Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Our Battles With the FAA Are Not Over!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Our Battles With the FAA Are Not Over!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Lets see if I can hit on all the things posted since i was here last ;

First and foremost , Porcia that link you sent last night is broken or otherwise inoperative .

Franklin , yes I most certainly have posted angry as has every single poster who posts here . Anyone who says they never once have are doing just what Trump calls Clinton ; "Lyin Hillary" ! .... Now , I use this example purposefully because I want to discuss Libel and how it's applied to candidates for elected positions VS the rest of normal society . It would appear that once a person throws their hat in the ring of the "popularity contest" of being elected to any position any and all protections from Libel appear to go out the proverbial window . I have always personally disliked this double standard as I recoil against all double standards but this one seems to get a free pass among society and the system is as the majority appear to want it . Now with that said , that's why I would like it if Mr. Tiano IS planning a run for AMA EC that he would put out a statement of that fact , state his positions and why he thinks he'd be a good fit for the AMA EC , and then let the process of vetting him as a viable option commence . And yes of course , part of that vetting WILL be prior reputation , both good or bad whatever is the predominate viewpoint held by the people in the hobby he's interacted with during his time being involved in it . I will freely admit to knowing absolutely 100% of nothing about the guy either good or bad , and I am willing to listen with an open mind to what the majority opinion is of him and form my own opinion from there .
LoL...I just saw what happened. The name of the website was censored when I sent it to you....lol (amazing). It wasn't FG who I guess we're allowed to say now...but another relatively well known site. I'll figure out something.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:46 AM
franklin_m

Anyone who says they never once have are doing just what Trump calls Clinton ; "Lyin Hillary" ! .... Now , I use this example purposefully because I want to discuss Libel and how it's applied to candidates for elected positions VS the rest of normal society.
You're correct that there are two distinctly different standards for libel, one for private citizens (pretty low threshold) and another for public figures. My understanding though it that the public figure standard, since it has such a high bar, it reserved mostly for people seeking public office or what the courts have decided are "public figures."

It's my understanding that the AMA President position is not a public official or a public figure in the sense of the law.

I was curious so I did a little bit of research. Here's some celebrities that successfully sued for libel. While Mr. Tiano has some notoriety, I don't think it rises to the level of Cameron Diaz, Robin Williams, Kiera Knightley, Sharon Stone, etc.

http://www.insidecounsel.com/2014/11...d-slander-case
Old 07-28-2016, 07:48 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is Franks statement: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...president.html
Old 07-28-2016, 07:50 AM
rcmiket

Ah the RCU AMA forum , gotta love a place that reeks of the freshly roasted bones of yet another candidate for AMA office ....

Who was the last one dragged over the coals ? Horrace Cain maybe ?

Well , I'll have to go read what Mr. Tiano brings to the table , I figure , lookin at some of the people around here that are so dead set against him , he can't be all THAT bad !
Last I heard Horace had some health issues not sure if Frank would even be intrested.
Mike
Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Last I heard Horace had some health issues not sure if Frank would even be intrested.
Mike
Frank is most definitely interested, he's already began his campaign, just not "officially". He's having friends and supporters post up for him. I think Init's reference to Horrace was regarding the last campaign.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
You're correct that there are two distinctly different standards for libel, one for private citizens (pretty low threshold) and another for public figures. My understanding though it that the public figure standard, since it has such a high bar, it reserved mostly for people seeking public office or what the courts have decided are "public figures."

It's my understanding that the AMA President position is not a public official or a public figure in the sense of the law.

I was curious so I did a little bit of research. Here's some celebrities that successfully sued for libel. While Mr. Tiano has some notoriety, I don't think it rises to the level of Cameron Diaz, Robin Williams, Kiera Knightley, Sharon Stone, etc.

http://www.insidecounsel.com/2014/11...d-slander-case
Thanks, I'm very familiar with the standards. Tiano absolutely qualifies as a public figure, even if he didn't promote his flying events and his companies as much as he has over the past 20 years.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM
TimJ

I started a thread for Frank. Go check it out.

Can we get back on topic for this thread?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Good idea, apologies for getting off track, even tangentially.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 AM
TimJ

All of us do it. I just think the original topic is an important discussion point. More so than who is running for office.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yup, agree. Although I think things are going to be quite on the AMA v FAA front for a little while, but not to the point we need to take our eyes off the ball. The next prez is going to have to hit the ground running with a game plan.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yup, agree. Although I think things are going to be quite on the AMA v FAA front for a little while, but not to the point we need to take our eyes off the ball. The next prez is going to have to hit the ground running with a game plan.
Less than four years. Two years will be peaceful then Amazon will come out of the woodwork after they've trail blazed through the U.K.'s airspace.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by TimJ
Less than four years. Two years will be peaceful then Amazon will come out of the woodwork after they've trail blazed through the U.K.'s airspace.
It won't just be Amazon. Everyone will want a piece of the action. WalMart, FedEx, UPS, etc. are just going to sit back and watch Amazon take over.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
It won't just be Amazon. Everyone will want a piece of the action. WalMart, FedEx, UPS, etc. are just going to sit back and watch Amazon take over.
Correct as usual....Walmart just announced the purchase of jet.com in order to compete head to head with Amazon. Cha Ching.....
Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Truth! And it will spell more problems for us.