Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:36 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That airspace belongs to each land owner, not just to modeler's. So there are a lot of political as well as technical issues to overcome or simply dropped.
You might want to check with the FAA about that. .

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Take a look at the Armattan F1 range,

http://www.armattanquads.com/f1-5/

They are as good as anything on the market with one major advantage - a lifetime warranty on the frame - if it breaks in a crash you get a new one free.

None of the other companies will give you that.

Full disclosure: I don't work for Armattan but have received one kit at no cost in exchange for doing a build tutorial of it for their website.
Thanks Rob, I'll look into to them. I looked at their website. Lots of stuff and those frames do look very robust!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
You might want to check with the FAA about that. .

Mike
Then the FAA needs to check with SCOTUS. US VS Causby. Actually probably why they are backing down.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

AMA at tan quads?
Old 01-21-2016, 04:59 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

AMA at tan quads?
What is this "tan quads" you speak of?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 AM
rcmiket

Then the FAA needs to check with SCOTUS. US VS Causby. Actually probably why they are backing down.
The FAA didn't seem to care about SEC. 336 which is a law passed by Congress did they? All they need to do is play the "safety concern" card and it's done. Things have changed since that 1946 decision don't you think? There also have been a number of SCOTUS decisions overturned.
Just how are they "backing down"?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 01-21-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
What is this "tan quads" you speak of?
The web site Crisspy and Rob are discussing.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Things have changed since that 1946 decision don't you think? There also have been a number of SCOTUS decisions overturned.
US VS Causby has not been overturned, Mr. Causby was awarded money for the airspace the government took from him. The FAA is backing down on the AMA registration and will be using AMA numbers in the future. So yes they are backing down.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/328/256
Old 01-21-2016, 06:46 AM
rcmiket

US VS Causby has not been overturned, Mr. Causby was awarded money for the airspace the government took from him. The FAA is backing down on the AMA registration and will be using AMA numbers in the future. So yes they are backing down.

I never said it was overturned but it certainly could be. Nothing is written in stone and were in uncharted waters now with all this. The FAA saying "in the future" you may be able to use your AMA number is noway what I would call "backing down"

Mike
Old 01-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The FAA is backing down on the AMA registration and will be using AMA numbers in the future.

We don't know if that's a fact yet. Please stop spewing misinformation.

So yes they are backing down.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

nvm

Last edited by init4fun; 01-21-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

With so few registering, I think they will have to back down.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

With so few registering, I think they will have to back down.
They are not going to "back down"...and what is "so few". Over 200,000 people registered so far. Not every "drone" sold has to be registered. And keep in mind those that don't register that should have, that are caught doing something stupid, will still have to face the consequences.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Over 200,000 people registered so far.
Most of those are AMA members. There were 1.1 million drones sold just last Christmas, and on top of millions of pre existing drones. So that is a pitifully small number.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Most of those are AMA members. There were 1.1 million drones sold just last Christmas, and on top of millions of pre existing drones. So that is a pitifully small number.
It seems like you are just making this stuff up sometimes, you have no idea how many of the people who registered are AMA members....c'mon. And the last numbers I saw from a drone trade group said 440,000 were sold, and again, not all of these need to be registered. Pitifully small or not, there will be no "backing down" by the FAA after all the time and effort they put into this registration. They would be hammered for doing something like that.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 AM
init4fun

It seems like you are just making this stuff up sometimes, you have no idea how many of the people who registered are AMA members....c'mon. And the last numbers I saw from a drone trade group said 440,000 were sold, and again, not all of these need to be registered. Pitifully small or not, there will be no "backing down" by the FAA after all the time and effort they put into this registration. They would be hammered for doing something like that.
Oh I'll bet your right , they will refine it and change a thing or two , but "back down" ? meaning to drop the registration requirement because of how "few" have registered ? I think Sport is quite mistaken if he thinks the FAA will be backing down anytime soon . In fact , my guess is that in order to have our AMA # be recognized as our FAA registration number , the FAA likely wants 24/7 access to the AMA's membership records , which may be something the AMA doesn't want ?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

The AMA has already said they have no intentions of turning out information over to the FAA.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Not all drones are part of the drone trade group and a recent estimate was 1.1 million. The number you quoted was for 2014. But considering the vast millions out there they registered less than 5%.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/d...one-store.html
Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Oh I'll bet your right , they will refine it and change a thing or two , but "back down" ? meaning to drop the registration requirement because of how "few" have registered ? I think Sport is quite mistaken if he thinks the FAA will be backing down anytime soon . In fact , my guess is that in order to have our AMA # be recognized as our FAA registration number , the FAA likely wants 24/7 access to the AMA's membership records , which may be something the AMA doesn't want ?
They won't get 24/7 access. Only one at a time to match existing number. Yes they will have to back down because they are going to lose in court.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM
init4fun

They won't get 24/7 access. Only one at a time to match existing number. Yes they will have to back down because they are going to lose in court.
Sport my Friend , on your last sentence , I pray your right but fear all the FAA needs to do is play the safety card and that will be that ...
Old 01-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

I pray your right but fear all the FAA needs to do is play the safety card and that will be that ...
Safety works on Senators and Congressmen. But this will be a Judge and judges have no need for stinking safety!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:34 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The FAA didn't seem to care about SEC. 336 which is a law passed by Congress did they? All they need to do is play the "safety concern" card and it's done. Things have changed since that 1946 decision don't you think? There also have been a number of SCOTUS decisions overturned.
Just how are they "backing down"?

Mike
Has sec 336 been signed into law yet. Can't remember if the act has been signed by the President yet.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

They are not going to "back down"...and what is "so few". Over 200,000 people registered so far. Not every "drone" sold has to be registered. And keep in mind those that don't register that should have, that are caught doing something stupid, will still have to face the consequences.
Caught being the important word here ... When those that don't register Crash they won't be caught because they don't have Registration on/in the R/C Drone, How do U catch them after they crash into something ... U don't.

The only real answer to the real Problem the "Drones" flying "Where, When or How" they are not to be flown is "GEO-FENCING". With Geo-Fencing Built into every Quad/Multi-Rotor/Drone and all present drones must be retrofitted with Geo-Fencing where they won't even stat unless they are in an area
they are allowed to fly. The FAA must recognize that Traditional R/C TOYS i.e. Model Airplanes and the like are NOT the Problem Never were Never will be.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by junkjet
Has sec 336 been signed into law yet. Can't remember if the act has been signed by the President yet.

Yes, Way back in 2012!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Caught being the important word here ... When those that don't register Crash they won't be caught because they don't have Registration on/in the R/C Drone, How do U catch them after they crash into something ... U don't.

Doggie turn on some of police show and watch. They're called witnesses.

The only real answer to the real Problem the "Drones" flying "Where, When or How" they are not to be flown is "GEO-FENCING". With Geo-Fencing Built into every Quad/Multi-Rotor/Drone and all present drones must be retrofitted with Geo-Fencing where they won't even stat unless they are in an area
they are allowed to fly. The FAA must recognize that Traditional R/C TOYS i.e. Model Airplanes and the like are NOT the Problem Never were Never will be.

And how are your going to force them to use geo-fencing software?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.