Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Rules For Flying Over People and Vehicles

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Rules For Flying Over People and Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 11:48 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rules For Flying Over People and Vehicles

It appears it's legal to fly an unpowered glider over people and vehicles (not loitering).

https://www.suasnews.com/2023/01/u-s...eid=0c805b84d1
Old 01-17-2023, 12:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a surprisingly liberal poilcy.
A 1/2 pound drone could leave a mark if you smacked into one at 60 mph.
My "conspiracy mind" thinks the government wants to justify their own use of drones by law enforcement over densely populated areas.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:58 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If a flyer loses a plane he will go get it, calling out "on the runway" naturally while he is crossing it. Then he looks for the plane in the weeds. This can go on for quite a while at every field I have flown at.
OF COURSE people continue to fly during this. They do not go low over the person searching and watch carefully when he is close in - but they do NOT stop flying.
At the electric field in San Diego where I am a member, there is a bike path a couple of hundred feet out where people go while flyers are in the air. This is no problem and completely customary. Beyond the boat path is Mission Bay (east side) where boaters may be.
This field is on city property and near San Diego International Airport. Civilian and military helicopters are also traversing the area. We must drop down to low altitude while they are going by. This field is under the most rigorous requirements imaginable.
Flying over people with an RC model is no big deal as long as common sense is used. It is completely legal also.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:42 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by allanflowers
Flying over people with an RC model is no big deal as long as common sense is used. It is completely legal also.
Legal or not, you may not be insured. It’s in violation of the AMA safety code. You agree that you won’t fly over unprotected people, vehicles, and property.

The above article is more concerning commercial drones.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:14 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by allanflowers
If a flyer loses a plane he will go get it, calling out "on the runway" naturally while he is crossing it. Then he looks for the plane in the weeds. This can go on for quite a while at every field I have flown at.
OF COURSE people continue to fly during this. They do not go low over the person searching and watch carefully when he is close in - but they do NOT stop flying.
At the electric field in San Diego where I am a member, there is a bike path a couple of hundred feet out where people go while flyers are in the air. This is no problem and completely customary. Beyond the boat path is Mission Bay (east side) where boaters may be.
This field is on city property and near San Diego International Airport. Civilian and military helicopters are also traversing the area. We must drop down to low altitude while they are going by. This field is under the most rigorous requirements imaginable.
The Club Member who is down range looking for his plane does so voluntarily and KNOWING THE RISK.
The 100s of cars and people you willfully fly over with your model.... DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THAT.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:27 PM
aymodeler

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there an actual definition of what lateral separation is required to not be considered flying "over" someone? Common sense would say that if you are 1" laterally away from a person, you are close enough to by considered flying over them, but if you are a mile away laterally, then of course you are not. So where in between these two extremes are you considered to by flying "over" a person?

I'm curious to know if there is an actual FAA definition to this.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:33 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not positive (never been a student of common-sense regulation), but I believe it is 500'.

Astro
Old 01-17-2023, 07:16 PM
aymodeler

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
I'm not positive (never been a student of common-sense regulation), but I believe it is 500'.

Astro
"Common-sense regulation" ... now there is an oxymoron for you
Old 01-17-2023, 09:55 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Legal or not, you may not be insured. It’s in violation of the AMA safety code. You agree that you won’t fly over unprotected people, vehicles, and property.

The above article is more concerning commercial drones.
AMA is not the only CBO. Further, anything the FAA puts out supersedes everything else. Another angle was a discussion on RCGroups about "in transit", that it wasn't actually a violation. As anymodeler says, what does it mean to be "over" someone". It's impossible to prove. Even Remote ID (GPS) is only accurate to within 6'. It is a qualified regulation, no exposed moving parts, meaning props. FAA's interpretation of Remote ID is 124 pages long if anyone wants to dig into it.