Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

one of ours

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

one of ours

Old 08-01-2015, 10:08 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default one of ours

https://www.facebook.com/texasunlimi...nf&pnref=story

i believe that this guy is one of our frequent posters.
anyway, to whom ever it is, man that sux.
everybody OK? you, wife kids, pets??

mongo
Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 AM
init4fun

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
https://www.facebook.com/texasunlimi...nf&pnref=story

i believe that this guy is one of our frequent posters.
anyway, to whom ever it is, man that sux.
everybody OK? you, wife kids, pets??

mongo
Hi Mongo ,

Yes , I know your correct , I know who the post refers to , and he and his family have my utmost sympathy for the tragic loss of their home . I too pray all his family and pets are safe and I hope the TUFF fundraiser has great success . Mongo , if you are a member of the TUFF club maybe you could suggest the club run one of those on line fundraisers like "Go Fund Me" or similar , to get the family as much help as possible ?

PS , I hope everybody here waits for HIS report of what happened , before they go on speculating if it was a Lipo fire or otherwise model aircraft related . At this point , coulda been a faulty stove or television set for all we know .

Last edited by init4fun; 08-02-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify the idea of an on line fundraiser ....
Old 08-08-2015, 08:04 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi Mongo ,

Yes , I know your correct , I know who the post refers to , and he and his family have my utmost sympathy for the tragic loss of their home . I too pray all his family and pets are safe and I hope the TUFF fundraiser has great success . Mongo , if you are a member of the TUFF club maybe you could suggest the club run one of those on line fundraisers like "Go Fund Me" or similar , to get the family as much help as possible ?

PS , I hope everybody here waits for HIS report of what happened , before they go on speculating if it was a Lipo fire or otherwise model aircraft related . At this point , coulda been a faulty stove or television set for all we know .

I apologize for not posting a report earlier...and I certainly appreciate all the well wishes! No it was not a LiPo fire...Just the run-of-the-mill everyday electrical fire LOL... Been a week and a day now... And if the fire wasn't enough, my truck developed a serious mechanical problem as well...when it rains it pours, I guess. Was able to tear into the transmission last night and fixed the problem...now back to motivating to take care of all the other mounting issues...

FWIW the house was a total loss...virtually burnt to the ground...but thank god my wife and dog escaped with our lives. Through this process I've learned a lot...especially about myself! One fact I can't help dwelling on is that against all my better judgment I ran into the burning house to save my dog! I could have much easier grabbed some valuable material possessions but I couldn't help myself and had to get my dear friend instead... Also leaned how lucky I am to have so many good friends as well! The selflessness and the things they have done is nothing short of amazing! This has reaffirmed everything I always knew...real friends are real, overall people are truly good, and most people really do understand we are in this one way ride together.

Probably won't be able to post here much for awhile (man, do I ever I hear the applause in the background! LOL)...lots to do...but I hope each and everyone of you take the time to spend as much time as possible with your family and friends...and be sure to check those smoke detectors...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 08-08-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
mongo

glad to hear that you and yours are all ok.
stuff is just that, and cam be replaced over time.
god be with you.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:11 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LCS if you see this drop me a PM. I presume you have H/O insurance, if so I might have some helpful advice for you. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
init4fun

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep , I'll second Mongo on saying that I'm happy to hear you and your wife and pets are safe , Stuff can be replaced and the most important thing is that no one was hurt .

I will say , I'm kinda dismayed that in close to 200 views , only Mongo , Tom , and I have offered any kind words for you . I consider everybody out here , whether I agree with everything or even anything, they say or not , to be fellow RC flying hobbyists and argue as we sometimes may I'm sure I'd have a great afternoon flying with any of ya . I couldn't imagine hearing of a misfortune of someone I regularly converse with on line , and not offer some words of sympathy , A bit of humanity goes a long way sometimes and yes there really are humans behind all the funny little pictures under our names ....
Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 PM
mongo

what init said...
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks LCS. Glad to hear you are OK. And I sympathize with, I would go into a burning house to save my dog as well. I assume you lost your modeling equipment, and I have extra stuff like radios and the like. If you can use them, you are welcome to them. I have a JR 10X I converted to 2.4 a few years ago, before I bought a DX18. It is not being used and if you want it you are welcome to it. Say the word, drop me an address and I will get it in the mail to you.
Good luck getting back on your feet
Tommy
Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 PM
JW0311

Very glad to hear you and yours are ok. Very sorry for your loss. Prayers that you will recover and be back at it in no time.

James
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM
maukaonyx

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, condolences about the house, but it is just stuff compared to your dear wife and pet. God bless you as you rebuild in the future months!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Presume LCS has his hands full at this point, but I thought I'd update this thread and put a few suggestions out there in case (god forbid knock on balsa) this ever happens to anyone else.

1. Get insurance on your place. Yes it can be expensive, but get even the lowest of coverages, it's better than nothing.
2. If you can swing it, get the RCV endorsement rather than ACV. RCV is replacement cost value, ACV is actual cash value. The simple example of each. 5 year old TV that was $1,000. If you have RCV coverage, you will get the amount of money it would take to replace that TV now, as close to what you had. So figure $500.00 on the high side. With ACV they would take the $1000 you paid (if you could prove that), then depreciate according to a generic schedule, probably 15% per year, so 75%. In this case you would get $250.00. Electronics depreciate fast, "soft goods" like clothes and furniture/rugs etc even worse. The deductions add up with a total loss.
3. Do an inventory of your house. Sounds like a herculean task, but break it down room by room. Go through each room with a video camera, or still camera and photograph all angles. Write a basic inventory of what is there, you don't have to get into the weeds with detail. Walk past the big dollar items, say into the video camera "this is a Samsung XT90", or with a still shot get the pic. Figure an hour a room in total. Once done, store your pics and written inventory offsite, or online somewhere. This step alone will save you thousands and thousands of dollars in hard cash, as well as time and aggravation later.
4. With a catastrophic loss like this, consider employing a public adjuster. Research the one you are considering using. A background with insurance claims adjusting will help. Don't go the biggest or the ones who advertise the most. Keep in mind they earn their fee typically by taking a percentage of the total amount of your claim. Yes, that means they more they "write" as lost, the more they make. Integrity is key here, so choose wisely. You don't have to hire one if you are o/k with how your carrier is handling the claim, it's always an option though.
5. fight any instinct to "pad" the claim, no matter how easy it might seem. Don't do it. The average adjuster handling these types of claims is going to spot it and your claim will go under a microscope. That usually leads to delay in ultimate resolution. It can also lead to a complete denial of your claim, in addition to possible criminal charges. Yes there are horror stories about insurance company screw ups and poor service etc, but those are typically the exception not the rule (as is the case with most companies/services). Again, integrity comes into play here, so if your public adjuster is playing games put a stop to it.

hope none of this is needed for anyone, but maybe might help.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 AM
JW0311

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Presume LCS has his hands full at this point, but I thought I'd update this thread and put a few suggestions out there in case (god forbid knock on balsa) this ever happens to anyone else.

1. Get insurance on your place. Yes it can be expensive, but get even the lowest of coverages, it's better than nothing.
2. If you can swing it, get the RCV endorsement rather than ACV. RCV is replacement cost value, ACV is actual cash value. The simple example of each. 5 year old TV that was $1,000. If you have RCV coverage, you will get the amount of money it would take to replace that TV now, as close to what you had. So figure $500.00 on the high side. With ACV they would take the $1000 you paid (if you could prove that), then depreciate according to a generic schedule, probably 15% per year, so 75%. In this case you would get $250.00. Electronics depreciate fast, "soft goods" like clothes and furniture/rugs etc even worse. The deductions add up with a total loss.
3. Do an inventory of your house. Sounds like a herculean task, but break it down room by room. Go through each room with a video camera, or still camera and photograph all angles. Write a basic inventory of what is there, you don't have to get into the weeds with detail. Walk past the big dollar items, say into the video camera "this is a Samsung XT90", or with a still shot get the pic. Figure an hour a room in total. Once done, store your pics and written inventory offsite, or online somewhere. This step alone will save you thousands and thousands of dollars in hard cash, as well as time and aggravation later.
4. With a catastrophic loss like this, consider employing a public adjuster. Research the one you are considering using. A background with insurance claims adjusting will help. Don't go the biggest or the ones who advertise the most. Keep in mind they earn their fee typically by taking a percentage of the total amount of your claim. Yes, that means they more they "write" as lost, the more they make. Integrity is key here, so choose wisely. You don't have to hire one if you are o/k with how your carrier is handling the claim, it's always an option though.
5. fight any instinct to "pad" the claim, no matter how easy it might seem. Don't do it. The average adjuster handling these types of claims is going to spot it and your claim will go under a microscope. That usually leads to delay in ultimate resolution. It can also lead to a complete denial of your claim, in addition to possible criminal charges. Yes there are horror stories about insurance company screw ups and poor service etc, but those are typically the exception not the rule (as is the case with most companies/services). Again, integrity comes into play here, so if your public adjuster is playing games put a stop to it.

hope none of this is needed for anyone, but maybe might help.

Thanks brother. Food for thought.

James
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Instead of wasting money on homeowner's insurance, I built a 2nd home.
duh.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Duh indeed, good for you of course, but I doubt the average person can do that.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 PM
mongo

for those that might be interested,
it is happening now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tyler flyin.jpg.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2122447  
Old 09-27-2015, 03:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
for those that might be interested,
it is happening now.
Shoot me your contact info/address, I have something to send down for the raffle.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:38 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Shoot me your contact info/address, I have something to send down for the raffle.
Think you can get it there before the end of today?
Old 09-27-2015, 01:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

I don't want to brag, but I KNOW people at the post office. Nuff said.

Ha...didn't even look at the details, just figured it was going on in the future. Feeling a tad bit red in the face now, but thanks for pointing it out. ha!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:18 AM
TimJ

I missed all of the excitement....

LC I'm deeply sorry for your unfortunate event. Prayers going to you and your family.
*S*