Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:26 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA fields that exclude AMA groups.

I know its every clubs right. No 3D or drones allowed. But they ask the AMA for all their protection. Should all the clubs be promoting and not excluding AMA groups.

Should the clubs that exclude AMA groups / members be permitted to be allowed to have all AMA protections given to their field? Like events, Should they be excluded from additional insured events. Should they be allowed to receive AMA grants? I just don't get an AMA Club that would not want to welcome AMA flyers even if they fly 3D or Multirotors.

The biggest question is, do clubs exclude these groups due to they don't like the group or could it be a hate of these groups. I'm not against on having an event like a warbird only event. I love watching those high dollar scale warbirds. Its not for me to spend the funds on the heavy warbirds. I tried it but I got board flying in circles. Its not that I don't have the building skills to build. My first scratch airplane was a Ninja Star.

I prefer to fly good flying ARF aircraft. Sport, profile, gliders and multirotor. Don't forget the 3D group is clam free for the past 6 years according to the AMA. So it cant be a safety concern.

I think this AMA fields can turn out to be a real concern to the AMA.

Crash99
Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AMA is not going to, nor should it be involved in the decisions you noted above. Not practice or feasible, or advised for that matter. The club decides, pure and simple. There are some clubs that are electric only, should they not be afforded the full protection and involvement from the AMA because they don't allow nitro or gas? Many don't allow turbines, for the same reasons some clubs are only electric (noise, size of field). If you're wondering what a club is all about, look them up online, most have their bylaws posted. Visit some and talk with people about what is and what is not allowed. Not that you have or would, but just in case if you don't agree with the clubs position, best to not get vocal about it before trying to join. Might not make for the best welcome aboard. You'll find different clubs have different traditions and expected ways of behavior. Best to figure that out before you join.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:59 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As has been said clubs are free to make their own choice as to what they allow to fly. That being said I do think the AMA should do more to discourage clubs from excluding various types of models unless they
have a good reason for doing so such as the size of their field or being close to full scale operation.

Last edited by ira d; 10-12-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:12 PM
crash99

Good points were made and I agree that clubs have the right to exclude groups but unless the club has just cause like noise restrictions by their location or size and so on maybe the AMA should exclude benefits to that club.

Coming from a club that welcomes all AMA groups and don't have issues with getting along, I am having a hard time with a club that would exclude a group do to no reason.

Maybe they should be excluded from some benefits that the clubs that promote the AMA.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:36 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's really a shame when the Entitlement Mentality doesn't carry over from real life into our hobby.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by crash99
Good points were made and I agree that clubs have the right to exclude groups but unless the club has just cause like noise restrictions by their location or size and so on maybe the AMA should exclude benefits to that club.

Coming from a club that welcomes all AMA groups and don't have issues with getting along, I am having a hard time with a club that would exclude a group do to no reason.

Maybe they should be excluded from some benefits that the clubs that promote the AMA.
You're talking about one group excluding something...because you don't like the fact that another group excluded something. Does that seem to be an odd position to take?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:11 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Try to find a jet field!! Talk about being discriminated against!! As I have been told, if you don't like the way your "home club" is being managed, become a leader and an Officer in order to make changes!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Try to find a jet field!! Talk about being discriminated against!! As I have been told, if you don't like the way your "home club" is being managed, become a leader and an Officer in order to make changes!
Yup, that may actually be your best bet. That's exactly what got me involved in one of the clubs I belong to now, I didn't like what I saw happening with helis getting singled out and eventually banned. It took two years and lots of work, but they were eventually brought back. Funny part, I don't fly them. But if that happened with heli's, there's no saying that Nitro birds, or electrics wouldn't be next. Giant scale and jets do get squeezed out sometimes though, for sure.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yup, that may actually be your best bet. That's exactly what got me involved in one of the clubs I belong to now, I didn't like what I saw happening with helis getting singled out and eventually banned. It took two years and lots of work, but they were eventually brought back. Funny part, I don't fly them. But if that happened with heli's, there's no saying that Nitro birds, or electrics wouldn't be next. Giant scale and jets do get squeezed out sometimes though, for sure.
Due to the hobby being my life, I actually went through the expense and he!! of moving closer to a jet field that is the best jet field on the West Coast of Florida. I tried the Officer thing for awhile, but sometimes you just can't change "city hall".......
Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

become a leader and an Officer in order to make changes!
The important part is to become involved. In a healthy club, the officers are elected to serve the members, NOT to make club policy.

Astro
Old 10-13-2015, 04:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

This topic comes up regularly.

All AMA chartered clubs pay a fee to be a chartered club.

Clubs can limit operations as they see fit. Many of these restrictions are due to noise, size of the field, location of the field, proximity to full-size aircraft, proximity to residential areas, highways, etc. Others are because they clubs focuses on a particular type of aircraft/flying (e.g., gliders).

Also, many fields are on private property. You wouldn't be too happy if the AMA told you what you had to do on your own property would you?

You may have some recourse if the field is on public property although that can be an uphill battle as well.

Where did you get you statistics on 3D claims? Last I heard the AMA does not maintain specific types of claims data.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Due to the hobby being my life, I actually went through the expense and he!! of moving closer to a jet field that is the best jet field on the West Coast of Florida. I tried the Officer thing for awhile, but sometimes you just can't change "city hall".......
Yup, being an officer, or even a volunteer for a club can be a tough, and sometimes thankless job. There are those who get those positions and hold onto them for dear life. term limits might make sense, it's usually a good idea to get a fresh perspective on things, but then again there is not telling if others even want the jobs.

We have one member in our club who has multiple turbines, most of the fields in the area won't let him fly, even ones with tons of open space. He's on the jet circuit now and usually goes from CT to PA to fly. We're thrilled when he comes up to the field and he always gets preference when flying. His name is Wes, you might have bumped in to him at an event. Nicest guy in the world, and man does he love his toys!

Edit...you got one helluva gallery!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Good job! It takes a special person to be willing to step up to the plate to make change happen and very few are willing to do it.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Some people don't find turbines screaming enjoyable. Some people don't find dodging 50 lb monsters that go out of control because some idiot wants to smash his rudder on the runway fun. Some people don't like the high pitched whine of a heli engine or whirling knife blades just a few feet away.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Some people don't find turbines screaming enjoyable. Some people don't find dodging 50 lb monsters that go out of control because some idiot wants to smash his rudder on the runway fun. Some people don't like the high pitched whine of a heli engine or whirling knife blades just a few feet away.
Somewhere out there there's an R/C club for everyone. If you can't find one, you can always start one.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

A club is a group of like minded people.

If you and 4 buddies got together and formed a glider club would it be fair if the AMA said you have to let gas guys fly there?

I admit that it bothers me when a type of flying is excluded, say a club that flys giant scale but doens't allow what they define as "3D"
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bingo!
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
A club is a group of like minded people.

If you and 4 buddies got together and formed a glider club would it be fair if the AMA said you have to let gas guys fly there?

I admit that it bothers me when a type of flying is excluded, say a club that flys giant scale but doens't allow what they define as "3D"
Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
The important part is to become involved. In a healthy club, the officers are elected to serve the members, NOT to make club policy.

Astro
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Good job! It takes a special person to be willing to step up to the plate to make change happen and very few are willing to do it.
+1
Clubs dictate policy not the AMA.
Anything can be changed it just takes effort and the willingness to step up.

Mike
Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM
crash99

First, RCFLYERDAN, your and the rest of you are always welcome to fly with us. See we welcome all AMA members and exclude no one. See we fly what we bring and we all get along.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:51 AM
crash99

Now just because you can exclude groups from your field, does not make it right
Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
+1
Clubs dictate policy not the AMA.
Anything can be changed it just takes effort and the willingness to step up.

Mike
Clubs must follow the AMA Safe Code.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

If that's what the club wants, then it's right for the club.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nothing ever gets banned for no reason. 3d pilots can be very inconsiderate of others, leading to that kind of flying being banned in many clubs. If you don't want it happening in your club, don't hover over the runway or get in other's way who are flying the circuit. Sometimes helicopters aren't allowed for the same reason. For multirotors, I don't see why they would want to fly them at a club field, but if they did and were banned it would probably be for jerkish behavior too.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Silent-AV8R

Two clubs that I fly at exclude turbines because the landowners have specifically requested that turbines be excluded. So, should the clubs allow turbines in the name of inclusiveness and lose their flying sites as a result, or is this a situation where it is OK?

Three other flying sites, two in City parks, the other not, only allow electrics planes, again because the parks departments and/or land owners are concerned about noise. So is this a situation where it is OK to ban an AMA group or ignore the owners and risk losing the flying sites?

It seems that many think the decision to prohibit certain kinds of planes/groups is based on a dislike of the prohibited group. That has rarely been my experience. Bans are almost always the result of restrictions that come from the land owners or other limitations that are needed in order for the site to even exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.