Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Try looking two steps ahead.
Don't need to look two steps ahead. Drone delivery isn't going to happen in the near future and, even then, not at ranges long enough to be an issue on airports since they won't be allowed near an airport anyway
Old 07-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Don't need to look two steps ahead. Drone delivery isn't going to happen in the near future and, even then, not at ranges long enough to be an issue on airports since they won't be allowed near an airport anyway
So then, why does the ALPA want the data they asked for?
Old 07-13-2016, 07:55 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I agree. I don't think the FAA will EVER mandate membership as a condition of compliance with any part of PL112-95 Section 336 / 14 CFR 101. To do so would be the legal equivalent of requiring membership in AOPA to fly part 61. AMA is trying to lead folks to believe that membership is required, but until I hear it from FAA, it's just wishful thinking on the AMA's part.

I agree, and I did see the video the AMA put out a week or so ago where in the video the statement was made you have to be a AMA member to operate under their programming.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

So then, why does the ALPA want the data they asked for?
They are looking at reliability of R/C radio gear, not how a delivery drone is going to work
Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

They are looking at reliability of R/C radio gear, not how a delivery drone is going to work
Why are they concerned about reliability if:

Drone delivery isn't going to happen in the near future and, even then, not at ranges long enough to be an issue on airports since they won't be allowed near an airport anyway
Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by chris p. Bacon
why are they concerned about reliability if:
would you want to be walking in your yard and have an r/c aircraft fall on you after it hit a jetliner due to a radio failure?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

would you want to be walking in your yard and have an r/c aircraft fall on you after it hit a jetliner due to a radio failure?
Wasn't asking about my yard.

Why is the ALPA concerned about reliability if:

Drone delivery isn't going to happen in the near future and, even then, not at ranges long enough to be an issue on airports since they won't be allowed near an airport anyway
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

If you can't figure this one out, it's not my place to spoon feed you
Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 AM
rcmiket

IMO, there's a couple dynamics that are in play with respect to membership, and it will take a few years to pan out before a trend emerges.

Aging membership - While the AMA has been touting the number of youth memberships, it remains to be seen how many of these will remain members over time, or if they will move on to the next techno fad.

Club membership - Dave Scott said in MA that there's been a 15-year decline in club membership. Fewer members means higher costs per member (on top of inflation). Will this result in fewer club fields? If so, does it not start a death spiral of sorts as people find other places to fly or, like me, just choose to fly things that don't require a club field sized area? If you want to pay for the camaraderie? Fine, but not everyone places the same level of value on that.

MRs - Given they can be flown just about anywhere, including indoors in vacant warehouses, there may be less demand for club fields.

I do know that at least in my area, youngsters are not "joining types." They're "grazers." Maybe it's the generation with rapid access to ever changing stimuli. Time will tell.
All very true.

Mike
Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
All very true.

Mike
Conditioned response.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:50 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered that maybe they're grazers due to the lack of quality mentoring by the adults in the community?
It could be. I suppose that with enough mentoring, "even a blind squirrel will find a nut." But you can't "mentor" someone into enjoying something they fundamentally don't enjoy. I spent 20 years in military aviation, doing some pretty cool stuff. My kids have been around military and civilian aircraft since birth. All of my friends are or were military pilots. Yet not one of my kids has any interest in RC planes, cars, or boats. Baseball? Yes. Soccer? Yes. Computer programming? Yes. My middle son tried it for one summer, on a buddy box, but lost interest in favor of baseball.

Kids in the neighborhood have stopped by when I've been flying in the park. While I can't give the controls to the helo, I generally have a FW that I can let them fly. They've all enjoyed it, but not one of them nor their parents have ever contacted me about doing more of it.

Now, a couple guys at work are starting to mess with MRs. But, they're all my age or older, not interested in joining AMA (honestly, I've asked), and are mostly just flying around their homes and cabins for photos.

So, could mentoring solve the problem? I'm in specific cases, maybe. But on a widespread level sufficient to change the AMA's/ club's aging demographic / declining membership challenge? - No.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by ira d
I agree, and I did see the video the AMA put out a week or so ago where in the video the statement was made you have to be a AMA member to operate under their programming.
Concur. I watched it several times so I could transcribe the quote directly.

Chad Budreau of AMA at this link: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

Beginning at about 35 seconds, he makes the following explicit statement: "We've made it clear, that to operate within our safety program, you must join the AMA and affirm your willingness to comply with our safety code and related safety guidelines. [emphasis added]"
Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Franklin's comment says nothing about encouraging. As usual, the comments have nefarious overtones:

"...AMA is trying to lead folks to believe that membership is required..."

I just see it as an outright lie. It comes as no surprise that there is no evidence to support this, that's the standard with something like this.

A lie is a lie, is a lie.

And yet another quote - this time on video! Chad Budreau of AMA at this link: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx . Beginning at about 35 seconds, he makes the following explicit statement:

"We've made it clear, that to operate within our safety program, you must join the AMA and affirm your willingness to comply with our safety code and related safety guidelines. [emphasis added]"
Old 07-14-2016, 06:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't see the AMA insisting that you must be a member to be flying under the CBO rules as a bad thing. But the important thing is, what does the FAA think about this? Have they ever said? Have they issued a violation or warning to some non member claiming to be flying under AMA rules?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

And yet another quote - this time on video! Chad Budreau of AMA at this link: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx . Beginning at about 35 seconds, he makes the following explicit statement:

"We've made it clear, that to operate within our safety program, you must join the AMA and affirm your willingness to comply with our safety code and related safety guidelines. [emphasis added]"
A lie is a lie is a lie. There is no trickery involved. Just more attempts to find fault with the AMA. Not even creative, just transparent.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It could be. I suppose that with enough mentoring, "even a blind squirrel will find a nut." But you can't "mentor" someone into enjoying something they fundamentally don't enjoy. I spent 20 years in military aviation, doing some pretty cool stuff. My kids have been around military and civilian aircraft since birth. All of my friends are or were military pilots. Yet not one of my kids has any interest in RC planes, cars, or boats. Baseball? Yes. Soccer? Yes. Computer programming? Yes. My middle son tried it for one summer, on a buddy box, but lost interest in favor of baseball.

Kids in the neighborhood have stopped by when I've been flying in the park. While I can't give the controls to the helo, I generally have a FW that I can let them fly. They've all enjoyed it, but not one of them nor their parents have ever contacted me about doing more of it.

Now, a couple guys at work are starting to mess with MRs. But, they're all my age or older, not interested in joining AMA (honestly, I've asked), and are mostly just flying around their homes and cabins for photos.

So, could mentoring solve the problem? I'm in specific cases, maybe. But on a widespread level sufficient to change the AMA's/ club's aging demographic / declining membership challenge? - No.
Large scale change occurs when a lot of people change a little.

Many social clubs are facing tough challenges in today's economy so this is nothing unique to the AMA. Kudos to the AMA for their free youth membership program. An unequal age distribution among membership is not something that's easily fixed overnight. I shouldn't have to explain that to you, but I realize you're going to seize the opportunity to capitalize on it every opportunity you get. You've gotten more mileage out that Dave Scott article than all other AMA members combined.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:12 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM
TimJ

Only temporarily can we jump up and down for joy. More battles are ahead.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Simply amazing the lengths some will go to deny the AMA wants a captive membership
Well Duh! What organization or business doesn't? But are they honestly portraying the requirement? I suggest that they are. We do not know how the FAA will follow the CBO requirements. Perhaps they do?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yea , they likely stopped by this very forum looking for mentors , but when they saw yours and your Amigo's snide pompous posts , decided more suitable mentors could be found elsewhere .
Este es un ejemplo de una entrada pomposa!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Only temporarily can we jump up and down for joy. More battles are ahead.
What are we joyous about?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yea , they likely stopped by this very forum looking for mentors , but when they saw yours and your Amigo's snide pompous posts , decided more suitable mentors could be found elsewhere .
Did you offer them one of your Kool-Aid intolerance shaming drinks with a nice little squelch umbrella, shaken, not stirred, just the way you like it?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Simply amazing the lengths some will go to deny the AMA wants a captive membership .
Anybody who understands the English language
Where has anyone denied the AMA wants a captive membership?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Este es un ejemplo de una entrada pomposa!
Haz lo que digo no lo que hago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.