Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:10 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Isn't it ironic how so-called "Freedom Loving People" are often the ones who demand that others sacrifice THEIR freedoms in order to serve them...?
+1

See more and more of them everyday! SAD indeed!

Astro
Old 10-15-2015, 04:39 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see our field exclude helicopters and multi rotor aircraft. They have become a nuisance to the fixed wing flier. I not saying the vehicles are bad just the people operating them.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:50 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
I would like to see our field exclude helicopters and multi rotor aircraft.

Statement: You would like to see rotary wing aircraft banned at your field.

They have become a nuisance to the fixed wing flier.

I not saying the vehicles are bad just the people operating them.

Statement: Rotary wing aircraft aren't the problem, it's a people problem.
Why not just address the issue with the people causing the problem?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

We have all types at our field except large Imac types ,( their choice) and large gliders. Due to the proximity to our airport we enforce the 400 ft. limit and those type of planes just don't work out well because of that.
I flew at a club where Gliders were tried, very unsatisfactory as the hi-start and necessity of landing a glider on the field was always in conflict with others..........
We have an area where rotor craft can usually be flown w/o interfering with other aircraft. Sometimes fliers wait out their turn if they don't like the mix.
We have 90 members and are blessed with few problems at this time, good guys wanting to have fun!
We try to follow the rules, no exceptions so certain folks do not receive special treatment.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:03 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Nuisance, multirotor and Helis. Can you please tell us how they are a nuisance? These are 2 of many type of aircraft flying at our club.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I belong to two clubs that are AMA Chartered and insist the members keep current AMA.

But neither is an "AMA Club". The AMA really has nothing to do with the clubs and our operations. We pay them and not the other way around. If the AMA folded up tomorrow we'd still be flying. As was the case with the IMAA. We still are an IMAA club in spirit but have no national organization (it was just a splinter off the AMA anyway).

We have different hours of operation, decibel limits, and member "encouragements". One is focused on Giant Scale and is at a grass strip airport for "real" aircraft, and while we are within the AMA Safety guidelines we exceed several and VERY strict on spotters and monitoring the incoming aircraft (voice) radio transmissions for safety. They have all right-of-way at all times.

Neither is open to AMA members who are not also club members unless they are a guest (though there is always someone who will host a visitor with an AMA Card). The AMA Card does not guarantee you a club, and every club can have it's own rules and by-laws.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 10-15-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 AM
crash99

Ok, if you have 3 clubs of the same size in the same county with no restrictions where they are located. They both put in for a grant for project X

Club A allows most type of flying groups. Flying group Y and Z is not permitted.

Club B allows all groups like my field. Fly what you bring.

Club C only allows gas motor eagle 2 purple wing aircraft only.

Should Club A and / or C receive the Grant while Club B is not given the grant?

This could have covered other AMA benefits but this will keep it simple.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The informal club I was a member of did just that.
Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
I would like to see our field exclude helicopters and multi rotor aircraft. They have become a nuisance to the fixed wing flier. I not saying the vehicles are bad just the people operating them.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is the logical progression I'm seeing in Crash99's thinking. Others can chime in if you think I'm right or wrong.

1. I like to do something that annoys others.
2. When others are annoyed, good manners dictate that they be patient about it.
3. It's wrong to not be patient with others.
Therefore...
4. It's wrong for others to tell me not to do the thing that I like to do which I know annoys them.

That's faulty logic, plain and simple. There are 2 truths that tend to come out in these kinds of discussions. The first is the fact that not types of RC flying can co-exist. If you have pattern/circle type planes in the air you can't have that along with hovering in the same space. It just doesn't work because of simple physics. It doesn't mean that 3D or helicopters are bad or that P51 Mustangs are bad; it merely means they can't share the same flying space. The second is the immeasurable value of consideration to others. Before fueling up or arming your battery, consider how others also want to use the flying space too. If there are planes up that you might interfere with, wait. If others are waiting to fly that you might interfere with, take a break when you're done to give them a chance. And if someone bothers you, assume it's accidental and speak to them in a respectful tone about it.

Finding a way to enjoy our hobby together isn't hard. It just takes some maturity and basic problem solving skills.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:02 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy did you hit the nail on the head...all of them. The logic of using the AMA to somehow punish clubs that want to operate as they see fit is the most bizarre part of this.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:11 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good points, Jester.
As far as clubs receiving grants and other benefits from the AMA is concerned, is a 50 member "Glider Only" club any less worthy than a 200 member "Anything Goes" club...?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:18 AM
crash99

Wow brother you nailed 1-4 excluding .... 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I guess for the clubs that promote the hobby, that excludes no one, their logic has issues 😉

Now since we went off topic on a personal attack, (it's OK I have big shoulders and thick skin ) vs talking about the subject, let's get back on topic with common sense.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by crash99
Wow brother you nailed 1-4 excluding .... 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I guess for the clubs that promote the hobby, that excludes no one, their logic has issues 

Now since we went off topic on a personal attack, (it's OK I have big shoulders and thick skin ) vs talking about the subject, let's get back on topic with common sense.
LOL....there hasn't been a personal attack here yet. You've presented a question in a public thread, and so far it doesn't look like you're getting the responses you might have hoped for. Stop already with the accusations of personal attacks.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 AM
TimJ

The AMA doesn't get involved with local rules. It is up to the club members to vote people in or out of office of their club. IF you don't like the fact that 3D or turbines aren't allowed at your field, then you should step up and run for office in your club. Then you can work to change the rules and the atmosphere of your club. IT is YOUR responsibly as a club member to make sure the club and field works for the majority of it's members.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In many cases, it isn't the club that seeks to limit the activities it's the land owner and the neighbors.
Crash, you failed to answer my question....so here it is one more time.....

Do you REALLY think a 50 member Glider Only Club any less worthy of receiving AMA benefits than your Anything Goes Club...?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:19 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
The AMA doesn't get involved with local rules. It is up to the club members to vote people in or out of office of their club. IF you don't like the fact that 3D or turbines aren't allowed at your field, then you should step up and run for office in your club. Then you can work to change the rules and the atmosphere of your club. IT is YOUR responsibly as a club member to make sure the club and field works for the majority of it's members.
I agree with everything you've said here EXCEPT the part about having to hold office to change a rule. I have seen this misguided presumption cause many problems at many clubs over the years. In a healthy, well-run club the officers do not MAKE policy, they ADHERE to it. Any member ought to be able to go to a club meeting, make a motion for his proposed rule change, and have a vote called. Every club will likely differ a little on procedures of couse, but if policy is set by the officers, I would find another club.

Astro
Old 10-15-2015, 01:11 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
I agree with everything you've said here EXCEPT the part about having to hold office to change a rule. I have seen this misguided presumption cause many problems at many clubs over the years. In a healthy, well-run club the officers do not MAKE policy, they ADHERE to it. Any member ought to be able to go to a club meeting, make a motion for his proposed rule change, and have a vote called. Every club will likely differ a little on procedures of couse, but if policy is set by the officers, I would find another club.

Astro
+1 a club that operates like will do very well. Club Officers serve the club not the other way around.

Mike
Old 10-15-2015, 01:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
+1 a club that operates like will do very well. Club Officers serve the club not the other way around.

Mike
In a perfect world I would agree with you and Astro, but the reality is that in many clubs it's the officers of the club who push ideas and agendas, and the club goes along with them. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. They are not just up there hearing motions from member and having votes on them. Often times they are the ones making suggestions about club activities, functions, agendas etc and shepherding through those changes once approved. IMO, that's what they are there for, not just to hold a title. Obviously there will come a time when something the membership wants won't sit well with them, but at that point they need to find a way to make that happen if that's what the membership wants. ymmv, as will one club to another.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
I can agree with that 100 percent.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM
[email protected]

lets start a club with rubber band planes only>> if you dont like what your club votes for get out
Old 10-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Clubs are private, there is no right to belong it is a privilege to be a member of any club. Why would you want to force yourself on a group that obviously doesn’t want you?

Every club I have ever belonged to or flown with operates on the wishes of a majority of the members. If someone chooses to allow the status quo it’s not being a sheeple it’s being satisfied with how the executive of the club are running things.

I know of clubs that are electric only, gliders only, control line only, SAM only the list is endless. I belong to two clubs at the moment one has a limit of 50 members. Every club has the right to limit membership, refuse or remove membership and set limits for the size and type of aircraft/rotor wing allowed to fly. If you cannot fit in go find somewhere else to fly.

It’s amazing to hear so many think they are entitled. This sense of entitlement is what the problem is today. No one feels they have to earn the right to belong/join a club or organization instead they feel entitled and think everyone else should accommodate them. Not going to happen in my neck of the woods.

Dennis
Old 10-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
In a perfect world I would agree with you and Astro, but the reality is that in many clubs it's the officers of the club who push ideas and agendas, and the club goes along with them. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. They are not just up there hearing motions from member and having votes on them. Often times they are the ones making suggestions about club activities, functions, agendas etc and shepherding through those changes once approved. IMO, that's what they are there for, not just to hold a title. Obviously there will come a time when something the membership wants won't sit well with them, but at that point they need to find a way to make that happen if that's what the membership wants. ymmv, as will one club to another.
We said. Additionally, it's the officers who look out for the best interests of all the members of the club. As so often happens, the member making a motion is typically only looking at their best interest and not the best interest of all the members of the club nor do they typically understand all the consequences of their motions.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Propworn
Clubs are private, there is no right to belong it is a privilege to be a member of any club. Why would you want to force yourself on a group that obviously doesn’t want you?

Every club I have ever belonged to or flown with operates on the wishes of a majority of the members. If someone chooses to allow the status quo it’s not being a sheeple it’s being satisfied with how the executive of the club are running things.

I know of clubs that are electric only, gliders only, control line only, SAM only the list is endless. I belong to two clubs at the moment one has a limit of 50 members. Every club has the right to limit membership, refuse or remove membership and set limits for the size and type of aircraft/rotor wing allowed to fly. If you cannot fit in go find somewhere else to fly.

It’s amazing to hear so many think they are entitled. This sense of entitlement is what the problem is today. No one feels they have to earn the right to belong/join a club or organization instead they feel entitled and think everyone else should accommodate them. Not going to happen in my neck of the woods.

Dennis
That's true for a club. But, if the club field is on public property then things can be very different.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ever serve as a club officer?
I think you already know the answer, but I give you credit for asking....
Old 10-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

LOL...you are a hoot!

I asked a simple question, where you ever an officer of a club, and did you refer to your fellow club members as sheeple. I didn't even disagree with your characterization specifically because it would send you off the deep end, or deeper I should say.

A yes and a no would have sufficed, just as Combatpigg answered, and look, no hysterics from him.

I couldn't help but notice you didn't answer the question about referring to your fellow members as "sheeple". I'm sure they wouldn't take that in a derogatory manner at all, not one bit.
Clubs are the best and worst thing for this hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.