Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 09:43 PM
R_Strowe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Astro,

I’m sorry, but it is you who are playing childish games here. If there is a viable insurance option, that is information we’d all like to know.

At this point I’m done here. I stayed away for quite a long time, and thought that maybe, just maybe, things here might have simmered down and gotten reasonable. All I see are little petty games played by yourself and others.

And if this comes across as a personal attack, well I think we know who the snowflake really is....

R_Strowe
Old 03-09-2021, 10:11 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Astro,

I’m sorry, but it is you who are playing childish games here. If there is a viable insurance option, that is information we’d all like to know.

At this point I’m done here. I stayed away for quite a long time, and thought that maybe, just maybe, things here might have simmered down and gotten reasonable. All I see are little petty games played by yourself and others.

And if this comes across as a personal attack, well I think we know who the snowflake really is....

R_Strowe
No games here at all. I told you all what I know. If I had the name of the insurance company, I would've posted it. I don't know how much clearer I could have been.
When you guys don't get an easy button answer, I am called a liar and various other names, par for the course. If you are truly interested in insurance, you will find it. Do you guys really think a policy can't be found? That the AMA has some magical spell and ability to purchase a commercially available policy that nobody else can? What do you think SFA had lined up? How about the PMA? C'mon guys, use your common sense and put forth a little more effort than sending a couple of e-mails.

Astro
Old 03-09-2021, 11:19 PM
BaltimoreBomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW.
Now the nostalgia is really flowing. I stumbled onto this thread after wondering if the AMA experience I had as a kid, that chased me out of the hobby 30 years ago, was just a fluke, Apparently not. All those old men in the late 80's passed on the traits I saw back then very well to the current group of people in control. I was actually researching clubs (quite gingerly) for the spring as I have returned to the hobby. But I will cease and desist after reading this thread.

If anyone cares, here is my bad experience with the local AMA club which no longer exists.
I had very good building skills for my age. Built and flew 2 glow planes in the late 80's, around my preteens. I joined the local club, they gave me the runaround for a full 8 months (of paying dues and doing countless hours of free labor, which nobody else showed up for.)
I was never allowed to get my gear out of the car. every weekend I showed up, ran and talked to the "elders" they said no, I stayed and sent my gear back home with my parents.. FOR 8 MONTHS. stayed 6-8 hours every day i was there because i was gullible and told someone would come with a buddy box and give me stick time, or somebody would be introduced to me that would at least maiden my plane (even though I had been flying a year already.) They took total advantage of me. At the end it was heated, nasty arguments when my parents dropped me off or picked me up and i said nope not this time either.
Finallymy father put his foot down. "maiden his plane at least".So after all that, two weekends later and right before winter, they got someone to "check out andmaiden" my plane. a
pt-40 with an enya .40 they made me get, as an official trainer can only be used for training. I had put over a hundred flights on it. It looked like an old lawn mower brown stained on top from gallons of nitro and green on the bottom from my back yard.
They go over it for an hour. Check and recheck. fires right up. taxis around. Guy1 takes it up. flies beautifully. no adjustments. touch and goes, even some slow rolls and inverted, empties the tank in the air and brings it in dead engine. Now i dont like whats happening. They are talking and here comes pop pop senior man on the ground. Hes talking it down cause its dirty. We cant have dirty old planes in this club he said. I said "ive been flying it all summer. I only got it to join this club because you guys told me to..." I could see the red creep up his neck.
He said to the guy that flew it first "let me check it out". HEs the boss. guy1 says refuel it so he can check it out. So i do. No problem. get it running and everything. fresh battery.
Pop pop senior takes it straight up. proceeds to wide open throttle "3D acrobatic" stunt my plane as hard as it will go. less than 2 minutes later he stalls it doing some trick, doesnt make it back to the runway, smashes it into low trees at the end of the property. Sets my radio down without a word and walks to his car and eats a sandwich like nothing happened.
It was FOR SURE out of spite. Last time i ever had any dealings with the AMA until I read this thread.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:01 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by BaltimoreBomber
WOW.
Now the nostalgia is really flowing. I stumbled onto this thread after wondering if the AMA experience I had as a kid, that chased me out of the hobby 30 years ago, was just a fluke, Apparently not. All those old men in the late 80's passed on the traits I saw back then very well to the current group of people in control. I was actually researching clubs (quite gingerly) for the spring as I have returned to the hobby. But I will cease and desist after reading this thread.

If anyone cares, here is my bad experience with the local AMA club which no longer exists.
I had very good building skills for my age. Built and flew 2 glow planes in the late 80's, around my preteens. I joined the local club, they gave me the runaround for a full 8 months (of paying dues and doing countless hours of free labor, which nobody else showed up for.)
I was never allowed to get my gear out of the car. every weekend I showed up, ran and talked to the "elders" they said no, I stayed and sent my gear back home with my parents.. FOR 8 MONTHS. stayed 6-8 hours every day i was there because i was gullible and told someone would come with a buddy box and give me stick time, or somebody would be introduced to me that would at least maiden my plane (even though I had been flying a year already.) They took total advantage of me. At the end it was heated, nasty arguments when my parents dropped me off or picked me up and i said nope not this time either.
Finallymy father put his foot down. "maiden his plane at least".So after all that, two weekends later and right before winter, they got someone to "check out andmaiden" my plane. a
pt-40 with an enya .40 they made me get, as an official trainer can only be used for training. I had put over a hundred flights on it. It looked like an old lawn mower brown stained on top from gallons of nitro and green on the bottom from my back yard.
They go over it for an hour. Check and recheck. fires right up. taxis around. Guy1 takes it up. flies beautifully. no adjustments. touch and goes, even some slow rolls and inverted, empties the tank in the air and brings it in dead engine. Now i dont like whats happening. They are talking and here comes pop pop senior man on the ground. Hes talking it down cause its dirty. We cant have dirty old planes in this club he said. I said "ive been flying it all summer. I only got it to join this club because you guys told me to..." I could see the red creep up his neck.
He said to the guy that flew it first "let me check it out". HEs the boss. guy1 says refuel it so he can check it out. So i do. No problem. get it running and everything. fresh battery.
Pop pop senior takes it straight up. proceeds to wide open throttle "3D acrobatic" stunt my plane as hard as it will go. less than 2 minutes later he stalls it doing some trick, doesnt make it back to the runway, smashes it into low trees at the end of the property. Sets my radio down without a word and walks to his car and eats a sandwich like nothing happened.
It was FOR SURE out of spite. Last time i ever had any dealings with the AMA until I read this thread.

I sent you a pm
Old 03-10-2021, 02:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

So did I
Old 03-10-2021, 04:41 AM
R_Strowe

I as well.

R_Strowe
Old 03-10-2021, 05:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

WOW.

Very sorry to hear you had this experience. Please keep in mind that if you go to McDonalds and they blow up your order and treat you like crap, that not every McDonalds is the same and the one down the street might offer a completely different experience.. That's clearly the case here and if you were a member of my club (even the one in Maryland where I lived a while back) you would be welcomed and encouraged.

What you encountered certainty isn't the norm and that is representative of only that club and those people, not the AMA as a whole.

I sincerely hope you give it another go.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:39 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
I as well.

R_Strowe
Sent you pm
Old 03-10-2021, 06:25 AM
astrohog

WOW.

Your story is relatable and has been told by many over the years. I find it remarkable how many times we hear this same experience related by folks from clubs that are hundreds or thousands of miles apart. As I stated earlier in this thread, it is the individual clubs' responsibility to decide how they reach out and look to the community in which they reside. There is really no AMA oversight to the individual clubs, so in these instances, it is just a misguided club (of which I believe there are quite a few), not necessarily the AMA.

I hope you are able to return to and enjoy this hobby without the drama and politics you experienced when you were a young lad!

Astro
Old 03-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Very sorry to hear you had this experience. Please keep in mind that if you go to McDonalds and they blow up your order and treat you like crap, that not every McDonalds is the same and the one down the street might offer a completely different experience.. That's clearly the case here and if you were a member of my club (even the one in Maryland where I lived a while back) you would be welcomed and encouraged.

What you encountered certainty isn't the norm and that is representative of only that club and those people, not the AMA as a whole.

I sincerely hope you give it another go.
It may not be the norm (though you couldn't prove that by me), it does happen far too often. I've seen it more than once.

It's going to happen. That's just human nature. But it shouldn't.
Maybe, just maybe the AMA could do something to encourage better behavior from clubs. Then again, that might require some proactive changes.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:57 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Retiredat38
It may not be the norm (though you couldn't prove that by me), it does happen far too often. I've seen it more than once.

It's going to happen. That's just human nature. But it shouldn't.
Maybe, just maybe the AMA could do something to encourage better behavior from clubs. Then again, that might require some proactive changes.
What changes do you suggest?

I've written columns about treating new visitors to clubs properly. I even show up to clubs on weekends or events with no AMA logos or industry shirts, to see how I'm treated as a visitor, and in the very few instances I have either been ignored or snubbed, and its happened a couple times, I have sat down with or had a phone conversation with the club board and encouraged them to clean that up a little. Not everyone wants to be the Walmart greeter at their club but it doesn't take much effort to be nice.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:12 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
No games here at all. I told you all what I know. If I had the name of the insurance company, I would've posted it. I don't know how much clearer I could have been.
When you guys don't get an easy button answer, I am called a liar and various other names, par for the course. If you are truly interested in insurance, you will find it. Do you guys really think a policy can't be found? That the AMA has some magical spell and ability to purchase a commercially available policy that nobody else can? What do you think SFA had lined up? How about the PMA? C'mon guys, use your common sense and put forth a little more effort than sending a couple of e-mails.

Astro
astrohog's insurance claim is nonsense. He can't name the company, what the policy covers or how much it costs.
He can't even keep his story straight as to who has the policy, the club or the land owners. Totally worthless blathering.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:25 AM
fliers1

I've written columns about treating new visitors to clubs properly. I even show up to clubs on weekends or events with no AMA logos or industry shirts, to see how I'm treated as a visitor, and in the very few instances I have either been ignored or snubbed, and its happened a couple times, I have sat down with or had a phone conversation with the club board and encouraged them to clean that up a little. Not everyone wants to be the Walmart greeter at their club but it doesn't take much effort to be nice.
Newbies are sometimes treated differently than veteran pilots.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:36 PM
ECHO24

FAA registrations are down by over 50%:
https://www.uavexpertnews.com/2021/0...plummet-by-50/

Whatever percentage of traditional model flyers that includes, it doesn't bode well for the hobby. The bigger picture concerns Remote ID.

The largest block of those not registering are among the 1,000,000 plus drone owners, the same group who's disregard for any rules is responsible for
Remote ID in the first place. These are the same people who won't bother with a remote ID module, and for the same reason as always, it's nearly
impossible to get caught flying a drone illegally (it's us saps who will be forced to comply due to model aircraft being easy to track back to the operator
during take off and landing).

Right now there are two versions of Remote ID: Standard, where Remote ID is integrated and the aircraft cannot take off without it, and an add-on
module where anyone can go fly without if they don't feel like turning it on. Voluntary Remote ID will last about as long as the first couple of inevitable
high profile incidents where a Remote ID module was not equipped or turned off.

The drone crowd won't have to worry. Drone manufacturers are already making drones with integrated Remote ID. They might then be visible, but they
will still be able to get aircraft. The outlaws will continue, of course, but the FAA is finally cracking down with big fines and criminal penalties.

Traditional RC planes and helicopters, on the other hand, can't be manufactured with integrated, tamper proof Remote ID because of their modular nature,
nor is there a big enough market for anyone to bother even if it was possible. As the FAA stated in the NPRM, they view model aircraft as becoming obsolete
over time. Outside of AMA fields, we are going to be grounded before long.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:06 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by echo24
we are going to be grounded before long.
news flash! Lol
Old 03-11-2021, 12:01 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.................................................. ..............
Well, since you have to ask.
The first thing I'd do is FIRE your backside.
And any other EC member who appears unable or unwilling to see what needs to be done and do it.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:19 AM
franklin_m

Dave Scott wrote about these problems. You've clearly seen these problems. Other AMA leaders have written about them. Each time, it's been "please be nice," kind of approach. Yet the problems continue. At what point do you stop doing more of the same and hope for a different result. Maybe instead of Hanson insulting all non-members and calling them rogues, he should be calling out clubs that aren't welcoming. Unambiguous statements like "If that is how you treat new members, you are contributing to the decline of the hobby."
Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 AM
BarracudaHockey

Frank, I realize you're from the "yes sir" culture.

That doesn't always work with everyone. There are subtle ways to encourage compliance and I use what's at my disposal.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 AM
ECHO24

news flash! Lol
Try something intelligent instead of quoting out of context. The news flash is FAA registrations are down by over half.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:26 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Try something intelligent instead of quoting out of context. The news flash is FAA registrations are down by over half.
Try responding without including personal attacks. It only serves to erode whatever your stance is.

My response covers your entire post. You have been here for a year, this decline has been happening for a long time. If you had bothered to read some history here, you will see that some of us warned the AMA nearly a decade ago that the drone craze (like any other craze) would hit a peak and then decline. It is no surprise that FAA registrations are down, nor is it a surprise that AMA membership has been on a decline, or that the hobby in general is on the decline as witnessed by the beforementioned stats and the fact that we have lost many hobby-based manufacturers and retailers in recent years.

Astro
Old 03-11-2021, 07:29 AM
ECHO24

Try responding without including personal attacks. It only serves to erode whatever your stance is.

My response covers your entire post. You have been here for a year, this decline has been happening for a long time. If you had bothered to read some history here, you will see that some of us warned the AMA nearly a decade ago that the drone craze (like any other craze) would hit a peak and then decline. It is no surprise that FAA registrations are down, nor is it a surprise that AMA membership has been on a decline, or that the hobby in general is on the decline as witnessed by the beforementioned stats and the fact that we have lost many hobby-based manufacturers and retailers in recent years.

Astro
I don't bother with the multi-point comment dissections astrohog is so fond of. Much like the half sentence he quoted from my post,
they are about as useful to the original as gazing at several colors of paint poured in a bucket and swirled around, and just an excuse
to ramble on by this preening idiot.

I've been around RC a lot longer than a year, you condescending fraud.

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-11-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:48 AM
astrohog

I don't bother with the multi-point comment dissection's astrohog is so fond of. Much like the half sentence he quoted from my post,
they are about as useful to the original as gazing at several colors of paint poured in a bucket and swirled around, and just an excuse
to ramble on by this preening idiot.

I've been around RC longer than a year, you condescending fraud.
Again with the personal attacks. How does that contribute anything of substance to this conversation?

Astro
Old 03-11-2021, 08:14 AM
ECHO24

My last post at RCGroups (that brought out the AMA attack dogs) concerned AMA's NPRM response. After the FAA dropped the hammer AMA panicked
and tried backtracking on drones. After years of chasing drones with sponsorships and AMA logos plaster on any drone or FPV event they could find,
drone and (illegal) long-range FPV tutorials on their website, etc., etc., AMA in their NPRM response stated in writing "AMA members only fly LOS".

At a certain point it's time to cut to the chase, I called that bold face lie what it was, a lie. That's where I'm at with astrohog. He has contributed
nothing original or useful that I can find, just long-winded editorializing. Sorry, not at my expense.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM
R_Strowe

My last post at RCGroups (that brought out the AMA attack dogs) concerned AMA's NPRM response. After the FAA dropped the hammer AMA panicked
and tried backtracking on drones. After years of chasing drones with sponsorships and AMA logos plaster on any drone or FPV event they could find,
drone and (illegal) long-range FPV tutorials on their website, etc., etc., AMA in their NPRM response stated in writing "AMA members only fly LOS".

At a certain point it's time to cut to the chase, I called that bold face lie what it was, a lie. That's where I'm at with astrohog. He has contributed
nothing original or useful that I can find, just long-winded editorializing. Sorry, not at my expense.
I could be wrong, but I don't think AMA has ever endorsed anything but LOS. Which was and still is inline with the current FAA regs.

Now, it is debatable whether the AMA should have gone after the MR crowd, but I would suggest that is a different argument.

With regards to Astro, you'll get no argument out of me.

R_Strowe
Old 03-11-2021, 09:54 AM
BarracudaHockey

The only FPV flying that AMA has supported as far as I know is with a spotter that can see the MR visually.

BLOS has never been a supported activity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.