Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
NOPE, Not as much A the TRADITIONAL pilot flying a conventional fixed wing toy airplane that looses it and crashes on a road a half mile or more away from the field. At least the FPV guy is flying something much less lethal than 6 to 30Lb. or more Missile that's completely out of control. It happens fare more than an errant FPV fomie or toy Quad.
If The Traditional 7 Lb. FIXed Wing that crashed on the road a half mile away 3 days ago would have gone another 165' it would have hit right in the middle of a some Unsuspecting guys house.
FPV with small Quads or Fomies is less dangerous when flown properly than some Nit Wit that can't keep a TRADITIONAL Toy Airplane in the air. And Don't tell me U don't know anyone like that because every club has at least one if not a few people that really should be playing with R/C Sail Boats at best or only the use of a Flight Simulator.
Hound Dog,Over a 30 year span I've belonged to a few 100 member club fields with 10 to 20 acres worth of land and can count on one hand how many times I've ever heard or seen planes crash onto a road or into the nearby populated areas.
99.99% of the time the controls lock up and the plane goes right in before the pilot has time to wipe his nose.

If you have seen more planes crashing out of bounds, I suspect you have more plane operators flying their planes near [or beyond] the boundaries of your field.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-02-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
We wouldn't have any issue if we lived in a perfect world that contained ONLY responsible drone flyers. But we both know that such a world does not exist.
The irresponsible Traditional RC flyers through the years simply haven't generated enough negative attention from the public or the feds to have caused this much of a problem.
In the Real World, not many owners of sophisticated Drones [that are capable of making a cash withdrawl at a ATM machine] will be content to fly within the safe confines of your typical AMA club field.
You don't need to be very "gifted" to be able to see that.
Well then U Me and everyone else better start some form of education because the DRONES are here and Million more are coming in less than a month. In my opinion the only feasible answer is get out and educate everyone that manufactures distributes whole sales or sells Any thing that flies to EDUCATE the public and the owner/flyers or we are going to be shot down with the hord. Take it for what it is. Get your head out of the sand and stop complaining about something that can't be changed. There are too many DRONES already out there and a Million more coming shortly.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM
jatoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still waiting for your simple Yes [Y] or No [N] answer.
Hope you can hold your breath for a long time. I am not going to play your stupid game, your question to me is nonsensical given my stated opinion on drones vs RC aircraft and you trying to paint all drones with the same brush.

See how it works..?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Sport_Pilot

We wouldn't have any issue if we lived in a perfect world that contained ONLY responsible drone flyers. But we both know that such a world does not exist.
The irresponsible Traditional RC flyers through the years simply haven't generated enough negative attention from the public or the feds to have caused this much of a problem.
In the Real World, not many owners of sophisticated Drones [that are capable of making a cash withdrawl at a ATM machine] will be content to fly within the safe confines of your typical AMA club field.
You don't need to be very "gifted" to be able to see that.
Have you read the FAA reports? Most of them were bogus, reported by controllers who had an agenda. The number of irresponsible drone operators are very small and even then not as large a danger to full scale aircraft as the FAA and others make out. So if its ok to regulate them then the FAA will figure out a way to regulate us!
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by jatoRC
Hope you can hold your breath for a long time. I am not going to play your stupid game, your question to me is nonsensical given my stated opinion on drones vs RC aircraft and you trying to paint all drones with the same brush.

See how it works..?
If you don't have enough integrity to answer the question, I see how that works.
The longer I keep dialogues like this open with folks like you, the more I can reveal the true nature of those people with your decision making skills.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Have you read the FAA reports? Most of them were bogus, reported by controllers who had an agenda. The number of irresponsible drone operators are very small and even then not as large a danger to full scale aircraft as the FAA and others make out. So if its ok to regulate them then the FAA will figure out a way to regulate us!
I don't know if most were bogus, but I'll take your word for that.
It doesn't change the fact that there have been enough LEGITIMATE and VERIFIABLE SNAFUS to have caused us the very predictable and avoidable problem we now face.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:59 PM
HoundDog

Hound Dog,Over a 30 year span I've belonged to a few 100 member club fields with 10 to 20 acres worth of land and can count on one hand how many times I've ever heard or seen planes crash onto a road or into the nearby populated areas.
99.99% of the time the controls lock up and the plane goes right in before the pilot has time to wipe his nose.

If you have seen more planes crashing out of bounds, I suspect you have more plane operators flying their planes near [or beyond] the boundaries of your field.
I saw 2 in Wisconsin this summer One over 4200' away in a guys back yard. 2 out here in the last 5 weeks. 3 years ago We had one about a half mile beyond the road that is 2550' from the center of our field. Nothing but desert and a horse rider found it. OH Ya another guy lost a electric sail plane over 3/4 of a mile to the NNW. Happens a lot more than U would expect. The difference traditional Toy airplanes are flown where there is little chance for them to do damage. Again it too late to fight it we better EDUCATE the DRONERS or Die a slow death with them. Don't forget they haven't been in it very long and they will just wright it off to an expensive bad experience and move on. What U gona do with a Dozen or more expensive TRADITIONAL Toys U can't even sell? Again it would BEHOVE us all to Work at Education of the DRONERS instead of trying to separate them from us, because that Ship has sailed for a long time now.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Now this is hear say but several of our AMA members with airline and commercial experience were told by an FAA FSDO person that if U see anything report it as a near miss, no mater what.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:27 PM
HoundDog

Amazon Unveils New, Larger Delivery Drone
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Amazon took advantage of Cyber Monday to announce the latest details about its planned drone delivery system, releasing two new videos and a Q&A that aims to convince consumers that the concept is not "science fiction." One day, says Amazon, "seeing Prime Air vehicles will be as normal as seeing mail trucks on the road." The video shows a larger Amazon drone than what has been seen in earlier updates, a hybrid that can take off and land vertically and then convert to horizontal flight. Read More
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 12-02-2015, 01:30 PM
rcmiket

Amazon Unveils New, Larger Delivery Drone
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Amazon took advantage of Cyber Monday to announce the latest details about its planned drone delivery system, releasing two new videos and a Q&A that aims to convince consumers that the concept is not "science fiction." One day, says Amazon, "seeing Prime Air vehicles will be as normal as seeing mail trucks on the road." The video shows a larger Amazon drone than what has been seen in earlier updates, a hybrid that can take off and land vertically and then convert to horizontal flight. Read More[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
I saw that too. All I can say is Oh Boy............................................... ..........

Mike
Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

Now this is hear say but several of our AMA members with airline and commercial experience were told by an FAA FSDO person that if U see anything report it as a near miss, no mater what.
Yep, AMA found a lot of the reports were of legal flying from an AMA clubs not far from the airports. Also many reports from the same airports none or little from others. Depends on the attitude of the Chief Controller I guess.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I don't claim to be a great pilot I am mediocre at best and my first plane was an electric trainer that is almost impossible to crash.

Mike just because the following rant is attached to a reponse to your post please don't feel it is directed at you.

The problem I see in this forum is the passion about this anti drone thing leads to some folks to making comments that paint people with a broad brush.

As far as drones...I own one. It's fun to fly. I also own helis, planes and RC cars and trucks. They are also fun to fly, except the cars and trucks My local field does not embrace drones, so don't want to be a part of it. It's an RC flying field so my feeling is the club should embrace things that are RC controlled and fly, especially since the field, is a country owned park.

I am an AMA member, but I am not an old time RC modeler. I joined the AMA when I got my drone (a gift from my wife) so I could learn about RC things that fly.

After I recieved my first few AMA magazines I was disappointed in what I felt was their biais toward airplanes and their lack of coverage of helicopters.and drones. I was actually bumed that even bothered to join as I didn't want to just read about airplanes. Yes I own planes but that is not all I am interested in.

Some people feel the AMA should not embrace drones, a drone is what got me into RC aircraft and why I joined the AMA. My drone has my AMA number on the side just like my airplanes and helis do.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics. That covers model aircraft that are non-human carrying. Is a drone not an model aircraft? What if it had wings and not rotors, doesn't that make it acceptable?

This months issue of the AMA Model Aviation magazine has a article called "Making The IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE The dream of flying unconventional aircraft". I don't see anyone complaining about the AMA having an article about a flying doghouse, a giant eyeball, R2-D2 or the Tardis, but people will complain if there is a article about a drone.

I am not deeply for or againt the AMA. When i think the AMA does not provide a worthwhile benefit to me I won't renew. What I don't understand is the people who are complianing so vehemently about the AMA is why renew if you are not a lifetime member? If you are lifetime member that's the chance you took, things change.

The statement on the AMA magazine under the Model Aviation name is "Bringing Modelers Together". I guess some would prefer that 'except modelers who fly drones" be added to that.

Oh don't have a problem registering my helis, airplanes, or drone. I would also like an "N" number.
Welcome to the AMA and the hobby. Great story, I'm sure there are more folks out there with situations just like you, I've met a few myself. You can make as much of the hobby as you want, or as little as you want, the same with your membership in the AMA. Overall, the goal is to fly and have fun.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

Yes they want those to fly just 200 feet over your house and blocking us out of the 200 foot to 400 foot altitude. Just outside shotgun range too. Well maybe not with a magnum full choke, basically a duck an goose gun.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM
combatpigg

I saw 2 in Wisconsin this summer One over 4200' away in a guys back yard. 2 out here in the last 5 weeks. 3 years ago We had one about a half mile beyond the road that is 2550' from the center of our field. Nothing but desert and a horse rider found it. OH Ya another guy lost a electric sail plane over 3/4 of a mile to the NNW. Happens a lot more than U would expect. The difference traditional Toy airplanes are flown where there is little chance for them to do damage. Again it too late to fight it we better EDUCATE the DRONERS or Die a slow death with them. Don't forget they haven't been in it very long and they will just wright it off to an expensive bad experience and move on. What U gona do with a Dozen or more expensive TRADITIONAL Toys U can't even sell? Again it would BEHOVE us all to Work at Education of the DRONERS instead of trying to separate them from us, because that Ship has sailed for a long time now.
I have just enough experience with Free Flight model trimming to know what the odds are of an unstable aerobatic design flying very far on it's own. The controls need to die EXACTLY in line with 0-0-0 flight or else consecutive loops that don't lose much altitude. It might be just as easy to win 2 games in a row playing BINGO, than it is to drift 4000 with a dead aerobatic design..
A trainer or glider design improves the odds of a flyaway, but the odds are still pretty slim.
When I was first learning to fly it was with a 6 foot span glider and out of boredom I did make a game to see how far away I could fly it and make it back home. This was in the days before I owned property or had much to lose. I didn't see the harm with what I was doing. One day while flying it behind the LHS a high wind caught it and I couldn't get it back. It drifted to the east until it fell below my LOS. All I could do was collapse the antenna and drive home. By the time I walked in the house, I had a telephone message from the home owner who found my glider, so I drove over to meet him. He ended up being someone I had worked next to at a construction project, so we recognized each other.
What happened is his wife was doing the dishes and while looking out her kitchen window she saw the glider fly through power lines, lose the rubberbanded wing and then the javelin style fuselage continued on towards her kitchen window. The pointed nose of the fuselage hit the wooden mullion [window divider] dead center..! They were renting the house and besides the dent in the window mullion there wasn't any damage to the house...so I was off the hook
Back then I was a young, overly enthusiastic and less careful guy than I am today. This was as close as I ever came to doing real harm and I learned my lesson that when you tempt fate often enough, the Law Of Averages will eventually catch up with you.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
jatoRC

If you don't have enough integrity to answer the question, I see how that works.
The longer I keep dialogues like this open with folks like you, the more I can reveal the true nature of those people with your decision making skills.
If you had phrased the question so it includes all RC aircraft I would have answered it. Since your question is directed at drone flyers only, again your agenda againist drones is obvious.

Looks to me like you are the one with no integrity and poor decision making skills.

See how that works...?
Old 12-02-2015, 03:57 PM
combatpigg

If you had phrased the question so it includes all RC aircraft I would have answered it. Since your question is directed at drone flyers only, again your agenda againist drones is obvious.

Looks to me like you are the one with no integrity and poor decision making skills.

See how that works...?
nope, not at all.
Traditional RC is not designed to be flown on purpose over populated areas, but drones ARE...so your attempt to slither out of answering my question FAILS.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Rob2160

I don't claim to be a great pilot I am mediocre at best and my first plane was an electric trainer that is almost impossible to crash.

Mike just because the following rant is attached to a reponse to your post please don't feel it is directed at you.

The problem I see in this forum is the passion about this anti drone thing leads to some folks to making comments that paint people with a broad brush.

As far as drones...I own one. It's fun to fly. I also own helis, planes and RC cars and trucks. They are also fun to fly, except the cars and trucks My local field does not embrace drones, so don't want to be a part of it. It's an RC flying field so my feeling is the club should embrace things that are RC controlled and fly, especially since the field, is a country owned park.

I am an AMA member, but I am not an old time RC modeler. I joined the AMA when I got my drone (a gift from my wife) so I could learn about RC things that fly.

After I recieved my first few AMA magazines I was disappointed in what I felt was their biais toward airplanes and their lack of coverage of helicopters.and drones. I was actually bumed that even bothered to join as I didn't want to just read about airplanes. Yes I own planes but that is not all I am interested in.

Some people feel the AMA should not embrace drones, a drone is what got me into RC aircraft and why I joined the AMA. My drone has my AMA number on the side just like my airplanes and helis do.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics. That covers model aircraft that are non-human carrying. Is a drone not an model aircraft? What if it had wings and not rotors, doesn't that make it acceptable?

This months issue of the AMA Model Aviation magazine has a article called "Making The IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE The dream of flying unconventional aircraft". I don't see anyone complaining about the AMA having an article about a flying doghouse, a giant eyeball, R2-D2 or the Tardis, but people will complain if there is a article about a drone.

I am not deeply for or againt the AMA. When i think the AMA does not provide a worthwhile benefit to me I won't renew. What I don't understand is the people who are complianing so vehemently about the AMA is why renew if you are not a lifetime member? If you are lifetime member that's the chance you took, things change.

The statement on the AMA magazine under the Model Aviation name is "Bringing Modelers Together". I guess some would prefer that 'except modelers who fly drones" be added to that.

Oh don't have a problem registering my helis, airplanes, or drone. I would also like an "N" number.
I want N numbers for my drones too and have a reserved a few good ones already for possible use on Commercial Drones in the future.

Just $10 to reserve one here.

http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/NN/reserve.aspx

Thanks for posting and sharing your perspective. I don't know if you visit other RC forums? The two main sites I use are RCUniverse and RCGroups.

I joined both in 2010 and found RCU was better to my liking because I was starting in RC Helicopters and found a friendly and helpful thread that is still active today.

Back then I rarely visited RCGroups but I remember the number of users online was always roughly equal for both sites.

At one point my post count on RCU was 3000+ but less than 10 on RCG.

About 2 years ago I decided to build a drone (a GPS equipped multicopter) - for no other reason than curiosity. (I already have dozens of planes and helicopters - so it would have been dumb to build another)

I did a lot of research and had a lot of questions but there were few answers and little interest on RCU for Drone builders. Google searches would find me the answers and most of these were in threads on RCGroups.

So I started to visit that site as it was clearly more Drone friendly. . I have seen others complain about this calling it a "Drone Site" and perhaps that is true. But that is perfect if your interest is drones.

They have detailed threads on very specific topics, e.g. dedicated threads to individual brands of ESC or motor types and flight controllers. You can find all the answers and then some.

I now have more posts on RCG because that is where my primary interest in this hobby currently lies.

Mentioning you fly drones on RCU often brings ridicule from some member which I see you have already experienced. That does not happen on RCG.

The numbers speak for themselves. in 2010 user numbers were equal on both sites. In 2015 RCG out numbers RCU by roughly 5 to 1 every day

e.g. Right now on RCG: 22,634 users. on RCU: 3631 users. That is a ratio of 6.2 to 1.

If RCG is a drone site, (and I believe it is) those numbers paint a very clear picture where this hobby is heading.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-02-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
HoundDog

See how that works...?
jatoRC:
We are wasting time, form space, and our breath U just kan't fix or reason with STuPID. When some people are so "PIG" headed it becomes a futile situation. Now that's not personal it's just a fact.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:42 PM
HoundDog

Look at this 19,336+ Posts since Nov 2003 and nothing of substance. Gota tell ya something ... Now I can expect some kind of stupid rebuttal so go for it. I'm going to TRY and Ignore such stupidity ...

Join DateNov 2003Locationarlington, WAPosts19,336GalleryMy GalleryModelsMy ModelsRatingsMy Feedback
Old 12-02-2015, 04:54 PM
combatpigg

Look at this 19,336+ Posts since Nov 2003 and nothing of substance. Gota tell ya something ... Now I can expect some kind of stupid rebuttal so go for it. I'm going to TRY and Ignore such stupidity ...

Join DateNov 2003Locationarlington, WAPosts19,336GalleryMy GalleryModelsMy ModelsRatingsMy Feedback
Is this a total meltdown...?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 PM
HoundDog

Guess so but Like the dumb blond said ...
"U Just can't get a Leopard to change it's stripes"
Old 12-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I can see that I'd be doing a lot of cleaning up in this thread if I was a moderator. ENOUGH WITH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S STARTING TO LOOK VERY CHILDISH TO THE REST OF US
Old 12-02-2015, 06:47 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

I think this entire thread has melted down in the last 10 pages!!!! lmao!!

You guys have fun with your bickering amongst yourselves. Everyone trying to one up the other to show how "smart" you are. Good luck with that!!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 PM
TN RC Flyer117

As I said before you anti-droners paint every drone owner with a broad brush. You act as if no fixed wing pilot has never broken a rule or flown it responsibly. If they do would you be OK with punishment or regulation for every fixed wing pilot? Because that what you are figure is good for drone owners.
I respectfully disagree with the "painting drone owners with a broad brush" statement. I do agree that there have been times pilots flying "conventional" RC aircraft that you have to keep in line of sight, etc. have done stupid things, BUT I would venture to say that if you looked at it from a percentage standpoint the vast majority of bad infractions with RC aircraft over past 5 years have been related to highly automated drone use by the type of people that are just going to best buy to purchase a drone to take pictures.... the kind of people that don't really love model airplanes in a hobby sense, but see drones are more of a gadget.

I will say that I know some people who fly quads and drones responsibly, and I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I am most bothered with the "picking up a drone as the next cool gadget" type that end up flying them over densely populated places where they have no business. That type of flying is what has brought on all of this regulation that will put restraints on the vast majority of us that have never caused any sort of problems and have always flown very responsibly and safely.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:23 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Muff3n
I respectfully disagree with the "painting drone owners with a broad brush" statement. I do agree that there have been times pilots flying "conventional" RC aircraft that you have to keep in line of sight, etc. have done stupid things, BUT I would venture to say that if you looked at it from a percentage standpoint the vast majority of bad infractions with RC aircraft over past 5 years have been related to highly automated drone use by the type of people that are just going to best buy to purchase a drone to take pictures.... the kind of people that don't really love model airplanes in a hobby sense, but see drones are more of a gadget.

Well the answer to that is to Ban all RC flying in populated areas or only on Registered Flying Fields. or in the case of Float Flying where it is deemed safe to do. That would surely solve the problem.

I will say that I know some people who fly quads and drones responsibly, and I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I am most bothered with the "picking up a drone as the next cool gadget" type that end up flying them over densely populated places where they have no business. That type of flying is what has brought on all of this regulation that will put restraints on the vast majority of us that have never caused any sort of problems and have always flown very responsibly and safely.
Post up in middle od statement by Muff3n;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.