Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Statement - Didn't even MENTION John Taylor!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Statement - Didn't even MENTION John Taylor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
10+ years ago model airplanes were not regulated, and FAA saw no need to regulate them. FAA did see a need to regulate drones. Rich, representing AMA, and pretending to represent all modelers, participated in the Advisory and Rulemaking Committee for sUAS,intended to be a forum for stakeholders in drone operations, industry, etc. to discuss, prioritize, and resolve issues, provide direction for U.S. UAS operational criteria, support the NextGen Implementation Plan, and produce U.S. consensus positions for global harmonization. In the course of that meeting, the bases for the degraded freedom to enjoy model aviation ensued:

* Model aircraft regulation is now a fact of life, by FAA and by proxy AMA
* Our model aircraft and the hobbyists that operate them now carry a stigma in the public perception that is earned by irresponsible drone operators
* AMA no longer represents, or even recognizes, aircraft modeling modelers that are not dues-paying members
* AMA member's dollars are being spent on a cyclic schedule of lobbying tied to FAA Re-authorization, ostensibly to protect our right but apparently aimed at enhancing AMA's monopoly control over the privilege of operating a drone subtype formerly known as a model aircraft

Tell the people formerly flying in proximity to an airport we haven't lost anything. For that matter tell me that not losing anything is a reasonable goal for any organization. Is a zero sum game the best we can expect from AMA? If AMA had walked away from the sUAS ARC, we would in all likelihood have no regulation at all, just the advisory AC 91-57 as sufficed in the preceding 3 decades, and possibly an organization that looked out for the interests of modelers rather than empire building motivations that apparently have devolved to schemes for fiscal survival.

Back to your opening question, I will still enjoy flying model airplanes, whatever AMA and the pols in their pockets have and will come up with, as long as I'm physically able. I wish the same could be said for my grandchildren.
Concur with Mike. Excellent post. Since AMA stuck their nose into this, in my opinion as a way to stem a decade long slide in constant year revenue dollars, it's been worse rather than better. And in today's video they're now openly saying that they view the law requires membership. And why do they think this is good? To prevent 336 from becoming a get out of jail free card.

Well, if AMA was so concerned about safety and get out of jail free cards, why did they allow a large chartered club in PA to draw so much attention that courts shut them down? AMA "knew or should have known" that club and its members were regularly violating the AMA's beloved "code" by repeatedly overflying non-participants on private property, private farms, livestock, and farm employees. Yet AMA did nothing.

They're not in it for safety, it's all about the money.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:39 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Do you think, that if not for the efforts of the AMA, that you would enjoy the same flying rights that you did 10 years ago?

We haven't lost anything, about the only thing different was registration, that took 2 minutes and cost 5 bux for 3 years (less than my dog). Other than that, you're doing what you've been doing and thats not a happy accident, thats the result of the efforts of Rich and the AMA.
You just can't see the forest for the trees, can you? Keep drinking the KOOL-AID! I believe that with the proper people and approach, the AMA could (SHOULD) have successfully protected its membership from ANY FAA or other regulations. That's what we pay them for........

The last MAJOR thing the AMA did (IMO) to help the entire membership, was to advocate for protecting our frequencies........that was a while ago.......

Regards,

Astro
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Contact your Congressman and Senator's DC offices, ask for staffer working Transportation committee issues. Point them to multiple places where the CBO is now openly talking about how the law requires membership. The latest was just today.
Missed that got a link?

Mike
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Missed that got a link?

Mike
Mike, I think Franklin was referring to the 6/27 webcast that can be found at Academy of Model Aeronautics - Government Relations
Old 06-29-2017, 04:45 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Mike, I think Franklin was referring to the 6/27 webcast that can be found at Academy of Model Aeronautics - Government Relations
Thanks I missed that. I'll have to take some time and check it out.

Mike
Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

There's only 1 CBO and that requires you to be a member to acknowlege the safety code.
Why do you have to be a member to acknowledge the safety code?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 PM
PatrickCurry

What they are saying is if you want to fly under 336 you need to abide by a CBO's rules. There's only one CBO that meets the criteria, and even the criteria the FAA sets forth says its a "membership based organization...."
So it's a membership based organization, but I still don't understand how you have to be a member to abide by their rules.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
PatrickCurry

Originally Posted by astrohog
You just can't see the forest for the trees, can you? Keep drinking the KOOL-AID! I believe that with the proper people and approach, the AMA could (SHOULD) have successfully protected its membership from ANY FAA or other regulations. That's what we pay them for........
I have to agree with this. With all the squirming the AMA has done, I'm reminded of the old saying, "Playing both sides against the middle." I'm still debating whether I will renew this year and if I do it will ONLY be to remain a member of my club, which of course, requires AMA membership.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

When you join AMA you sign that you agree to abide by the safety code, thats what the AMA considers "within their programming" not simply reading the safety code.

Also membership allows you to sign up for email alerts for TFR's and other educational content
Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 AM
franklin_m

The law already requires you to follow the code, so attesting to AMA that you'll follow the same code is irrelevant. As to their "programming," AMA can and does say that THEY believe that to be within their programming you have to be a member. Ok. But that's no different than me BELIEVING that you do not. Why? Well, simply put the AMA has zero authority to enforce in the nation's airspace. Who does? FAA. And they've said that they do not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336(a)(2) as requiring membership in a CBO. Just follow the guidelines, which as I said the law already requires. A copy of that interpretation is attached.

So if the agency with enforcement authority for that law says you don't have to be a member, what AMA believes is, as I said earlier, immaterial.

You can check TFRs (and other NOTAMS) directly yourself - and I encourage you to. If you want websites where you can retrieve much better and more thorough information that AMA provides, PM me and I'll send you some.
Attached Thumbnails FAA Interpretation of PL11295S336A2_Redacted.pdf  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:00 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by PatrickCurry
I have to agree with this. With all the squirming the AMA has done, I'm reminded of the old saying, "Playing both sides against the middle." I'm still debating whether I will renew this year and if I do it will ONLY be to remain a member of my club, which of course, requires AMA membership.
The only operational reason to be a member of AMA is if you want to fly at a chartered club, at one of their events, or if a municipality requires it.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:27 AM
PatrickCurry

That makes sense to me about the TFR's and NOTAMs..... if I fly, it is my responsibility to know what's going, not the AMA's. Just like I don't have to join AAA to be responsible for knowing the laws of the road when I drive. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand how being a member of the AMA makes me a more responsible flyer. When all is said and done, if I am *forced* to join the AMA, that will never happen. I will shred my membership card and mail it back to them along with a letter stating my opinion on the matter.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM
BarracudaHockey

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you want to fly under the protections of 336 then you need to comply with 336 including flying under the safety programming of a CBO

Otherwise you get certified and fly under 107

At this time there's only one CBO and that CBO says you need to be a member to be under their programming.

Personally I support the AMA because they are the reason there is a 336 and an option to fly that doesn't require a difficult certification exam.

Note that other users here disagree with that interpretation, thats fine for him but not accurate as I read the law
Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 AM
franklin_m

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you want to fly under the protections of 336 then you need to comply with 336 including flying under the safety programming of a CBO ... Otherwise you get certified and fly under 107
This is a false choice. The only part of the law that mentioned "...within the programming" is PL112-95 Section 336(a)(2). And the agency that decides whether you're complying with it or not, from an enforcement standpoint, is the FAA. And as shown above, the FAA does not interpret it as requiring membership. So even if you're not a member of a CBO, you can still fly under Section 336.

Note that other users here disagree with that interpretation, thats fine for him but not accurate as I read the law
Others disagree? Keep in mind that "others" includes none other than the FAA. For they said, and I quote, "The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO."

So despite what AMA "believes," or despite what someone thinks is accurate "as they read the law," the agency who's opinion does matter is the FAA. And the FAA has said you do not have to be a CBO member to comply with The Special Rule for Model Aircraft, PL112-95 Section 336 / 14 CFR 101.41.

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:17 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess that puts THAT myth to rest!

...And we're back to crickets.........

Astro
Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

how do you get a turbine waiver without joining? CBO programming requires passing a test. what about getting a LMA "permit". CBO programming requires a signed off inspection
Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mr_matt
how do you get a turbine waiver without joining? CBO programming requires passing a test. what about getting a LMA "permit". CBO programming requires a signed off inspection
You're right, if you want to fly turbines or sUAS greater than 55lbs, AMA has you by the throat. The former because the safety code says you'd follow the turbine rules, and the latter because the law requires CBO inspection if over 55lbs.

But if you're content with EDFs (which perform quite well) and don't have a need to fly >55lbs, you don't have to be a member.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think most people that fly turbines are AMA members because almost any flying site they can operate from will require AMA. That being said I would bet if a bunch of options opened up where AMA was not
required there would be a lot of turbines flyers that would not be AMA members.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:08 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by ira d
I think most people that fly turbines are AMA members because almost any flying site they can operate from will require AMA. That being said I would bet if a bunch of options opened up where AMA was not
required there would be a lot of turbines flyers that would not be AMA members.
Did you notice that AMA waived speed limits at their big upcoming event? I wonder if they're not getting enough interest and had to do something to increase participation?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 AM
BarracudaHockey

As usual you only have part of the information.

Or like the media, you're only disseminating that part which makes the pronouncement more dramatic
Old 08-23-2017, 04:34 AM
franklin_m

As usual you only have part of the information.

Or like the media, you're only disseminating that part which makes the pronouncement more dramatic
Are they not waiving the rule for their own event? Please grace us with an explanation of how this is NOT an example of "do as we say, not as we do."