Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is Model Aviation inadvertantly fanning the anti-drone flames?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is Model Aviation inadvertantly fanning the anti-drone flames?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:45 AM
p510851
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi H5487 I do consider all drones, Quads, toys. they area not modeled after any real aircraft like scale modeling, they apeal to kids and are certainly easy to obtain from any department store or camera store. I saw B&H electronics in NY selling a bunch of the high priced ones. when I asked them if there were any rules or restrictions with them they said nope! so anyway I think the kids will become tired of them eventually and move on therefore only leaving the pure drone lovers that hopefully will abide bo some rules. Look what happened to the CB? everyone got cell phones. :-)
Tony
Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by p510851
I think the kids will become tired of them eventually and move on therefore only leaving the pure drone lovers that hopefully will abide bo some rules.
Tony, I just hope we're able to survive the mess they might create for the rest of us before they move on. How many more flights over the White House fence or attempted formation flights with Delta will the feds take before they pull the plug on ALL of us? (And before all of the naysayers scramble to their keyboards, let me remind them what happened to ALL of general aviation in the weeks following 9/11)!

Look what happened to the CB? everyone got cell phones. :-)
CB? Wasn't that the dating website for truckers back in the Olden Days?

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-01-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi H5487 I do consider all drones, Quads, toys. they area not modeled after any real aircraft like scale modeling, they apeal to kids and are certainly easy to obtain from any department store or camera store. I saw B&H electronics in NY selling a bunch of the high priced ones. when I asked them if there were any rules or restrictions with them they said nope! so anyway I think the kids will become tired of them eventually and move on therefore only leaving the pure drone lovers that hopefully will abide bo some rules. Look what happened to the CB? everyone got cell phones. :-)
Tony
Not sure what you mean when you say are there any rules or restrictions that are sold with the drones. Do you mean from the shop, or the manufacturer? They all come with instruction books that have warnings about usage, just like models made in the likeness of scale aircraft. Some are better than others in terms of what they say, those translators don't always work to well. The fact is no matter what rules or restrictions are noted or suggested, you'll always have folks who ignore them for a number of reasons, none of which are usually good. I gree with you though on the fad part, eventually something new will come along. CB's....now that took me back. Breaker Breaker!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by porcia83
The fact is no matter what rules or restrictions are noted or suggested, you'll always have folks who ignore them for a number of reasons...
For example, the 50 year old warnings on cigarette packs.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-01-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by H5487
For example, the 50 year old warnings on cigarette packs.

Harvey
yup...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0223_warning-label-chainsaw_485x340.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	2117716  
Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Moor doom...more gloom...."all it will take is one terrorist event" "all it will take is one airplane crash"....etc etc etc. Now they are a plague upon our society....LOL. Should I take a guess as to how you reacted with heli's were embraced by the hobby?

The reason "they" are being promoted as a toy....wait for it...is because they ARE a toy. Of the millions sold over the past few years, exactly how many have been involved in a disaster as prognosticated above?
It's only a matter of time before it happens. Here is possibly the first one:
http://www.suasnews.com/2015/08/3813...dentified-rpa/
Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Neverlost1
It's only a matter of time before it happens. Here is possibly the first one:
http://www.suasnews.com/2015/08/3813...dentified-rpa/
While I agree that it's coming sooner or later there's really no proof a "drone" did that damage. Not saying it's a bogus report but there's no evidence to support that it was a "drone'

"AIRCRAFT STRUCK AN UNKNOWN OBJECT WHILE IN FLIGHT, ROMEOVILLE, IL."

Mike
Old 09-01-2015, 07:06 PM
H5487

Originally Posted by rcmiket
While I agree that it's coming sooner or later there's really no proof a "drone" did that damage. Not saying it's a bogus report but there's no evidence to support that it was a "drone'

Mike
Since the Piper Apache is a twin, it would be tough for a drone (or whatever) to get past the port engine and propeller to impact the horizontal stabilizer where it did.

It'll be interesting to hear what the NTSB and FAA have to say about this.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-01-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Good to see more people are starting to understand the predicament that drones and the AMA are putting us in. I posted about this well over a year ago and was told to pound sand, "we're all brothers in the R/C world whether you fly traditional or drones!" Yeah, right! The AMA spent a lot of our dues money to get Congress to pass a law that banned the FAA from regulating us under the guise that we were just a bunch of nerdy guys who have been hanging out in some field, far from civilization, not causing anyone any problems for the last 50 years. Congress bought into it, but as soon as the legislation was passed the AMA did the old bait and switch and said, "oh, by the way, we meant drones also." Unfortunately the FAA has no intention of letting the AMA get away with that, and now the AMA is spending into the millions to become the CBO for drones instead of just taking the victory and going home.

The AMA sees the writing on the wall, traditional r/c is dying and dying fast. I'm the president of my club and new membership has dropped like a rock the past two years. Guys that thought trying r/c might be fun tally up the cost of flying (plane, radio, supplies, AMA, club dues, etc) and actually learning to fly, vs. buying a drone, charging it and flying and guess which one the go with? Unfortunately the AMA will never capture enough drone flyers to even recoup it's investment. Why would anyone with a drone join the AMA? To get lessons they don't need? To drive 1/2 hour and fly at the same corn field every time instead of just going to a park or beach or forest or.........
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by smithcreek
The AMA sees the writing on the wall, traditional r/c is dying and dying fast. I'm the president of my club and new membership has dropped like a rock the past two years. Guys that thought trying r/c might be fun tally up the cost of flying (plane, radio, supplies, AMA, club dues, etc) and actually learning to fly, vs. buying a drone, charging it and flying and guess which one the go with? Unfortunately the AMA will never capture enough drone flyers to even recoup it's investment. Why would anyone with a drone join the AMA? To get lessons they don't need? To drive 1/2 hour and fly at the same corn field every time instead of just going to a park or beach or forest or.........

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12092300
Old 09-02-2015, 11:08 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by fliers1
Is Model Aviation inadvertently fanning the anti-drone flames?
Now where did I hear that before?

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-02-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by H5487
Did you click on the link?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hope he does...brings him to a great post, # 33 specifically.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hairy46
Every time I open a mag the dang things are everywhere, I for one am tired of them because all the negative feedback they have brought to this hobby!
DITTO !
Old 09-02-2015, 01:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by smithcreek
Good to see more people are starting to understand the predicament that drones and the AMA are putting us in. I posted about this well over a year ago and was told to pound sand, "we're all brothers in the R/C world whether you fly traditional or drones!" Yeah, right! The AMA spent a lot of our dues money to get Congress to pass a law that banned the FAA from regulating us under the guise that we were just a bunch of nerdy guys who have been hanging out in some field, far from civilization, not causing anyone any problems for the last 50 years. Congress bought into it, but as soon as the legislation was passed the AMA did the old bait and switch and said, "oh, by the way, we meant drones also." Unfortunately the FAA has no intention of letting the AMA get away with that, and now the AMA is spending into the millions to become the CBO for drones instead of just taking the victory and going home.

Not sure how you arrived at your figures of millions of dollars being spent for the AMA to become a CBO, I haven't seen that noted anywhere. But anyway, on the other issue you brought up. "traditional r/c isn't dying, but then again who says what is "traditional". To vague there, the hobby overall has changed, as it should. Again not sure where you are arriving at a point where the hobby is dying and the AMA is trying to save itself by attracting drone pilots, or trying to recoup some perceived investment funds by getting them to join. Would you feel better about them going after the "drone" pilot segment if no dues had been spend on the issue? I've seen the following narrative creep into discussions, that somehow drone pilots and their possible membership were going to save the AMA and the hobby, that logic escapes me. The hobby continues to grow, and overall the past 4 years so has the AMA membership. Now, there might be less only from scratch built nitro/gas pilots than before, but again, that's a shift in the membership profile. Times change.

As to your clubs new membership dropping....I don't know the club or it's history, but the first place I think you need to look at is your leadership team, and then talk to the members in your club. You can't say the ones who aren't joining are the problem, or it's the cost, unless you speak with those particular people who didn't join.

Do you have events, do you engage your membership, do you invite the public to your events? Do you partner with other clubs in your area for anything, like fly ins, swap meets, etc? Did you participate in Model Aviation Day, and do anything that day? How is your field, is it kept up? Did you ban anything recently like Helis or quads? Any big disagreements between cliques in the club. Word travels between clubs, sometimes people talk. Are you actively searching out new members, or just letting them come to you? Have you looked to the AMA for help at all? Might be competition in your area. If it's a cost factor, would you club "sponsor" a family membership with waived fees, and maybe even a trainer? Lot's of reasons why the club might not be getting new members, gotta look at it from different angles.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM
H5487

Yep.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-03-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:13 AM
rcmiket

Districts 2,4.6,8 and 10 council seats are up for re-election next year. Those seeking re-election or those challenging for the seat will be sending out their campaign statements soon. Might get interesting.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-03-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:25 AM
fliers1

Sorry, I didn't know if you were saying you seen that title of the link or post #33
Porcia 83 considers with the self righting electronics offered in some trainers, there is not much, if any need for flight instruction.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM
H5487

Sorry, I didn't know if you were saying you seen that title of the link or post #33
Porcia 83 considers with the self righting electronics offered in some trainers, there is not much, if any need for flight instruction.
Fliers1, oops, my bad. I didn't understand what you were telling me.

If you change the statement to no perceived need for flight instruction, I'll agree. If the purchaser can fly it right out of the box, why should they think that there's anything else to it? It's a toy that anyone can buy at any Target, Wal-mart, or Toys-R-Us so who would think that there might be laws regarding its use? (And since attorneys have turned instruction manuals into 96 pages in 37 languages of insipid warnings such as "Do not use your newly-purchased 2 horsepower electric drill to brush your teeth", who bothers to read the manuals any more?)

My Sep issue of MA arrived yesterday and it looks like HobbyZone has found a way to bring the increasingly popular No-Flying-Skills-Required technology to the fixed wing segment as well (via their new Sportsman S+ RTF). So, let me see... No building, or even assembly skills required and you don't even have to learn how to fly it. What's the use in buying it??? We are rapidly becoming a society of idiots who happily jump up and down in our chairs laughing and clapping while endlessly watching a plastic bird that repeatedly hinges down to peck a drink out of a cup of water! What happened to the notion of actually LIVING a life??? (And I used to foolishly believe that our society's eventual downfall would be from a hostile foreign government!)

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-03-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Districts 2,4.6,8 and 10 council seats are up for re-election next year. Those seeking re-election or those challenging for the seat will be sending out their campaign statements soon. Might get interesting.

Mike
+1. Elections are always interesting to watch. I'm interested to see who runs unopposed, and what the voting turn out is collectively for those districts. I didn't go back to see how those districts voted for the Suas funding though. Those can be tough jobs at times, I'd say people who are in those spots or going for them sure aren't doing it for fame or riches, but for the love of the hobby and a genuine desire to improve the AMA, regardless of their positions. Well, they do get some fancy shirts and hats, so there is some swag.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's the spirit of what I said, for the most part. Some of these out of box planes come with self righting programs, gryos, panic buttons, and now even the latest tech, the virtually automatic pilot landing. I'd say that with minimal training, someone could fly those, but at the end of the day, those planes are going to be destroyed eventually.