Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Flite test ez remote identification

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Flite test ez remote identification

Old 08-05-2023, 07:23 AM
  #51  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,339
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I don't understand why the AMA was initially so secretive and tight-lipped about FRIA's. Seems to me that being granted FRIA status would be the single biggest reason to be an AMA member to come along in decades and that would be impetus for the biggest marketing campaign by the AMA. Maybe I'm weird....

Astro
Old 08-05-2023, 09:20 AM
  #52  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog
I don't understand why the AMA was initially so secretive and tight-lipped about FRIA's. Seems to me that being granted FRIA status would be the single biggest reason to be an AMA member to come along in decades and that would be impetus for the biggest marketing campaign by the AMA. Maybe I'm weird....

Astro

Not that I think you are wrong, I think it would be a great selling point as well. That said, I also think that being granted FRIA status is somewhat clubís business that not all clubs would want publicized. I have in the past been associated with clubs that had the policy that less attention is better. Not saying itís a good policy or not, just that it does exist.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:26 AM
  #53  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Truth? How about AMA expenses exceeding revenue in 13 of the last 20 years, with net loss of over $3 million.

Boy, that EC is doing a great job running the organization ... into the ground!
Thats not new to any of us. The hobby as a whole has been on a steady decline for decades. A quick look into the history of the hobby shows that we have lost dozens of manufacturers. Does AMA need to make changes? Absolutely they do. I have never disagreed with that. Will you ever be able to persuade them to change?

That said, there will always be enough ď core members ď that will provide AMA with enough revenue to survive.


Old 08-05-2023, 09:40 AM
  #54  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Does AMA need to make changes? Absolutely they do. I have never disagreed with that. Will you ever be able to persuade them to change?
And yet even a casual examination of the EC minutes show they consistently do more of the same and hope for a different result. And despite that, acolytes like you continue to vote for them. They don't want to change. They can't even conceive of it.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
That said, there will always be enough “ core members “ that will provide AMA with enough revenue to survive.
In a technical sense, that's true. But what shape/form will that core be? Sooner or later the turbine guys are gonna get fed up with the EC and break off on their own. Much like what happened in the PAC 12 yesterday, there comes a point where groups start leaving rapidly. Especially when the EC keeps a significant amount of funding flowing to "Taj-Munice" - which overwhelming majority of members never use.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:51 AM
  #55  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And yet even a casual examination of the EC minutes show they consistently do more of the same and hope for a different result. And despite that, acolytes like you continue to vote for them. They don't want to change. They can't even conceive of it.


Yet for over a decade now you have been using RCU and RCG as a platform to tell us the same thing over and over and over. Worse yet is the fact that itís not anything that we are not aware of. Hell, 40 years ago guys were complaining about the AMA and we just shrugged our shoulders and carried on. How is you repeating the same thing over and over any different then the AMA doing the same thing over and over, both hoping for a different outcome?


In a technical sense, that's true. But what shape/form will that core be? Sooner or later the turbine guys are gonna get fed up with the EC and break off on their own. Much like what happened in the PAC 12 yesterday, there comes a point where groups start leaving rapidly. Especially when the EC keeps a significant amount of funding flowing to "Taj-Munice" - which overwhelming majority of members never use.

Please show any evidence of the NSRCA, LSF, NMPRA , IMAC or JPO has any intention of abandoning AMA. In fact JPO supports AMA on their home page.


Old 08-05-2023, 01:09 PM
  #56  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Yet for over a decade now you have been using RCU and RCG as a platform to tell us the same thing over and over and over. Worse yet is the fact that it’s not anything that we are not aware of. Hell, 40 years ago guys were complaining about the AMA and we just shrugged our shoulders and carried on. How is you repeating the same thing over and over any different then the AMA doing the same thing over and over, both hoping for a different outcome?
And yet the continue their downward trend. Overhead consuming ever greater percentage of dwindling revenue. Dues increases produce only short term revenue increases. Advertising is cratering. Magazine continues to lose money. I'd predict they'll soon start a desperate search for grants. But who's gonna give huge dollars to an organization with such a declining interest base.

But hey, you're doing your part. You keep CD-ing those events. With event sanctions making up just 5% of their revenue, you've got a lot of work to do.



Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Please show any evidence of the NSRCA, LSF, NMPRA , IMAC or JPO has any intention of abandoning AMA. In fact JPO supports AMA on their home page.
No "Contrails" since 2016. Membership list shows everyone expired in 2016.

Sure looks like it hasn't been updated in years. Of course you checked that first .... or didn't ... apparently.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:28 PM
  #57  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And yet the continue their downward trend. Overhead consuming ever greater percentage of dwindling revenue. Dues increases produce only short term revenue increases. Advertising is cratering. Magazine continues to lose money. I'd predict they'll soon start a desperate search for grants. But who's gonna give huge dollars to an organization with such a declining interest base.

But hey, you're doing your part. You keep CD-ing those events. With event sanctions making up just 5% of their revenue, you've got a lot of work to do.




No "Contrails" since 2016. Membership list shows everyone expired in 2016.

Sure looks like it hasn't been updated in years. Of course you checked that first .... or didn't ... apparently.

And the others? You seem to base all your assumptions on single events. Those jet guys are really organized though aren’t they? LOL

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 08-05-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:43 PM
  #58  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
And the others? You seem to base all your assumptions on single events.
The trends I described are hardly single events, rather the EC has been consistently running the organization into the ground for decades. And I'd point out that up until yesterday, the Pac12 probably thought they were doing fine too ...
Old 08-05-2023, 02:31 PM
  #59  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Pac12 is irrelevant. No comment about NSRCA, LSF, NMPRA and IMAC? Show some basis on your assumption that these SIGs are going to dump AMA.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:19 PM
  #60  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Pac12 is irrelevant. No comment about NSRCA, LSF, NMPRA and IMAC? Show some basis on your assumption that these SIGs are going to dump AMA.
And nobody thought Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Colorado would leave the Pac12 ... until USC & UCLA left.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:35 PM
  #61  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Irrelevant. Show me something tangible if you can.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:45 PM
  #62  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Irrelevant. Show me something tangible if you can.
Tangible?

AMA lost money in 14 of the last 21 years under the wise stewardship of the EC. Net losses over $3 million (so far).
Old 08-05-2023, 04:11 PM
  #63  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Tangible?

AMA lost money in 14 of the last 21 years under the wise stewardship of the EC. Net losses over $3 million (so far).
Thats not evidence that SIGs are going to dump AMA. Dance for me puppet!
Old 08-05-2023, 04:27 PM
  #64  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Tangible?

AMA lost money in 14 of the last 21 years under the wise stewardship of the EC. Net losses over $3 million (so far).
Thats not evidence that SIGs are going to dump AMA. Dance for me puppet!

I actually forgot IRCHA, they recently worked hand in hand with AMA to bring the F3C WC to Muncie. The WC starts next week.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:33 AM
  #65  
ElectriMan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: East Coast of Wisconsin
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

So it will be difficult to decide between Flite Test and Spektrum RID module because they are so much alike, both design and cost.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:49 AM
  #66  
Dick T.
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (243)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,648
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ElectriMan
So it will be difficult to decide between Flite Test and Spektrum RID module because they are so much alike, both design and cost.
Probably coming out of the same Chinese factory so any differences will be negligible. Spektrum and Futaba engineers likely designed their own but once manufacturing begins the back door stuff and copies flow too.

The European designed version advertised in AMA mag had an introductory price around $60.00 but soon went back up around $100.00. That is going to be the price point until sales and/or demand diminish.

Locally a bunch of fellows neither belong to clubs (FRIA) nor will use RID so, as an indicator, I think demand will peter out once the flyers wanting to be legal make purchases.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:08 PM
  #67  
ElectriMan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: East Coast of Wisconsin
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Flite Test is made in USA. Don't know about Spektrum.
They both use the same off the shelf parts that are probably made in Taiwan.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:51 PM
  #68  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Probably coming out of the same Chinese factory so any differences will be negligible. Spektrum and Futaba engineers likely designed their own but once manufacturing begins the back door stuff and copies flow too.

The European designed version advertised in AMA mag had an introductory price around $60.00 but soon went back up around $100.00. That is going to be the price point until sales and/or demand diminish.

Locally a bunch of fellows neither belong to clubs (FRIA) nor will use RID so, as an indicator, I think demand will peter out once the flyers wanting to be legal make purchases.

Thatís exactly what is going to happen. I want to see the look on Franks face when he realizes there will be clubs that wonít apply for a FRIA nor will they require members to use a module.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:52 PM
  #69  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ElectriMan
Flite Test is made in USA. .
Donít count on it.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:09 PM
  #70  
mongo
My Feedback: (15)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 3,491
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Don’t count on it.
something we can easily agree on...

i bet they can't even put the "assembled in the USA" stickers on em.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:10 AM
  #71  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,339
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Donít count on it.
https://www.flitetest.com/pages/ez_id
Old 08-09-2023, 08:24 AM
  #72  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I want to see the look on Franks face when he realizes there will be clubs that wonít apply for a FRIA nor will they require members to use a module.
It wonít be a look of shock thatís for sure. In fact I fully expect it.

But ask yourself what happens when DHS and other similarly less than sympathetic agencies find out about these cases? All it does is hand them a stick to beat both FAA and AMA. And what will DHS et all say?

ďSee, we told you so. Self regulation by AMA doesnít work and the FAAís FRIA option is being abused. So DHS needs additional tools to ensure protection of people and critical infrastructure.Ē
Old 08-09-2023, 08:42 AM
  #73  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by astrohog
Interesting, but I am still somewhat skeptical. For that price I donít think it can be made in the US.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:00 AM
  #74  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,918
Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It wonít be a look of shock thatís for sure. In fact I fully expect it.

But ask yourself what happens when DHS and other similarly less than sympathetic agencies find out about these cases? All it does is hand them a stick to beat both FAA and AMA. And what will DHS et all say?

ďSee, we told you so. Self regulation by AMA doesnít work and the FAAís FRIA option is being abused. So DHS needs additional tools to ensure protection of people and critical infrastructure.Ē
You've been predicting this stick beating for a couple of years now.

All that's happened is LOA's for clubs, altitude waivers via SRM panels, NOTAM's for sanctioned events with altitudes up to 1200 feet, expanded FRIA's from the original rule etc.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:03 AM
  #75  
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)
 
astrohog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,339
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Interesting, but I am still somewhat skeptical. For that price I donít think it can be made in the US.
Interesting. Do you think they are lying? Or trying to deceive us?

Do you have some compelling data to support your statement, or is it just your opinion?

Astro

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.