Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
I too can see why Franklin thinks second degree burns are required to be reported , because it's written right there into the law he quoted . Franklin isn't making that up or twisting that statute to his point's advantage , it says what it says , and that is what the writers of that law intend , that all burns second degree or above get reported .

Bottom line = the law says what it says and Franklin is correct that the incident being discussed here does fall within the scope of requiring reporting under that law .
I haven't seen anything from you, Franklin, Hydro, speedracerntrixie, or anyone else for that matter prove that law was in effect and applicable to non-commercial sUAS operations at the time the incident occurred. Will you be providing evidence that law was in effect for non-commercial sUAS operations at the time the incident occurred or is Franklin the only one providing any real substance to substantiate reporting was required?

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 07-11-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:51 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I haven't seen anything from you, Franklin, Hydro, speedracerntrixie, or anyone else for that matter prove that law was in effect and applicable to non-commercial sUAS operations at the time the incident occurred. Will you be providing evidence that law was in effect for non-commercial sUAS operations at the time the incident occurred or is Franklin the only one providing any real substance here?
No, they will just try to agree with him because they can't possibly agree with anything we say. Note none of them have weighed in on this comment yet:

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Actually, that's a great idea. I'm thinking:
- Letters to my elected representatives
- Hotline email to FAA
- Hotline email to NTSB

Of course all will include citations of these and other incidents that required reporting under the law, yet were not reported. Pointing them where to look for examples of a not so "impeccable" safety record, which will inform their decisions with respect to future legislative, regulatory, and enforcement action.

I don't know there's a cause and effect, I could certainly never prove it, but I can't help but note that after I asked for copies of the AMA's IRS990's last year (ones that should have been published but were not) under the law / FOIA ... suddenly there's an IRS look at AMA? Things that make you go "hummmmm." But I digress.

So, be careful what you ask for Crispy....I'm just the guy who knows not just who and where to send these, but how to frame it in a way that makes it tough for regulators to ignore. That's the thing about government agencies, when you make it easy for them by telling them exactly where to look, and provide proof of clear and documented violation of law, policy, or regulation, they're more than happy to go look (even more so when you have friends that work there).

Old 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
No, they will just try to agree with him because they can't possibly agree with anything we say. Note none of them have weighed in on this comment yet:

Actually, that's a great idea. I'm thinking:
- Letters to my elected representatives
- Hotline email to FAA
- Hotline email to NTSB

Of course all will include citations of these and other incidents that required reporting under the law, yet were not reported. Pointing them where to look for examples of a not so "impeccable" safety record, which will inform their decisions with respect to future legislative, regulatory, and enforcement action.

I don't know there's a cause and effect, I could certainly never prove it, but I can't help but note that after I asked for copies of the AMA's IRS990's last year (ones that should have been published but were not) under the law / FOIA ... suddenly there's an IRS look at AMA? Things that make you go "hummmmm." But I digress.

So, be careful what you ask for Crispy....I'm just the guy who knows not just who and where to send these, but how to frame it in a way that makes it tough for regulators to ignore. That's the thing about government agencies, when you make it easy for them by telling them exactly where to look, and provide proof of clear and documented violation of law, policy, or regulation, they're more than happy to go look (even more so when you have friends that work there).

Hey Amigo, I'm eagerly awaiting their response on that one too! Will be interesting to see if they want their name attached to a federal corruption scandal.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

But Sport , I too can see why Franklin thinks second degree burns are required to be reported , because it's written right there into the law he quoted . Franklin isn't making that up or twisting that statute to his point's advantage , it says what it says , and that is what the writers of that law intend , that all burns second degree or above get reported . Now , you , I , and the man on the moon may think it's silly to report a muffler burn , but that IS what the letter of the law states . Also , as to muffler burns , if you read the article of the two guys burned by that crashed jet , it only mentioned one of the two burned gents as being treated & released , the least burned of the two . The fact that no further mention was made of the more severely burned guy leads one to wonder if maybe he did spend a bit more time in the hospital than what would be considered "treated & released" as the least burned guy was said to be . Also , don't forget this was no muffler burn , the article described the more burned gent as having been sprayed by burning fuel on his arm , I'll bet that burn was indeed quite severe and far worse than mistakenly coming into contact with the muffler on your old OS 35 .....

Bottom line = the law says what it says and Franklin is correct that the incident being discussed here does fall within the scope of requiring reporting under that law .
Bottom line, are you just accepting what Franklin links too or did you do any research on this yourself? Have you heard from the AMA or your club that this is now required?

Also, and more importantly, since you seem to agree with everything he has to say, what about this?

Got any problem with that or does that seem like something a reasonable person would go about setting into motion? How about the comment made about gathering data for personal injury attorneys. Do you think any of that helps your club or the AMA? Wouldn't you be one of the first to complain about over burdensome regulation and oversight, and yet another thing to keep track of? Who in your club should be responsible for this?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hey Amigo, I'm eagerly awaiting their response on that one too! Will be interesting to see if they want their name attached to a federal corruption scandal.
Ola! Set aside even the issue of corruption. It's interesting that nobody who generally agrees with Franklin stepped up to comment on that latest threat (and that's exactly what it was), or the comment in the past about gathering data to work hand in hand with personal injury attorneys. The silence in deafening. Ever time I read about another proposed rule or regulation coming from him I naturally wonder why, and what is the true intent of the data collection. They can bob and weave and spin talk about three amigos all they want, but best I've seen so far is "well Frankin said it's the law, so we should do it". This is just another exercise to show how silly some of the laws are, and one persons attempt to classify a park flier and a full scale aircraft as one in the same. Can't help but wonder if he would self report himself if he had an "incident" at the school yard he likes to fly at. I mean, it it's the law...this should have been going on all the time right?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Concur. Is it just me or do folks seem to be working really hard to defend failure to follow the law at an AMA sanctioned event? By contrast, it seems to be rather easy for others to find ample documented examples with respect to a less than "impeccable" record. And we haven't even needed to quote AMA's comments on trends they're seeing in insurance claims.

Let's see: FAA reports of sUAS events going up (YYYY/MM vs. YYYY+1/MM), NASA ASRS reports coming more frequently (on very limited search, found six in 2015, vs. six in the years 1998 to 2001 using same criteria), and AMA reporting troubling claim trends. Yet some still deny these are leading indicators of a troubling trend?
It's just you, nobody (even those who agree with you on other issues) are really buying into this new line or doom and gloom and supposition. There is no troubling trend, it's literally all in your head. I did CD our annual electric event and I did see someone get a pretty bad sunburn this weekend, should I have reported it? I don't want to be breaking any laws here. BTW, who will be investigating and enforcing this "law"?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

It's funny how you guys practically demand that we answer your questions yet fail to answer ours. What are we going to do about those birds Chris? It's quite obvious your agendas are to keep the argument alive. Links to information have been posted yet you fail to recognize them. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, a closed mind is even worse.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ola! Set aside even the issue of corruption. It's interesting that nobody who generally agrees with Franklin stepped up to comment on that latest threat (and that's exactly what it was), or the comment in the past about gathering data to work hand in hand with personal injury attorneys. The silence in deafening. Ever time I read about another proposed rule or regulation coming from him I naturally wonder why, and what is the true intent of the data collection. They can bob and weave and spin talk about three amigos all they want, but best I've seen so far is "well Frankin said it's the law, so we should do it". This is just another exercise to show how silly some of the laws are, and one persons attempt to classify a park flier and a full scale aircraft as one in the same. Can't help but wonder if he would self report himself if he had an "incident" at the school yard he likes to fly at. I mean, it it's the law...this should have been going on all the time right?
Muy Bien, Amigo. You may recall a while back I specifically asked Franklin if he had written permission to fly at the school yard he flies at. You know, I don't ever remember him answering that question. Perhaps he can answer it now?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

And Porcia...

If the organization is as safe as it says it is, why should you be at all concerned about what I might send regulators or legislators?

Failure to comply with the law with respect to incident reporting is part of the reason there's not a lot of data on actual safety performance. And the actual performance and actual compliance (or non-compliance) with AMA guidelines is what concerns me with respect to the danger of collisions between drones and manned aircraft.

NASA's safety database has several reports that show the "impeccable" record is not so "impeccable." Furthermore, it shows that these near misses often involve "model aircraft." I counted a number of times manned aircraft had to maneuver to avoid a collision with a "model aircraft". Not so "impeccable" as people have been told.
I have absolutely no concerns about anything you send to any regulator or legislator. Send reports, links, and your theory on this horribly troubling trend and be sure to update all of us on the response you get. Speaking of a group with I guess we can say is less than "exceptional" safety record. This just in;

http://<iframe src='http://players.b...er=0></iframe>

A report into the incident – in which eight were injured – concluded that human error was to blame. Thankfully, no deaths.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

I have absolutely no concerns about anything you send to any regulator or legislator. Send reports, links, and your theory on this horribly troubling trend and be sure to update all of us on the response you get. Speaking of a group with I guess we can say is less than "exceptional" safety record. This just in;

http://<iframe src='http://players.b...er=0></iframe>

A report into the incident – in which eight were injured – concluded that human error was to blame. Thankfully, no deaths.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...rcraft-carrier
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
It's funny how you guys practically demand that we answer your questions yet fail to answer ours. What are we going to do about those birds Chris? It's quite obvious your agendas are to keep the argument alive. Links to information have been posted yet you fail to recognize them. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, a closed mind is even worse.
So I guess these folks are wasting their time and your tax dollars since nothing can be done, right?

http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_...fe/management/

Maybe you can let them know?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike1974
Hi guys,

Glad to see everyone is still getting along as always. lmao!!

Read this whole thread. Fun!

I am just going to make one comment about the 400ft limit.

When I go to fly my fpv plane, I take off flying los and get to an altitude that looks safe and I put my plane in loiter (250ft radius around gps position when engadged) and get situated to fly fpv. You know what the funny thing was? Everytime I put the goggles on I was very suprised to see my altitude between 450-550ft. I would have never guessed I was that high up and I could very easily fly los at that altitude. I was not trying to take the plane to the edge of my vision, but just flying up to a safe altitude before I put it in loiter. This is a 5ft wingspan foam, whate glider. About the size of my GP .40 non-clipped Piper Cub. That 400ft limit is a joke.

Ok, I'm done. Carry on with the arguing. lol.

Oh, porcia, I will be in CT the end of Aug. I will get at ya.
That is insane, ridiculous and a waste of time!! Who is making this stuff up? To quote Bill Ingvall, "Here's your sign"!
Let's argue about the moon landing! Hoax or not? Apollo 11 anniversary and I am going to Wright Pat this weekend!! Woot woot!!
I'm your Huckleberry.
LOL...one of the better responses in the thread. Looks like you've been cast into the group of folks who dare to disagree with someone! Drop me a line, I'll be around.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Even funnier is the mind that insists it's right, and all must agree! Did you fail to realize things ARE already being done to mitigate bird strikes, and all other types of animal versus aircraft incidents. Did you really not know that those things were going on already?

Here's another issue that we might want to look into, hot in, just off the press;

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/07/1...ying/21429801/

Guess how many of those incidents occur in the US each year? Guess how many drone versus aircraft collisions have occurred? 0.0

Oh, and yes there are things that can be done to avoid hail damage.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 PM
franklin_m

[QUOTE=Chris P. Bacon;12233654]I haven't seen anything from you, Franklin, Hydro, speedracerntrixie, or anyone else for that matter prove that law was in effect and applicable to non-commercial sUAS operations at the time the incident occurred.QUOTE]

I provided a link to the eCFR, and below each section is an annotation of when they were enacted and amended, You must have missed it.

830.1 which includes the requirement to report - [60 FR 40112, Aug. 7, 1995] (before the event)

830.2 which defines that aircraft accident includes unmanned aircraft incident as well as establishes the 2nd degree injury criteria - [53 FR 36982, Sept. 23, 1988, as amended at 60 FR 40112, Aug. 7, 1995; 75 FR 51955, Aug. 24, 2010] (all before the event)

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...dno=49;cc=ecfr

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-11-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:39 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:43 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I don't take them too seriously , especially when at least one of them outright admits he's here specifically for the "entertainment value" .
Nope, not at all.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Darn it Franklin , again with the facts that shoot holes in the BS argument that the law wasn't in effect when the incident happened ! How could you go draggin cold hard facts into their little pots twistin' party they're havin here ? Gee , guess they'll have to come up with some OTHER reason why the law don't apply ......
Ya...right. LOL. You're too funny. Were you applying this "law" all along, no doubt you and your club were aware of this and in full compliance right? Say, I must have missed the part where Franklin gave the date this was in effect? 1988...1995, 2010. All very very current. LOL!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

830.1 which includes the requirement to report - 60 FR 40112, Aug. 7, 1995 (before the event)

830.2 which defines that aircraft accident includes unmanned aircraft incident as well as establishes the 2nd degree injury criteria - [53 FR 36982, Sept. 23, 1988, as amended at 60 FR 40112, Aug. 7, 1995; 75 FR 51955, Aug. 24, 2010] (all before the event)
It's 2016....and this is the first time you have brought this up, and feel it's the law of the land as applied to RC aircraft. Isn't that odd timing?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:55 PM
franklin_m

Ya...right. LOL. You're too funny. Were you applying this "law" all along, no doubt you and your club were aware of this and in full compliance right? Say, I must have missed the part where Franklin gave the date this was in effect? 1988...1995, 2010. All very very current. LOL!
But the fact remains they were in effect at the time of the event.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's 2016....and this is the first time you have brought this up, and feel it's the law of the land as applied to RC aircraft. Isn't that odd timing?
Odd, especially since he's been here since November 2005.

Maybe now he'll have a little more time to do is research on 18 U.S. Code § 201. Maybe others can research as well.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:57 PM
franklin_m

So what? The law was in effect.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So what? The law was in effect.
"(1) Any person suffers death or serious injury;"

You still haven't met the criteria for "serious injury".
Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM
franklin_m

Odd, especially since he's been here since November 2005.

Maybe now he'll have a little more time to do is research on 18 U.S. Code § 201. Maybe others can research as well.
You really should read these first. If you had, then you'd notice that a key component of this code is to give something of value in exchange for something:

"...directly or indirectly, corruptly gives, offers or promises anything of value..."

"...being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value..."

"...directly or indirectly, corruptly gives, offers, or promises anything of value to any person, or offers or promises such person to give anything of value..."

"...directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value..."

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/US...-chap11-sec201

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.