Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question to AMA

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question to AMA

Old 04-15-2016, 07:19 PM
  #51  
skylark-flier
 
skylark-flier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, Luray
Posts: 2,177
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Have already received a reply from the AMA. They have referred my question to somebody else and will get back to me.

Sounds like an FAA reply ! LOL
Geez, you're lucky - you actually received a reply. I just got a "I'm out of the office..." - 2 months ago.

But, I did register with the FAA, as that seem to become the norm and was getting feed back that clubs I belonged to was going to require the FAA registrations to fly at their fields.
Are you - and the clubs - aware that AMA has officially stated that clubs are not to "require FAA registration" to fly?

Last edited by skylark-flier; 04-15-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:09 AM
  #52  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by skylark-flier View Post
Geez, you're lucky - you actually received a reply. I just got a "I'm out of the office..." - 2 months ago.



Are you - and the clubs - aware that AMA has officially stated that clubs are not to "require FAA registration" to fly?
Where did they state that? They have noted that they are not requiring clubs to check for the registration, but clubs are absolutely free to make any rules they want. The AMA can't stop them from doing it (even though I don't think it's needed).
Old 04-16-2016, 06:25 AM
  #53  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU View Post
In most cases an agency will bring up a proposal to the law- making body and if they(congress in this case) thinks it a good idea they direct the agency to come up with guidelines. Does anyone actually think Congress would come up with
regulations entirely on their own, get serious!
Congress does not direct the agency to come up with guidelines, they can do that at any time because guidelines are not enforceable. Congress directs agencies to come up with regulations which are enforceable.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM
  #54  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,555
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

So you guys really do not see the difference between sitting in a cockpit of an airplane and flying it and standing on the ground viewing it from the outside? Control reversal when the aircraft is heading toward you means absolutely nothing?
You guys can pizz and moan about the silliest things. Having a problem with the testing in general is one thing but having a problem because you are full fledged pilots is something completely different.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:22 AM
  #55  
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)
 
RCFlyerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cape Coral
Posts: 1,834
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
having a problem because you are full fledged pilots is something completely different.
It is an accomplishment in life that only a few can achieve or have the opportunity to achieve! And, going up through the Ratings and Certificates, is a whole new set of accomplishments above and beyond that of the Private Pilot! So, Yes, we are a proud group of people to be called a Pilot and especially if we are flying for a living.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:26 AM
  #56  
Granpooba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan View Post
It is an accomplishment in life that only a few can achieve or have the opportunity to achieve! And, going up through the Ratings and Certificates, is a whole new set of accomplishments above and beyond that of the Private Pilot! So, Yes, we are a proud group of people to be called a Pilot and especially if we are flying for a living.
Very well stated !

Also flying for a living is another accomplishment in itself. I sincerely doubt that their are any other careers in the world that require a person to take recurrent training every ( 6 ) months and pass a written test. Or to take and pass a proficiency flight check every (6) months. Finally, to go and get a Flight Physical from only authorized doctors and pass that physical just to keep and maintain your ATP certificate, thus maintaining the way that you support yourself or your family.

I probably have only blown my horn maybe 2 to 3 times during my career as a pilot, just a couple of days ago was one. But I do think the discussion going on about whether or not a full scale pilot can fly RC or not should just stop NOW !

As in any profession, their are people that do their jobs very well and others that do their jobs not so well. Some are confident and others are over confident. The ones that are over confident, I personally do not want to associate with and will let them walk down their own path. But the ones that have taken the time to study hard, passed numerous tests , not to mention spent many thousands of dollars to carve out a working career in aviation, I will be glad to associate with any day. And one that has mastered the skill of flying an RC model airplane, deserves even more recognition.

Neither flying a FULL SCALE AIRCRAFT or an RC MODEL AIRCRAFT is easy, at least in my mind. But if you have mastered both, then congratulations to you.

What I have stated above are my own " PERSONAL " thoughts and feelings. But, I really do think this banter about who can and who can not fly should stop and we need to move on to solving the real problems that are facing the RC Model Hobby and those problems are with our own government, FAA and even with the AMA.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 AM
  #57  
da Rock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Pfafftown NC
Posts: 11,517
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
........... But I do think the discussion going on about whether or not a full scale pilot can fly RC or not should just stop NOW !

............
If the discussion was that simple, it should stop.

The part that is moot, is the discussion about the test. It's being scoffed at by some pilots who think it must assuredly be beneath them. The problem with that is the usual apples and oranges deal. The pilots who push that idea are simply demonstrating why "pilothood" not only isn't helpful learning to fly RC, but clearly illustrates the attitude so many of them have. And so many of them really don't understand lots of things about RC.

As for telling everyone what to post about and how to post it................ I'll leave that up to those self ordained in the "posthood".
Old 04-17-2016, 12:16 PM
  #58  
Granpooba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by da Rock View Post
If the discussion was that simple, it should stop.

The part that is moot, is the discussion about the test. It's being scoffed at by some pilots who think it must assuredly be beneath them. The problem with that is the usual apples and oranges deal. The pilots who push that idea are simply demonstrating why "pilothood" not only isn't helpful learning to fly RC, but clearly illustrates the attitude so many of them have. And so many of them really don't understand lots of things about RC.

As for telling everyone what to post about and how to post it................ I'll leave that up to those self ordained in the "posthood".
I really do not think that any of the pilots objecting to being tested are feeling that it is beneath them. I think part of the objection is that these pilots, including myself have be tested over and over again thru out their whole careers. Now that they have found a hobby and all that they want to do is enjoy it are not being told that they may have to be tested again.

" I " feel and they most likely think that they need no government intervention in a recreational hobby.

I retired from a career in aviation and I have no desire to fly full scale anymore, or even go to an airport to watch airplanes take off and land. But what I have enjoyed is going to the flying field, working with one of my models, flying it and then returning home with it intact. No, I am not a great RC pilot, but I can hold my own with safe pattern flying with some aerobatic maneuvers thrown in just to raise ones skill level. Big part of this hobby is the interaction with fellow hobbyists and that is another reason to go to the flying field.

The next thing before you know it is that the government may want to test you and I on our public relation skills.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:08 PM
  #59  
da Rock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Pfafftown NC
Posts: 11,517
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
I really do not think that any of the pilots objecting to being tested are feeling that it is beneath them. I think part of the objection is that these pilots, including myself have be tested over and over again thru out their whole careers. Now that they have found a hobby and all that they want to do is enjoy it are not being told that they may have to be tested again.

Reading what they wrote suggested to me they felt they already knew all there was to know about flying. And they'd already passed tests proving it. None ever mentioned what they thought was going to be on the test. Think about it. The test is going to be online. How long would it be before the answers are posted online? And other than details pertinent to model flying specifically would you think would/should be in the test? So what exactly have existing and past certification tests had on them that would have predicted the rules the FAA just came up with for drones?

I can't remember any pilots who argued that (both they and) non-pilots really didn't need testing. Exempting any group of people from testing on newly implemented rules seems fairly stupid, if you accept that testing would actually accomplish anything at all.

But yes, the reasoning behind enforced testing is the silliest of the BS that is swamping our hobby.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:26 PM
  #60  
Granpooba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Pertaining to RC Pilot testing , here is the latest reply that I have received from the AMA. I do feel satisfied that at least they are replying quickly to my questions and not just brushing them aside.

Q. With all of the above stated, why should it be necessary for me to pass a test to fly a " Radio Controlled Airplane " ?

A: We are probably a year away from the test becoming public - assuming the Senate version does not get amended, passes the second committee, and passes the second round of voting. Most likely you will have to take the test, but again we have many more steps from even knowing if the test will be required.

Finally, I would like to know why the AMA has not launched a NATIONAL program to explain to the general public that it is not the Model Aircraft Hobbyist, but the rogue DRONE operators that are causing all of the air space problems ?

A: That question best may be best answered by your Executive Council person or through a marketing ticket. I can confirm we make this argument in all of our media inquiries.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:31 AM
  #61  
Granpooba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Reply to above / last statement from friend that retired from FAA

Can you imagine the chaos and confusion with the FAA setting up model airplane
designated examiners?? What a crock of unadulterated BS ! The costs are
going to be astronomical and it is destined to be a real fiasco! Who comes up
with this crap??!!

Also, have you received and read the last statement from the AMA ? If you have not it is sickening what our government is trying to do. They still have it in the bill that require models built at home by us hobbyists, to meet FAA design and building standards. MY GOD, what planet did OUR representatives come from ? Wonder if they even realize that their is an ARF market out there ! LOL
Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 PM
  #62  
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Athol, ID
Posts: 2,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Kind'a like "Skin-searching" a 90 year old white Great grandmother and letting a Burka wearing person un-challenged thru the gates at LAX so as not to profile? Sick of political correctness! Go after the offenders and leave us alone!
Old 04-21-2016, 04:29 AM
  #63  
Granpooba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU View Post
Kind'a like "Skin-searching" a 90 year old white Great grandmother and letting a Burka wearing person un-challenged thru the gates at LAX so as not to profile? Sick of political correctness! Go after the offenders and leave us alone!
DITTO !
Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 AM
  #64  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,867
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU View Post
Kind'a like "Skin-searching" a 90 year old white Great grandmother and letting a Burka wearing person un-challenged thru the gates at LAX so as not to profile? Sick of political correctness! Go after the offenders and leave us alone!
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
DITTO !
I know of one recently noteworthy gentleman who has just made the national news yet again , this time for for challenging the politically correct BS of altering the look of our money . There is correct , and then politically correct , and far too many , dare i even say most , of the folks "pulling the strings" in our gooberment today have no clue that there even IS a distinction between the two .
Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 AM
  #65  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I know of one recently noteworthy gentleman who has just made the national news yet again , this time for for challenging the politically correct BS of altering the look of our money . There is correct , and then politically correct , and far too many , dare i even say most , of the folks "pulling the strings" in our gooberment today have no clue that there even IS a distinction between the two .
LOL It has been said that neither Tubman nor Jackson would want their face on money. Jackson because he was against national banks, and Tubman because she was bought an paid for as a slave.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:15 AM
  #66  
Granpooba
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Queensbury, NY
Posts: 1,357
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
LOL It has been said that neither Tubman nor Jackson would want their face on money. Jackson because he was against national banks, and Tubman because she was bought an paid for as a slave.
Watching " Bill Maher " on HBO this morning. He states that Jackson also owned slaves and with Jackson on the back of the bill and Tubman on the front, if you hold it up to the light and look at it, it appears that Jackson is chasing Tubman. LOL

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.