Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:39 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO24
You posted their launch page on RCGroups, December 13, 2019. They haven't been heard from since.
Maybe they couldn't get insurance.

People here were looking for information on how to find an insurance company for our hobby. Or maybe they were afraid of getting sued by AMA. Who knows. Just would have to ask them.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
People here were looking for information on how to find an insurance company for our hobby. Or maybe they were afraid of getting sued by AMA. Who knows. Just would have to ask them.
You've got 3 people here saying how easy it is to get cheap insurance for an RC club, but none can say where.

I filed out some quote forms online (recreation and outdoor sports). The only one who called back was Veracity Insurance.Nothing for RC flying clubs and the agent had no idea where to find such a policy.
Long story short, before pitching the idea of clubs leaving AMA first do some research.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:10 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by Retiredat38

That said, thanks to the proliferation of both recreational and commercial MR Drones, sources of insurance abound. One can get personal liability, site liability and hull coverage that will even cover a crash. And it is ALL primary coverage unlike the AMA products. You can get this by the day, month and year. Pay for only the time you're actually flying. Less than 5 minutes on your smart phone, tablet or PC will activate or deactivate your coverage for the dates, times and locations you so designate.
astrohog is talking about flying field insurance for clubs wanting to leave AMA. What you're referring to is individual insurance.

Here's one -

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-04-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:11 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got 3 people here saying how easy it is to get cheap insurance for an RC club, but none can say where.

I filed out some quote forms online (recreation and outdoor sports). The only one who called back was Veracity Insurance.Nothing for RC flying clubs and the agent had no idea where to find such a policy.
Long story short, before pitching the idea of clubs leaving AMA first do some research.
Apparently you failed to read my post above that stated there probably wouldn’t be a “canned” RC policy. You might have to actually go visit your local insurance company of choice and talk to them in person, discuss what you would like coverage on and potentially wait for their actuary to crunch the numbers.

Astro
Old 03-04-2021, 05:42 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by astrohog
Apparently you failed to read my post above that stated there probably wouldn’t be a “canned” RC policy. You might have to actually go visit your local insurance company of choice and talk to them in person, discuss what you would like coverage on and potentially wait for their actuary to crunch the numbers.

Astro
I'm not going anywhere. You're the one claiming your club has a private policy. What's the name of the company?
Old 03-04-2021, 05:47 PM
ECHO24

It doesn't exist.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:42 PM
R_Strowe

astrohog is talking about flying field insurance for clubs wanting to leave AMA. What you're referring to is individual insurance.

Here's one -
I took a look at those as well. Concerning the hourly rate, I’d spend roughly $70-$80 per weekend. Consolidating to the monthly plan, the average would be around $125/month. And obviously the annual is $500 per year on up.

AMA is $75 per year, and if I add my club dues of $40/month, that’s $115 annually. Which is considerably less than the above private option.

I’m waiting to hear from Skywatch on how they cover traditional R/C, since their website specifically talks about “drones”, and only has photos of multi-rotors.

RStrowe
Old 03-05-2021, 02:50 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's one -
Sure! And if you bothered to read you'd find that liability coverage for ones client is available. Now I didn't ask if said client can be the landowner but...............Or maybe contact aviation insurance companies about airfield coverage? Or do you believe airports don't have liability coverage?

The fact of the matter is there IS insurance available that isn't via the AMA. Better insurance! This whole sUAS thing is still fairly new and insurance companies like everything else will respond to demand. With some 80% of sUAS recreational operators not belonging to the AMA, I suspect we'll see more options as time goes on.

But it won't happen or at least not as fast as long as people sit on their lazy backsides and do nothing but piss and moan that no one has handed the solutions to them on a silver platter!

Old 03-05-2021, 04:37 AM
franklin_m

Here's one -

Originally Posted by Retiredat38
Sure! And if you bothered to read you'd find that liability coverage for ones client is available. Now I didn't ask if said client can be the landowner but...............Or maybe contact aviation insurance companies about airfield coverage? Or do you believe airports don't have liability coverage?

The fact of the matter is there IS insurance available that isn't via the AMA. Better insurance! This whole sUAS thing is still fairly new and insurance companies like everything else will respond to demand. With some 80% of sUAS recreational operators not belonging to the AMA, I suspect we'll see more options as time goes on.

But it won't happen or at least not as fast as long as people sit on their lazy backsides and do nothing but piss and moan that no one has handed the solutions to them on a silver platter!
The other VERY important point - in the examples provided by ECHO above - is that insurance is PRIMARY. It pays first.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-05-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Our insurance in Canada has always been primary. Yearly dues 80 dollars 7.5 million primary insurance and we only have as has been pointed out 1/10 of your membership. For our 80 bucks we enjoy this coverage even when we fly in the US.
Primary insurance is out there you just have to come up with the premiums.

Last edited by Propworn; 03-05-2021 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
I’m waiting to hear from Skywatch on how they cover traditional R/C, since their website specifically talks about “drones”
Where have you been? Traditional RC ceased to exist when the AMA failed to advocate to the FAA for separation. Hate to be the one to inform you, but you sir, are a drone pilot!

Astro
Old 03-05-2021, 06:19 AM
astrohog

I'm not going anywhere. You're the one claiming your club has a private policy. What's the name of the company?
it doesn't exist
I was the club treasurer at the time we started that policy. As I stated before, It was reasonably priced, was purchased through a Local insurance company, but do not recall who the actual underwriter was. That was a decade ago, sorry I don't remember that minutia. Also, I've had other trolls here, stalk me and my club affiliation in order to harass me, so I wouldn't provide you specifics on a public forum, and unless I knew you personally, I wouldn't give you specifics either. As Retiredat38 noted. It doesn't exist on a silver platter in front of your nose, upon your selfish and crude demand. Now that you've called me a liar and proven that you are just a troll and not interested in obtaining insurance at all, I will refrain from responding to any future posts in order that we maintain the civility and positivity we have been enjoying for a couple of weeks now.

Good day.

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 03-05-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:52 AM
R_Strowe

Where have you been? Traditional RC ceased to exist when the AMA failed to advocate to the FAA for separation. Hate to be the one to inform you, but you sir, are a drone pilot!

Astro
Dealing with some personal matters.

And I do seem to remember, at several points along the process, that the AMA did in fact try to get less restrictive rules through the FAA. Which, in comparison to the NPRM, they did.

And yes sir, I know that in the colloquial we are drone pilots. However, insurance policies are legal documents, and last I checked, legal documents do not rely on ‘colloquialisms’. So I’m simply waiting to hear from this and a few other companies as to whether their (rather expensive) coverage will include all ‘drones’, or just multirotors.

R_Strowe
Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 AM
ECHO24

"I do belong to a group that owns a flying field. We lease it to an AMA chartered club and are quite happy with the arrangements."
"we were able to obtain a private, additional insurance policy that provides coverage at a reasonable cost."
" It only stands to reason that if more clubs were to pursue this, eventually they could group together to get even better volume rates."

All of this is based on something a decade ago, EVEN before 336. We don't know if that club still exists, the field or anything else, but

what for certain does not exist is this supposed club insurance policy at a reasonable cost. That company could be long out of business.

And on that, astrohog is here advocating for clubs to leave AMA. Hogwash.

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-05-2021 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:12 AM
ECHO24

And yes, piecing that together as being in the present is a fabrication and false representation, AKA a lie.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:25 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Dealing with some personal matters.

And I do seem to remember, at several points along the process, that the AMA did in fact try to get less restrictive rules through the FAA. Which, in comparison to the NPRM, they did.

And yes sir, I know that in the colloquial we are drone pilots. However, insurance policies are legal documents, and last I checked, legal documents do not rely on ‘colloquialisms’. So I’m simply waiting to hear from this and a few other companies as to whether their (rather expensive) coverage will include all ‘drones’, or just multirotors.

R_Strowe
SUaS I believe is the official term, there are no longer any differentiations between multi-rotors and fixed-wing. They are all SUaS.

Astro
Old 03-05-2021, 07:29 AM
astrohog

"I do belong to a group that owns a flying field. We lease it to an AMA chartered club and are quite happy with the arrangements."
"we were able to obtain a private, additional insurance policy that provides coverage at a reasonable cost."
" It only stands to reason that if more clubs were to pursue this, eventually they could group together to get even better volume rates."

All of this is based on something a decade ago, EVEN before 336. We don't know if that club still exists, the field or anything else, but

what for certain does not exist is this supposed club insurance policy at a reasonable cost. That company could be long out of business.

And on that, astrohog is here advocating for clubs to leave AMA. Hogwash.
Quit putting words in my mouth....I didn't advocate for anyone to leave the AMA. Those are your own delusions. We've been discussing alternatives to AMA. I said they were out there, you keep moving the goalpost. Your problem, not mine. Please refrain from name-calling and unfounded accusations, they are not conducive to the civil discussion we were trying to have. If you can't behave and think like an adult, please move to the kiddie pool.

Astro
UMMM...policy is still in place........
Old 03-05-2021, 07:30 AM
astrohog

And yes, piecing that together as being in the present is a fabrication and false representation, AKA a lie.
You use a different kind of logic...

Policy is still in place...

LOL
Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 AM
ECHO24

" I will refrain from responding to any future posts"

My reprieve from astrohog's insults and preening didn't last long.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 AM
astrohog

" I will refrain from responding to any future posts"

My reprieve from astrohog's insults and preening didn't last long.
You leave no choice when you continue to post lies and attack my integrity with no basis.

Again, you use strange logic.

Astro
Old 03-05-2021, 07:49 AM
ECHO24

Y

Policy is still in place...
You have no club liability insurance other than AMA.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:06 AM
astrohog

You have no club liability insurance other than AMA.
What club?

Astro
Old 03-05-2021, 08:16 AM
ECHO24

What club?

Astro
"I do belong to a group that owns a flying field... we were able to obtain a private, additional insurance policy that provides coverage at a reasonable cost."
Old 03-05-2021, 08:26 AM
astrohog

"I do belong to a group that owns a flying field... we were able to obtain a private, additional insurance policy that provides coverage at a reasonable cost."
Since you are so convicted, I'll ask you again, what club?

Astro

Old 03-05-2021, 08:32 AM
ECHO24

Since you are so convicted, I'll ask you again, what club?

Astro
"I was the club treasurer at the time we started that policy."

(Watch how this snow-job goes ...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.