Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

RID Postponement: FAA's Unenforceable Threat

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RID Postponement: FAA's Unenforceable Threat

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 07:12 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FAA has gone completely down the rabbit hole. Here is a video with FAA's Kevin Morris, the guy on those friendly FAA videos. It's way worse in print. There is a whole lot to unpack. Here is a sample.

"you do not need to provide proof of a receipt [for a remote ID module] ... just have a conversation with theinspector and explain perhaps why you'renot complying with remote ID"

Who ever heard of a law or regulation where enforcement based on your word? Do you have your license and registration? I don't need to see it. You said you have it that's good enough. Begins at 35:28.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:28 PM
ECHO24

@ Franklin, Here you go. The one on the 28th should be coming up. This is the previous one September 13th. It's Girls Gone Wild compared to the 28th. Picture a boring college lecture for that one.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:12 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WRT video in post 51, one thing that jumped out at me immediately was this statement:
(starts approx 3:01) "... it's really nice to have both of you folks on uh you represent really kind of two large groups of of the Drone Community ... Greg I know you work a lot with the part 107 community and Keith I know you a lot with that as well but as you mentioned you're also tied a lot into the recreational side of drones..."
No AMA, no Flite Test to represent the "recreational side of drones"

Old 10-01-2023, 07:12 AM
franklin_m

After listening to both once, I was intrigued to learn of that company that is reading remote ID signals and uploading them to database accessible to state and federal LEOs. Another case of the government saying they wouldn't do something, but nothing prevents a private company from collecting that same public info and aggregating it.

I thought that to be an interesting way to aggregate data so if they see the same IDs flying repeatedly where they shouldn't, it becomes a "pattern of behavior" type argument that is much easier to make in event some agency decides to act. By that I mean if the agency can show that it's not a one time thing, but repeated flights outside FRIAs w/o remote ID, or flights with remote ID in places they should not be, it makes it tough to argue it was a one time thing...
Old 10-01-2023, 08:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Without having watched it yet, how could they upload data of flying outside a FRIA w/o remote ID if there's no RID to capture that data?
Old 10-01-2023, 09:26 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Without having watched it yet, how could they upload data of flying outside a FRIA w/o remote ID if there's no RID to capture that data?
The system they mentioned was for uploading RID data. My point there is that it won't require LEOs to physically go out and observe, they'll be able to download directly based on network of commercial remote ID receivers. That said, I'm confident our government has systems capable of detecting Non RID activity.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:31 AM
ECHO24

Or know who it is. Franklin is falling into FAA-think. The reason why this gets more absurd the further you drill down is it is mostly about part 107, as with the Kevin Morris' quote above about people not needing a receipt for a module, just (perhaps) explain it to the inspector, like this is going to be an everyday occurance. The "inspector" here is an Air Safety Inspector (ASI) from a local FAA field office FSDO, Flight Standards District Office, as if these guys will be taking time off from investigating air accidents and pilot violations and roaming around looking for drones and doing spot checks on Remote ID.

I'm Bruce Simpson's least favorite fan but he describes those at FAA working on this at as people with coffee stains on their shirt who have no idea what goes on in the real world..

Like that last sentence in the FAA's postponement notice, FAA Kevin doesn't seem to know how RID works. A case is initiated by a citizen with the app, who reports it to local police, who then forward it to the FAA (FSDO) and an ASI's desk. So Kevin, if the drone is not broadcasting how does the citizen know it's in a no fly zone or that it's doing something wrong? What's to report? This isn't the case of pilots who the FAA have by the short hairs including even their medical information. There is no contact information. "I didn't see it on the app so I followed him home from where he was flying the done and this is his address. Police are going to roll on that call? "Thank you M'am, we'll send it over to the FAA."

So an ASI is going to take time from his big airplane job and drive over to Johnny's house (not knowing yet his name is Jonny) and talk to who, his parents?

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-01-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:41 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Being such an expert on everything, you could have recorded it
Old 10-03-2023, 07:49 AM
ECHO24

It's already recorded. The video is a few posts above.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:04 AM
ECHO24

I ran the video through a voice to text translator. I can read English. That's all it takes to be an expert.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:10 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My comment was directed to Frankenstein, no need for you to be upset unless you are one in the same.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:18 AM
ECHO24

Double snark. The problem is you didn't quote. It's fine if it's the following post. Your remark is immediately after mine. Barracuda does it too. Very annoying.

You were responding to a post from last week. How would I know that?

Franklin just skipped it because he knew it was a waste of time.

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-03-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:52 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by ECHO24
No … and for the second time … I didn’t attend because I was on an airplane for work.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:05 AM
ECHO24

That's a lame excuse. To pick up where paulsf86 left off, someone you know could have recorded for you if you couldn't.
https://www.howtogeek.com/406064/how...22Captures.%22

Either way you knew it was a bore-fest and just didn't bother, after chiding Barracuda for not being excited enough about it.

Last edited by ECHO24; 10-03-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:54 AM
BarracudaHockey

Double snark. The problem is you didn't quote. It's fine if it's the following post. Your remark is immediately after mine. Barracuda does it too. Very annoying.

You were responding to a post from last week. How would I know that?

Barracuda usually only does it when its the next post but someone snuck a post in while I was writing.

But I quoted this time for your viewing pleasure.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:19 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

..........Either way you knew it was a bore-fest and just didn't bother, after chiding Barracuda for not being excited enough about it.
Echo, if you want to be taken seriously here, it may be for the best to not go and accuse folks of things you have no proof of.
The man has stated (twice) that he missed it because he was traveling for his job, and, given his profound interest in FAA/AMA matters, I have no reason to believe that's not the case
Old 10-04-2023, 05:54 AM
R_Strowe

ECHO, it's no secret I have had major differences of opinion on Franklin's posting and positions on the AMA. However, Init below is right, the man is traveling for work. You need to put down the wine and lay off.

You do know that the aircraft operating for the airlines out of State College are generally not wifi equipped. And depending on his final destination, (especially if he was on American Airlines), there would be a good chance that the onboard wifi there would not be working, either.

Originally Posted by init4fun
Echo, if you want to be taken seriously here, it may be for the best to not go and accuse folks of things you have no proof of.
The man has stated (twice) that he missed it because he was traveling for his job, and, given his profound interest in FAA/AMA matters, I have no reason to believe that's not the case
And as an aside, just being able to read English (and doing so) does not make you an expert. It only makes you book-smart. And in my field of expertise, I have decades of experience to back that up.

R_Strowe
Old 10-04-2023, 07:01 AM
ECHO24

It was important enough for Franklin that he started an entire thread on the RID webinar (before it's lost what it's about). And he called out people who didn't need to be called out, who just said it looked mostly irrelevant. Then Franklin didn't bother to record it or have someone he knows record it, if he in fact was unable to watch it, which I'm under no obligation to believe. And I don't. Me thinks he doth try too much. Had he said nothing we wouldn't here.

But it was paulsf86 who revived that dog from last week, mocking him as "Frankenstein", and it was paulsf86 dragging Franklin for not recording, and it was he who brought it up. I don't see you two taking paulsf86 to the woodshed. I thought about it but I would have said, Gee Franklin why didn't ask, I would have recorded it for you. I let it drop.

The "put down the wine" is payback over my remark in that forum rule violating thread, that maybe he was just extra happy, meaning the big fat typo. Night flight? I'm not up at 2 in the morning banging away on a keyboard. I go to bed between 9 and 10.

I say some outrageous things. So what. The internet is not a place for a "conversation". This is artificial, a simile. We're stuck on this thread now for over a week. You think of something original to say.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:05 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

just say nothing...
Old 10-04-2023, 03:20 PM
ECHO24

Cryptic. One-line haiku? Let's follow that thought: A piece of green pepper - fell - off the wooden salad bowl : - so what?

I write, erase, write again - Erase again, and then - A poppy blooms

No worries - a dry spell - A few more days - so what?

Thanks mongo
Old 10-05-2023, 09:12 AM
ECHO24

Here some thread topic ideas.

Flight Test’s Remote ID app disclaimer that 3rd parties can collect any information from your phone; browsing history, shopping, banking, email, social media, everything.

From DroneLife: “If you haven’t been paying attention, the drone industry is poised to be a $57B industry within the next 6 years, and only a fraction of that is recreational drones.”

... I read that as the model aircraft hobby will only be a further fraction of that.

AMAers’ indifference to the 41% decline in membership the last 3 years.

I’d love to chime in on this history revision over at RCGroups: “I see those who think the AMA is a sellout and failure as either completely ignorant of the facts or totally irrational.”

My recent fallout with Patrick Egan at sUAS News, calling him a Big Drone industry hack and telling him to never contact me again.
It was a hollow gesture since he would never in a million years contact me again after that.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:35 AM
ECHO24

One more. FAA's official statement (paraphrased) that you can lie and say you have an RID module on order and you're good to go, no one will check.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bruce Simpson (Xjet on YouTube) raises some interesting points about RID, Part 102, YouTube monetizing vs. Part 102, and FAA lack of qualifications required for Ultralight class vs. Recreational RC Flying.

Like him or not, good points here.

Old 10-05-2023, 10:29 AM
BarracudaHockey

Definitely not. He wants to stir turds for the sake of paid clicks, I'll stick with my Crazy Eddie commercials, at least he's honest about his intent.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:43 AM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Definitely not. He wants to stir turds for the sake of paid clicks, I'll stick with my Crazy Eddie commercials, at least he's honest about his intent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml6S2yiuSWE
Just remember, His prices are INSANE!

I worked for them for a year just out of high school. Wasn't bad, actually.

R_Strowe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.