Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Community outreach program

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Community outreach program

Old 08-27-2023, 06:36 AM
  #1  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Community outreach program

For the second year the Clark County R/C club hosted their Community outreach program. The intent of the program is to introduce the club and its members to the general public in an effort to promote the hobby and educate them on our operations. We had approximately 175 visitors during the 4 hour event yesterday. During that time we had a treasure hunt for kids under 12, buddy box flying, hand toss gliders for the kids, free hot dog lunch and lots of flying demonstrations of multiple types of aircraft. After the flying demonstrations were over we had a huge raffle. Raffle tickets were given at each treasure hunt checkpoint and each person that signed our visitor sheet. These events are made possible through not only the hard work of the club members but through financial assistance from the AMA who contributed the sum of $900.00 to help with expenses.








Old 08-27-2023, 06:38 AM
  #2  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

More pictures.








Old 08-27-2023, 06:40 AM
  #3  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

More.






Old 08-27-2023, 06:47 AM
  #4  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Just a few of the aircraft flown.








Old 08-27-2023, 11:38 AM
  #5  
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,648
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Great job!

Our local power club did a number of like events over the years plus displays at the County Fair and local Malls. Unfortunately our power club is aging/petering out so events like this are no longer in the cards. You now have to buy space at the Fair and Covid decimated the Malls.

Good to see clubs large enough and active enough continue these types of public awareness events.

Again, Great Job!!
Old 08-27-2023, 11:40 AM
  #6  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,918
Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts
Default

Excellent!!!
Old 08-27-2023, 04:12 PM
  #7  
jcmors
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yankton, SD
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Looks like a great time was had by all!
Old 09-01-2023, 03:23 PM
  #8  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Curious, how many new AMA members?
Old 09-01-2023, 04:18 PM
  #9  
TheEdge
My Feedback: (788)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,099
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Awesome to see this, thank you for sharing.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:31 AM
  #10  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Curious, how many new AMA members?
After verification, two people who won turn key airplanes in the raffle signed up on the spot and flew their prizes with the aid of an instructor.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:59 PM
  #11  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
After verification, two people who won turn key airplanes in the raffle signed up on the spot and flew their prizes with the aid of an instructor.
Even if one looks JUST at what the AMA contributed ($900 per your OP above), then that's an acquisition cost of $450 per member. That's pretty steep already, and doesn't include the total cost of the event. But even at $450 per member acquired, that means they'd have to remain members for over 5 years ... just to break even.

Not sure that's a sustainable business model. But then again, based on AMA's financial decision making, I'm not convinced there's a lot of business acumen among the EC.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:41 PM
  #12  
ElectriMan
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: East Coast of Wisconsin
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

deleted.




Last edited by ElectriMan; 09-06-2023 at 06:41 AM. Reason: I was caught up in the troll so I deleted my comment.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:01 PM
  #13  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Even if one looks JUST at what the AMA contributed ($900 per your OP above), then that's an acquisition cost of $450 per member. That's pretty steep already, and doesn't include the total cost of the event. But even at $450 per member acquired, that means they'd have to remain members for over 5 years ... just to break even.

Not sure that's a sustainable business model. But then again, based on AMA's financial decision making, I'm not convinced there's a lot of business acumen among the EC.
First off let me congratulate you on your math wizardly. Now how about some English comprehension. Community Outreach Program is my thread title. Hmmm nothing about membership, otherwise I would have titled the thread “ Membership Drive “. This was about inviting the community to come see what we are all about and to entertain them for a few hours. In otherwise being a good neighbor. Not much different from the BBQ you describe with friends and family as SterlingD, only yours was a fabrication.

But hey, since you like math so much, this club has 130 paid AMA members. That equals $11,050 in AMA revenue. That $900 equates to a whopping $7 refund for each of our members. BFD!

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 09-05-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:58 AM
  #14  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
First off let me congratulate you on your math wizardly. Now how about some English comprehension. Community Outreach Program is my thread title. Hmmm nothing about membership, otherwise I would have titled the thread ď Membership Drive ď. This was about inviting the community to come see what we are all about and to entertain them for a few hours. In otherwise being a good neighbor. Not much different from the BBQ you describe with friends and family as SterlingD, only yours was a fabrication.

But hey, since you like math so much, this club has 130 paid AMA members. That equals $11,050 in AMA revenue. That $900 equates to a whopping $7 refund for each of our members. BFD!
What is the ultimate objective of the event? Be a good neighbor (preserve what you have) or obtain new members (gain)?

As for a refund, can AMA afford to do that ... essentially making conscious decision to reduce the NET money coming in the door? Only time will tell. Though based on the total revenue trends from their IRS filings, I think we have the answer already as to the long term sustainability of their decision making.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:55 AM
  #15  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
What is the ultimate objective of the event? Be a good neighbor (preserve what you have) or obtain new members (gain)?

As for a refund, can AMA afford to do that ... essentially making conscious decision to reduce the NET money coming in the door? Only time will tell. Though based on the total revenue trends from their IRS filings, I think we have the answer already as to the long term sustainability of their decision making.
As for a refund, can the AMA afford NOT to do that. Of course there are different perspectives to any situation, yours just lacks vision.

The intent of the event was to build and maintain good relations with the new neighborhood to our west. As neighborhoods spring up close to flying fields there is always a danger of loosing that site. As expressed earlier this club generates $11,050 in membership dues plus charter fees and several sanctioned event fees each year. The $900 AMA contribution helps safeguard the field that generates revenue in the 12K range for the AMA. Some would call that ď pretty smart ď.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:11 AM
  #16  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
As for a refund, can the AMA afford NOT to do that. Of course there are different perspectives to any situation, yours just lacks vision.

The intent of the event was to build and maintain good relations with the new neighborhood to our west. As neighborhoods spring up close to flying fields there is always a danger of loosing that site. As expressed earlier this club generates $11,050 in membership dues plus charter fees and several sanctioned event fees each year. The $900 AMA contribution helps safeguard the field that generates revenue in the 12K range for the AMA. Some would call that ď pretty smart ď.
Lessening the "danger of loosing" (sic) your field is important due to encroachment (commonly used term when discussing in relation to airports). And that $900 spend vs. $11k in dues makes sense through the soda straw of that single data point. But single data points don't define a trend. And AMA's total revenue and membership revenue trends are unmistakably downward despite isolated examples like yours. Bottom line, is that it's $450 per new member if viewed as an acquisition cost. As for how many members it save? Unknown. How much it lessened the impact and/or desire of neighbors to shut down the field? Also unknown. Probably can't hurt, but that's not a guarantee either. Only time will tell.

But once again, big picture, the AMA's trends are not good, and a hundred events like yours probably aren't going to change that. They haven't in the years prior to this, and thus likely won't in the future either.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:36 AM
  #17  
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)
 
Propworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,476
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Franklin someone nominate him for the Debbie Downer of the year. Because he could never accomplish anything for his beloved base members he's going to rain on any others successful attempts what a looser
Old 09-07-2023, 09:03 AM
  #18  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,341
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Propworn
.......... what a looser
Would you rather he be a tighter?




Old 09-07-2023, 02:45 PM
  #19  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,341
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Oh, and, since I'm in the 'hood for a quick hello, I would like to join the rest of the folks who gave Speed's club a "Well Done" on the meet & greet, being approachable like that = potential new members
Old 09-08-2023, 05:22 AM
  #20  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun
Oh, and, since I'm in the 'hood for a quick hello, I would like to join the rest of the folks who gave Speed's club a "Well Done" on the meet & greet, being approachable like that = potential new members
Thank you. Iím glad that you and others see the value to these programs.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:26 AM
  #21  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Thank you. Iím glad that you and others see the value to these programs.
And you'll note that nobody said there wasn't value. What we actually noted that if it was done as a recruiting tool, it's carries a rather high (and I'd argue unsustainable) member acquisition cost.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:35 PM
  #22  
speedracerntrixie
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,493
Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And you'll note that nobody said there wasn't value. What we actually noted that if it was done as a recruiting tool, it's carries a rather high (and I'd argue unsustainable) member acquisition cost.

And I told you it wasnít intended as a recruitment tool but you keep right on playing that fiddle donít you. The fact is that every time a positive thread starts regarding the AMA youíre real quick to thread crap arenít you. Do you really think people donít see what youíre really all about?
Old 09-08-2023, 06:17 PM
  #23  
ECHO24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
And I told you it wasnít intended as a recruitment tool but you keep right on playing that fiddle donít you. The fact is that every time a positive thread starts regarding the AMA youíre real quick to thread crap arenít you. Do you really think people donít see what youíre really all about?
Great photos. The kid missing his two front teeth is definitely a future RC flyer. I would love to have been part of it.


Old 09-08-2023, 06:29 PM
  #24  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,561
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
And I told you it wasn’t intended as a recruitment tool but you keep right on playing that fiddle don’t you. The fact is that every time a positive thread starts regarding the AMA you’re real quick to thread crap aren’t you. Do you really think people don’t see what you’re really all about?


You made a big deal about thread title, but Community Outreach is one of those titles that can mean anything to anyone. I asked the question about members, you answered. And then that's when I noted the acquisition cost.

The event did expend a fairly good amount of scarce resources. The motives were pure as the wind driven snow. Given that AMA has seen significant declines in membership revenue for 20+ years, I'm not sure it makes sense to spend money on events that are not focused on new members. But if the organization can continue sending money to support events that don't bring in new members in significant numbers, then they clearly know something about economics unknown to the rest of the free world.

Also, be careful about universals. It's not EVERY time.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:31 PM
  #25  
ECHO24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Sorry franklin, you don't win hearts and minds dissing events like this. What kind of RC flying makes you happy?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.