Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Covid-19, Sanctioned Events, & Aging Demographic

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Covid-19, Sanctioned Events, & Aging Demographic

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 06:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
As of this afternoon, the recommendation is to avoid groups of ten or more (note 1). Not sure what state you're in, but many Governors are closing non-essential businesses. Here in PA that includes community groups. Starts tonight for us.

Note 1: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-people-132323

Yet living in an apartment or townhome would have you in closer proximity of 10 or more people then what could be managed at a Soaring contest.

Now before that gets spun, I DID NOT recommend that anyone should ignore the recommendation above, simply pointing out the reality of certain situations.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And that, in a nutshell, is one of the reasons why I WON'T live in an apartment or town home. I prefer to have my home's walls with the required 10 to 15 feet from my property line rather than less than 10 total feet to the next building or 6" at most to the next apartment.
BTW, here's how the gas pumping laws read in Oregon:
The original ban on self-service gasoline was passed in 1951 in Oregon. The state law made it illegal for gas station customers to pump their own gas and mandated $500 fines for stations that violated the law by letting customers pump gas. The law includes justification language explaining that pumping gas can expose customers, including pregnant women and children, to unsafe fumes. It also said customer pumping can be dangerous for novices, can cause spills and can cause discomfort to the elderly.
In 2015, the law was amended to allow stations in rural areas to offer self-service gas between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. This allowed gas stations in sparsely populated areas to remain open 24-hours without providing overnight attendants.
Those modifications were taken a step further starting Jan. 1, 2018. Now, gas stations in counties that have populations of less than 40,000 can offer self-service gas to customers any time. If the station also has a non-automotive retail operation — a snack store, for example — it must keep a gas station attendant on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
All-hours self-serve gas is now allowed in the 15 least populated of Oregon's 36 counties. So attendants are still required at gas stations in Oregon's larger population centers of Portland, Eugene, Salem, Bend and Medford, for example. About 266,000 people live in those counties. Three other counties along the Oregon coast now can offer self-service fueling between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:47 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Yet living in an apartment or townhome would have you in closer proximity of 10 or more people then what could be managed at a Soaring contest.
You do realize there are walls between all those people in an apartment building? And that's quite a bit different than the same number of people being in public setting.

Now before that gets spun, I DID NOT recommend that anyone should ignore the recommendation above, simply pointing out the reality of certain situations.
Never thought you did. It's abundantly clear from POTUS, through CDC, to the Governors, they want us to limit contacts outside the home. And as of yesterday, your Governor (Oregon) ordered cancellation of events with more than 25 people for at least four weeks (note 1). Holding events at all? I think it makes the hobby look bad in the eyes of a population that is already not terribly supportive. "Bad optics" they call it.

Note 1: https://www.kptv.com/news/covid--in-...d23d52443.html

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-17-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:44 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

As of this afternoon, the recommendation is to avoid groups of ten or more (note 1). Not sure what state you're in, but many Governors are closing non-essential businesses. Here in PA that includes community groups. Starts tonight for us.

Note 1: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-people-132323
White House recommendation, not CDC or my State Health Department. I prefer to listen to actual medical professionals for this type of advice. Recall, the WH also said less than 2 weeks ago that this would be over in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:02 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you didn't comprehend the PM your master sent after he was banned the numbers there is my home address as in he was boasting about knowing where I live. That my narrow minded friend is a threat. Since you are one for facts.........FRANKLIN WAS BANNED FROM RCG FOR BEING A TROLL that is FACT and it was for exactly the same behavior that he exhibits here.
I don't care what happened between the two of you on another group. It is not relevant here. PM's ARE personal (it's why they are called PERSONAL messages) and are not visible to the public unless you choose to share them, which I consider childish and in bad taste anyway. It's called etiquette, and etiquette is what helps to keep these discussions civil. Fact is, you continue with the personal attacks and no amount of finger pointing and obtuse "justifications" on your part change that.

By all means, you are entitled to your opinions and this is most certainly the place to publicly share them. If they hold merit, they will stand on their own, if not, be prepared for those with opposing figures and facts to dismantle them. Dismantling one's position with facts is NOT a personal attack.

Astro
Old 03-17-2020, 05:08 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
White House recommendation, not CDC or my State Health Department. I prefer to listen to actual medical professionals for this type of advice. Recall, the WH also said less than 2 weeks ago that this would be over in a couple of weeks.
This is not a matter to take lightly. Unless you've been tested, you cannot assure anyone that you're NOT a carrier. And if you don't follow the President's recommendations, you could well be infecting high risk people. I noted that the following individuals were standing right there alongside POTUS when he made the recommendation:

Dr. Deborah Birx - Physician; coronavirus response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force
Dr. Anthony Fauci - Immunologist & physician; employed by the National Institutes of Health of the United States
VADM Jerome M. Adams, M.D., M.P.H. - Physician; US Surgeon General

And when questioned by the press (see note 1), they did not disagree. In fact, Dr. Brix even used the phrase "...if everybody in America does what we ask for over the next 15 days... (emphasis added)." And what they "asked" was the statement by POTUS - no groups larger than 10.

Now, if you wan to rationalize not following these recommendations, that is your choice I suppose. However, unless you've been tested, you have no way knowing if you are an asymptomatic carrier or not. And those people you contact may be infected as a consequence of your decision .. all because you ignored the recommendation to fly toy planes.

White House Transcript: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ss-briefing-3/
Old 03-17-2020, 05:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Looks like Top Gun got postponed

Old 03-17-2020, 06:13 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

This is not a matter to take lightly. Unless you've been tested, you cannot assure anyone that you're NOT a carrier. And if you don't follow the President's recommendations, you could well be infecting high risk people. I noted that the following individuals were standing right there alongside POTUS when he made the recommendation:

Dr. Deborah Birx - Physician; coronavirus response coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force
Dr. Anthony Fauci - Immunologist & physician; employed by the National Institutes of Health of the United States
VADM Jerome M. Adams, M.D., M.P.H. - Physician; US Surgeon General

And when questioned by the press (see note 1), they did not disagree. In fact, Dr. Brix even used the phrase "...if everybody in America does what we ask for over the next 15 days... (emphasis added)." And what they "asked" was the statement by POTUS - no groups larger than 10.

Now, if you wan to rationalize not following these recommendations, that is your choice I suppose. However, unless you've been tested, you have no way knowing if you are an asymptomatic carrier or not. And those people you contact may be infected as a consequence of your decision .. all because you ignored the recommendation to fly toy planes.

White House Transcript: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ss-briefing-3/

Your referring to the guy who said the virus was a democratic hoax right. Same rocket scientist who said when this first started there were only 15 reported cases and by next week there would only be 5.

And before you go off on me be clear I have the greatest respect for the office of the President of the United States not so much for the guy occupying that space at the moment. Only my opinion of course.

Last edited by Propworn; 03-17-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Propworn
Your referring to the moron who said the virus was a democratic hoax right. Same rocket scientist who said when this first started there were only 15 reported cases and by next week there would only be 5.
Regardless of what he said before, those are the current recommendations of the US coronavirus task force - which as noted above were standing right there when it was made and did not disagree. So if you want to use POTUS prior statements to rationalize attending US events and potentially exposing people (unless of course you've had a negative test), then you are free to make that decision.

But what's interesting is that some are disparaging comments made by POTUS and/or the White House because they are not "medical professionals." But yet we have some of the same folks who are doing that, who themselves are not medical professionals nor have negative tests in hand, deciding to attend events just because they are asymptomatic.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
FYI, some of the AMA FB postings for upcoming events are confusing. Top headline may or may not indicate cancelled, when in fact it may be cancelled.

For example, see how Toledo was modified to clearly show "CANCELLED" in title? However, if you dig into the event listed just above it - marked "Open", you find that it's in fact cancelled. Just recommending ways to improve and simplify messaging.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:10 AM
Propworn

Regardless of what he said before, those are the current recommendations of the US coronavirus task force - which as noted above were standing right there when it was made and did not disagree. So if you want to use POTUS prior statements to rationalize attending US events and potentially exposing people (unless of course you've had a negative test), then you are free to make that decision.

But what's interesting is that some are disparaging comments made by POTUS and/or the White House because they are not "medical professionals." But yet we have some of the same folks who are doing that, who themselves are not medical professionals nor have negative tests in hand, deciding to attend events just because they are asymptomatic.

Last edited by Propworn; 03-17-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:37 AM
Propworn

Old 03-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Propworn

Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 AM
WinterHawke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank,

The name of the event is the "Jim Richmond Open".

It's had that name for many years.

Lee McD
Old 03-17-2020, 09:57 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

Postponed sure beats canceled . Here in Massachusetts the 124th running of the Boston Marathon has been postponed till September .

Anyone been to the supermarket lately ? Pretty soon we'll all be like poor Beavis here .....

Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I walked into Walmart about 20 minutes ago, they had a limit of 1 per customer but they had TP and paper towels. 5 minutes later I was out the speedy check out with that and a few other things I needed.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I had two errands to run yesterday:
1) get my studded tires off of my truck, Les Schwab took care of that in less than 30 minutes
2) pick up some milk and a pack of toilet paper.
  • Walked into Walmart, no milk(at least the brand the wife wanted and very limited store bands) and many shelves were empty, only had four partial cases of 12 count Charmin toilet paper in the entire store. Store also was only running three checkers, one normal line, one express line and one person covering self check out
  • Walked into Winco, no toilet paper but had some milk. Again, many shelves were totally empty
Kind of shows how people panic for no reason. If people weren't hording things, the stores would be stocked and supplies of basic items would be more than sufficient. Instead, the stores are slammed, basic items are out of stock and there is no reason for any of it
Old 03-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Propworn

Looks like the US car plants are considering shutting down. Means Canadian plants will be down for lack of supplies and or places to ship stuff. With any luck I can get the time to self isolate myself in the shop. Two weeks or more just puttering doing what I love to do. I'll get to feel what its like to be retired.

Finish putting the solar system on the camper n the genny box on the front of the truck. Hey the wife n I can self isolate wilderness camping.

Last edited by Propworn; 03-17-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:49 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Discussion of politics is against the forum rules.

Astro
Old 03-17-2020, 01:00 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by WinterHawke
Frank,
The name of the event is the "Jim Richmond Open".
It's had that name for many years.
Lee McD
I thought that might be the case, my point was that for all but those most familiar, the word "open" can be misinterpreted. I felt the far better approach is the one labelled "CANCELLED" right at the top "headline" level. Don't have to go digging for info that's buried several comments down after you open the main post.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-17-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Propworn

I know a few isolated pieces of crown land pretty easy to get to. Clear cut i have flown from them before. Load up the camper n trailer, extra gas n water, shotgun, rifle, targets. After all its general use land. Once I get set up i can text my gps coordinates to a few friends maybe we can get together . A self isolated comunity of sorts.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:55 PM
franklin_m

We're very well stocked ... so I went to the shooting range. Had the place to myself. If that closes, I'll just drive out to my cabin.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:20 PM
Propworn

I dont fly combat any more but they do make hard to hit moving targets LOL
Even the ladies enjoy taking a turn. Makes me wonder if there is a hidden meaning there.LOL
Old 03-17-2020, 04:15 PM
R_Strowe

I thought that might be the case, my point was that for all but those most familiar, the word "open" can be misinterpreted. I felt the far better approach is the one labelled "CANCELLED" right at the top "headline" level. Don't have to go digging for info that's buried several comments down after you open the main post.
The FedEx Open, Jim Richmond Open, The US Open, The French Open,etc. By your reasoning, they should be advertised now as The FedEx CANCELLED, The Jim Richmond CANCELLED, The US CANCELLED, The French CANCELLED, etc. Come on, really? People don't know what an "Open" is? "Open' is part of the name. Jeesh!

There is a saying, 'You can't fix stupid'. Maybe that should apply here.

R_Strowe
Old 03-17-2020, 07:06 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
The FedEx Open, Jim Richmond Open, The US Open, The French Open,etc. By your reasoning, they should be advertised now as The FedEx CANCELLED, The Jim Richmond CANCELLED, The US CANCELLED, The French CANCELLED, etc. Come on, really? People don't know what an "Open" is? "Open' is part of the name. Jeesh!

There is a saying, 'You can't fix stupid'. Maybe that should apply here.

R_Strowe
The word "CANCELLED" in the title makes it abundantly clear. Why make people wade through all the comments to determine status? Unless one wants to make it difficult just to make it difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.