion as the defacto "CBO." The media is lumping us all together. For while AMA and its members understand the subtleties of the issue, the overwhelming majority of lawmakers, regulators, media, and the public do not.
Hi Franklin ,

Well , I guess when it came time for someone to speak for aircraft modelers , it would stand to reason that the only national organization we have would be the one to speak , right ? I know of no other nationwide organization representing us hobbyists to the the government and public , or am I missing an organization somewhere that maybe should be given consideration ? I'm not asking this as a taunt or troll , I'm truly seriously asking , are there any other organizations advocating on our behalf that I and the rest of the hobbyists should know about ? Cause if so , the more positive voices we have will of course be to our benefit .

You are kidding, right? Don't fly over crowds. How big of a crowd? Don't fly near airports. How near? Those instructions are pretty weak. Maybe that is part of the problem.
Hi John ,

Good Grief buddy , do you really think more warning stickers will smarten up some dolt bent on chasing a full scale to get his (or hers) "ultimate Utoob video" ? A simple run down of "not over people , near real aircraft , or in any reckless manner" should be about ALL it should take to serve as a reminder of basic safety for anyone with the good common sense that God gave to every creature from Ants on up ! That's the bottom line here is that you just can't legislate common sense . Folks will either use it or they won't and NO amount of "don't stick yer peter in the fan" stickers are gonna save them or others from the stupidity of ignoring common sense . In my working life , one of my jobs had me routinely working with 480 volt 3 phase power . We had , of course , the "one had in the pocket" rule and there were these funny little stickers with a picture of a guy with his hand in his pocket and a high voltage lightning bolt symbol . That's it , no foot wide stickers with a long dissertation on every property of electrons or how exactly skin boils when exposed to high voltage at high amperage , just the cute little reminder . And ya know what ? Not a ONE of my workmates nor I ever got zapped ! I hate to sound so dour , but I really am serious that I am glad I won't live long enough to see the sad end game in this rapidly advancing pussification/dumbing down of our fellow humans into a people who need to be repeatedly told to not step in front of a moving train . Most get it ! Darwin gets the rest ! It was a pretty good system all these years ......

i just had to say something to wake u people up
Come on buddy , go uptown and git yerself hooked up with some nice FPV style drone lovin , , , It'll make ya see the world in a whole new light .....

JUST DON"T FORGET GOOD OL #550 !!!

Last edited by init4fun; 06-02-2015 at 05:35 AM. Reason: clarify a point ..
Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

No, a statement like "Poorly supervised drones and remote-controlled aircraft can pose a safety hazard" in a prominent newspaper doesn't lump us together. Not at all.

If you're going to quote something, show all of it:
Drone sightings have become increasingly common and worrisome over stadiums, especially during college and NFL games.
Poorly supervised drones and remote-controlled aircraft can pose a safety hazard.
A 19-year-old man was killed in 2013 in a park in Brooklyn, N.Y., when he lost control of his remote-controlled helicopter and it struck him in the head.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...sFLbUtJQIoc.99
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 AM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever thought that everything that happens, no matter where or how, or what it is, that GOD has it done that way.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think true statements like that do us harm. Would you rather the paper lie to the public?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

I contacted AMA back in 2006-2009 to try and establish a flying field on a facility that I contolled, the response was a packet of photo copied AMA documents. I've contacted an EVP with an offer to help enhance their safety program, nothing but silence in response. Having taught policy making and implementation in a graduate program, I offered help with SWOT analysis, again nothing but silence.
I cannot imagine why!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 AM
DeferredDefect

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
If you're going to quote something, show all of it:
Drone sightings have become increasingly common and worrisome over stadiums, especially during college and NFL games.
Poorly supervised drones and remote-controlled aircraft can pose a safety hazard.
A 19-year-old man was killed in 2013 in a park in Brooklyn, N.Y., when he lost control of his remote-controlled helicopter and it struck him in the head.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...sFLbUtJQIoc.99
The fatal helicopter accident doesn't have much relevance to the drone issue. It was a very experienced pilot flying a traditional heli, although his choice of field wasn't exactly ideal. Obviously this shows that we're certainly not immune to accidents, either.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
The fatal helicopter accident doesn't have much relevance to the drone issue. It was a very experienced pilot flying a traditional heli, although his choice of field wasn't exactly ideal. Obviously this shows that we're certainly not immune to accidents, either.
Yea, what DD said! We've got to stay vigilant and only vilify FPVers... LOL
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Franklin ,

Well , I guess when it came time for someone to speak for aircraft modelers , it would stand to reason that the only national organization we have would be the one to speak , right ? I know of no other nationwide organization representing us hobbyists to the the government and public , or am I missing an organization somewhere that maybe should be given consideration ? I'm not asking this as a taunt or troll , I'm truly seriously asking , are there any other organizations advocating on our behalf that I and the rest of the hobbyists should know about ? Cause if so , the more positive voices we have will of course be to our benefit .
I asked this as well, not only of Franklin but others as well. I can't claim the AMA is perfect and everything they have done/plan to do is perfect either, but if not them, then who? I can't think of a single entity that has the hobby's back.

Hi John ,

Good Grief buddy , do you really think more warning stickers will smarten up some dolt bent on chasing a full scale to get his (or hers) "ultimate Utoob video" ? A simple run down of "not over people , near real aircraft , or in any reckless manner" should be about ALL it should take to serve as a reminder of basic safety for anyone with the good common sense that God gave to every creature from Ants on up ! That's the bottom line here is that you just can't legislate common sense . Folks will either use it or they won't and NO amount of "don't stick yer peter in the fan" stickers are gonna save them or others from the stupidity of ignoring common sense . In my working life , one of my jobs had me routinely working with 480 volt 3 phase power . We had , of course , the "one had in the pocket" rule and there were these funny little stickers with a picture of a guy with his hand in his pocket and a high voltage lightning bolt symbol . That's it , no foot wide stickers with a long dissertation on every property of electrons or how exactly skin boils when exposed to high voltage at high amperage , just the cute little reminder . And ya know what ? Not a ONE of my workmates nor I ever got zapped ! I hate to sound so dour , but I really am serious that I am glad I won't live long enough to see the sad end game in this rapidly advancing pussification/dumbing down of our fellow humans into a people who need to be repeatedly told to not step in front of a moving train . Most get it ! Darwin gets the rest ! It was a pretty good system all these years ......

Reminds me of the state trooper who gladly accepted a hot cup of coffee from Starbucks....for FREE....puts the cup in his lap, then spilled some on himself. Yes, it burned, as hot coffee will do. He wanted 750,000, thankfully he got nothing. Might actually end up owing some money to Starbucks too.

Come on buddy , go uptown and git yerself hooked up with some nice FPV style drone lovin , , , It'll make ya see the world in a whole new light .....

JUST DON"T FORGET GOOD OL #550 !!!
Deep down I think he was an early adopter of quads....
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Oh come on, that's such a reach, cherry picking sentences? That's right up there with the warning on the iron, "Don't apply to face". It's a pretty generic line too;

Poorly supervised _________ and ________ can pose a safety hazard.

So many different things could be put in there and it would still work. I still don't think that the average person takes that story and automatically associates that with the AMA or this hobby.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

How big is a crowd? How about 3 people. AMA rules have always said do not fly inside th base line where people are. How much clearer can that be?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

So two issues there, first is that you tried to establish a flying field. AMA responded with the necessary documents. And...then? What other type of response were you hoping for, or expected? The paperwork is the start of the process.

As to the offer of help, I'll note that it's great that you put forth that effort. If you belong to any organization you know it's difficult to get folks involved on many levels, let alone something at the level you're talking about. I don't know if the first step you took was going right to an EVP, If that was the case, could you see a possible issue with that approach? An out of the blue solicitation to help with something at that level, even with your background had to be looked at with some concern. First, the question might have been is there even a problem that needs this level of review? If there isn't a problem, why look for one? I'm not saying ignore possible issues, but is there a significant enough problem to warrant further investigation. Also, this might have already been done by another entity, probably actuary and risk control folks at AMA and the insurance company.

I think there are always possible improvements to safety rules/regs, I just wonder if there is a need for any significant changes that could be enacted that would result in quantifiable decrease in claims/injuries. If so, is that change reasonable, easy to implement, and easy to enforce?

If you're still up for it, I'd say modify your approach (in several ways). Start local, as in club and then regional level. Just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

more on drones i dont belive any of it and i can drive 35 min. from my house to the desert with 20 miles square to fly in i go there and i know others who do also what freedom there is there
Old 06-02-2015, 02:08 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[QUOTE=franklin_m;12048260]No, a statement like "Poorly supervised drones and remote-controlled aircraft can pose a safety hazard" in a prominent newspaper doesn't lump us together. Not at all.

(second to last sentence: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...lies_game.html[/

QUOTE]
Frankie:
One of the few times I agree with U. The line before and after the one U quote defiantly shows the News Media makes no distinction between safe and Unsafe R/C TOY flyers. They could not Sensationalize the NEWS if they did.

What does this statement have to do with anything except to Sensationalize plain and simpleDrone sightings have become increasingly common and worrisome over stadiums, especially during college and NFL games.

Sensationalism plain and simple
Old 06-02-2015, 04:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12048615]

(second to last sentence: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...lies_game.html[/

QUOTE]
Frankie:
One of the few times I agree with U. The line before and after the one U quote defiantly shows the News Media makes no distinction between safe and Unsafe R/C TOY flyers. They could not Sensationalize the NEWS if they did.

What does this statement have to do with anything except to Sensationalize plain and simpleDrone sightings have become increasingly common and worrisome over stadiums, especially during college and NFL games.

Sensationalism plain and simple
Let's agree the line about safe operation of drones/rc blurs the line. Fair enough. How is the comment about the heli sensationalized? Is it not exactly what happened? The pilot was killed when he lost control of his heli. They could use different words I guess or restructure the sentence but that one I think is pretty factual. A horrible loss.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=porcia83;12048676]
Originally Posted by HoundDog

Let's agree the line about safe operation of drones/rc blurs the line. Fair enough. How is the comment about the heli sensationalized? Is it not exactly what happened? The pilot was killed when he lost control of his heli. They could use different words I guess or restructure the sentence but that one I think is pretty factual. A horrible loss.
U called it but things should not even be in the artical.

More over the News always Sensationalizes things like a plane crashe by say things like "20 years there was a crash of BLaH BLaH BLaH" that has absolutely nothing to do with the original story.
The last 2 lines should never been included PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the guy flying a Quad in a stadium Especially since no one was hurt "KILLED" and the cops did nothing to him.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:29 PM
JohnShe

A typical drone operator.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical Drone User.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2100212  
Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

The last 2 lines should never been included PERIOD.
It sure should be used! It is called truth and free press.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It sure should be used! It is called truth and free press.
What truth? Truth has nothing to do with anything here, it's Sensationalism. It's got nothing to do with the present artical A helicopter death that happened some time ago has absolutely nothing to do with the Quad flying in a stadium where no wane was hurt. The police didn't even charge him. It's like after a plane crash, at the end of the aritical they mention that in the Challenger blew upon launch and killed all on board. It's Sensationalism for the sake of profit and to increase reader ship not tell the "TRUTH". PERIOD. Besides News Media People are among the most ignorant people to walk the face of the earth. They don't know much of anything, about any thing.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:48 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by HoundDog

What truth? Truth has nothing to do with anything here, it's Sensationalism. It's got nothing to do with the present artical A helicopter death that happened some time ago has absolutely nothing to do with the Quad flying in a stadium where no wane was hurt. The police didn't even charge him. It's like after a plane crash, at the end of the aritical they mention that in the Challenger blew upon launch and killed all on board. It's Sensationalism for the sake of profit and to increase reader ship not tell the "TRUTH". PERIOD. Besides News Media People are among the most ignorant people to walk the face of the earth. They don't know much of anything, about any thing.
HD,

You are every so right about the "sensationalism" the current tabloid like news media uses... Right now these so called "drones" stories, which BTW aren't drones, are selling...and a lot of ignorant people are buying... and then those that buy are parroting the accounts (stories), with even more spin to make themselves feel smarter...but that applies to pretty much everything else. Hard to find any real news or conversation today without bias or embellishments to further whatever the agenda of the news source or the repeating parrot... True independent thinkers are rare...most people now are just the product of what they wish to hear... Sad but true.

The real "drones" are the gullible people buying this crap and then repeating it...they are being played like a cheap fiddle. With all the real problems we face today it is very disappointing that these little RC aircraft are taking so much of an interest.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:35 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

more on drones i dont belive any of it and i can drive 35 min. from my house to the desert with 20 miles square to fly in i go there and i know others who do also what freedom there is there
What would be cool is if some Apaches from Yuma came over to your desert flying spot and did some target practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.