Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Community outreach program

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Community outreach program

Old 09-09-2023, 03:36 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Sorry franklin, you don't win hearts and minds dissing events like this. What kind of RC flying makes you happy?
When did looking at spending of scarce resources through a rational economic lens become "dissing?"

While not the sole reason, one of the issues driving AMA's trends is they cannot separate the emotion of the hobby from the rational economic decisions they need to make for the health of the business. An example? Go look at the 29 April EC minutes, specifically the discussion in the paragraphs preceding Motion V. You see the tension between rational discussion of what the business of AMA needs and the emotional perspective when someone makes a statement beginning with "competition drives....". From the discussion it's clear the data doesn't support the level of spending, and yet the EC ultimately sided with the emotional argument.

This event, while laudable and emotionally satisfying, still has a cost in terms of real dollars. The AMA does not have an infinite supply of dollars, and the supply they do have is declining. The value of community outreach events is difficult to quantify from a business perspective, but it's clear from this they don't generate a lot of revenue for AMA. While Speedy's group may have the resources to do these, the AMA providing MORE resources doesn't make sense when you remove the emotion. When your membership revenue is declining year after year after year, then I'd argue that from a rational economic business perspective, that $900 would have been better spent on direct efforts to gain members (increase revenue). Or writing grants get other funds (increase revenue), etc. That's what the BUSINESS of AMA needs most. It cannot afford emotion based decisions like we saw the EC make.

Last edited by franklin_m; 09-09-2023 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:19 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Thank you. I’m glad that you and others see the value to these programs.
With all things considered, I think your club got some great exposure and good will in the community for the AMA's $900 investment, I'd call that a win......

Generating bad feelings in the community is free, just be noisy and unwelcoming, , , , generating genuine good will is, , in my humble opinion, priceless
Old 09-09-2023, 04:47 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ franklin "Emotional based decisions" are why people get involved in the first place, the wonder and imagination of flight.

If there's a better way to get the word out let's hear that instead of nagging lectures and spreadsheets.

franklin as a life coach: "That sex you just had might be emotionally satisfying, but let's break down the numbers ..."
Old 09-09-2023, 10:05 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Frankenstein, another example of your continued effort to hijack a positive and turn it into one of your meaningless rants.. At the end of the day you continue to prove that nobody really cares about what you think or say. Time for you to go crawl into the hull of an abandoned aircraft carrier and disappear.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:05 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO24
@ franklin "Emotional based decisions" are why people get involved in the first place, the wonder and imagination of flight.

If there's a better way to get the word out let's hear that instead of nagging lectures and spreadsheets.

franklin as a life coach: "That sex you just had might be emotionally satisfying, but let's break down the numbers ..."
Originally Posted by paulsf86
Frankenstein, another example of your continued effort to hijack a positive and turn it into one of your meaningless rants.. At the end of the day you continue to prove that nobody really cares about what you think or say. Time for you to go crawl into the hull of an abandoned aircraft carrier and disappear.
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

What one sees above is the emotionalism of the individual. The very thing the EC needs to remove from decisions if they're to have any hope of changing the revenue trends.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:04 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Would you rather he be a tighter?

Naw fat finger Friday LOL. If Fanky were bound up any tighter he might just pop one of those neck veins. Been out camping and fishing only found internet service at far end of lake.

Last edited by Propworn; 09-10-2023 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:08 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Nobody is as emotionally involved as Franklin. Why else would he go on the attack in a positive themed thread? Franklin is the only poster in this thread that has the opinion that the public outreach event was a poor choice of resources. So in short, he is right and everyone else is wrong. Let’s wait for his emotional response to this post.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yesterday a local club hosted “ Smokeshow “ a themed fun fly event where we all brought out our glow powered models and burned some fuel. Great fun! Of course the guys who showed up with electric models were able to participate as well. Pictures of some of the models.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:19 AM
speedracerntrixie

More.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 09-10-2023 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:05 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like another fun event! Out of curiosity do you know what kind of heli is depicted in your last picture?
Old 09-10-2023, 08:13 AM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by franklin_m
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

What one sees above is the emotionalism of the individual. The very thing the EC needs to remove from decisions if they're to have any hope of changing the revenue trends.
It's not slander to describe someone with a metaphor. You're obsessed with taking the joy out of a great hobby. Right on point.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:33 AM
ECHO24

You've started how many threads of your own saying the same thing? Yet you have to go out of your way to comment bomb this one.

Anyone who can't appreciate events like these (or at least defer from taking a dump on them) is in the wrong hobby. It's mean-spirited.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:51 AM
speedracerntrixie

More.

That is my Schluter Heli Boy ( 1979 ) that I recently restored. It was actually gifted to me by a couple club members.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:51 AM
speedracerntrixie

A few of us decided yesterday to head up to Hood River Oregon to the WAAM aviation museum for their annual vintage fly in. Sunday is a real treat as we get to watch the vintage aircraft fire up and taxi out. Full pictorial later.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:21 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to be in amazing shape! Long live flybars!
Old 09-10-2023, 03:50 PM
speedracerntrixie

As promised, a few full scale vintage birds. The Museum also have some very nice models on display.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:52 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

As promised, a few full scale vintage birds. The Museum also have some very nice models on display.
Sweet !
Old 09-10-2023, 03:53 PM
speedracerntrixie

More.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:55 PM
speedracerntrixie

A few of the models.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:59 PM
speedracerntrixie

And since I like gliders, especially vintage. Note the photo bomb by my granddaughter. She’s a little excited for Halloween.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

So, over the next few weeks in order to promote positivity in this forum I will be reporting on a couple upcoming events. The first is the Molalla R/C association hosted “ Cub Nutz “. This is a fun event for Piper Cub and “ Cub like “ airplanes. Last year had some really nice scale birds of all power sources and even a glow ducted fan Piper Cub. The second will be the Clark County R/C club and their “ Need for Speed “ event. These will have their own threads so stay tuned.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Gotta love that little blue and white Sig plane. Is that a Rascal?
Old 09-11-2023, 07:21 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Gotta love that little blue and white Sig plane. Is that a Rascal?

Kadet Senior ARF.