Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[TABLE="width: 468"]
[TR]
[TD]FAA Drone Rule Released
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 170, align: right"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The FAA’s new rule that will require drone users to register their aircraft was released today (PDF), and FAA officials told reporters this morning they’re hopeful the word will get out and users will comply. “Unmanned aircraft operators are aviators,” said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, on a conference call. “And with that title comes a great deal of responsibility.” He added: “My message to unmanned aircraft operators is pretty simple: It is in your best interest to register early ...This is one step we’re taking, but it’s not the only step the government will take when it comes to the safe integration of these technologies. We reserve the right to ratchet up or down depending on circumstances as they continue to evolve.” The rule applies to all drones weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.
The new online registration system, which will open next Monday, Dec. 21, will require users to enter a name, address, email address and credit card number. The registration fee will be $5 for three years, and the same registration number can be used for any number of UAS. The number must be displayed on each drone. Users who currently own UAS or buy them before Dec. 21 must register by Feb. 21, 2016. On and after Dec. 21, owners must register before their first flight outdoors. The registration fee is waived for the first 30 days after the registry opens; however, users still must enter a credit card number, which will be charged the fee, and then it will later be refunded. Users age 13 and up can register on their own; younger users must have a parent register for them.
Education is a paramount goal of the registration system, said FAA deputy administrator Roger Whitaker. Registration provides the FAA with an opportunity to ensure that operators know the rules. The UAS must be operated only below 400 feet, within sight of the operator at all times; they must stay away from manned aircraft, never fly over crowds or events, and if flying within 5 miles of an airport, the operator must contact the airport first. “We’ll be pushing out information via faa.gov, Facebook, and Twitter,” Whitaker said. Whitaker said the FAA is working closely with industry partners to get the word out to users about their responsibilities. Many manufacturers will include information about registration at point of sale. The FAA has several enforcement options, including civil penalties and criminal penalties of up to three years in jail. “Our real challenge is to get users to understand the rules and comply,” Whitaker said.
Drones still are limited to use only for hobby or recreation, the FAA said, but by next spring they plan to offer "enhancements" to the online system that will allow owners to register drones for use in connection with a business. The rule released today is an "Interim Final Rule," which means it's effective immediately upon publication; however, the FAA still will accept comments on the rule and may alter it if warranted.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Report Card on FAA's Drone Registration
By Paul Bertorelli
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Despite our cynical belief that it would never get it done before Christmas, the FAA announced on Monday that its new drone registration program for all but the smallest drones will be in place next week. After we've registered, we'll let you know how it works. But in the meantime, we've given the FAA a report card so far. The good news? It's doing better than in the last semester.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 12-16-2015, 03:39 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.faa.gov/contact/safety_hotline/

Here is a place we can submit all of our complaints about this new ruling. I've sent mine, have you?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:48 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Can't provide a cite, but my understanding is the credit card verification will be used as a check on the identity of the applicant. You need it even for a $0.00 payment.
What do people do who don't have credit cards?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by fliers1
They don't purchase RC gear.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by TimJ
https://www.faa.gov/contact/safety_hotline/

Here is a place we can submit all of our complaints about this new ruling. I've sent mine, have you?
Not sure if you know that's not the right place to voice a complaint of this nature, but that's not really the right place to voice a complaint about this issue. They have a comment section open for a little while, that will be more effective. At best with the link you've noted you'll tie up FAA people unnecessarily, and at best they will just direct you someone else.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
[TABLE="width: 468"]
[TR]
[TD]FAA Drone Rule Released
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 170, align: right"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The FAA’s new rule that will require drone users to register their aircraft was released today (PDF), and FAA officials told reporters this morning they’re hopeful the word will get out and users will comply. “Unmanned aircraft operators are aviators,” said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, on a conference call. “And with that title comes a great deal of responsibility.” He added: “My message to unmanned aircraft operators is pretty simple: It is in your best interest to register early ...This is one step we’re taking, but it’s not the only step the government will take when it comes to the safe integration of these technologies. We reserve the right to ratchet up or down depending on circumstances as they continue to evolve.” The rule applies to all drones weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.
The new online registration system, which will open next Monday, Dec. 21, will require users to enter a name, address, email address and credit card number. The registration fee will be $5 for three years, and the same registration number can be used for any number of UAS. The number must be displayed on each drone. Users who currently own UAS or buy them before Dec. 21 must register by Feb. 21, 2016. On and after Dec. 21, owners must register before their first flight outdoors. The registration fee is waived for the first 30 days after the registry opens; however, users still must enter a credit card number, which will be charged the fee, and then it will later be refunded. Users age 13 and up can register on their own; younger users must have a parent register for them.
Education is a paramount goal of the registration system, said FAA deputy administrator Roger Whitaker. Registration provides the FAA with an opportunity to ensure that operators know the rules. The UAS must be operated only below 400 feet, within sight of the operator at all times; they must stay away from manned aircraft, never fly over crowds or events, and if flying within 5 miles of an airport, the operator must contact the airport first. “We’ll be pushing out information via faa.gov, Facebook, and Twitter,” Whitaker said. Whitaker said the FAA is working closely with industry partners to get the word out to users about their responsibilities. Many manufacturers will include information about registration at point of sale. The FAA has several enforcement options, including civil penalties and criminal penalties of up to three years in jail. “Our real challenge is to get users to understand the rules and comply,” Whitaker said.
Drones still are limited to use only for hobby or recreation, the FAA said, but by next spring they plan to offer "enhancements" to the online system that will allow owners to register drones for use in connection with a business. The rule released today is an "Interim Final Rule," which means it's effective immediately upon publication; however, the FAA still will accept comments on the rule and may alter it if warranted.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Report Card on FAA's Drone Registration
By Paul Bertorelli
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Despite our cynical belief that it would never get it done before Christmas, the FAA announced on Monday that its new drone registration program for all but the smallest drones will be in place next week. After we've registered, we'll let you know how it works. But in the meantime, we've given the FAA a report card so far. The good news? It's doing better than in the last semester.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Now that is funny. Pretty good grading too. The comments section is the best. If only teachers were allowed to free form something like that now...it's all pre-filled comments!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

At this point the FAA hasn't addressed that. I suppose a check might work, but they don't give direction on that. The theory of the CC is that it's a way to confirm and authenticate your information. I would say borrow someones but that would sort of defeat the purpose they intended.

Q. Why do I need to pay to register?
A. The fee will go to pay for the costs of creating the streamlined web-based registry system, and to maintain and improve this system. The FAA is legally required to charge a registration fee.
Q. The website said registration is free. Why am I being charged $5?
A. The credit card transaction helps authenticate the user. You will see a credit for the $5 shortly after the charge appears.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 PM
TimJ

These folks help keep local hobby shops in business.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:13 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
Not sure if you know that's not the right place to voice a complaint of this nature, but that's not really the right place to voice a complaint about this issue. They have a comment section open for a little while, that will be more effective. At best with the link you've noted you'll tie up FAA people unnecessarily, and at best they will just direct you someone else.
It may not be, but who knows. It does state:
How may we help you?
I have a concern involving an FAA employee, FAA office or FAA policy.

LOL
Old 12-16-2015, 04:41 PM
FokkerD7
My Feedback: (5)

Check this one out

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/myrupprecht...istration-rule
Old 12-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by mike1974
Not at all. It is a fact. The whole point of this "law" is to keep the NAS safer, but neither you nor the retired airline pilot can explain how it is going to accomplish that? In fact nobody has been able to explain to me how this keeps the NAS safer.
The registration process will provide the FAA with a database and a conduit to provide information and educational materials to registered individuals. Education of the users is the primary objective, do's, don'ts, etc. prompting safety and reducing risk for users of the NAS as well as persons on the ground (don't fly over crowds of people, something we all knew as a don't, right?)
Here's a scenario, Imagine the POTUS is flying into town and a NOTAM is issued for a specific radius restricting any RC flying for a period of time while AF1 is utilizing the airspace. Likely any registered personnel will receive that notification via their registered email address, risk reduction (safety). Sure, we were all aware that the AMA forwards that information around, but that doesn't reach non-AMA NAS users (risk).

As a community of traditional RC flyers we should consider that the reason for the registration was not guys who are and have been flying at traditional AMA fields around the country not causing problems for many years, (most of us here).

The registration system is for the individual who requires operators to ground full scale aircraft trying to fight forest fires due to RC operators taking videos of the fire (risk). The registration requirement for the traditional AMA/RC flyers is basically collateral damage to a ever expanding technology that's cheap, easy to operate, and readily available by anyone who wants it at a moments notice (risk).

Will it work? Time will tell. But with the forecast of a million or so cheap, easy to operate RC aircraft to be under the tree next week they felt action was appropriate to educate those users (risk reduction=safety).
Old 12-16-2015, 04:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

It may not be, but who knows. It does state:
How may we help you?
I have a concern involving an FAA employee, FAA office or FAA policy.

LOL

Well...they did ask!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FokkerD7
That's a great write up...I'm guessing that analysis would run about $2500.00 if someone was to have paid for it. Many interesting points. This is one guy's comments too...imagine the tables loaded up with these guys on either side if the matter is litigated. Summed it up nicely...at first glance I thought he meant AMA members average age of 16-40 and thought...what club did he visit?

Thanks for sharing this.

[h=1]Final Thoughts:[/h] How will this get challenged? The group of people primarily being targeted are the model aircraft guys, mostly males ages 16-40, working full time, that are disorganized, and would most likely rather just chance getting caught than comply. There is also the AMA members which tend to be very law abiding but they are the minority. The Section 333 guys are not going to fight but love it because it makes their lives so much easier than the Part 47 process.
The only 2 scenarios I see where someone would step in to challenge this rule would be: (1) a large group like the Academy of Model Aeronautics on behalf of its members or maybe some large organization focused on protecting people’s privacy or (2) someone receiving an enforcement action or criminal prosecution and is capitalized well enough to pay an attorney to fight this as opposed to settling for a lower amount than prosecution.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM
franklin_m

The only 2 scenarios I see where someone would step in to challenge this rule would be: (1) a large group like the Academy of Model Aeronautics on behalf of its members or maybe some large organization focused on protecting people’s privacy or (2) someone receiving an enforcement action or criminal prosecution and is capitalized well enough to pay an attorney to fight this as opposed to settling for a lower amount than prosecution.
I wonder if the courts would grant 'standing' to AMA.

Also, FAA/DOT has armies of lawyers who are already bought and paid for. AMA filed suit not long after 336 was published, and that's still not resolved. Even if they filed suit today, we''d still be litigating this years from now. In the meantime, the DOT/FAA would be running up the AMA's legal bill.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I wonder if the courts would grant 'standing' to AMA.

Also, FAA/DOT has armies of lawyers who are already bought and paid for. AMA filed suit not long after 336 was published, and that's still not resolved. Even if they filed suit today, we''d still be litigating this years from now. In the meantime, the DOT/FAA would be running up the AMA's legal bill.
Can't envision the courts not granting standing to the AMA. I mentioned earlier about the govt having a table full of attys, I probably should have said tables in offices on floors in buildings, ALL full of attorneys. These are govt employees too, not guys that charges by the tenth of the hour. It would be their pleasure to work this type of case nice and slow. The cost to litigate would be significant for the plaintiffs. I suspect it will be litigated, and by one group on behalf of many, backed by deep pockets. Not as deep as Uncle Sam though.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if these folks need to register as well?

http://www.pigeon.org/index.html

Astro
Old 12-16-2015, 06:20 PM
9ballvalk
My Feedback: (13)

I imagine that the AMA liability insurance will only cover damages when the owner complies with the registration requirement, including proof of registration and labeling the airframe(s) with your new identification number.

Also, AMA sanctioned clubs and events will now have to verify proof of participant registration in order to fly at the AMA chartered club airfield or in AMA events. There won't be any exceptions if the new law stands as written today.

There will be a lot of revisions to club bylaws in the very near future...probably not later than the February registration deadline.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
Ha! That whole thing is pretty cool. I love the "lost bird" section on that site. I think Mike Tyson is into that hobby.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 9ballvalk
I imagine that the AMA liability insurance will only cover damages when the owner complies with the registration requirement, including proof of registration and labeling the airframe(s) with your new identification number.

Also, AMA sanctioned clubs and events will now have to verify proof of participant registration in order to fly at the AMA chartered club airfield or in AMA events. There won't be any exceptions if the new law stands as written today.

There will be a lot of revisions to club bylaws in the very near future...probably not later than the February registration deadline.
The policies sold to the AMA are probably standard policies and won't be easy to change, or at least change quickly. I doubt you'll see specific policy language about the issue anytime soon. The AMA might chose to require proof of registration for their own reasons, which might or might not be associated with the insurance. Despite repeated comments from one guy here stating the AMA has already covered these issues...he won't produce evidence of this, and I've yet to see anything from the AMA. Check back with the AMA, or ask your local AVP (there are a bunch in NJ), or even your VP Eric Williams.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
If U can get one with servos Battery and R/C receiver yes.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If U can get one with servos Battery and R/C receiver yes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	2136127  
Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 PM
HoundDog

[/QUOTE]
oops

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-16-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM
HoundDog

[QUO Originally Posted by HoundDog
If U can get one with servos Battery and R/C receiveryes.
TE=porcia83;12143364]

What do U know "Traditional all Traditional".
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Thank you most benevolent and all knowing government for allowing me the privilege of flying my remote control airplane.
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I would have no problem with it. Even if it's an OS .55AX powered Great Planes Extra 300SP. Flying a model airplane, like driving a car, is a privilege. Not a right.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

There is nothing in the new rule that states that it supersedes this rule which would make the new rule illegal...

Page 72, Sec 336, "Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this sub-title, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.