Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

[b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

[b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: [b]AMA Dues Increase[b/]

Hossfly, we should write you in if you're not running!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

I also predict there must be at least 1,000,000 fliers out there that have no interest in AMA as OF NOW, but think on this: Remember I said that I think AMA knows the future.

1. The AMA will become FAA's Community Based Organization (CBO).
2. FAA will rule that all members of the CBO will be allowed to fly using the AMA/CBO rules of operation (Safety Code, Field layouts, etc., etc.)
3. Non CBO members will have to be licensed by FAA, follow FAA rules which will be more stringent and complex, and subject to FAA checks as FAA so desires from time to time.
I more or less agree with these 3 points with minor revisions.

1) No argument. I think that at first the AMA will be the only CBO in town. However, there is nothing in the FAA workings that prevents another CBO from coming up with rules. It was also not clear to me if the AMA or FAA can require membership in teh AMA in order to comply with teh rule by following the CBO guidelines. I am not clear how that actually works.

2) see above

3) Those not operating in compliance with an FAA accepted CBO framework will have to comply with the default FAA rules. I doubt that for models a license will be required.

Have you wondered why Rich Hansen is willing to give up his currently salaried position to become a currently unpaid position?
Nope. I know why. Rich Hanson has had a long term commitment to the AMA and feels that he can do a good job leading it into the future. I take exception to you trying to frame his commitment as anything other than what it is. A desire to continue to help develop model aviation and to lead the AMA in a positive manner.

Do you wonder why Jim Rice and Bob Brown want to give up being a DVP to be Pres.? MORE work and less time to play. Jim is a retired Army Colonel but does that satisfy his living style especially since his Hobby Shop has become extinct?
It is a truly dark and sad world that you see. Everyone is out for himself with some nefarious plan hidden behind their desire to do something good. Very sad.

OK so now you have some History 101,
Well, we have your own particular view of history,. People should take that for what it is. Your opinion.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 AM
cordell staker

When I started to snow ski, an all-day lift ticket was 8 bucks. The best ski bindings were about $30. Accidents, attorneys, litigation and insurance now make an all day lift ticket over $120., and ski bindings ( which get a lot of blame) are over $500. My point is that there is a dynamic evolution in most everything we choose as a hobby. The AMA is the best friend we have in these times. I love this sport/hobby. AMA is fairly priced, and the rate increase will be well accounted for.
AMA 51111
Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cordell staker
//snip//
AMA is fairly priced, and the rate increase will be well accounted for.
AMA 51111
And just what rate increase do you speak of?

The original post in this thread was speaking of something 9 years ago.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flexnbeef

On the renewal form it says that your membership fee includes the magazine, well for the last two years ive been getting ripped off[:@], due to my work schedual i sometimes don't have time to fly so I don't renew my membership until the middle of summer or the beginning of fall just so i can get in a few flights with some freinds. it makes no sense to pay for something your not going to use but in order to fly with friends at the club field i need it,. so my ***** is for the last two years i payed for the entire year of membership including magazines but only recieved four last year and two so far this year,[:@] i live in the midwest so can't fly much in the winter, Why cant i get my back issues that i'm being charged for[]. looks like they are living well in muncie[X(], give me my magazines.. I know its my choice not to fly but give me what i pay for....[]

Why would you rather set here and complain on the computer than to call the AMA and tell them you havent recieved your magazines. If you really wanted your magazine i think you would have called to inquire about them.

to all the AMA haters if we didnt have the AMA then who would have fought for us with the FAA and Home land security? The way the world is going if we dont have a the AMA or someone to fight for us we may no longer have a hobby. look at guns if we didnt have the NRA would be where we are now with guns.

IF the AMA went to 200 dollars a year i would pay it. i like to fly and want to fly till I am not able to by my own means.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Silent, Gerry, etc,

you guys are saying dues should go up cause dues should go up.

Not acceptable.
Show me where the costs went up that require a 25% dues hike.
(yes, 25%: $10 is 25% of the $40 ama comptroller says is for AMA after the magazine$18 is taken out)

Show me the the lines in the financial report that demonstrate a need for a 25% increase in dues.
It aint insurance, we went over that line item already,
and it aint the magazine, thats what the $18 is for,
and dont even try to say we need to increase dues to do yet another $1.4mil stock buy.

You guys say a $10 is needed yet cant show why its not $2 or $20 or $50 hike thats needed.
How many more millions of stock market playing money do the members have to buy muncie, if we are so strapped for operating funds where did that $1.4mil of new market money come from a couple years ago?

so Gerry, Silent, and gang, show me some line items of cost increases that require all that dues hike.

Nonsense. If you think the cost of the mag. did not go up in 9 years you are kidding yourself. Sorry for my delay in answering, but some of us have to work. I participate in 2 professional organizations and let me tell you, prices and expenses go up. Particularly in 9 years. If you did not notice prices going up during the last year, God bless wherever you live.

Another item that impacts your reason to increase dues is a reduction in the membership, and also if you do now things you did not do in the past, or if you are preparing the budget for the following year and you know you are not going to make it financially. Of course you try to raise money in other ways (in our case conferences, seminars, presentations, classes, in the AMA case I do not know, maybe sales of items, whatever, but in many instances it is not enough...)

I know I do not have to show you a thing, but as a parent, properties owner, I own my corporation, I can tell you, in 9 years prices have risen. Plus I do not know how many members the ATA has currently, but I do not think they would have many more members now than 9 years ago (I bet neither does the AOPA).

Am I surprised, disgusted, disgruntled, upset, fuming for $10.00? Are you serious?

Gerry
Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
airraptor

Ten dollar increase is only half a gallon of glow fuel!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM
wb5ziy

Have you wondered why Rich Hansen is willing to give up his currently salaried position to become a currently unpaid position?
Do you wonder why Jim Rice and Bob Brown want to give up being a DVP to be Pres.? MORE work and less time to play. Jim is a retired Army Colonel but does that satisfy his living style especially since his Hobby Shop has become extinct?

OK so now you have some History 101, some items that seem to me to be plausible, and a number of questions laying on your table of dues increases.

Folks, as Franklin Roosevelt said about politics, ''Whatever happens in politics is not by chance, you can bet that it was planned.''
It's going to be a very interesting 2012.

[/quote]

Horrace;
Who told you that Jim's hobby shop is "extinct"? He no longer owns it because he sold it in April. 2nd Chance Hobbies is alive and well in San Antonio Tx. Rich Hansen and Jim Rice are not looking to the AMA to "satisfy their life style". That sir is pure Hogwash!!!! I do wonder why you continue to be a member of the AMA when it is run so bad and you cannot get control of it? You ought to do some research before you say negative things about people. But that is not your way.

Jack Matlock
L976
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

I dont care about the increase..we fly $100-$5000 airplanes and complain about $10???? thats a drop in the bucket of life, things change and prices increase.
Its simple... if you dont like it, excerise your right dont join and go else where!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Hossfly

Jack Matlock
"Horrace;
Who told you that Jim's hobby shop is "extinct"? He no longer owns it because he sold it in April. 2nd Chance Hobbies is alive and well in San Antonio Tx. Rich Hansen and Jim Rice are not looking to the AMA to "satisfy their life style". That sir is pure Hogwash!!!! I do wonder why you continue to be a member of the AMA when it is run so bad and you cannot get control of it? You ought to do some research before you say negative things about people. But that is not your way.

Jack Matlock
L976
Well that is good news. I was only following that which Mr. Rice told me at the 75th ANNIVERSARY in Muncie in July of this year.
He sold it out several years ago, then had to take it back and was getting rid of it again some months ago. So unless he talle me differently as far as he, Jim Rice, has taken it back again then as far as he is concerned it is extinct for him. [>:]
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 PM
KidEpoxy

gerry
Stop telling us stories about what you claim the numbers show,
and show us the numbers that say what you claim

scroll back, you recall this getting said in the thread?
As an AMA member you can go to the Members only area on the website and see the most recent financial statement and see exactly where all the money goes. Might be a good idea before passing judgment on what you think is going on.
Why is it when I can cite ama's pdfs to show low costs, or quote the AMA comptroller to support my points,
you continue to cite what you said to justify what you say.... dont tell me what you assume AMA's numbers are based on your life or your observations of other stuff, tell us what the ama numbers are by quoting the ama numbers that support your position

You want to say costs went up yet refuse to show the math to support your point.... you want to blame a lack of revenue yet fail to address the status of the Assets and how we had $1.4mil laying around to add to our(ama's) stock market playing??? Whats the slogan there: We are so broke we only spent $1.4mil buying more stock

Is it your plan that we hike to get another $mil so we can buy another $mil of stock EVERY year?

you want to say we are running our bottom line $mil in the red and need +1mil each year rung outta the members,
show us the past 5 or 8 bottom lines $1mil in the red to support your position

Gerry, how many new paid positions have been created
while you claim a drop of membership is causing a revenue failure
that needs a yearly $1mil dues hike fix?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 PM
airraptor

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

gerry
Stop telling us stories about what you claim the numbers show,
and show us the numbers that say what you claim

scroll back, you recall this getting said in the thread?
As an AMA member you can go to the Members only area on the website and see the most recent financial statement and see exactly where all the money goes. Might be a good idea before passing judgment on what you think is going on.
Why is it when I can cite ama's pdfs to show low costs, or quote the AMA comptroller to support my points,
you continue to cite what you said to justify what you say.... dont tell me what you assume AMA's numbers are based on your life or your observations of other stuff, tell us what the ama numbers are by quoting the ama numbers that support your position

You want to say costs went up yet refuse to show the math to support your point.... you want to blame a lack of revenue yet fail to address the status of the Assets and how we had $1.4mil laying around to add to our(ama's) stock market playing??? Whats the slogan there: We are so broke we only spent $1.4mil buying more stock

Is it your plan that we hike to get another $mil so we can buy another $mil of stock EVERY year?

you want to say we are running our bottom line $mil in the red and need +1mil each year rung outta the members,
show us the past 5 or 8 bottom lines $1mil in the red to support your position

Gerry, how many new paid positions have been created
while you claim a drop of membership is causing a revenue failure
that needs a yearly $1mil dues hike fix?

dont renew then.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

dont renew then.

Great input.

Kurt
Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

ORIGINAL: Flexnbeef

On the renewal form it says that your membership fee includes the magazine, well for the last two years ive been getting ripped off[:@], due to my work schedual i sometimes don't have time to fly so I don't renew my membership until the middle of summer or the beginning of fall just so i can get in a few flights with some freinds. it makes no sense to pay for something your not going to use but in order to fly with friends at the club field i need it,. so my ***** is for the last two years i payed for the entire year of membership including magazines but only recieved four last year and two so far this year,[:@] i live in the midwest so can't fly much in the winter, Why cant i get my back issues that i'm being charged for[]. looks like they are living well in muncie[X(], give me my magazines.. I know its my choice not to fly but give me what i pay for....[]

Why would you rather set here and complain on the computer than to call the AMA and tell them you havent recieved your magazines. If you really wanted your magazine i think you would have called to inquire about them.

to all the AMA haters if we didnt have the AMA then who would have fought for us with the FAA and Home land security? The way the world is going if we dont have a the AMA or someone to fight for us we may no longer have a hobby. look at guns if we didnt have the NRA would be where we are now with guns.

IF the AMA went to 200 dollars a year i would pay it. i like to fly and want to fly till I am not able to by my own means.
Did that... was told it wasn't a pro rated membership and that I wasn't intitled to back issues... The magazine is two months behind any other rc magazines anyway. I don't really care to get it. It's just that I should get what I pay for. Don't you expect to get what you pay for? When I get any other magazines I get the entire years worth that I pay for..
Old 10-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

BAHHHHH BAHHHH Sheeple.......
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 AM
GarZob
My Feedback: (18)

I think we can all agree that AMA might have made a few financial decisions in the past and that if they had a "DO OVER" might have been done differently. Due to many, many factors we are where we are. Complaining about investments that produce revenue is something I don't get. The revenue recd. is basically income that can be used for operating expenses. What you see with the financial statements is very transparent and compiled according to GAP...generally accepted account principals... These are the same "financials" that a banker, prospective buyer etc would require to make lending or purchase decisions. For a moment try and get your arms around the cost of dealing with the U. S. govt. RE. the FAA and FTC and dept. of homeland security. The expense to AMA was huge in attending an endless number of meetings by a bunch of beureacrats who could care less about the time and expense to AMA. Paranoia runs deep and their answer is an endless number of meetings trying to promulgate rules and regs. that really have no viable threat from our hobby. My dues are the cheapest insurance I buy...Period the end.... The fact that we have a unified voice with the federal govt....PRICELES!!!!!! and a bonus as far as I am concerned!! there is strength in numbers... Is AMA perfect.. No.... Are you, Are your kids, Is your company, is your wife etc. etc. etc. The point being everyone and everything has room for some improvement, I sure know I do. I know people who have lost their jobs, being able to keep their home is now in jeopardy, working three part time jobs to put food on the table, selling their toys etc. and people are complaining about the price of 2 starbucks mocha latte dues increase. If your are fortunate enought to be able to pay your dues do so with a smile and enjoy our great hobby. Rome was'nt built in a year. AMA's fin. situatuion won't be cured in a year. If large complex issues could be solved overnight I am sure things like the U.S. budget would be balanced and unemployment would be at 1% instead of 10%. I think I will go get a double large Starbucks so I can't afford my dues increase
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Silent-AV8R

The funny thing is that this whole thread is about a dues increase that happened nearly a decade ago. There is no pending dues increase to the best of my knowledge. This really is proof that there is a small group of people who will literally complain about anything related to the AMA. People are certainly free to raise questions and discuss things the AMA does and has done. But when it is the same 6 to 8 people raising the same questions endlessly it passes the point of useful discussion.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
wb5ziy

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The funny thing is that this whole thread is about a dues increase that happened nearly a decade ago. There is no pending dues increase to the best of my knowledge. This really is proof that there is a small group of people who will literally complain about anything related to the AMA. People are certainly free to raise questions and discuss things the AMA does and has done. But when it is the same 6 to 8 people raising the same questions endlessly it passes the point of useful discussion.

+1
Old 10-08-2011, 12:16 PM
bradpaul

+2
Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

There's that putting people in a box again,, Did you notice the guy that brought the thread back to life only Joined RCU a little over a year ago,, and that was his first and only post in the AMA section

I notice it's the same handful of guys that overreact in defended the AMA too.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Silent-AV8R

Never mind.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Never mind.

Please tell us!

Kurt
Old 10-09-2011, 04:43 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

The funny thing is that this whole thread is about a dues increase that happened nearly a decade ago.

What is even funnier...as of right now, you are the one that has responded with the most posts to this thread...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: wb5ziy

Horrace;
Who told you that Jim's hobby shop is ''extinct''? He no longer owns it because he sold it in April. 2nd Chance Hobbies is alive and well in San Antonio Tx.
Jack Matlock
L976
Huh? This surprised me so much that I searched for 2nd chance hobbies online. Nearest I came was that another shop in SA bragged that they'd bought what stock was left when Jim Rice "retired". Care to fill us in?

BTW, when are you going to upgrade?

kf5jth
Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
wb5ziy

Charley;
Robbie Allen bought 2nd Chance Hobbies and put it in with his rc car shop over on Nacadoches. He has the displays and inventory set up and has as many used planes for sale as Jim used to have. Jim is helping him as much as possible. Several of the guys that worked with Jim are working for Robbie. Jim and I have got a shop in the back of Linda's travel agency so that we can build/repair for folks.

Upgrade! Sounds like work!

Jack