Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Membership Growth

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Membership Growth

Old 08-02-2022, 04:05 AM
  #1  
rcmiket
Thread Starter
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Membership Growth

Just got the monthly newsletter from the National Rocketry Association. They mention "Of note, the fastest growing age group in our membership is 18-25 year old" pretty impressive IMO. I wonder just where the growth is ( if any) we have in the AMA?

Mike
Old 08-03-2022, 08:18 AM
  #2  
scottrc
 
scottrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A TREE, KS
Posts: 2,802
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

It does not surprise me. Rockets are fun, cool, use a lot of complex technology and materials, go boom, and both NAR and Tripoli got their acts together many years go with dealing with the government and education all while the AMA was building their own theme park.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:22 AM
  #3  
cyclops2
 
cyclops2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Frenchtown, NJ
Posts: 3,046
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Rockets used to be ARF kits & a tube of glue. Simple, Safer than a spinning prop. Always / usually went in a safe direction. No runways needed.. Yippeee
Old 08-03-2022, 02:22 PM
  #4  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 8,788
Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Rockets are Free Flight yes? What are the FAA regulations regarding free flight model airplanes?
Old 08-03-2022, 02:35 PM
  #5  
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,259
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

We continue to get new members so far 6-7 new this year,,, 2 of which are teenagers,,, it's encouraging,,
Old 08-04-2022, 02:52 AM
  #6  
rcmiket
Thread Starter
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Rockets used to be ARF kits & a tube of glue. Simple, Safer than a spinning prop. Always / usually went in a safe direction. No runways needed.. Yippeee
Mayne not runways but finding places to launch have become a big issue. Little stuff not so much but high powered you need plenty of space and a FAA waiver. That's why our club got involved in rocketry. I've helped more kids over the last few years in rocketry than we have had flying airplanes. Things are only as safe as you make them.

Mike
Old 08-05-2022, 05:31 AM
  #7  
SOPHIAFLYGIRL
Junior Member
 
SOPHIAFLYGIRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Great to see young people getting involved. I've flown since 1987 myself
Old 08-06-2022, 03:52 AM
  #8  
cyclops2
 
cyclops2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Frenchtown, NJ
Posts: 3,046
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

PLEASE PLEASE !!

DO NOT ALLOW RC controls that make the rockets surfaces into guided missiles...... The Danger is unreal if the controls jam & it flies HOROZONTIAL !!!!

Rockets are so simple and fun.

Is there still the National Big Boys Rocket competition ?
Ground control this is flight 222. A missile Just wizzed by. Good old days for unlimited class.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:17 AM
  #9  
rcmiket
Thread Starter
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
PLEASE PLEASE !!

DO NOT ALLOW RC controls that make the rockets surfaces into guided missiles...... The Danger is unreal if the controls jam & it flies HOROZONTIAL !!!!

Rockets are so simple and fun.

Is there still the National Big Boys Rocket competition ?
Ground control this is flight 222. A missile Just wizzed by. Good old days for unlimited class.
This big enough?
https://spaceportamericacup.com/
There are high powered launch's almost every weekend somewhere in the US.

Mike
Old 08-06-2022, 06:04 AM
  #10  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,097
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Rockets are Free Flight yes? What are the FAA regulations regarding free flight model airplanes?
Suggest you read 14 CFR 101.22 (definitions) before commenting. If you'd done that, then you'd already know that FAA regulations regarding "model aircraft" are not applicable to "amateur rockets" - as the latter are regulated under 14 CFR 101 Sub-Part C.

For your convenience:
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-1...ter-F/part-101
Old 08-06-2022, 06:32 AM
  #11  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 8,788
Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Exactly! That is why itís nonsense to compare the organizations that represent them. Thank you for the help pointing that out.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:07 AM
  #12  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,989
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Exactly! That is why itís nonsense to compare the organizations that represent them. Thank you for the help pointing that out.
Just more deflection and wordsmithing...

What really matters is model rockets affect the NAS just as sUAS do. Their respective governing bodies are absolutely comparable.

Another example of defending the AMA....

Astro​​​​​​​
Old 08-06-2022, 07:32 AM
  #13  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 8,788
Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Another example of your attempt to start an argument.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:34 AM
  #14  
rcmiket
Thread Starter
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Exactly! That is why it’s nonsense to compare the organizations that represent them. Thank you for the help pointing that out.

Both represent HOBBYIST. Both answer to the FAA and work with them. Both operate in airspace under the FAA rules. Bot have paying members. So there's more than a number of reasons to compare them. Your argument is flawed that's the only "nonsense".
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-06-2022 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:46 AM
  #15  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 8,788
Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Both represent HOBBYIST. Both answer to the FAA and work with them. Both operate in airspace under the FAA rules. Bot have paying members. So there's more than a number of reasons to compare them. Your argument is flawed that's the only "nonsense".
Mike
Rockets have no guidance control and therefore are not seen as the same threat to national security as a UAS that can be guided to a target.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:50 AM
  #16  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,989
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Another example of your attempt to start an argument.
You say that about anybody that disagrees with you and does not exalt your excellency.

You simply cannot accept others' opinions.

Astro
Old 08-06-2022, 07:53 AM
  #17  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,989
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Rockets have no guidance control and therefore are not seen as the same threat to national security as a UAS that can be guided to a target.
Show me where the FAA says they do not see them as the same threat. Zero facts to back that up. More logical fallacies.....

It matters not. What matters is that they operate in the airspace the FAA controls and they are both regulated by the FAA. Another weak attempt at deflection on your part.

Astro
Old 08-06-2022, 08:43 AM
  #18  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 8,788
Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

I hope people recognize that this thread was perfectly civil until Astro came in. Iím not interested in an argument so I will be the one stepping away.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:46 AM
  #19  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,989
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
I hope people recognize that this thread was perfectly civil until Astro came in. Iím not interested in an argument so I will be the one stepping away.
That is your skewed perception.

Please point out where I was not civil. Anyone whose opinion differs from yours is uncivil?

Astro
Old 08-06-2022, 09:01 AM
  #20  
rcmiket
Thread Starter
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Rockets have no guidance control and therefore are not seen as the same threat to national security as a UAS that can be guided to a target.
LOL> Nice try.
Mike
Old 08-06-2022, 11:10 AM
  #21  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,097
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Exactly! That is why itís nonsense to compare the organizations that represent them. Thank you for the help pointing that out.
Membership growth in the two organizations was the subject of the OP.

It was you that introduced a different topic - wrongly linking operations of amateur rockets to operations of free flight sUAS.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.