Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Guys (ALL of ya Here)
DITTO for any NEW R/C (DRONE) Toy U got for Xmas .... Hey another question ... Say Santa bought it on DEC Twentieth but U didn't take possession till the morning of the 25 th....is it considered New Or OLD? just for Legal purposes. huuuum

Maybe U misunderstood me again .... It was purchased by someone else before the 21st of Ddc 2016 but not in your possession till after the deadline for the purpose of FAA registration does it need a number on/in of new RC/toys i.e.does it have to have an/someones FAA number in/on if flown in the NAS? Kapich? Yes Or NO will suffice OK?

Man hate to see anyone go to Federal prison over the Placement of a piece of paper. U think the Feds will let ya Post here from Leavenworth?
I am physically unable to give yes or no answers to questions. ....you should know that by now...ha
Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

YOU ARE FORGETTING ONE KEY THING, 400 FOOT ALTITUDE LIMIT IS NOW A CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT WHEN YOU SIGN UP.
No it is not. It says "guideline".
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Tim is correct .

The agreement page of the registration process couldn't be clearer . No flying over 400 feet . With that wording in place , I will not cast blame on anyone who refuses to comply with the registration . I know we have one gent out here (Sport) who keeps insisting the 400 foot rule is but a mere "suggestion" , but I guess he's just not been around enough aviation to know what happens to those who do not follow the FAA's "suggestions" !
If you are referencing to the AC, they only use that to back up the reckless flying rule. But that would only apply if you fail to give way to full scale. A guideline is as you said a "suggestion". Look it up.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Franklin ,

You and I share similar thoughts on the insurance issue . My belief is that any illegal activity will void the coverage and so anyone not registered by feb 19 will be at risk of having coverage denied in the event of a accident .

What about the FAA Requirement for flying NEW R/C TOYS ... Ain't that breaking the law and makes U ineligible for AMA insurance? Just ask'n, better get clarification be for your Next flight in the NAS of a NEW R/C TOY.

Yeah I can see it now. FAA inspector visits airfield (very unlikely), he sees you cleaning up your brand new Tower Kaos (or whatever) you maiden'd and he asks hey nice model did you get that for Christmas!

Nooo! You reply. FAA man asks for receipt. You tell him you don't have one you got it a year ago!

So how does the FAA man prove otherwise?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:09 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first thing is the insurance question. I called the AMA around 30 days or so ago and talked with Tony, I think that was his name.

The. AMA takes the stand of register with the FAA or not will not effect our AMA insurance.

Now to the FAA overreaching 400 feet rule.

When you sign up you are agreeing not to fly over 400 feet. Yes the FAA put in writing you my fly higher in some locations but that is not changing the FACT you have agreed to not fly over 400 feet. If you do than are you not breaking your agreement with the FAA?

If that is correct would you not be guilty and could face the same punishment as a person that did not register? Or would you face a harsher punishment due to you knowing broke your agreement?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

When you sign up you are agreeing not to fly over 400 feet. Yes the FAA put in writing you my fly higher in some locations but that is not changing the FACT you have agreed to not fly over 400 feet. If you do than are you not breaking your agreement with the FAA?
The wording has no legal commitment. It says you will follow the following guidelines. It did not say you will always adhere to these rules. It would be like saying when you drive you may follow the middle stripe to in the road. That would not mean you would always stay on the right side of the yellow line.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:34 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

I have not register so I have not seen the screen but, if you log in and it says I agree to fly 400 feet or lower, you click on agree, that is no difference than you signing that on paper.

Welcome to the digital age. You have heard the term I am signing into my computer.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by crash99
I have not register so I have not seen the screen but, if you log in and it says I agree to fly 400 feet or lower, you click on agree, that is no difference than you signing that on paper.

Welcome to the digital age. You have heard the term I am signing into my computer.
Except you agreed to follow a guideline. To follow means to generally adhere based on good judgment. Guideline is a set of recommendations, not rules. I write specifications and have to know the legal meanings of common terms. They do not necessarily mean the same thing you are used to.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No it is not. It says "guideline".
Here is what you "agree" to when you sign up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NO FAA.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2139998  
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Here is what you "agree" to when you sign up.
It says "Acknowledgement of safety guidance.", thus it is a guideline. And below it say's "I intend to follow". It does not say it is a rule or regulation, not does it say you will always adhere to the rule. An intent is not the same as to comply. It is as loose as a goose.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 01-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 AM
TimJ

It is a contractual agreement.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM
TimJ

Here is what the certificate looks like.

Name:	NO FAA CERT.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2139999  
Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

It is a contractual agreement.
Yes that you agree there are guidelines and you will sometimes follow them. There is no teeth to the wording.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:58 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
What ifs aren't the best way to go..but..as noted above its extremely unlikely there would be any cause for a denial. The main thing missing in your example is the policy. We don't know the effective dates of the policy nor the exclusions or endorsements. In most cases going into 2016 a policy in force in 2015 will be guiding decisions. They can't go back and retroactively insert language. Also keep in mind very few claims make it past the underlying level of h/o coverage..but there are some. Unless it's specifically addressed in the policy courts have almost always sided with policy holders in terms of coverage disputes and denials.
For the individual, I agree the risk is low as it has to make it past HO first (and therein lies my argument that for individuals AMA insurance is largely low value).

But what about the site owner, where AMA insurance is primary? I find it tough to believe that there isn't a clause that excludes coverage for illegal acts.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:58 AM
TimJ

Until a full size aircraft goes right through your model about 400 fee, causing an emergency situation. When the investigation proves the incident happened over 400 feet, you will then be liable. And there will not be any wiggle room because you acknowledged and agreed to NOT fly above 400 feet.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Until a full size aircraft goes right through your model about 400 fee, causing an emergency situation. When the investigation proves the incident happened over 400 feet, you will then be liable. And there will not be any wiggle room because you acknowledged and agreed to NOT fly above 400 feet.
Sorry but the same would be true if you did not agree, and also true if a full scale helicopter was flying at 200 feet. It would be called failure to see and avoid. If I was a contractor bidding on a spec written this way I would bid one dollar and then ask for a million dollar change order after winning the bid. That would be after signing a contract, BTW.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
For the individual, I agree the risk is low as it has to make it past HO first (and therein lies my argument that for individuals AMA insurance is largely low value).

But what about the site owner, where AMA insurance is primary? I find it tough to believe that there isn't a clause that excludes coverage for illegal acts.
Would have to see a specific policy but even the commercial policies (cgl) are standard policies as well but have more options for additional coverage, not less. There is almost no policy I can think of that has this specific type of exclusion. Policies afford coverage for negligence.... Which is almost always trigged as a result of a lawless act....speeding and turning left in front of an ongoing car and causing property loss and injury, or getting into a fistfight and striking someone....both almost always covered.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
TimJ

Sorry but the same would be true if you did not agree, and also true if a full scale helicopter was flying at 200 feet. It would be called failure to see and avoid. If I was a contractor bidding on a spec written this way I would bid one dollar and then ask for a million dollar change order after winning the bid. That would be after signing a contract, BTW.
You are still agreeing to fly below 400 feet. Do I have a different understanding of the English language here? What do you see that I'm not?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Tdaffy

It's a tough one. I don't think that the burden should be on the club reps to card check any pilot that shows up. However, if the FAA stuff becomes law, then the club should be able to require proof to be submitted upon membership, or resub. It would be appropriate for the club leaders to comply, in order to protect themselves and the membership.
The process of inspecting documents every day and each outing would be cumbersome and frankly obstructive to the enjoyment factor. I think that if a new pilot arrives, it should be handled according to that clubs current rules. However, in order to be a member, and a flying member, then I accept that the club has the responsibility to its members, to ensure you are in compliance.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tdaffy
It's a tough one. I don't think that the burden should be on the club reps to card check any pilot that shows up. However, if the FAA stuff becomes law, then the club should be able to require proof to be submitted upon membership, or resub. It would be appropriate for the club leaders to comply, in order to protect themselves and the membership.
The process of inspecting documents every day and each outing would be cumbersome and frankly obstructive to the enjoyment factor. I think that if a new pilot arrives, it should be handled according to that clubs current rules. However, in order to be a member, and a flying member, then I accept that the club has the responsibility to its members, to ensure you are in compliance.
What would the club be protecting itself against? The registration requires a person to register, not an entity. Failure to do so is on the responsible party, ie the pilot. That doesn't transfer to a club.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

You are still agreeing to fly below 400 feet. Do I have a different understanding of the English language here? What do you see that I'm not?
GUIDELINE
Old 01-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Sport_Pilot

You are still agreeing to fly below 400 feet.
That's pretty easy to do, You have to be under 400 feet to take off.

Where does it say you will not fly above 400 feet?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by porcia83
I am physically unable to give yes or no answers to questions. ....you should know that by now...ha
OH YA that's why I asked for a YES or NO ... U/Me and many others never answer with one word do we? Y or N. Now go to your room and NAP. Us old gezzers need our rest (NAPS).
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 PM
TimJ

That's pretty easy to do, You have to be under 400 feet to take off.

Where does it say you will not fly above 400 feet?

Name:	NO FAA CERT.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2140009   Click image for larger version

Name:	NO FAA.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2140010  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.