Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:39 AM
rptasrs1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's official...I just read that Bob Brown and Dave Mathewson will both resign from the AMA effective Jan 1...ding dong the witch is dead...good riddance!!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:21 AM
lonestoner

If Obama is running the show, don't worry about it .
Old 12-23-2015, 03:37 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
If I didn't know any better I'd say your auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and health insurance companies are acting as "gatekeepers". No difference. I feel a huge conspiracy theory is about to emerge. I see no reason why the FAA or state governments couldn't mandate liability insurance for model aviation.
Ok. I see your logic at least. Yes, you could think of them that way, but there's also choice of providers, as well as a "menu" of sorts as to levels of coverage. Sure, there's a minimum, but more than just one.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 AM
rcmiket

I'm always amazed at how much time and energy some folks can expend decrying their perceived value of an AMA membership. Heck, I've never thought twice about the cost of my AMA membership and I've never thought about not being a member. I count my blessing everyday.
I'll bet they wake up every morning and thank God for members like yourself. never questioning anything just happy for the privilege of being a member.

Mike
Old 12-23-2015, 04:23 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rptasrs1
It's official...I just read that Bob Brown and Dave Mathewson will both resign from the AMA effective Jan 1...ding dong the witch is dead...good riddance!!!!
A post like this , with no link to where you read it , will not be taken seriously . So , where , exactly , DID you read this ?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Ok. I see your logic at least. Yes, you could think of them that way, but there's also choice of providers, as well as a "menu" of sorts as to levels of coverage. Sure, there's a minimum, but more than just one.
The reason there's a choice of providers is because of the number of customers involved. You'd be lucky if there was even one provider if the entire customer base was < 200k. Menu choices? Again, it's all about scale and heck, even the AMA has two different offerings. Again, at $75/yr for a AMA membership I'm not sure what some people expect. Heck, was gas was at it's peak I've spent nearly that much a fill-up with only a 21 gallon tank.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:37 AM
franklin_m

I'm always amazed at how much time and energy some folks can expend decrying their perceived value of an AMA membership. Heck, I've never thought twice about the cost of my AMA membership and I've never thought about not being a member. I count my blessing everyday.
Combined cost, $200 annually, buys a lots of tangible equipment that is in my sUAS and flying.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'll bet they wake up every morning and thank God for members like yourself. never questioning anything just happy for the privilege of being a member.

Mike
Ah, the I'm the better member than you line of thought dragged back out. I guess being the kind of member that second guesses every step the AMA takes, never appreciating anything they have done, are doing, or will do is a much better approach. Yes we see all the great minds coming together to help the AMA here on RCU, freeing giving their commentary on Monday mornings...always noting what could have been done better, all the while refusing to do anything more than type some angry empty words in a thread, one excuse after another why they can't get more involved to effect change. Some do feel honor or even privilege being a member, it would seem it's a source of anger and regret for others. They won't quit though, it's more funner to be part of the crowd and continue to grouse about it.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:41 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Franklin, you should be flattered that so many members of this forum are writing a book about you..!!
I suppose it gives them a "creative outlet" that you just can't get from flying ARFs all day.
Thanks. If they want to keep throwing money at the AMA, that's fine. It's their choice. I haven't needed a club field in over two years to fly what I want to fly, have been covered first by my own homeowner's anyway, and can give or take the magazine, so I'd rather put the money into things I actually use: lipos, receivers, servos, kits, etc. I've committed to give AMA another year, 2016, then I'll make a decision as to whether I'm gone for good or not.

Given what I've seen in their 990 forms showing declining revenue (in constant 2013 dollars), it seems others are voting with their feet or aging out.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Sorry to disappoint, but by now you should realize I'm always one to question conventional wisdom.

I did receive a Warm Wishes/Happy Holidays postcard from my friends at the AMA foundation. I guess they appreciate some members.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Franklin, you should be flattered that so many members of this forum are writing a book about you..!!
I suppose it gives them a "creative outlet" that you just can't get from flying ARFs all day.
I heard you are going to write the forward for the book. Congratulations on being selected.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:48 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ah, the I'm the better member than you line of thought dragged back out. I guess being the kind of member that second guesses every step the AMA takes, never appreciating anything they have done, are doing, or will do is a much better approach. Yes we see all the great minds coming together to help the AMA here on RCU, freeing giving their commentary on Monday mornings...always noting what could have been done better, all the while refusing to do anything more than type some angry empty words in a thread, one excuse after another why they can't get more involved to effect change. Some do feel honor or even privilege being a member, it would seem it's a source of anger and regret for others. They won't quit though, it's more funner to be part of the crowd and continue to grouse about it.
Sorry to disappoint, but by now you should realize I'm always one to question conventional wisdom.

I did receive a Warm Wishes/Happy Holidays postcard from my friends at the AMA foundation. I guess they appreciate some members.
You guys are special and loved by all.. Being involved and asking questions is not being a bad member,
Thanks for the concern.

Mike
Old 12-23-2015, 04:49 AM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks. If they want to keep throwing money at the AMA, that's fine. It's their choice. I haven't needed a club field in over two years to fly what I want to fly, have been covered first by my own homeowner's anyway, and can give or take the magazine, so I'd rather put the money into things I actually use: lipos, receivers, servos, kits, etc. I've committed to give AMA another year, 2016, then I'll make a decision as to whether I'm gone for good or not.

Given what I've seen in their 990 forms showing declining revenue (in constant 2013 dollars), it seems others are voting with their feet or aging out.
Not hard to believe that....attend a club meeting at your average field. Despite the fact that many of the older members are great sources of information and are often times the roots and foundations of the club, so many are like folks we see here. Bitter and angry that the hobby isn't exclusively theirs anymore, so angst filled that others are coming in to enjoy the hobby in their own ways. They deem them second class modelers and pretty much treat them that way too. We all know them if we belong to a club. Oddly enough they are usually the ones pining away for the past, sitting a bench telling stories, complaining about foamies, and not even flying. What a great day at the field. The good news of course is that at least they are our of basement and getting some fresh air.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

You guys are special and loved by all.. Being involved and asking questions is not being a bad member,
Thanks for the concern.

Mike
I needed that affirmation this morning, phew! Being "involved"...now that's a good one. Affirmation and a chuckle, a twofer deal, thanks!
Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You guys are special and loved by all..

Mike
Thanks for the kind words, it really means a lot. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

I did too...saw the plane on the card and my honest to god first thought was, I wonder who will complain about that picture and say the AMA is in with that manufacturer! Guess not to many of the "traditional modelers" group are donors? Perhaps their gifts are reserved for the threads here. Sharing is caring!
Old 12-23-2015, 04:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

At a club I used to fly at the older gentlemen had a day of their own. They had beautiful models and most of them flew. But for many of them you saw why they don't fly them on weekends. Now that that club is mostly electric you don't see them much anymore.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:06 AM
rcmiket

Thanks for the kind words, it really means a lot. Happy Holidays!
Same to you.

Mike
Old 12-23-2015, 05:07 AM
franklin_m

The reason there's a choice of providers is because of the number of customers involved. You'd be lucky if there was even one provider if the entire customer base was < 200k. Menu choices? Again, it's all about scale and heck, even the AMA has two different offerings. Again, at $75/yr for a AMA membership I'm not sure what some people expect. Heck, was gas was at it's peak I've spent nearly that much a fill-up with only a 21 gallon tank.
Even $75 buys a couple good sized batteries for a 500 size helo, perhaps a telemetry unit, a receiver, etc. I can use those. If you want to continue giving money to AMA for what you get, knock yourself out. But just as you make a choice to do that, others can make a choice that the money is better used elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:08 AM
rcmiket

I needed that affirmation this morning, phew! Being "involved"...now that's a good one. Affirmation and a chuckle, a twofer deal, thanks!
Hummm from the same guy that complemented me awhile back on my involvement.

Mike
Old 12-23-2015, 05:08 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rptasrs1
Where did you see this?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
At a club I used to fly at the older gentlemen had a day of their own. They had beautiful models and most of them flew. But for many of them you saw why they don't fly them on weekends. Now that that club is mostly electric you don't see them much anymore.
That's a shame, it's great to see all kinds of folks and their machines at the field.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

Hummm from the same guy that complemented me awhile back on my involvement.

Mike
It's not always just about you....
Old 12-23-2015, 05:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Where did you see this?
He "read" it, somewhere. To busy cross posting it to provide a source to it. I wonder if he's actually thinking two changes to the leadership is going to suddenly bring about some massive shift? I hope not, will be ever be disappointed!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:24 AM
rcmiket

It's not always just about you....
" Being "involved"...now that's a good one. Affirmation and a chuckle,"

Your post was directed at me was it not?

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.