Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jatoRC
I still have my first plane, it has never been crashed.
My first Plane was a Profile C/L P-51 with a MaCoy .29 . But My First R/C was a trainer 60 with a K&B 61. If I could get it started great but out of the first 19 takeoffs it had 19 Dead sticks. Replaced the K&B wits an ASP 61 and flew that motor till it got so worn out it spit more fuel than it burned. The Trainer wayed an extra 4 Lbs. with all the Epoxy.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:10 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have my first plane, it has never been crashed.
Your in a very exclusive club. Not many survive those post training days when you start trying new maneuvers..Normally the "Figure 9" get most.

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 04:22 AM
jatoRC

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Jato, it never fails.
I could make a generalized, blanket statement like "Each generation of Man gets progressively less active and more obese" and someone like you will chime in and say..."NOT TRUE..I run 50 miles a week and I have 2% body fat..!"

See how that works...?
Sorry not the same. Your example is not applicable as it was a statement. Cessnafler's ask a specific question. I answered his question. Someone else's answer may be different. See how that works?

BTW, I do have about 2% body fat, but not because I run 50 miles a week. If I had to go that far I would drive. I only run to the bathroom!

Last edited by jatoRC; 12-02-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:33 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Your in a very exclusive club. Not many survive those post training days when you start trying new maneuvers..Normally the "Figure 9" get most.

Mike
Even Better/worse is a figure six first ...
Old 12-02-2015, 05:59 AM
jatoRC

Mike
I don't claim to be a great pilot I am mediocre at best and my first plane was an electric trainer that is almost impossible to crash.

Mike just because the following rant is attached to a reponse to your post please don't feel it is directed at you.

The problem I see in this forum is the passion about this anti drone thing leads to some folks to making comments that paint people with a broad brush.

As far as drones...I own one. It's fun to fly. I also own helis, planes and RC cars and trucks. They are also fun to fly, except the cars and trucks My local field does not embrace drones, so don't want to be a part of it. It's an RC flying field so my feeling is the club should embrace things that are RC controlled and fly, especially since the field, is a country owned park.

I am an AMA member, but I am not an old time RC modeler. I joined the AMA when I got my drone (a gift from my wife) so I could learn about RC things that fly.

After I recieved my first few AMA magazines I was disappointed in what I felt was their biais toward airplanes and their lack of coverage of helicopters.and drones. I was actually bumed that even bothered to join as I didn't want to just read about airplanes. Yes I own planes but that is not all I am interested in.

Some people feel the AMA should not embrace drones, a drone is what got me into RC aircraft and why I joined the AMA. My drone has my AMA number on the side just like my airplanes and helis do.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics. That covers model aircraft that are non-human carrying. Is a drone not an model aircraft? What if it had wings and not rotors, doesn't that make it acceptable?

This months issue of the AMA Model Aviation magazine has a article called "Making The IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE The dream of flying unconventional aircraft". I don't see anyone complaining about the AMA having an article about a flying doghouse, a giant eyeball, R2-D2 or the Tardis, but people will complain if there is a article about a drone.

I am not deeply for or againt the AMA. When i think the AMA does not provide a worthwhile benefit to me I won't renew. What I don't understand is the people who are complianing so vehemently about the AMA is why renew if you are not a lifetime member? If you are lifetime member that's the chance you took, things change.

The statement on the AMA magazine under the Model Aviation name is "Bringing Modelers Together". I guess some would prefer that 'except modelers who fly drones" be added to that.

Oh don't have a problem registering my helis, airplanes, or drone. I would also like an "N" number.

Last edited by jatoRC; 12-02-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:06 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jatorc
i don't claim to be a great pilot i am mediocre at best and my first plane was an electric trainer that is almost impossible to crash.

The problem i see in this forum is the passion about this anti drone thing leads to some folks to making comments that paint people with a broad brush.

As far as drones...i own one. It's fun to fly. I also own helis, planes and rc cars and trucks. They are also fun to fly, except the cars and trucks my local field does not embrace drones, so don't want to be a part of it. It's an rc flying field so my feeling is the club should embrace things that are rc controlled and fly, especially since the field, is a country owned park.

I am an ama member, but i am not an old time rc modeler. I joined the ama when i got my drone (a gift from my wife) so i could learn about rc things that fly.

After i recieved my first few ama magazines i was disappointed in what i felt was their biais toward airplanes and their lack of coverage of helicopters.and drones. I was actually bumed that even bothered to join as i didn't want to just read about airplanes. Yes i own planes but that is not all i am interested in.

Some people feel the ama should not embrace drones, a drone is what got me into rc aircraft and why i joined the ama. My drone has my ama number on the side just like my airplanes and helis do.

The academy of model aeronautics. That covers model aircraft that are non-human carrying. Is a drone not an model aircraft? What if it had wings and not rotors, doesn't that make it acceptable?

This months issue of the ama model aviation magazine has a article called "making the impossible possible the dream of flying unconventional aircraft". I don't see anyone complaining about the ama having an article about a flying doghouse, a giant eyeball, r2-d2 or the tardis, but people will complain if there is a article about a drone.

I am not deeply for or againt the ama. When i think the ama does not provide a worthwhile benefit to me i won't renew. What i don't understand is the people who are complianing so vehemently about the ama is why renew if you are not a lifetime member? If you are lifetime member that's the chance you took, things change.

The statement on the ama magazine under the model aviation name is "bringing modelers together". I guess some would prefer that 'except modelers who fly drones" be added to that.

Oh don't have a problem registering my helis, airplanes, or drone.
well said, bravo
Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 AM
rcmiket

I don't claim to be a great pilot I am mediocre at best and my first plane was an electric trainer that is almost impossible to crash.

Mike just because the following rant is attached to a reponse to your post please don't feel it is directed at you.

The problem I see in this forum is the passion about this anti drone thing leads to some folks to making comments that paint people with a broad brush.

As far as drones...I own one. It's fun to fly. I also own helis, planes and RC cars and trucks. They are also fun to fly, except the cars and trucks My local field does not embrace drones, so don't want to be a part of it. It's an RC flying field so my feeling is the club should embrace things that are RC controlled and fly, especially since the field, is a country owned park.

I am an AMA member, but I am not an old time RC modeler. I joined the AMA when I got my drone (a gift from my wife) so I could learn about RC things that fly.

After I recieved my first few AMA magazines I was disappointed in what I felt was their biais toward airplanes and their lack of coverage of helicopters.and drones. I was actually bumed that even bothered to join as I didn't want to just read about airplanes. Yes I own planes but that is not all I am interested in.

Some people feel the AMA should not embrace drones, a drone is what got me into RC aircraft and why I joined the AMA. My drone has my AMA number on the side just like my airplanes and helis do.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics. That covers model aircraft that are non-human carrying. Is a drone not an model aircraft? What if it had wings and not rotors, doesn't that make it acceptable?

This months issue of the AMA Model Aviation magazine has a article called "Making The IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE The dream of flying unconventional aircraft". I don't see anyone complaining about the AMA having an article about a flying doghouse, a giant eyeball, R2-D2 or the Tardis, but people will complain if there is a article about a drone.

I am not deeply for or againt the AMA. When i think the AMA does not provide a worthwhile benefit to me I won't renew. What I don't understand is the people who are complianing so vehemently about the AMA is why renew if you are not a lifetime member? If you are lifetime member that's the chance you took, things change.

The statement on the AMA magazine under the Model Aviation name is "Bringing Modelers Together". I guess some would prefer that 'except modelers who fly drones" be added to that.

Oh don't have a problem registering my helis, airplanes, or drone.
No offense taken. One thought though. You ask why people renew if unhappy with the direction of the organization. It's very simple flying sites require a AMA membership and if they want to fly they must be a AMA member. That's the bottom line. My homeowners is my insurance the AMA is secondary nothing more but I am a member.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-02-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 AM
HoundDog

No offense taken. One thought though. You ask why people renew if unhappy with the direction of the organization. It's very simple flying sites require a AMA membership that's the bottom line. My homeowners is my insurance the AMA is secondary nothing more.

Mike
NOT FOR DRONES. And there in lies the Problem they don't need NO Stink'n AMA or O'l Farts tell'n them what, When Where and How they can fly their Toy Drone. Knowing the attitude of most here. I don't blame them in the least. But if the rank and file of the AMA don't embrace them and educate them ... It is going to be to our detriment in the long run.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:30 AM
jatoRC

No offense taken. One thought though. You ask why people renew if unhappy with the direction of the organization. It's very simple flying sites require a AMA membership and if they want to fly they must be a AMA member. That's the bottom line. My homeowners is my insurance the AMA is secondary nothing more but I am a member.

Mike
Good point and point taken. I guess I can look at it as just a license to fly at a club field. When I used to race motorcyclea I had a be a member of the AMA (the other one) or WERA, to race at the track. There were some things the sanctioning bodies did that I didn't agree with but I didn't spend all my time complaining as I just wanted to race. That's what was important to me, being able to race.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:53 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You are very well focused on your personal wants and desires but not much beyond that.

Many of us who are labeled "Anti Drone" have nothing against these machines in the technical sense but we are able to see far enough ahead to realize that being associated with drones in any way will drag us into Federal regulation.

Since you are a short time AMA member and have not spent much of your life being able to enjoy this sport unencumbered by Federal oversight I do not expect you to understand.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-02-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received an email from the AMA with an Info Video attached. Perhaps I heard it wrong but the new proposition is NOT to have the models registered ! They now want the " Pilots " registered. Each pilot will receive a number and must be displayed on the model.

Are all of you ready for that one ? Personally to me it seems like the government already has enough information about me. Perhaps they could use my Social Security number ? Perhaps they could use my United States Air Force serial number ? Perhaps they could use my Airline Transport Certificate number ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait, those numbers are already taken. Now they want to issue me another number. Wonderful !!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 AM
jatoRC

Deleted

Last edited by jatoRC; 12-02-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:00 AM
jatoRC

Combatpigg It does not matter how much time I have spent in this hobby I understand prejudice.

A drone is a RC aircraft, like it or not and it should not be subjected to any regulation that any other RC aircraft isn't.

I could also say you are very well focused on your personal wants and desires but not much beyong that. See how that works..?

Combatpigg said You are very well focused on your personal wants and desires but not much beyond that.

Many of us who are labeled "Anti Drone" have nothing against these machines in the technical sense but we are able to see far enough ahead to realize that being associated with drones in any way will drag us into Federal regulation.

Since you are a short time AMA member and have not spent much of your life being able to enjoy this sport unencumbered by Federal oversight I do not expect you to understand."
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM
combatpigg

Combatpigg It does not matter how much time I have spent in this hobby I understand prejudice.

A drone is a RC aircraft, like it or not and it should not be subjected to any regulation that any other RC aircraft isn't.

I could also say you are very well focused on your personal wants and desires but not much beyong that. See how that works..?
Wrong.
I WANT to be able to fly open exhaust planes at 150 mph wherever I please, but I realize that there are POSSIBLE negative consequences if I don't exercise some discretion, some self control and the ability to see future bad relations with the public.

see how that works...?

Just curious and I am looking for a YES or NO answer from you.
When a drone is flown beyond LOS over populated areas, over traffic, etc....do you think that the operator is putting the safety of the unsuspecting public at risk...?

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Wrong.
I WANT to be able to fly open exhaust planes at 150 mph wherever I please, but I realize that there are POSSIBLE negative consequences if I don't exercise some discretion, some self control and the ability to see future bad relations with the public.

see how that works...?
How is that different if I want to fly a so called drone, but I understand the negative consequence?
Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
How is that different if I want to fly a so called drone, but I understand the negative consequence?
This question of yours makes much less sense than the recent poll question you take issue with.
I don't know how to answer this.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

This question of yours makes much less sense than the recent poll question you take issue with.
I don't know how to answer this.
It is obvious you do not understand it. You need to take your blinders off.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Lamoilleriver

If drone operators kept their "aircraft" out of restricted airspace there wouldn't be a problem. PERIOD If I owned a drone, you would not find me flying it in restricted airspace, over a crowd of people, over my neighbors house or property, etc., not sure why so many drone operators think they can fly their drones where ever they dang well please. Never tolerated people flying fixed wing aircraft over my head, have no intention tolerating folks who fly drones over my head. There is a large group of us ol' Farts who enjoy a good dose of glow fuel in an open wound first thing in the morning and be able to remain unregulated while enjoying our hobby, doing it safely, like we have done for decades. Go after the offender, throw out the bad apple, not the whole barrel. registration will not increase safety, it's only being proposed because some one thinks they have to do something, even if it's useless. If drone operators are not accepted at a particular club, go form your own drone club, been a member of many clubs, moved to many new fields as old ones were developed, etc., we built the club, we set the rules, you don't like it, tough.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:17 AM
combatpigg

It is obvious you do not understand it. You need to take your blinders off.
Jato accused me of being focused on MY wants and I gave him a Sterling Example of one of my greatest hobby related WANTS that I have enough discipline to realize would be possibly damaging to the rest of the flyers in this area.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Jato accused me of being focused on MY wants and I gave him a Sterling Example of one of my greatest hobby related WANTS that I have enough discipline to realize would be possibly damaging to the rest of the flyers in this area.
How does that differ from the responsible drone flyers out there?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 AM
jatoRC

Wrong.

see how that works...?

When a drone is flown beyond LOS over populated areas, over traffic, etc....do you think that the operator is putting the safety of the unsuspecting public at risk...?
As I said before you anti-droners paint every drone owner with a broad brush. You act as if no fixed wing pilot has never broken a rule or flown it responsibly. If they do would you be OK with punishment or regulation for every fixed wing pilot? Because that what you are figure is good for drone owners.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 AM
combatpigg

As I said before you anti-droners paint every drone owner with a broad brush. You act as if no fixed wing pilot has never broken a rule or flown it responsibly. If they do would you be OK with punishment or regulation for every fixed wing pilot? Because that what you are figure is good for drone owners.
I'm still waiting for your simple Yes [Y] or No [N] answer.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
combatpigg

How does that differ from the responsible drone flyers out there?
We wouldn't have any issue if we lived in a perfect world that contained ONLY responsible drone flyers. But we both know that such a world does not exist.
The irresponsible Traditional RC flyers through the years simply haven't generated enough negative attention from the public or the feds to have caused this much of a problem.
In the Real World, not many owners of sophisticated Drones [that are capable of making a cash withdrawl at a ATM machine] will be content to fly within the safe confines of your typical AMA club field.
You don't need to be very "gifted" to be able to see that.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Just received an email from the AMA with an Info Video attached. Perhaps I heard it wrong but the new proposition is NOT to have the models registered ! They now want the " Pilots " registered. Each pilot will receive a number and must be displayed on the model.

Are all of you ready for that one ? Personally to me it seems like the government already has enough information about me. Perhaps they could use my Social Security number ? Perhaps they could use my United States Air Force serial number ? Perhaps they could use my Airline Transport Certificate number ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait, those numbers are already taken. Now they want to issue me another number. Wonderful !!!!
If U don't get your registration number and display it on your air plane than U may receive an Inmate )Convict) Prison Number. Then Big Bubba will know all about too.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM
HoundDog

Wrong.

see how that works...?

NOPE, Not as much A the TRADITIONAL pilot flying a conventional fixed wing toy airplane that looses it and crashes on a road a half mile or more away from the field. At least the FPV guy is flying something much less lethal than 6 to 30Lb. or more Missile that's completely out of control. It happens fare more than an errant FPV fomie or toy Quad.
If The Traditional 7 Lb. FIXed Wing that crashed on the road a half mile away 3 days ago would have gone another 165' it would have hit right in the middle of a some Unsuspecting guys house.
FPV with small Quads or Fomies is less dangerous when flown properly than some Nit Wit that can't keep a TRADITIONAL Toy Airplane in the air. And Don't tell me U don't know anyone like that because every club has at least one if not a few people that really should be playing with R/C Sail Boats at best or only the use of a Flight Simulator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.