Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Glad you appreciate it.

Mike
At our club we have a safety officer as required by the AMA and we follow the AMA safety code as the members agreed to when they singed their AMA membership application. At our club the members don't decide whether or not they're going to follow the safety code.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 AM
rcsws
My Feedback: (3)

So congress passes legislation that prevents regulation and the FAA/DOT ignores it. That is the AMA's fault? The AMA should sue to have this whole thing tossed and should sue for damages as well. I know it is not probable, but maybe name the individuals involved, not just the agency should be named in the lawsuit.

BTW- while they are telling you that you are registering your planes, you are just giving them information about yourself. This way, in the near future, when they require a pilot license of some sort they have you by the short hairs already.

Don't kid yourselves and think this is just for safety. This is a power play to circumvent congress.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
At our club we have a safety officer as required by the AMA and we follow the AMA safety code as the members agreed to when they singed their AMA membership application. At our club the members don't decide whether or not they're going to follow the safety code.
The FAA mandates ARE not part of the Safety Code are they?
Thanks Again For Your Input
Mike.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcsws
So congress passes legislation that prevents regulation and the FAA/DOT ignores it. That is the AMA's fault? The AMA should sue to have this whole thing tossed and should sue for damages as well. I know it is not probable, but maybe name the individuals involved, not just the agency should be named in the lawsuit.

BTW- while they are telling you that you are registering your planes, you are just giving them information about yourself. This way, in the near future, when they require a pilot license of some sort they have you by the short hairs already.

Don't kid yourselves and think this is just for safety. This is a power play to circumvent congress.
Exactly, I was wondering how they think they have the authority to issue this registration requirement when a law exists to the contrary.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike.
So, you think they're not going to be part of the Safety Code?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:02 AM
N410DC

Where did the FAA mention AMA Clubs enforcing the "law" or "having to do it"? As I see it it's the pilots responsibility. If your in compliance fine if your not that your problem not the clubs. As a club officer I'm not your mother.

Mike
Originally Posted by thepamster
If you are flying at your clubs field which is an AMA Chartered club you will likely have to show proof of registration along with your renewed AMA.

Just because I am ready to register my aircraft doesn't mean this fight is over. I will continue to argue for the separation of drones and model aircraft, because it is what I believe. Dammitt.
Mike.
So far, I have seen nothing to indicate that the AMA will require its members to register their aircraft with the FAA. The Safety Code certainly has not been updated to include this mandate. Given the fact that the AMA is publicly opposing the FAA's decision, and declaring the FAA"s action to be in violation of a Congressional mandate, I doubt they will require us to register with the FAA in the foreseeable future.

The FAA, on the other hand, is threatening us with some pretty hefty penalties.

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Will we need ask the scouts who shoot off rockets at our field to have their registration numbers on every rocket? And make sure they don't go over 400 ft.? Only A size motors?
I am pretty sure the registration requirements only pertain to aircraft that are remotely controlled. I suppose the FAA might claim that rockets that have R/C capability, and that weigh >250g must be registered, though the vast majority of rockets out there do not meet these parameters.

Last edited by N410DC; 12-15-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 AM
dan kelly

If it is flown for purposes other than a model then YES. I fly all my aircraft as a model so NO I won't be registering anything. AMAZON WILL!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 AM
rcmiket

So, you think they're not going to be part of the Safety Code?
My Magic 8 Ball is not sure.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	2135894  
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Will we need ask the scouts who shoot off rockets at our field to have their registration numbers on every rocket? And make sure they don't go over 400 ft.? Only A size motors?
Only if therockets are Radio Controlled & the scouts are 13 or older.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

My Magic 8 Ball is not sure.
Mike
That's interesting, sometimes your Magic 8 Ball couldn't possibly be more sure of itself and then other times it's not sure at all. Guess it all depends on who's idea it is. Nice job on the bias calibration on your Magic 8 Ball.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC
So far, I have seen nothing to indicate that the AMA will require its members to register their aircraft with the FAA. The Safety Code certainly has not been updated to include this mandate. Given the fact that the AMA is publicly opposing the FAA's decision, and declaring the FAA"s action to be in violation of a Congressional mandate, I doubt they will require us to register with the FAA in the foreseeable future.

I am pretty sure the registration requirements only pertain to aircraft that are remotely controlled. I suppose the FAA might claim that rockets that have R/C capability, and that weigh >250g must be registered, though the vast majority of rockets out there do not meet these parameters.
Perhaps you didn't get the memo from the AMA (link below). The AMA is not above the FAA.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5c1...0d7b711476&r=0
Old 12-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

They have at least one lawsuit in play, I assume there will be another. Maybe this time others will help fund it as well.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:08 AM
HoundDog

Of course it is Congress and the AMA Pissed the FAA off telling them thru Amendment #336 what they could and could not due with Models. It just so happens along comes Quad Copters and people not affiliated with good R/C flying Practices mostly flying these craft when, Where & How contrary to good R/C practices and the FAR's and AMA/CBO safety code. So now we have to go thru the "TERRIBLY DIFFICULT" NOT process of registration of the PILOT not the craft and putting another piece of paper in our pocket and in the plane/Quad/DRONE. What an Inconvenience not to mention it's free for the first 3 years and a $1.67 per year after that.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

A dollar 67 now. a thousand 6 hundred and seventy later.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by N410DC

It's not aircraft that are being Registered It's YOU the PILOT/Owner. Don't U understand that. Now if U fly a buddy's plane is it his Number or Yours or Both that must be on/in that craft. Like wise
If I am flying a student's plane Under the Intro Pilot Program Who's Registration Number is required to be in/on the plane Mine His or both?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

It's not aircraft that are being Registered It's YOU the PILOT/Owner.
Pretty sure the FAA said its the aircraft, not the owner as per the recommendations. But the owner still has to give out a lot of information.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 AM
MrShoes
My Feedback: (15)

In the time you spend here venting about the new rules, you should spend the same time complaining to your Congressman. Just be sure and let them know you will no longer support him/her if hobbyist flying under AMA membership and at sanctioned fields are included with drone operators who are not should be excluded from the FAA registration rule.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
It's not aircraft that are being Registered It's YOU the PILOT/Owner. Don't U understand that. Now if U fly a buddy's plane is it his Number or Yours or Both that must be on/in that craft. Like wise
If I am flying a student's plane Under the Intro Pilot Program Who's Registration Number is required to be in/on the plane Mine His or both?
Does it really matter as long as the aircraft contains a FAA issued registration number?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by dan kelly
If it is flown for purposes other than a model then YES. I fly all my aircraft as a model so NO I won't be registering anything. AMAZON WILL!!!
U R WRONG. Amazon doesn't.won't register anything because They aren't registering DRONES they are REGISTERING PILOTS over the age of 12. PERIOD. THEY means the FAA/DOT/NTSB Also if U fly any R/C for anything but FUN/Education U will be required to possess a commercial Pilots License and in the case of Rotor Craft an Rotor Craft Endorsement witch will cost U for Private, commercial and Heili endorsement some where just short of a $100,000 dollars. And if all instruction/flight tests are accomplished in Rotor craft U can not operate as pilot in command any Fixed wing craft with out at a Single Engine Land Endorsement on your pilot certificate If of course flying for PROFIT.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-15-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Pretty sure the FAA said its the aircraft, not the owner as per the recommendations. But the owner still has to give out a lot of information.
It's my understanding the number is assigned to the pilot for use on all his or her aircraft.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It's your fleet number all your fleet get YOUR number on or in each plane so it's U they are in essence registering U. Now along with that are u allowed to fly a buddy's plane with his number on/in or do U need Your number or both? .... Yet to be determined.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:32 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys can do as you choose but I will not be complying because according to "PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012" " SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT" , as long as flown under the listed parameters I am exempt. There are no and's. if's, or but's, as long as one abides by the parameters.
And I don't see clubs requiring it nor event CD's, it is not against the law to fly model aircraft within the congress given guidelines. Until congress changes the law the FAA can not tell me to stop flying or require me to register!

Last edited by acerc; 12-15-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog

It's your fleet number all your fleet get YOUR number on or in each plane so it's U they are in essence registering U. Now along with that are u allowed to fly a buddy's plane with his number on/in or do U need Your number or both? .... Yet to be determined.
Yes you are registering your fleet, you will have to list the planes. You are not registering yourself as a pilot.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

It's my understanding the number is assigned to the pilot for use on all his or her aircraft.
It is my understanding that the owner, who may or may not be the pilot, will register his fleet and will have to list the airplanes in the registration.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 AM
HoundDog

It's my understanding the number is assigned to the pilot for use on all his or her aircraft
Absolutely It's the PILOTS NUMBER he places on all planes in his/her fleet so in essence it's the pilots number they care about they or they would have required registration of the aircraft by serial number etc etc

also they register the Pilot so if they are forced through the courts to abide by #336 and not make any regs for Model airplanes flown strictly for fun or education they can say they aren't making rules for R/C's. they are registering PILOTS because we are operating in the NAS. A Very simple and sneaky concept don't u think?

man I've 72 Emails pertaining to RCU forums from yesterday to read thru ... Think I'll Just blow them all away go SSS a stop at mickey D's on the way to the field. It aught to be interesting discussion today. Tuesday is the day the IMPORTANT people show up. U know the 10% that run the place and do 90%+ of the work.
BUrrrrrrrrrrrr it only 44 man gota get the Parka out.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-15-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.