Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:04 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ironically the clubs may be doing the same thing they complain about the FAA doing...overstepping their bounds without a timely review of what they are proposing. I like to think the clubs just want to be proactive, but the more I see this, the more I think otherwise. Perhaps some clubs don't have bylaws, but all I belong to do. It's not a quick or easy process to change by-laws, nor should it be. The issues should be dealt with according to rules and bylaws...if the EC of your club is trying to sidestep that, you should be very vocal about calling that out.
Ironically the club
Well Stated.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

You can come to Missouri and fly with us. We will ask if you have a current AMA but that's all. We fly for the fun of it.

We don't have boards and we have one meeting a year. Eat and re elect officers.

We fly everything here together. We all get along.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[h=2]Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?[/h]
Originally Posted by crash99
I would hope no club would go down this path.
Again Why stir up an FAA hornets when all they ask is Obtain a simple 10 digit Alphanumeric number and place it on/in any R/C TOY U fly and only when U are Flying in the NAS ... Couldn't be any simpler. The AMA has said to REGISTER if U got a New R/C TOY after 21 Dec 15. Besides Like I said in another Forum It's just STUPID t "F" with the FAA when they have done the very last they could possibly do to not go overboard and still be able to catch and prosecute those that would endanger the NAS.

Yet forums like this only serve to create a greater devide between AMA members and the FAA. One might as well pound sand as as argue with the government.

Remember the Amendment #336 has not been violated in that the FAA is registering People NOT r/C TOYs. Period. So Go Register and go FLY as U always have.
But then there always a few that would complain when some authority tries to do their job and cause the least intruption as possible. so to speak
Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 PM
HoundDog

At this time no, but that may change in the future if it becomes an AMA requirement. It's noted that some clubs have already moved in this direction, but I would push back on that unless it's a bylaw requirement. I suspect clubs are well intentioned, but might be jumping the gun here.
At this time no, NO WHAT? porcia83;use the Reply with Quotes" PLZ
Old 01-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crash99
You can come to Missouri and fly with us. We will ask if you have a current AMA but that's all. We fly for the fun of it.

We don't have boards and we have one meeting a year. Eat and re elect officers.

We fly everything here together. We all get along.
What do you eat, the old officers ?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 PM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Again Why stir up an FAA hornets when all they ask is Obtain a simple 10 digit Alphanumeric number and place it on/in any R/C TOY U fly and only when U are Flying in the NAS ... Couldn't be any simpler. The AMA has said to REGISTER if U got a New R/C TOY after 21 Dec 15. Besides Like I said in another Forum It's just STUPID t "F" with the FAA when they have done the very last they could possibly do to not go overboard and still be able to catch and prosecute those that would endanger the NAS.

Yet forums like this only serve to create a greater devide between AMA members and the FAA. One might as well pound sand as as argue with the government.

Remember the Amendment #336 has not been violated in that the FAA is registering People NOT r/C TOYs. Period. So Go Register and go FLY as U always have.
But then there always a few that would complain when some authority tries to do their job and cause the least intruption as possible. so to speak

hound dog I don't understand all the commotion about registering with the FAA. We have 160 members 2 flying fields and most of our members have registered , this is crazy if you read the bulletin posted at the beginning of this AMA says we should register but to wait , well I didn't wait I registered myself not my planes Dec 21 2015 , . I flew with 30 members sat and all had their FAA cards , we discussed it and feel if it gets rid of the whackos that don't wont to obey any rules belong to any club or organization then so be it , I say GOOD RIDDANCE we do not need those radicals in this hobby giving us a bad image and that is what has happened every time you fly at a park shopping center soccer field playground and any place not sanctioned by AMA , that is what started all this and now it is time to man up and register !!!!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
hound dog I don't understand all the commotion about registering with the FAA. We have 160 members 2 flying fields and most of our members have registered , this is crazy if you read the bulletin posted at the beginning of this AMA says we should register but to wait , well I didn't wait I registered myself not my planes Dec 21 2015 , . I flew with 30 members sat and all had their FAA cards , we discussed it and feel if it gets rid of the whackos that don't wont to obey any rules belong to any club or organization then so be it , I say GOOD RIDDANCE we do not need those radicals in this hobby giving us a bad image and that is what has happened every time you fly at a park shopping center soccer field playground and any place not sanctioned by AMA , that is what started all this and now it is time to man up and register !!!!!!
Way to go Jmiles finally some on with a brain it didn't hurt at all did it. one thing to remember if U don't have your AMA info in the plane U ain't gona get arrested ... It is possible if U don't have your 10 digit FAA number in your R/C TOY when flying it.. I for One don't need the Hassle.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:03 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Clubs expend effort to ensure everyone is an AMA member, how is checking for FAA registration different?

Whether they do it or not will depend on their membership's fear of being considered negligent in not making an effort to ensure all members are flying within the law as well as AMA guidelines. Some clubs worry more about such issues than others.

Direct FAA involvement in our hobby is a bad thing and will be a "game changer" for many of us.
The AMA tells all clubs they charter to require that everyone that fly at their club to be AMA member, The FAA has not told clubs to get involved and I think the clubs should not try to enforce FAA rules.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[h=2]Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?[/h]

Hound-

You should be a spokesman for the FAA!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:19 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
YOU ARE FORGETTING ONE KEY THING, 400 FOOT ALTITUDE LIMIT IS NOW A CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT WHEN YOU SIGN UP. Sorry, I don't agree with that. I enjoy flying sailplanes. Flying sailplanes start at 400 feet+ when launched using a wench.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Hound-

You should be a spokesman for the FAA!
I just can't win. When I sing the Praises of the AMA the AMA haters here get all over my case. Now U because I don't wish to break the Federal Law and chance Loosing My Pilot Certificate or end up as a guest of some Federal prison. See I guess what women say is more true than not. "Even if a man is right, he's wrong".
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TimJ
YOU ARE FORGETTING ONE KEY THING, 400 FOOT ALTITUDE LIMIT IS NOW A CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT WHEN YOU SIGN UP. Sorry, I don't agree with that. I enjoy flying sailplanes. Flying sailplanes start at 400 feet+ when launched using a wench.
Timmy U R asolutly correct if this (i don't agree with that. I enjoy flying sailplanes. Flying sailplanes start at 400 feet+ when launched using a wench.) is yours
The FAA is so contradictory, one place they say not to fly over 400' the in the AC91-57a say it is OK to fly higher than 400' if U do so safely and give way to maned aircraft. ... Wish they would get their Sheit together. Even the recent AMA Q&A said yes to over 400' flight. Besides when U register U don't agree or swear (Like U do when U file your 1040) that U are aware of the penalties for anything found to be untrue.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 AM
franklin_m

Our club meeting is this week, and it's the first agenda item on the list. We will do nothing to ensure a pilot has met his federal obligation. That's not an AMA nor club requirement now. I will also be confirming the AMA position about registration, we wait to hear back from them but in no event will be go past the reg date. As soon as we know, they will now. I think it's up to clubs to get this info out as well, I met people at our event on 1/1 who had no idea about the whole reg process.
Are you going to ask if AMA's insurer will pay flying related claims for members who AMA members but who have not complied with registration?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Tim is correct .

The agreement page of the registration process couldn't be clearer . No flying over 400 feet . With that wording in place , I will not cast blame on anyone who refuses to comply with the registration . I know we have one gent out here (Sport) who keeps insisting the 400 foot rule is but a mere "suggestion" , but I guess he's just not been around enough aviation to know what happens to those who do not follow the FAA's "suggestions" !
Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
At the present time , where there is no requirement to register till FEB 19 , I can see it being a non issue whether someone is registered or not .

But after feb 19 , and after the court case(s) have all played out , if a registration requirement still exists , I wonder what the AMA's insurance companies are going to do if they receive a claim from an AMA member who isn't registered ? By then , if the registration requirement HAS been upheld , and the pilot will have broken the law , will the insurer use that unregistered status as a reason to deny the claim ? As it is now , if your trespassing , flying where you haven't got permission to , it says right in the AMA documents that you won't be covered . If breaking one law (trespassing) can get your coverage denied what's to say that breaking another law (having no registration) won't produce the same denied coverage result ?
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Are you going to ask if AMA's insurer will pay flying related claims for members who AMA members but who have not complied with registration?
Hi Franklin ,

You and I share similar thoughts on the insurance issue . My belief is that any illegal activity will void the coverage and so anyone not registered by feb 19 will be at risk of having coverage denied in the event of a accident .
Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Who would I be asking...the membership? Do you mean the AMA?

No...why would I. One thing has absolutely nothing to do with another. I'll wait for further direction from the AMA. I'm thinking if there is any change..it would be at least 6 months but probably a year. The insurance policy language would need to be changed.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Hi Franklin ,

You and I share similar thoughts on the insurance issue . My belief is that any illegal activity will void the coverage and so anyone not registered by feb 19 will be at risk of having coverage denied in the event of a accident .
I get what both of you are saying..and would not be shocked if this happened in the future, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Also...and more importantly..your policies do in fact provide coverage for illegal acts. Yes there are exceptions to that, but thankfully insurance covers far more than people think.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 AM
HoundDog

Hi Franklin ,

I get what both of you are saying..and would not be shocked if this happened in the future, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Also...and more importantly..your policies do in fact provide coverage for illegal acts. Yes there are exceptions to that, but thankfully insurance covers far more than people think.
What about the FAA Requirement for flying NEW R/C TOYS ... Ain't that breaking the law and makes U ineligible for AMA insurance? Just ask'n, better get clarification be for your Next flight in the NAS of a NEW R/C TOY.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:53 AM
HoundDog

Hi Franklin ,

You and I share similar thoughts on the insurance issue . My belief is that any illegal activity will void the coverage and so anyone not registered by feb 19 will be at risk of having coverage denied in the event of a accident
Hey Guys (ALL of ya Here)
DITTO for any NEW R/C (DRONE) Toy U got for Xmas .... Hey another question ... Say Santa bought it on DEC Twentieth but U didn't take possession till the morning of the 25 th....is it considered New Or OLD? just for Legal purposes. huuuum
Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 AM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=porcia83;12156743]I get what both of you are saying..and would not be shocked if this happened in the future, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Also...and more importantly..your policies do in fact provide coverage for illegal acts. Yes there are exceptions to that, but thankfully insurance covers far more than people think.[
/QUOTE]
Better check again don't think AMA insurance does cover anything if U are "NOT" following the AMA Safety Code?
What say all U Lawyer / Experts?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

DITTO for any NEW R/C (DRONE) Toy U got for Xmas .... Hey another question ... Say Santa bought it on DEC Twentieth but U didn't take possession till the morning of the 25 th....is it considered New Or OLD? just for Legal purposes. huuuum
That whole issue was not needed in my opinion... Just added more confusion since they mix aircraft and pilot issues. They should have said everything reg on x date.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12156762]
I get what both of you are saying..and would not be shocked if this happened in the future, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Also...and more importantly..your policies do in fact provide coverage for illegal acts. Yes there are exceptions to that, but thankfully insurance covers far more than people think.[
/QUOTE]
Better check again don't think AMA insurance does if U are NOT following the AMA Safety Code?
What say all U Lawyer / Experts?
HD....look at your ho or renters policy today..after your nap. . Find the policy language that excludes illegal acts. I'll save you some time...its not there. If illegal acts were excluded 99% of auto accidents wouldn't be covered. In many instances ho losses as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:03 AM
franklin_m

Here's the scenario:
AMA member makes first flight of any sUAS AFTER 21 December 2015
AMA member complied with AMA's request to hold off registration
AMA member has a flight related mishap

Would the insurance company then have justification to deny on grounds that the flight itself was an illegal act as the sUAS was first operated after 21 December 2015 w/o FAA required registration? Remember, FAA's grace period applies only to aircraft operated before 21 December 2015.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM
HoundDog

That whole issue was not needed in my opinion... Just added more confusion since they mix aircraft and pilot issues. They should have said everything reg on x date.
Maybe U misunderstood me again .... It was purchased by someone else before the 21st of Ddc 2016 but not in your possession till after the deadline for the purpose of FAA registration does it need a number on/in of new RC/toys i.e.does it have to have an/someones FAA number in/on if flown in the NAS? Kapich? Yes Or NO will suffice OK?

Man hate to see anyone go to Federal prison over the Placement of a piece of paper. U think the Feds will let ya Post here from Leavenworth?

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-06-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

Here's the scenario:
AMA member makes first flight of any sUAS AFTER 21 December 2015
AMA member complied with AMA's request to hold off registration
AMA member has a flight related mishap

Would the insurance company then have justification to deny on grounds that the flight itself was an illegal act as the sUAS was first operated after 21 December 2015 w/o FAA required registration? Remember, FAA's grace period applies only to aircraft operated before 21 December 2015.
What ifs aren't the best way to go..but..as noted above its extremely unlikely there would be any cause for a denial. The main thing missing in your example is the policy. We don't know the effective dates of the policy nor the exclusions or endorsements. In most cases going into 2016 a policy in force in 2015 will be guiding decisions. They can't go back and retroactively insert language. Also keep in mind very few claims make it past the underlying level of h/o coverage..but there are some. Unless it's specifically addressed in the policy courts have almost always sided with policy holders in terms of coverage disputes and denials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.