Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Remote ID: Training from FAA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Remote ID: Training from FAA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 05:21 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote ID: Training from FAA

FAA has a pretty good program of training seminars etc. Here's an upcoming one on Remote ID:
Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Event Details and Registration - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

It's astonishing to me how many people don't bother to go to original source. Here's an opportunity to be educated on it by the regulator themselves.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I do though I find they mainly cater to the commercial 107 operators I always try to learn something
Old 09-14-2023, 12:58 PM
ElectriMan

Agreed. I go to the source often but it doesn't apply to my model airplane needs.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:40 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
FAA has a pretty good program of training seminars etc. Here's an upcoming one on Remote ID:
Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Event Details and Registration - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

It's astonishing to me how many people don't bother to go to original source. Here's an opportunity to be educated on it by the regulator themselves.
The FAASTeam is a big airplane safety division at FAA. The invited speaker is with a done company that does utility and plant inspections. Sounds more like a trip to the dentist.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:47 PM
ECHO24

1. What is Remote ID?
2. Am I already Remote ID compliant?
3. How do I become compliant?

If it's an hour what do they do with the other 50 minutes, talk shop?
Old 09-14-2023, 08:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

now, from the example provided over here and in that other AMA stuff forum at the other site, that just answering the simple questions once is never enough to satisfy the ignorant. they will keep bringing "what ifs", and "i only", and whatever other so called reason to have it not apply to them for at least an hour.

all have the same answer, by the way.

you still gotta comply.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:30 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mongo
now, from the example provided over here and in that other AMA stuff forum at the other site, that just answering the simple questions once is never enough to satisfy the ignorant. they will keep bringing "what ifs", and "i only", and whatever other so called reason to have it not apply to them for at least an hour.

all have the same answer, by the way.

you still gotta comply.
I post something straight info, not even mention AMA.

And first person to chime in with a statement undermining value - sight unseen since event hasn’t happed - was AMA EC member.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

I wasn't undermining anything, if you notice I said I both attend them and learn somethng.

I also stated, truthfully (emphasis added) that those webinars largely pertain to 107 operations and are geared towards those operators.

I can't even agree with you without you taking a shot.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:58 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I wasn't undermining anything, if you notice I said I both attend them and learn somethng.

I also stated, truthfully (emphasis added) that those webinars largely pertain to 107 operations and are geared towards those operators.

I can't even agree with you without you taking a shot.
So why didn’t you just stop with it’s good info and always learn something?

nope. Had to add the mostly 107. Got news for you, we’re ALL flying under 107. Recreational is exempt only from a small portion.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:53 AM
ECHO24

Something else is going on that might be a factor in the RID date being pushed so far back. Several people have put out instructions on how to spoof Remote ID using a cheap ESP microcontroller and Arduino IDE, eg.:https://github.com/jjshoots/RemoteIDSpoofer

These can create multiple RID signals anywhere and it's been making the rounds on the FPV outlaw influencers on YouTube and their slacker followers, with a lot of giddy comments about how great it's going to be to turn out a flood of fake signals and bring the system down.

It's against the law but only a general FCC violation with a maximum penalty of a $4,000 fine, I believe. The FAA may be working getting the law tightened and, more importantly, on the technical aspects to detect and catch people doing it and ways to stop it.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:02 AM
ECHO24

I do though I find they mainly cater to the commercial 107 operators I always try to learn something
Something up your alley. No one can be fined or sanctioned over Remote ID until after March 16, 2024, but Bruce Simpson, AKA xjet, put out a scare
video telling his followers that Remote ID was still in effect and insurers would be denying claims for Part 107 operators and others not in compliance.

People began refuting that after contacting insurers including AMA (the biggest?). This was from the Flight Test forum,

"Thank you for your inquiry in regards to your insurance benefits. AMA membership benefits are not contingent upon remote ID or flying at a FRIA."
Old 09-15-2023, 06:42 AM
ECHO24

xjet, the most uninformed talking head in RC, seized on "unable to comply" (AMA's it's not in effect it's still in effect brain twister). Further down,

"Drone pilots can meet this deadline by ..."

Whatever the reason (disabling Remote ID on a drone and using it in a crime or other unlawful use) "unable to comply" is self-reporting and otherwise unenforceable.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:09 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yea I heard about his video, I refuse to sacrifice the brain cells required to watch them but I've been getting my email and phone blown up about it.

We (the AMA) want and encourage all our members to comply with existing laws.

But the fact is this. If you get drunk and wreck your car while running a light and hurt someone, what's your car insurance going to do? They won't get you a lawyer, bail you out of jail and will likely drop your policy. But they will pay the claim.

So as usual, Bruce is outright making false statements. But he's getting his clicks and income from youtube.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:54 AM
ECHO24

Well, AMA contributed to the situation with their tortured interpretation of the postponement, wouldn't you say?

FAA's David Boulter mentioned the difficulty of pushing out the date and that may be why they had to word it this way, a legal fiction.

It does has a nice ring to it as a stick to get people in line.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:12 AM
ECHO24

Blame the FAA

Name:  ohakVNl5_bigger.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  3.8 KB
FAADroneZone
@FAADroneZone
BREAKING NEWS: The Remote Identification requirement for drones has been extended to March 16, 2024. --- Crystal clear.

It then goes on to say the FAA "expects" people to comply. They can expect all they want. Maybe if they brought in those 80,000 extra IRS agents.

1) Victor had a yard sale, he now has an extra $100. He has to comply.

2) Robert had some bad luck, his car broke down. He can put it off.

The FAA is going to have to crack down at some point but they're off to a bad start.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:23 AM
ECHO24

I forgot it's the FAA. I didn't include gender neutral pronouns. I'm starting now to agree with the FPV slackers. This whole thing is a joke.

Ze/they has to comply.

In other news, Flight Test's FT EZ ID is now available at the new low price of $99.99.

Oh and be sure to get the app:

"This app may collect these data types
Personal info, Photos and videos, and Device or other IDs"

"The developer provided this information and may update it over time."

Surely someone had started a thread on the Flight Test forum about FT selling their members' personal information.
I went over to join in the outrage (I'm a free member) and give my 2 cents. Nothing. Not a peep.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-15-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:56 AM
ECHO24

I post something straight info, not even mention AMA.

And first person to chime in with a statement undermining value - sight unseen since event hasn’t happed - was AMA EC member.
They posted the outline. "What is Remote ID" You might enjoy 40 minutes of FAA bureau-talk. "Am I already compliant" will be about which (DJI) drones are equipped with Remote ID out of the box.
"How do I get compliant" will be about which (DJI) drones can be upgraded with a firmware update, models and serial numbers a (DJI) drone manufacturer has issued firmware updates or will,
which (DJI) drones will need a module. Etc., etc.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:57 PM
ECHO24

Yea I heard about his video, I refuse to sacrifice the brain cells required to watch them but I've been getting my email and phone blown up about it.

We (the AMA) want and encourage all our members to comply with existing laws.

But the fact is this. If you get drunk and wreck your car while running a light and hurt someone, what's your car insurance going to do? They won't get you a lawyer, bail you out of jail and will likely drop your policy. But they will pay the claim.

So as usual, Bruce is outright making false statements. But he's getting his clicks and income from youtube.
Funny story about pathological liar and all around RC dirtbag Bruce Simpson, AKA xjet. I've been onto this con for a long time and have had frequent exchanges calling him out on his blatantly false statements in his videos (pick any one) so much so he and I are on a first-name basis (my online moniker).

I found out about the RID postponement when you posted it here. At the time I was also in a back-and-forth with Bruce over his false statements about insurance in that video, and I mentioned the postponement. Not long after he made a video about the FAA announcement. After his usual into he says, "Brrreaking news, this just dropped 3MINUTES AGO", which was obviously impossible at least for him anyway. Just one small insight into this sociopath.

Old 09-17-2023, 03:28 PM
BarracudaHockey

Not sure why he thinks he's Gods gift to US regs when he lives half way or more around the globe.

Someone posted a rebuttal and he was wearing a tin foil hat, I laughed so loud my wife asked what the heck I was watching.

Edit: here it is
Old 09-17-2023, 05:23 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

damn,
ya know, if,
they can be made quickly and packaged cheaply,

there just might be a market for those racy looking tin foil hats.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:11 PM
ECHO24

Not sure why he thinks he's Gods gift to US regs when he lives half way or more around the globe.

Someone posted a rebuttal and he was wearing a tin foil hat, I laughed so loud my wife asked what the heck I was watching.

Edit: here it is
That was pretty good. Far too easy on him though. Bruce has done some very un-nice things. A mark of a sociopath is cruelty to animals. Bruce put out a video of himself flying his drone FPV while tormenting magpies around the airport. Magpies are an invasive species in New Zealand and there are procedures to trap and humanly cull them. That was Bruce's defense in another video after he received so much flack over it. This was pure animal cruelty. The birds obviously went back to their routine after the abuse stopped. And his juvenile delinquent base clapped along like seals in the comments. It was disgusting to me and I think anyone else with any decency.

But my biggest problem with Bruce is him telling his young followers to break the law. That's his mantra, ignore the FAA or any and all RC laws and regulations. Adults, fine, but impressionable young people no. It's a message that they can take through life. Screw the man over RC why not everything else.

FPV is at the bottom of all this. FPV did in AMA but Bruce has capitalized on it. I don't have any sympathy for the FPV outlaws but I think Bruce found a weakness and is exploiting it. Most of them are not too bright.

Bruce is complaining his YouTube revenue is down to $1,200 per month. $75 is my goal.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:28 PM
ECHO24

By the way Barracuda, anyone unable to comply with Remote ID yesterday has until until March 16, 2024, just as the announcement says. Pass it along.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 PM
ECHO24

FAA has a pretty good program of training seminars
I was going to wait for the franklin briefing on this gov.boring webinar but I think I'll chime in on the unenforceable "unable to comply" - sike (or psych if you prefer), FAA fooled you.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-19-2023 at 07:47 PM.