Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handyman
I will do as i am told by the faa and the ama..it is the law and it will be enforced by the clubs...for any one to say they wont your kidding your self and you will lose..all ama clubs have to do it.,,,,,,,we we dont the next step is there will not be any flying......so just do it
Where did the FAA mention AMA Clubs enforcing the "law" or "having to do it"? As I see it it's the pilots responsibility. If your in compliance fine if your not that your problem not the clubs. As a club officer I'm not your mother.

Mike
Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Good point, just online.
I suspect BJ's isn't including a one year AMA membership.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:16 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarvinLoomis
Wonder it that contraption is registered??
Here is the background on this one. Keep in mind it's doubtful it will really work, but it lets people think the police and authorities are doing something about it. Sound familiar?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/tokyo-police-drones-catch-illegal-flying-devices-article-1.2464560

Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Where did the FAA mention AMA Clubs enforcing the "law" or "having to do it"? As I see it it's the pilots responsibility. If your in compliance fine if your not that your problem not the clubs. As a club officer I'm not your mother.

Mike
Yes, the AMA said that it will be up to the individual to be FAA compliant.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Where is the AMA making these comments, along with the other one you noted earlier? Did they issue a second press release? I don't see anything from them on that or the other issue.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 PM
fxvtol

FAA registration:

Since the AMA has raise their dues per year by $25-$75 per year, to protect us from unnecessary FAA regulations and they had failed at their task. I'm asking the AMA to lower next year the registration fee by $25 so go back to the old rate of $50 per year if they do not do this I would suggest that all AMA members drop their membership.

I think the AMA was right in trying to protect quad copters and bringing them into the fold. Since they are by definition remote control aircraft. But the popularity of their growth by not having to have a runway need it for takeoff and landing has led to their popularity. Unfortunately the more people that get involved in flying remote control aircraft leads to unfortunate incidents that's been in the news. Just like you remember in class where you have 30 students in class you can always count on at least 3 of them being goofballs and nut heads.

So we've been paying our AMA membership to provide us with the insurance coverage can anybody state for me where they paid out on claims were aircraft it hit people or cars or buildings etc.?

Don't worry about the government not having your address already do you think that government agencies can hack into the AMA computers, they all have your names and addresses. Just like we heard on the news that if you purchased anything any Target store the Chinese hackers have got that information also if you apply for any government jobs through the Office of Personnel Management the Chinese hackers or Russian hackers have got your information social security number already.

Hey I got a great idea instead of sending our $75 per year to the AMA let's send that money to the FAA for a special privilege class aircraft drone operator . This class would allow you to do two stupid things Per year and if you get caught it would merely be a little slap on the wrist and a verbal warning only .

Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

But does this mean CD's won't be able to ask for and require FAA registration? I'm betting FAA registration becomes part of the AMA safety code just as B4 exists on the Safety Code today:

4. RC model aircraft must use the radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Only individuals properlylicensed by the FCC are authorized to operate equipment on Amateur Band frequencies.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The new members that BestBuy is paying for are $50 not $75.
Thats what I mean but not all new DRONES are gone to come from Best buy maybe 3%, If not let;s Up the dues to 100 per year.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will we need ask the scouts who shoot off rockets at our field to have their registration numbers on every rocket? And make sure they don't go over 400 ft.? Only A size motors?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
But does this mean CD's won't be able to ask for and require FAA registration? I'm betting FAA registration becomes part of the AMA safety code just as B4 exists on the Safety Code today:

4. RC model aircraft must use the radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Only individuals properlylicensed by the FCC are authorized to operate equipment on Amateur Band frequencies.
I suppose CDs can ask anything they want, I really don't know. It is in the AMA's narrow interests to help enforce compliance with FCC rules and regulations.

Are they going to promulgate rules and regulations that are not in the AMA's interests? Rules they might actually sue the FAA to change? At least today the answer is no for CDs at events.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Will we need ask the scouts who shoot off rockets at our field to have their registration numbers on every rocket? And make sure they don't go over 400 ft.? Only A size motors?
are they remote controlled?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 PM
mr_matt

If I am not mistaken the rocket guys cut their own deal years ago with the FAA. RC included!

https://youtu.be/C9ucN3r03u8

And with cameras!

https://youtu.be/YWevA2c9nFI
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 PM
thepamster

If you are flying at your clubs field which is an AMA Chartered club you will likely have to show proof of registration along with your renewed AMA.

Just because I am ready to register my aircraft doesn't mean this fight is over. I will continue to argue for the separation of drones and model aircraft, because it is what I believe. Dammitt.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Flight Risk

Originally Posted by mongo
are they remote controlled?
I guess that lets most rockets off the hook.

But it seems control line aircraft need to register since the lines act as a communication link and tethered drones are also required to register.

And it's good to know that non-citizens are free to fly without registration.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:24 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

The fact is you are registering yourself, so this will be as useful in reality as guns laws when criminals can still get them. go to a hobby store buy a drone or model and there you go...or better sell a plane and forget your number is in it. This is stupid.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Mike
I'm sure black SUVs with government plates will be showing up at flying fields to do enforcement.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:35 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I'm sure black SUVs with government plates will be showing up at flying fields to do enforcement.
Yep. I had a blacked out Balckhawk hovering over my house last night as I was unloading a couple of air frames. I don't see anyone messing with anybody as long as your playing nice. The FAA wants to play R/C let them I really don't care.The AMA is now just a insurance company with a magazine and your dues are now ( as they have always been) a premium. As far as local clubs enforcing this registration is up to the individual and I guess if a club chooses to do inspections ( with the clubs members approval) than so be it.
Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 04:37 AM
rcmiket

And it's good to know that non-citizens are free to fly without registration.

Guess we all could renounce our citizenship....................................... .

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 04:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
While I'll never know for sure, the language AMA got into 336 certainly set them up to be in a good position to monopolize operations. I also agree that not just Congress saw this, but more importantly the FAA did. I don't think it's accidental that the FAA has not recognized the AMA as a CBO. Suing the FAA only made FAA dig in its heels even more.

What will be interesting is if the tens of thousands of MR fliers don't come running to the AMA for membership. Looking at their tax free tax filings, the incoming revenue has been declining since 2007. My requests to AMA for demographics data (just number of members in each membership category over last five years) was met with "that's proprietary" and not shared with members. I submit that if things are going so well, then why not share demographic data. Put it all together, and add the resounding defeat in the rule announced today, and in my opinion the AMA is at a crossroads.

It will be interesting to see if they rethink their strategy.
The FAA does not formally recognize CBO's, here is a short list of CBO's they don not recognize as CBO's..

AOPA
EAA
US Hang Gliding and Paragliding Organization
US Ultra Light Organization

And many SIG's dedicated to particular aircraft and activities are CBO's. This is a legal term and only that, there is no procedure for recognizing a CBO.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 12-15-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yep. I had a blacked out Balckhawk hovering over my house last night as I was unloading a couple of air frames. I don't see anyone messing with anybody as long as your playing nice. The FAA wants to play R/C let them I really don't care.

The AMA is now just a insurance company with a magazine and your dues are now ( as they have always been) a premium.

So if the AMA is just an insurance company why not buy your insurance somewhere else? Why not call Geico? Perhaps they can solve all your insurance needs in 15 minutes or less.

As far as local clubs enforcing this registration is up to the individual and I guess if a club chooses to do inspections ( with the clubs members approval) than so be it.

No reason the membership would need to approve it.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Guess we all could renounce our citizenship....................................... .

Mike
Go for it!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Flight Risk

You would think that AMA could automatically enroll all members with the FAA and provide you with your personal registration number. With so many people questioning the need for AMA, this could be a little extra perk they could provide.
And you would think that people who register with the FAA and who are not enrolled with AMA would have an asterisk with their name indicating they may be unfamiliar with rules of our airspace.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

You would think that AMA could automatically enroll all members with the FAA and provide you with your personal registration number. With so many people questioning the need for AMA, this could be a little extra perk they could provide.
And you would think that people who register with the FAA and who are not enrolled with AMA would have an asterisk with their name indicating they may be unfamiliar with rules of our airspace.
Did you read the AMA press release? They are trying to work with the FAA on the registration process and use our current AMA numbers rather than new ones. I think they want the easiest process for everyone, but this is a Govt agency we're dealing with here.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:46 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
.So if the AMA is just an insurance company why not buy your insurance somewhere else? Why not call Geico? Perhaps they can solve all your insurance needs in 15 minutes or less.

Might just happen, who knows.

"No reason the membership would need to approve it. "

I guess in your world mine would be let the members decide.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 05:50 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can just see it now! Go to an AMA fly-in, the CD says, "Do you have your FAA registration number in your plane?"
pilot replies, "YEP, it's in there, put it there myself, with my sharpie!"

LOLOLOL

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.