Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:19 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Although I've disagreed at time with his positions, his getting out (or not) isn't really relative to his ability to make comments pro or con regarding the FAA or AMA. Although he has indicated he was leaving the AMA as there was no need for it where he is living, he is still a member. For the record every org needs what some would be considered to be a gadfly (not saying franklin is, just saying in general). Orgs get myopic and might suffer from tunnel vision unless someone has the brass ones every now and then to speak there mind, even it it makes others feel uncomfortable. I used to shrink in the chair and go uh oh, here it comes, when one of the more vocal people in our club used to ask for a chance to speak or question the board. Sometimes it was like oh god, did he just go there? But ya...he did, and he needed to because some of us didn't know we should, or could. Lot's has been said of the AMA over the past two years, good and bad. I doubt the EC spends time here reading what is written, it's typically pretty anti-AMA in general, but through it all might be some good suggestions. They did the survey a while back and hopefully glean some useful information from that as well. I trust that the EC has best intentions for the membership, but if they never seek membership feedback, I think that's a missed opportunity.
Thank you. For the record, I've been a member of AMA for a while. I was a member of a local club, but after two years not flying at the club field despite a membership fee that exceeded the AMA annual dues (by a lot), I decided to let the club membership lapse. Since I own a home of my own, the AMA insurance is secondary anyway. I committed to remain an AMA member through 2016. If I go through another year w/o needing the membership to fly what I want to fly, then I'd rather put that $200 a year (AMA + club dues) into airplanes, helicopters, batteries, or other stuff. It's a matter of value for my dollar.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
No I'm not. I'm contemplating leaving AMA, mostly because I haven't needed it to fly in the last two years. If I get through three years w/o needing it to fly the stuff I want to fly, then it's not a good use of my money.
The same could be said for auto insurance, health insurance, and homeowner's/renters insurance? Have you filed a claim with those every two years or canceled them as well?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Thank you. For the record, I've been a member of AMA for a while. I was a member of a local club, but after two years not flying at the club field despite a membership fee that exceeded the AMA annual dues (by a lot), I decided to let the club membership lapse. Since I own a home of my own, the AMA insurance is secondary anyway. I committed to remain an AMA member through 2016. If I go through another year w/o needing the membership to fly what I want to fly, then I'd rather put that $200 a year (AMA + club dues) into airplanes, helicopters, batteries, or other stuff. It's a matter of value for my dollar.
If it's a matter of value for your dollar why are you even in the hobby in the first place? No too many worse investments than R/C equipment.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:35 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The USC says airplanes must be registered, not owners. The FAA says this is registering the model. So which is it?
Since you may have missed it. Here is what a Registration Certificate looks like. You are registering yourself. I've changed the name and number.

If you are flying for commercial purposes you will be registering the aircraft.

If you fly for hobby, you are registering yourself. Then applying the number you receive to all of your Drones/quads/helis/airplanes/dog houses, what ever you've decide to make fly that is heavier than 0.55lbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NO FAA CERT.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2137128  
Old 12-22-2015, 03:53 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

It's a matter of personal preference as well, and ultimately up to each of use to decide one way or another.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Since you may have missed it. Here is what a Registration Certificate looks like. You are registering yourself. I've changed the name and number.

If you fly for hobby, you are registering yourself. Then applying the number you receive to all of your Drones/quads/helis/airplanes/dog houses, what ever you've decide to make fly that is heavier than 0.55lbs
Love the Certificate number you sly devil you!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:58 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Do I have to take a physical? ;-)
Charlie Is that a girls name? If yes I'm a doctor. LOL

This is getting completely RE=DUC-U=LUS I just blue another 45 Unanswered URL forums from RCU on this stupid crap .... Cold and nasty so didn't fly but I've missed 3 of my 5 naps already today. Can't miss any more. Night All To OLD to keep Up ... Ain't U happy? LOL
Old 12-22-2015, 04:32 PM
buzzby
My Feedback: (7)

I am trying to figure out who is going to enforce this ruling.Do the local police have any right to check registration or is it to be regulated by the FAA enforcement rep. Can a Local cop demand to see you registration or have the right to take your aircraft if you don't have it on the aircraft.The local cops can't enforce the immigration laws so can you tell them to go away or ask them to get an FAA agent. Just asking, I went ahead and registered but would like to know who has the athority.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by buzzby
I am trying to figure out who is going to enforce this ruling.Do the local police have any right to check registration or is it to be regulated by the FAA enforcement rep. Can a Local cop demand to see you registration or have the right to take your aircraft if you don't have it on the aircraft.The local cops can't enforce the immigration laws so can you tell them to go away or ask them to get an FAA agent. Just asking, I went ahead and registered but would like to know who has the athority.
More info here but yes Police do have the right to check your registration.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforceme...ement-FAQs.pdf

Q: Must I cooperate with any Federal, State or local law enforcement officer if asked to provideproof of registration?
A: Yes, a Certificate of Aircraft Registration must be carried by the operator of the UAS and made available to law enforcement and/or the FAA upon request. If you are asked to show your certificate of registration, you can show it electronically, you do not need to print the certificate.

and this is the guidance material for Law Enforcement Officers.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforceme...dance_card.pdf

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-22-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:43 PM
HoundDog

Just offer a $1000 reward for info leading to arrest and conviction for flying anything R/C with out your Registration simple ....
Old 12-22-2015, 04:47 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=Rob2160;12147388]More info here but yes Police do have the right to check your registration.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforceme...ement-FAQs.pdf

Q: Must I cooperate with any Federal, State or local law enforcement officer if asked to provideproof of registration?
A: Yes, a Certificate of Aircraft Registration must be carried by the operator of the UAS and made available to law enforcement and/or the FAA upon request. If you are asked to show your certificate of registration, you can show it electronically, you do not need to print the certificate.

and this this is the guidance material for Law Enforcement Officers.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforceme...dance_card.pdf[
/QUOTE]
What's so tuff about not understanding that U must register to fly any R/C toy in the NAS or go to jail Sounds simple to me. U do have your AMA info in all your R/C TOYS don't U?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:57 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just offer a $1000 reward for info leading to arrest and conviction for flying anything R/C with out your Registration simple ....
It's a $27,000 dollar fine plus jail time for not registering. But I guess your way could work too. LOL Then people will start getting their asses kicked for ratting, much like the elementary school play ground.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:09 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The same could be said for auto insurance, health insurance, and homeowner's/renters insurance? Have you filed a claim with those every two years or canceled them as well?
Auto insurance required by law, health insurance required by law, homeowner's required by mortgage contract. Big difference.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:13 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
If it's a matter of value for your dollar why are you even in the hobby in the first place? No too many worse investments than R/C equipment.
I get more value out of batteries, kits, and equipment than I do out of a mediocre magazine and insurance that kicks in after my own. Unless I need the AMA membership to fly at all, which I haven't for over two years now, then it seems my money is better spent on the former.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:15 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's a matter of personal preference as well, and ultimately up to each of use to decide one way or another.
Yep. I have no problem if people see more value in AMA than I do and vote differently with their dollars. Like I said, I committed to another year (2016), I'll decide then.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:24 PM
TimJ

Auto insurance required by law, health insurance required by law, homeowner's required by mortgage contract. Big difference.
So it takes a few more people getting killed for a law to be passed? And for you to carry insurance for your deadly toy plane?

Gotcha.

I get more value out of batteries, kits, and equipment than I do out of a mediocre magazine and insurance that kicks in after my own. Unless I need the AMA membership to fly at all, which I haven't for over two years now, then it seems my money is better spent on the former.
So it allows you to purchase one more Hobby Ki#$ arf?

Last edited by TimJ; 12-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

It's a $27,000 dollar fine plus jail time for not registering. But I guess your way could work too. LOL Then people will start getting their asses kicked for ratting, much like the elementary school play ground.
Old school style...stitches for snitches!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Nighthawk117
My Feedback: (41)

Originally Posted by mike1974
Well, this registration is not reasonable as it relates to keeping the NAS safe. Reasonable and easy as far as taking money from responsible people and adding an extra step to fly a toy, then yes. IMO the FAA just fumbled the ball, on the goal line, with 5 seconds to go in the Super Bowl to lose the game with this registration thing.

To be clear, I have zero problem with the FAA keeping the NAS and full scale aircraft safe. That's great! I want the NAS and full scale aircraft to be safe! Registration accomplishes none of that, and that is my problem with the whole thing.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner ! Okay here is a scenario : Kid walks into Best Buy, see's the quadcopter they sell and decides to buy it, saw it on YouTube on his iPhone. Heads home ( which is about a 1/4 mile away from a local airport and decides to give it a go. Watches another video, sets it up and off he goes........well, he has a problem and loses control and it flys away, kids pissed. Well the quad has flown into the path of a full size aircraft on final approach and well you decide the outcome....... #1 how is this kid suppose to know he needed to register with the FAA ? #2 this kid doesn't even like to do homework let alone go online and read the rules and laws concerning NAS. So who is this really for ? The responsible ,respectable, safe hobbiest ? Really ? Just my 2 cents
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
franklin_m

So it takes a few more people getting killed for a law to be passed? And for you to carry insurance for your deadly toy plane? ... Gotcha.
Your logic escapes me. I do not see what your comment has to do with legally required auto & health insurance as well as insurance required by mortgage company. And my homeowner's covers my hobby flying before AMA pay dollar #1.

So it allows you to purchase one more Hobby Ki#$ arf?
You have no idea. I am currently flying kit built helis (450, 500, & 600 sizes), a scratch built pylon racer, and a .15 size builders kit old school pattern plane.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I've always had an issue with a non-governmental organization that requires membership dues being allowed to serve as a "gatekeeper"
If I didn't know any better I'd say your auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and health insurance companies are acting as "gatekeepers". No difference. I feel a huge conspiracy theory is about to emerge. I see no reason why the FAA or state governments couldn't mandate liability insurance for model aviation.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'm always amazed at how much time and energy some folks can expend decrying their perceived value of an AMA membership. Heck, I've never thought twice about the cost of my AMA membership and I've never thought about not being a member. I count my blessing everyday.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by HoundDog

We aren't concerned about AMA people on an AMA Field It's the ones U find flying any UAS with out registration Warn them and/o if their flying in a dangerous Manor turn them in For the good of the Hobby/Sport. We don't ave to be a bad ass unless they are Just try and educate them.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
Watch this and then tell me any of our fears are "premature".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpKaXFpL_hA

Here are the roles of the FAA.

The FAA's roles include:
  • Regulating U.S. commercial space transportation
  • Regulating air navigation facilities' geometric and flight inspection standards
  • Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology
  • Issuing, suspending, or revoking pilot certificates
  • Regulating civil aviation to promote safety, especially through local offices called Flight Standards District Offices
  • Developing and operating a system of air traffic control and navigation for both civil and military aircraft
  • Researching and developing the National Airspace System and civil aeronautics
  • Developing and carrying out programs to control aircraft noise and other environmental effects of civil aviation
You see anything here about fines, jail time, or any other punishment to anyone who does not hold a pilot license? That is because they are not a form of law enforcement. They have no authority to levy fines, much less jail time. This must be done through the civil courts and not directly by the FAA. They are NOT a Judicial arm of the government. To insinuate that they have such authority is a scare tactic not befitting of a branch associated with a democratic state. Shame on you FAA. The end certainly does not justify the means.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

OK, then this is an illegal registration because the USC says that aircraft not people must be registered.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Franklin, you should be flattered that so many members of this forum are writing a book about you..!!
I suppose it gives them a "creative outlet" that you just can't get from flying ARFs all day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.