Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

For your NPRM Response...s.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

For your NPRM Response...s.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 06:55 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm thinking of (for >0.55lb):in class G no higher than 100 feet below class E w/ altitude telemetry and transmitter alarm only, in controlled airspace up to ATO approved limit w/ same telemetry required.
While this is easier for modelers to implement than Remote ID, I don't think the FAA will approve it. This excerpt from the Executive Summary makes clear what the FAA is expecting from Remote ID:

The remote identification framework would provide UAS-specific data, which could be used in tandem with new technologies and infrastructure to facilitate future, more advanced operational capabilities (such as detect-and-avoid and aircraft-to-aircraft communications that support beyond visual line of sight operations) and to develop the necessary elements for comprehensive UAS traffic management (UTM).
Altitude encoding telemetry can only be received by the transmitter, and only improves the situational awareness of the operator. It can't be received by other aircraft for collision avoidance. It can't be used by law enforcement to catch violators. And without an Internet connection it can't be used to separate UNMANNED traffic using "detect and avoid".

Maybe the FAA would buy this if only applied up to a certain weight limit, say 2kg? And only if the models were flown at certain known locations. Not club fields, but suitable open spaces such as city parks? This could be used to establish a SECOND CATEGORY of PUBLIC FRIAs, where Remote ID will not be necessary because commercial unmanned traffic could avoid them? Call them "CAT B FRIA" or something.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grognard
While this is easier for modelers to implement than Remote ID, I don't think the FAA will approve it. This excerpt from the Executive Summary makes clear what the FAA is expecting from Remote ID:
The remote identification framework would provide UAS-specific data, which could be used in tandem with new technologies and infrastructure to facilitate future, more advanced operational capabilities (such as detect-and-avoid and aircraft-to-aircraft communications that support beyond visual line of sight operations) and to develop the necessary elements for comprehensive UAS traffic management (UTM).
FAA is pragmatic, if they can get 90% of what they want: collision avoidance (through lower altitudes, telemetry, and required response to alarms) to buy time for producers to develop add on equipment that achieve RemoteID strategy; or FRIAs that eventually go away all together in favor of RemoteID strategy; and avoid putting the FAA in the legally tenuous positon of a rule requiring membership in a PRIVATE dues collecting organization to access PUBLIC airspace; I think they'll go for it.

I suspect FAA is no fan of AMA. Any number of AMA EC's own comments indicate such, so anything that provides reasonable and defensible alternatives to AMA's proposed FRIA idea would likely fall on welcome ears. There's specific talking point phrases I think the FAA seeks in comments, and I intend to try and provide them.

But you clearly feel differently. Feel free to advocate why FAA should force 800,000 non-CBO members to join a PRIVATE organization ( "forced association" under the law ) in order to enjoy a privilege in the public airspace, feel free.

And while you're at it, perhaps you could propose something that would be analogous for manned aircraft, namely require membership in AOPA to operate from all but a minority of airports across the country. I suspect putting it in those terms will surely garner the FAA's support and convince them that forcing membership in AMA is a good move.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

FAA is pragmatic, if they can get 90% of what they want: collision avoidance (through lower altitudes, telemetry, and required response to alarms) to buy time for producers to develop add on equipment that achieve RemoteID strategy; or FRIAs that eventually go away all together in favor of RemoteID strategy; and avoid putting the FAA in the legally tenuous positon of a rule requiring membership in a PRIVATE dues collecting organization to access PUBLIC airspace; I think they'll go for it.
I believe that it is technically impossible to use the current form of altitude encoding telemetry for collision avoidance purposes. The signal is so weak that the collision would be over before an avoidance maneuver could be initiated.

If you have different information...
Old 01-24-2020, 12:04 PM
franklin_m

I believe that it is technically impossible to use the current form of altitude encoding telemetry for collision avoidance purposes. The signal is so weak that the collision would be over before an avoidance maneuver could be initiated.

If you have different information...
I said 90% of what FAA wants. The altitude info, combined with an operational limit, ensures the operator knows how high they're flying and then will be warned (and expected to take action in response to that warning) .... keeping them below the 400 / LAANC much more reliably.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:07 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

I said 90% of what FAA wants. The altitude info, combined with an operational limit, ensures the operator knows how high they're flying and then will be warned (and expected to take action in response to that warning) .... keeping them below the 400 / LAANC much more reliably.
The Remote ID NPRM does not set or change any altitude limits. The idea of Remote ID is to make THREE DIMENSIONAL position information available. In fact Limited RID requires lat/long coordinates but not an altitude measurement from the UA, since it's supposed to limit itself to 400' distance from the operator.

So this isn't even 10% of "what the FAA wants".
Old 01-24-2020, 03:20 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Competition and giant scale are a microscopic position of the 1.1 MILLION registrations, in fact they’re small minority of even the AMA’s 200,000 member minority of recreational sUAS operators. To get a policy that opens up BILLIONS in commerce, jobs, and secondary industries, while preserving recreational sUAS for the overwhelming majority of registrants is a pragmatic approach.

I'm thinking of (for >0.55lb):
in class G no higher than 100 feet below class E w/ altitude telemetry and transmitter alarm only, in controlled airspace up to ATO approved limit w/ same telemetry required. FRIAs open to all citizens equally as condition of designation, if insurance “required” then charge amount no greater than amount proportional to that portion of CBO membership dues expensed to insurance (per AMA IRS 990s about 18% or $14), and ALL other money collected from users SHALL be used ONLY on direct expenses in support of a specific FRIA and no greater than the proportion of AMA member dues spent DIRECTLY on FRIAs (right now, about 0.67% of your dues, or about $0.46 out of your $75).

So AMA gets to control the FRIAs, get reimbursed for insurance no greater than what they're spending on insurance from members dues, get money to use FRIAs proportional to what AMA spends directly on FRIAs. This way non-CBO members are paying their "fair share" in exact same proportion to what CBO members are paying to use FRIAs. Non-CBO members are not forced to support competitions, conferences, record attempts, large staff in Muncie supporting all that, plus travel, lobbying, or magazines. If CBO members want that stuff, they can pay for it. All non-members want is ability to use FRIA. They shouldn't be forced to pay a penny more for that than what AMA is DIRECTLY spending on the same for their FRIAs. A small management and administration fee would be allowed, fortunately Federal Acquisition Regulations provide a framework for that, even for contracts with non-profits!

One last piece to figure out, that is fee structure for local clubs that are NOT on public land. Easier if they're 501c3s as they're accountable to non-members via tax filings that ALL money collected is spend directly on maintenance and operation of the FRIA. For groups that are not 501c3, I'll need to figure out how they are accountable for spending all money collected directly on maintenance and operation of the FRIA.

So out of that 1.1 million you know exactly how many of those are competitive pilots? I'd love to see those numbers. And while we are at it let's take a look at some of the people that will be hit the hardest without FRIA sites. Keep in mind that this is just a very small fraction of the money that will be lost when you make these airplanes obsolete.

Average cost of each pattern airplane is $7,000

Other end of the flight line

Average cost of each sailplane $4,000

Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Keep in mind that this is just a very small fraction of the money that will be lost when you make these airplanes obsolete.
Relevance?
I am pretty sure the FAA could care less that a few folks have thou$ands tied up in their toy airplanes. If it is any consolation, they can still hang them on the ceiling and enjoy them that way (except for the pattern planes, they are fugly!).
Astro
Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
Relevance?
Actually the FAA was required to consider "loss of use" in their cost estimate for the proposed rule. I don't have the patience to look right now, but I believe they based their estimates on two cheap drones per user. Maybe if they'd bothered to gather more relevant information they'd have reached different conclusions?

It might interest you to know that career Federal employees at the GS-14 level and above are required to file annual financial disclosure statements, and divest themselves of any financial interest that might cause the appearance of conflict of interest. That means senior level FAA people working this issue would have had to sell their stock in drone or model airplane companies (diversified mutual funds excepted), and maybe had to sell any drones or planes they personally owned. That virtually guarantees that people approving the NPRM language (if not lower-level writers) were unfamiliar with the subject matter they were regulating.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:03 PM
speedracerntrixie

I think the FRIA sites are the FAA's way of dealing with that. The FRIAs are used to give time for industry to develop low cost ID devices.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:07 PM
astrohog

Actually the FAA was required to consider "loss of use" in their cost estimate for the proposed rule. I don't have the patience to look right now, but I believe they based their estimates on two cheap drones per user. Maybe if they'd bothered to gather more relevant information they'd have reached different conclusions?
I don't believe it would move the bar significantly. As Franklin mentioned, there are a relative few of us that have a significant amount of dollars invested.

Astro
Old 01-24-2020, 07:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

It's too bad we don't have numbers on that, I think you would be surprised. It's not unusual for some guys regardless of if they fly jets, giant scale, sailplanes or pattern to have $15,000 to $25,000 invested. Doing the math and splitting the difference it only takes about 100 guys to reach $1M. 1,000 guys which is perfectly plausible hits the $100M mark. Not exactly small potatoes.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

It's too bad we don't have numbers on that, I think you would be surprised.
Yeah, I just queried Quicken on my computer and found out I spent over $7,000 in three years. And my biggest plane is a 64 inch wingspan. I was surprised.

Good thing my wife doesn't read the forum...
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 PM
astrohog

1,000 guys which is perfectly plausible hits the $100M mark.
And then you divide that by 1,000,000 (approx. total numbers of modelers, AMA members + FAA registered non-members) and you get.....drum roll........small potatoes! ($100.00/ea.)

The FAA wouldn't consider an average burden of $100 as extreme, and they certainly won't single out the 1,000 people that may have a somewhat significant amount invested and change the rule for them, just doesn't work that way.

Astro
Old 01-25-2020, 07:04 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

And then you divide that by 1,000,000 (approx. total numbers of modelers, AMA members + FAA registered non-members) and you get.....drum roll........small potatoes! ($100.00/ea.)

The FAA wouldn't consider an average burden of $100 as extreme, and they certainly won't single out the 1,000 people that may have a somewhat significant amount invested and change the rule for them, just doesn't work that way.

Astro
Tiny flaw with your math in that you assumed 999,900 guys with NOTHING invested. Even the FAA assumed $100 - $200 "loss of use" for those whose equipment could not be modified and would not have FRIA access. Take away FRIAs and both the affected numbers and the costs go up astronomically. Maybe there are only 100 guys over $10000, but the next 1000 might be $5000 - $10000, the next 10,000 might be $2000 - $5000, and so on.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:28 AM
speedracerntrixie

Exactly, spin it however way you wish but $100M worth of obsolete models is still $100M regardless of how many guys absorb the loss. THE DOLLAR AMOUNT DOESN'T CHANGE!!!!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:33 AM
astrohog

Tiny flaw with your math in that you assumed 999,900 guys with NOTHING invested. Even the FAA assumed $100 - $200 "loss of use" for those whose equipment could not be modified and would not have FRIA access. Take away FRIAs and both the affected numbers and the costs go up astronomically. Maybe there are only 100 guys over $10000, but the next 1000 might be $5000 - $10000, the next 10,000 might be $2000 - $5000, and so on.
Well......maybe.....maybe......maybe.......We can debate maybe all day long to no avail. Even assuming your HIGHEST numbers, it averages out to a few hundred dollars per modeler. That does NOT constitute an unreasonable burden as far as the FAA is concerned.

But you are right. You always are, never mind the facts! LOL

Astro
Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 AM
astrohog

Exactly, spin it however way you wish but $100M worth of obsolete models is still $100M regardless of how many guys absorb the loss. THE DOLLAR AMOUNT DOESN'T CHANGE!!!!
Except the FAA won't be making their decision based on the total dollar amount. They will evaluate what a reasonable burden to the individual might be. A few hundred dollars is not enough to raise an eyebrow!

Astro
Old 01-25-2020, 11:04 AM
speedracerntrixie

Except the FAA won't be making their decision based on the total dollar amount. They will evaluate what a reasonable burden to the individual might be. A few hundred dollars is not enough to raise an eyebrow!

Astro

Please elaborate on how you know what criteria the FAA will be using, if it's just your opinion maybe you should state so and not pass your opinion off as fact. Goose/gander right?
Old 01-25-2020, 11:06 AM
RCUer75345
Banned

They will evaluate what a reasonable burden to the individual might be.
No, the trouble is they're NOT considering individuals. They are confusing "average burden" with "burden on the average UAS user".

There are no "average" users. An average is simply a mathematical yardstick. Let's say you calculate the "average burden" as $500. Now go find me all the guys who have exactly that much, plus or minus $20, invested in their UAS. I'll bet the number will be very small.

And they absolutely should account for even a small number of users who will be hit especially hard.

Last edited by RCUer75345; 01-25-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:42 AM
speedracerntrixie

I can think of one very small group (3.5% ) that has been getting all sorts of legal accomidations/protections in the last 20 years.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...eople-are-gay/
Old 01-25-2020, 11:47 AM
franklin_m

Please elaborate on how you know what criteria the FAA will be using, if it's just your opinion maybe you should state so and not pass your opinion off as fact. Goose/gander right?
If one believes that FAA is or should be concerned about a one time shelving of a couple million in equipment, then one must also believe they will be MORE concerned about $60 million or more (if add club fees) EVERY YEAR as a result of forced CBO membership by folks who are currently not members!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 AM
astrohog

No, the trouble is they're NOT considering individuals. They are confusing "average burden" with "burden on the average UAS user".
I don't think they are confused, I think that is what they are using for their criteria.

There are no "average" users. An average is simply a mathematical yardstick. Let's say you calculate the "average burden" as $500. Now go find me all the guys who have exactly that much, plus or minus $20, invested in their UAS. I'll bet the number will be very small.
I think you are confused thinking that they won't use averages. Do you think they care about the few outliers?

And they absolutely should account for even a small number of users who will be hit especially hard.
Maybe they should, but they almost certainly won't, and that is just the cold hard reality, no matter how you feel.

Astro
Old 01-25-2020, 12:05 PM
astrohog

I can think of one very small group (3.5% ) that has been getting all sorts of legal accomidations/protections in the last 20 years.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...eople-are-gay/
If you think the Feds will give modelers the same considerations as that group, you are sadly mistaken. Not to mention, that group outnumbers us roughly 5 to 1, even though they represent a relatively small 3.5% of the population.

Astro
Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM
speedracerntrixie

It was more in reference to out of the bloated 1M regestered users, there are more then 3.5% of the 1M that stand to lose >$10,000 in investments. However I fully understand that your default setting is " prove Speedy wrong ". Too bad, this whole mess IMO has been created by closed minds, sad to see you in that category.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 PM
astrohog

It was more in reference to out of the bloated 1M regestered users, there are more then 3.5% of the 1M that stand to lose >$10,000 in investments. However I fully understand that your default setting is " prove Speedy wrong ". Too bad, this whole mess IMO has been created by closed minds, sad to see you in that category.
LOL. You don't know me from Adam, yet you are making personal asessments again! If you want to make good decisions, you must remove the emotions and look at the cold, hard, facts. I choose to base my opinions and decisions based on facts, you choose yours on what will suit you, or what you FEEL is fair. Sorry, but the world just doesn't work that way. Not my rules. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.