Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Crickets....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Crickets....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 04:13 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Wouldn't do me any good, don't have a FB account, nor do I want one
Originally Posted by astrohog
Your stock just went up in my book. Facebook......the scourge of society.......

Astro
Yep, still lookin for that *%#^ missing like button........
Old 03-15-2022, 05:12 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Wouldn't do me any good, don't have a FB account, nor do I want one

So let me get this straight, your crying because AMA doesn’t keep you informed, your not a member and you cut yourself off from any media outlets that could have the information you seek. Your also too lazy to search for this information yourself but will spend hours on RCU arguing with guys you’ve never met.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:25 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
It's simple really, if for what ever reason you're not getting an answer one way then simply turn it around and ask from the opposite direction. I don't know how much simpler I could make it for you. That you read some kind of ill will in that line of thought, you may need to adjust your tinfoil helmet.
Ill will? Who said anything about ill will? hint: only you........empty words.

Originally Posted by Propworm
How many clubs have got any kind of exemption for altitude? Don't know, won't disclose, none of your business, what ever the reason, no definitive answer to your question. So going the other way has any club been refused an exemption and what were the reasons might give an indication if it's worth the effort. Sometimes a partial answer is all you're going to get, so try a different direction instead of whining about it.
Whining? Who said anything about whining? Hint: only you.......more empty words.

Have you even tried your district rep?
I tried the AMA rep on this forum that has joined the conversation, but he doesn't respond with direct answers. Miket says he has tried multiple channels and has received no answers. I have no reason to doubt him, do you?

Could it be your district rep is the one ignoring you.
Why would ANY elected rep ignore their constituents questions? Isn't that their JOB? Nobody forced them to run, they chose to SERVE. You act as if AMA reps are some kind of special beings that are to be worshipped like Gods. Is that why you pander to them? You think they may teach you the secret handshake and you may become part of their exclusive club?

After all, your rep is the first one you're supposed to ask these type of questions of.
. REALLY? I guess I missed that section in the AMA handbook! LOL We have an AMA rep on this thread that has offered vague information, I asked him for clarification. No answer, no explanation. Not very professional or becoming for a rep of a, "by members, for members" organization.

Not many organizations disseminate the organization's business on an open form. Some organizations have none disclosure clauses that limit the type and scope of information which may be disclosed on forums like this one.
Lame. This type of information is not proprietary, and there is no reason for it not to be public knowledge. Speedy said essentially the same thing and would not answer as to what reasoning there may be for that info. to be kept private, or on a, "need to know" basis. Keep typing your words, they mean nothing and don't fool anyone here, they just serve as a waste of time. It's too bad you can't provide anything useful with all those words.

Astro
Old 03-15-2022, 06:34 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Does it though? Astro has already stated that his clubs have not applied for a higher altitude limit. A couple of my local clubs haven’t either. It would appear that they feel that flying above 400’ is not required by the bulk of their members. Certainly it affects pattern, IMAC, Jets and some giant scale but realistically those are the minority in most clubs.
To state that the apparent reason those clubs have not applied is because they feel that flying above 400' is not required by the bulk of their members is absolute speculation on your part and simply does not make it so. To use that as a basis to discredit Hydro's post, or to bolster yours is ridiculous, as you don't have any evidence that is actually the case.

Astro
Old 03-15-2022, 06:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

To state that the apparent reason those clubs have not applied is because they feel that flying above 400' is not required by the bulk of their members is absolute speculation on your part and simply does not make it so. To use that as a basis to discredit Hydro's post, or to bolster yours is ridiculous, as you don't have any evidence that is actually the case.

Astro
So would stating that the AMA is not publishing a list of clubs with higher altitude limits because they have something to hide. Thankfully I don’t need to discredit Hydro, he doses a pretty fair job of doing that on his own.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:01 PM
astrohog

So would stating that the AMA is not publishing a list of clubs with higher altitude limits because they have something to hide.
Excuse me? Where did I say that?

Just more of your made up statements......

For you to claim you want to have adult conversations and then completely misquote what I have said to deflect from your baseless claims is not a good start. And you wonder why these threads derail....

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 03-15-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, Astro, he was quoting me. Several posts back, I threw out the suggestion that the AMA seems to like things kept secret and speculated that they had something to hide. Then again, when you look at the meeting minutes that don't really say anything and the financial statements that are made to sound fine, even though there's mounting information to the fact that the AMA is fiscally bleeding to death, it kind of shows things are same ol same ol.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:39 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

For sake of argument, I'm going to Florida in May. I want to take a plane with me to the area I'm heading to. If I look up flying clubs in the district that covers Florida, I could find out if I would be altitude restricted or not. Alternately, I could google R/C flying clubs in the city in Florida I'm going to and find out the same thing just by looking at the club's website. Quick and easy, no needing to make phone calls or jumping through any of the other hoops you seem to deem necessary. And for the record, I do have a security clearance and know how the "need to know" works. If a club is so afraid of someone finding out they have a waiver that lets people fly over 400 feet, they can just lock the doors and shut down since I don't see the need to go to that club if they are that secretive. I have better ways to spend my time and money than to have to beg for information before going to a club that doesn't want me there to begin with.
For the sake of argument as your not an AMA member you wouldn't be welcome to fly anyways.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:42 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow one post from Franklin and the Minions have perked up LOL
Old 03-16-2022, 02:59 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me get this straight, your crying because AMA doesn’t keep you informed, your not a member and you cut yourself off from any media outlets that could have the information you seek. Your also too lazy to search for this information yourself but will spend hours on RCU arguing with guys you’ve never met.
OK. I'm Leader Member and they don't keep us informed. Used to be a timely emails letting us know what was happening and information that we could share with our club members at meetings. I can't remember the last rime I received anything.. Harville did respond to my inquiry if I get his permission I'll share it here.

Mike
Old 03-16-2022, 04:03 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Propworn
Wow one post from Franklin and the Minions have perked up LOL
Yep, you and Speedy have more posts than anyone since Franklin posted. LOL
Old 03-16-2022, 05:31 AM
speedracerntrixie

Excuse me? Where did I say that?

Just more of your made up statements......

For you to claim you want to have adult conversations and then completely misquote what I have said to deflect from your baseless claims is not a good start. And you wonder why these threads derail....

Astro
Try to keep up with the conversation in its entirety.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:34 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yep, you and Speedy have more posts than anyone since Franklin posted. LOL

BFD, it wasn’t too long ago you boasted the fact that you have been on RCU 10 years longer than I in order to support your comments. Did you forget that too?
Old 03-16-2022, 06:00 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
OK. I'm Leader Member and they don't keep us informed. Used to be a timely emails letting us know what was happening and information that we could share with our club members at meetings. I can't remember the last rime I received anything.. Harville did respond to my inquiry if I get his permission I'll share it here.
Mike, that's really interesting. I suppose it boils down to three possible explanations: they can't, they won't, or they don't have anything to share.

I can't speak to which of these individually, or combination of them, are the reason ... but it does not bode well. Anything in the "can't" category would be something that points to ineffective communication message or methods. Given the money they spend on staff, one could rightfully ask what is all that money buying? Anything in the "won't" category would be something that points to leadership culture at Taj-Muncie; the unwashed masses aren't important enough to be kept informed. And anything in the "don't have anything to share" to me would point to effectiveness, or lack of it, in the efforts. We've all seen how EC members won't provide straight answers about exactly how many panels have been held, how many clubs have received altitude waivers (vs. how many have asked), and what those waivers were as compared to what they could do before or what LAANC allows. Similarly, in the government affairs "report," we see language that touts "multiple" panels held, but total absence of hard numbers. To me, this all points to exceptionally slow pace and/or lack of effectiveness (again for the $$ we pay for staff).
Old 03-16-2022, 06:12 AM
astrohog

Try to keep up with the conversation in its entirety.
LOL. Well, you DID quote me……

Astro
Old 03-16-2022, 06:15 AM
astrohog

BFD, it wasn’t too long ago you boasted the fact that you have been on RCU 10 years longer than I in order to support your comments. Did you forget that too?
Not even remotely related to what I posted. LOL

I’m done. Same old, same old with you…

Astro
Old 03-16-2022, 07:08 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Mike, that's really interesting. I suppose it boils down to three possible explanations: they can't, they won't, or they don't have anything to share.

I can't speak to which of these individually, or combination of them, are the reason ... but it does not bode well. Anything in the "can't" category would be something that points to ineffective communication message or methods. Given the money they spend on staff, one could rightfully ask what is all that money buying? Anything in the "won't" category would be something that points to leadership culture at Taj-Muncie; the unwashed masses aren't important enough to be kept informed. And anything in the "don't have anything to share" to me would point to effectiveness, or lack of it, in the efforts. We've all seen how EC members won't provide straight answers about exactly how many panels have been held, how many clubs have received altitude waivers (vs. how many have asked), and what those waivers were as compared to what they could do before or what LAANC allows. Similarly, in the government affairs "report," we see language that touts "multiple" panels held, but total absence of hard numbers. To me, this all points to exceptionally slow pace and/or lack of effectiveness (again for the $$ we pay for staff).
Ya know I'm done worrying about it anymore. I do what I can do and blow off the rest. I'm interested to see just how this whole FRIA deal works out , I'm guessing clubs will be responsible for filling out all the forms hopefully with guidance from the AMA. The National Association of Rocketry does a great job as far as that's concerned , that's why I mentioned it here , maybe the AMA needs to look at how they guide clubs in order to obtain altitude waivers.. < But what do I know..

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/

Mike
Old 03-16-2022, 07:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It is my understanding that the AMA will be requesting FRIA status on behalf of the clubs. I believe it will be easier to manage through a single point.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:57 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It is my understanding that the AMA will be requesting FRIA status on behalf of the clubs. I believe it will be easier to manage through a single point.
Last I heard they were going to assist clubs. I haven't heard anything since but time will tell. I pulled this off the AMA site today. .

"FRIA: Recreational fliers can fly at fixed sites that have been named as a FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIA). The process to apply for FRIA status for flying sites has not yet started. The final rule states that this process will begin in September 2022. At this time, the requirements to be approved as a FRIA are unknown, so we are unsure which sites will be approved. As the time nears and we find out more information, we will inform our members of next steps."

Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 03-16-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:01 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
That's not a surprise, they pretty much have to do that given the way the final rule is written:

"§ 89.205 Eligibility.
Only the following persons are eligible to apply for the establishment of an FAA-recognized identification area under this subpart:
(a) A community-based organization recognized by the Administrator.
(b) An educational institution, including primary and secondary educational institutions, trade schools, colleges, and universities. (emphasis added)"

Quoted section is explicit; ONLY CBOs recognized by the administrator are eligible. It does not say "CBO chartered" organizations or any such language that points to the club rather than the CBO itself. Ironically, that will make AMA responsible for attesting to the accuracy of the information. I just hope they're ready to play in the big leagues, as the consequences for their legendary administrative lack of discipline will now have real consequences (lying on federal forms is a felony).
Old 03-16-2022, 09:56 AM
fliers1

Last I heard they were going to assist clubs. I haven't heard anything since but time will tell. I pulled this off the AMA site today. .

"FRIA: Recreational fliers can fly at fixed sites that have been named as a FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIA). The process to apply for FRIA status for flying sites has not yet started. The final rule states that this process will begin in September 2022. At this time, the requirements to be approved as a FRIA are unknown, so we are unsure which sites will be approved. As the time nears and we find out more information, we will inform our members of next steps."

Mike.
THE FAA AND UAS industry are currently working to implement the Remote ID requirement that is scheduled to take effect in September 2023.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:24 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by fliers1
THE FAA AND UAS industry are currently working to implement the Remote ID requirement that is scheduled to take effect in September 2023.
The remote ID taking effect is Sept. 23. The FRIA application process is supposed to start in Sept. 22.

Mike
Old 03-16-2022, 11:19 AM
fliers1

The remote ID taking effect is Sept. 23. The FRIA application process is supposed to start in Sept. 22.

Mike
Thanks for straightening that out for me. My bad.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:50 AM
franklin_m

So as the AMA is going to do all the applications, per BC above, an interesting consequence is that AMA will now be the focus of any complaints that are passed to FAA. All along AMA has been loathe to enforce it's own rules, let alone the FAA's. As a result of their efforts, they may well have ... one again ... proven themselves too smart by half.

FAA will I'm sure be happy to forward complaints to AMA initially. And if AMA continues it's passive approach to compliance, they will be handing the FAA reason to go to Congress and say "See, this self regulation via CBOs is not working..."

So AMA got what it asked for, unfortunately they thought about only the step in front of their nose. They didn't think three, four, fives steps down the line
Old 03-16-2022, 12:54 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So as the AMA is going to do all the applications, per BC above, an interesting consequence is that AMA will now be the focus of any complaints that are passed to FAA. All along AMA has been loathe to enforce it's own rules, let alone the FAA's. As a result of their efforts, they may well have ... one again ... proven themselves too smart by half.

FAA will I'm sure be happy to forward complaints to AMA initially. And if AMA continues it's passive approach to compliance, they will be handing the FAA reason to go to Congress and say "See, this self regulation via CBOs is not working..."

So AMA got what it asked for, unfortunately they thought about only the step in front of their nose. They didn't think three, four, fives steps down the line
Keep in mind that you claimed the knowledge test would include things such as reading sectional charts and have many things in common with full scale tests and that the FAA would NEVER allow the AMA to administer the test. Your predictions don’t have a great track record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.