Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Q: I am already registered through the AMA, why do I have to register twice?
A: We understand the concern of our members and, while the FAA is open to streamlining the registration for our members, unfortunately the technical issues involved will not be resolved before February 19. Therefore, it will be necessary for current AMA members to register separately with the FAA. For future AMA members, we are working on an agreement with the FAA where new members will be able to opt-in to federal registration via AMA when they join the organization, thereby creating one simple registration

Seems like you are once again misleading and reading only the part you want to interpret.
No all I have to do is not be a member for a year and then join requiesting a new AMA number.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by jelge
I disagree, I am seeing more light sport and ultralight aircraft along with powered parachutes than ever before. Light sport should be flying at 500 feet or above as should the bulk of general aviation (including helicopters) but ultralights and powered parachutes seem to rarely fly that high. There seems also to have been an increase in pipeline patrols and they neither fly that high nor seem to watch where they are going.

I don't think even a 55 pound model is going to do much damage to a powered parachute. The prop is in a guard, and the chute and cords will flex with the impact. It would have to make a direct hit on the pilot.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:36 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't think even a 55 pound model is going to do much damage to a powered parachute. The prop is in a guard, and the chute and cords will flex with the impact. It would have to make a direct hit on the pilot.
Seriously.....first firing in the air won't hurt anyone, then drones/lipos going into a jet engine wouldn't do much damage....do you really believe any of those things? You can't possibly think that a 55 pound airplane hurtling through the air wouldn't do much damage to a powered 'chute. Or perhaps you mean ithere wouldn't me much energy (or mass) left after said 55 pound plane struck and killed the pilot first?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

I am serious, but only to the point hat everybody is making too much of it. Even it it did much damage the FAA won't care. The UL people say they dont' much care for the FAA and the FAA doesn't care for them. They like it that way.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No all I have to do is not be a member for a year and then join requesting a new AMA number.

You can request a new number at any time. I was out of AMA for awhile while stationed overseas and when I came back they gave me a new #. I simply e-mailed my old # and asked that it be reinstated. Took 1 day to get the confirmation via e-mail.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

You can request a new number at any time. I was out of AMA for awhile while stationed overseas and when I came back they gave me a new #. I simply e-mailed my old # and asked that it be reinstated. Took 1 day to get the confirmation via e-mail.
I did not know that. I wonder if that will work so if I have an unregistered number then I would then receive a registered AMA number. They said that new members would automatically get registered numbers. Not old members getting new numbers.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Idunno. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is 400 feet, Hunt bridge Dallas

The apex of this bridge in Dallas is exactly 400 ft. So 400 isn't that high or low, should be high enough for most flyers
Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400 feet is nothing to an rc sailplane flyer!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
The apex of this bridge in Dallas is exactly 400 ft. So 400 isn't that high or low, should be high enough for most flyers
The obstruction light at the top is probably about 10" across. So way too low for anything larger than a 25 sized plane.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Having a conversation last night with a UL pilot, who happens to own a LHS, he mentioned that most of all of this has been pushed by the pilots union. No wonder the complaints by full scale are exaggerated, and the full scale pilots in these forums are pushing for these rules. It all makes sense now to a large degree. The FAA is responding to the union. Problem is, LOS model aviation has now been irreparably damaged by all of the idiots with FPV quads.

God, I wish the electric propulsion technology never would have evolved. It is the root of all of this evil. Never would have seen an engine powered quad.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Having a conversation last night with a UL pilot, who happens to own a LHS, he mentioned that most of all of this has been pushed by the pilots union. No wonder the complaints by full scale are exaggerated, and the full scale pilots in these forums are pushing for these rules. It all makes sense now to a large degree. The FAA is responding to the union. Problem is, LOS model aviation has now been irreparably damaged by all of the idiots with FPV quads.

God, I wish the electric propulsion technology never would have evolved. It is the root of all of this evil. Never would have seen an engine powered quad.
Another one data point wonder.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:31 PM
TimJ

Here's a internal combustion engine powered quad rotor.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yeair-quadcopter-1-970x546-c.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	2141408  
Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Another one data point wonder.
Ahh yes, the good old days. How many times have we seen that in these threads...if only XXX hadn't come along. I bet the free flight guys wished the "engine powered" guys never came to be as well, and yet they did. Just more snobbery and elitism wrapped in the most antiquated shortsighted vision ever.

But hey, now it's the electrics guys fault. Perhaps they share the blame with the "multirotor" and "drone' pilots (not that half of the people complaining about them even know the difference). So now we have those pilots, the AMA, the FAA, and now the pilot unions too. So much blame to share, so little time.

Unbelievable.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Rob2160

Never would have seen an engine powered quad.
You really should do more research before using the word 'never' in a post... wrong again, Engine powered quads exist already...

http://youtu.be/Vkg23t3YaDQ http://youtu.be/rcubbloN4HU

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-14-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Why bother, that would require effort, and then they would figure out their argument has not one tiny bit of credibility. My fav are those folks that bitterly complain about the multi-rotor guys, but can't quite explain why a line of site quad, or an aircraft with 4 rotors isn't the same as a "drone".

Nope...they just won't do it. Words like "All" and "Every" and "Always" etc etc just flow out of their mouths without a second thought. Just like uttering a stereotype too, but god forbid you call them out on it. Nope...then you are the problem. They will huff and puff and call you the names, then go off in a tizzy, usually ending with "unsubed".
Old 01-14-2016, 07:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
You really should do more research before using the word 'never' in a post... wrong again, Engine powered quads exist already...
God, I wish the engine powered technology never would have evolved. It is the root of all of this evil. Never would have seen an rubber band powered quad.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Why bother, that would require effort, and then they would figure out their argument has not one tiny bit of credibility. My fav are those folks that bitterly complain about the multi-rotor guys, but can't quite explain why a line of site quad, or an aircraft with 4 rotors isn't the same as a "drone".

Nope...they just won't do it. Words like "All" and "Every" and "Always" etc etc just flow out of their mouths without a second thought. Just like uttering a stereotype too, but god forbid you call them out on it. Nope...then you are the problem. They will huff and puff and call you the names, then go off in a tizzy, usually ending with "unsubed".
Gotta love the folks who have no clue that when Trappy attracted all the attention he did he was using a fixed wing aircraft.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Rob2160

God, I wish the engine powered technology never would have evolved. It is the root of all of this evil. Never would have seen an rubber band powered quad.
Hey why not blame Radio Technology too... Without radios this would have never happened either... Damn you Guglielmo !
Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sure, we can throw some blame that way too!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 PM
vertical grimmace

Not by the idiots causing the problems with them. They would not be able to figure out how to get the needles set.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:31 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Rob2160

http://youtu.be/Vkg23t3YaDQ http://youtu.be/rcubbloN4HU
And exactly how many of those are being sold?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Rob2160

And exactly how many of those are being sold?
Not many but that is because electrical propulsion systems do exist.

The point of my post was that you claimed we "Never would have seen an engine powered quad"

But that statement is not true - is it? Because they already exist.

Here is another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnP3jTwRPv0 At least one company was/is? working on a prototype Nitro quad to bring to market.

http://curtisyoungblood.com/V2/produ...-mantaray-1230

Without the evolution of electric propulsion systems we likely would have seen a lot more development of engine powered quads.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-15-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

LoL...notice the goalpost got moved again. This is the same guy who did it before too. First he said "never", then when shown to be completely incorrect, he now goes to "sure, but how many have been sold". Won't admit to being wrong (again), but bobs and weaves to talk about something else.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:02 AM
Rob2160

LoL...notice the goalpost got moved again.
Yep... sure did.

No idea why as there is no shame in admitting to being wrong once in a while. We have all been there.

Engine powered quadcopters existed as far back as the 1920s.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcul...al-photography

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c91.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2141458  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-15-2016 at 05:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.