Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA , To BE Or Not To BE

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA , To BE Or Not To BE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 04:31 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA , To BE Or Not To BE

I agree.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: SIGs

Originally posted by Sky-jacker

Hey Sport_Pilot
So your the guy that caued my 10# plane to hit me up side my head because you were on my freq only a mile away. Dang that smarted.
GEF
I didn't say it was my plane. So you are the one who interfered with the plane in the park! Tell me what field do you fly from, AMA number, and address etc. so my lawyer can seen you the summons. I figure someone with a 10 pound plane has more money. Also someone who got hit in the head with a 10# plane ain't gonna be smart enough to win the suit!
Old 09-12-2002, 07:13 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

It's funny...everybody was running scared about park flyers a few years ago, but it SEEMS to me(I don't have any hard data) that they are not the threat they could have been.
Most of the really ready to fly ones are on 27mhz...those with the radio already installed, etc. It does not seem that kids really go for them. Nintendo seems to be just a bit more popular!
I have never heard of an incident where a park flyer at a local schoolyard has shot down a "real" RC plane flying at an AMA field. I'm sure it has happened at least ONCE, but the spate of horrible accidents where turbines are sent spinning out of control into schoolbuses full of nuns because of some kid with an "unregistered" park flyer on 72mhz just did not seem to pan out...
Old 09-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Actually most people realized when the park fliers 1st came out the were a toy plane in every sense of the word. Mom or Dad usually shelled out the money for one, and it usually did not last through its first flight. Now I am seeing updated versions that do fly very good with improved motors etc., and are usually bought by experienced fliers.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:01 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

I think you are right. I think kids, for the most part, try them once, then they go into the wastebasket or onto the shelf.
Some of them fly very well indeed nowadays, though...but that's another story.
Like you, I think the vast majority of park flyers that actually make it into the air are owned by AMA members.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:27 PM
Sky-jacker

Thanks ,
Just wanted to change the drift of the thread LOLOL.
GEF
Old 09-15-2002, 02:24 PM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

Hi All,
I have read the posts and quotes taken out of my replies,some were funny, some sarcastic and some serious.
Every person sees a different side of every situation and is handled in that manner.

How many of you have been on the receiving side of a mother's irrational actions, that 's child has been injured( bruise or otherwise) by some definition your fault.

A park flyer is still an airplane large or small and can cause damage. Eye damage is one that is everlasting, facial cuts is another, all injuries do not heal without leaving a scar be it mental or physical.

Most injuries are received or caused by inexperienced persons be it child or adult.

We have an organization ( AMA ) That has evolved into the one we have today. It is not perfect and will never be, all we can do is to vote for the things we want and question as much as possible to lessen the possibility of things getting out of hand.

Forums such as this lets people sort and shuffle until the seeds are there for every one to see.

Thanks and keep em fly'n, John
Old 09-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Nick Hudson
My Feedback: (138)

David, Hope to see you this weekend. People Davis is one of the best pilots out here in the AMA world today, and enjoys this hobby more than any one person I know! AMA or NO AMA? Wow what a question, but I say yes to AMA! It's kinda like the question of why pay club dues if we have no meeting or functions? Well club dues keep the field mowed and helps give a little money back to the community for good press. If we ignore the fact that we need national support I assure yopu we wouldn't be flyong in 10 years because there would be laws everwhere agianst it. With park flyers and ARF's coming on strong now I believe we are endangering our hobby and will need the AMA more. The demand for fly it now will come back to bite us in the butt and we should be ready for it. There will be a time when a lawsuite will be filed against us because of the newcomer that has now insurance nor experiance hurts someone. David we could use new blood in the AMA to keep it current and if you would run for office I would vote for you.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default AMA

Hello Nick, always good to hear from you and thank you for the kind words. I would love to do more for AMA than just be a member , But like many folks I don't have as much time as I would like with an 8 year old who is needing my attention more and more every day, I do love this hobby and do what I can locally by CD events and helping with fund raisers and my Favorite part, Visiting the other clubs in our area to help support them, and By the way I finally traded the Nosen Trainer off. Not sure if I can Make it this week end< I committed to attending the fly-in at Fort Scott Ks. There are just not enough of me to do all the things I want to.

From the looks of our little poll it would appear most are in favor of keeping the AMA even with its faults. I not against making changes and maybe someday I will be able to volunteer more of my time to making it better. Thanks to all who have voted so far , glad to see the Silent Majority doing their part.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:48 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Just a quick comment to what has already been said about the AMA insurance. If I am not mistaken the AMA coverage is an "excess" policy over what you have inforce with your homeowners policy and possibly your "personal umbrellas". This coverage is, while not always nessicary for those who carry umbrellas is a great deal for ANYONE flying... Take it from someone in the insurance business that NO ONE gets coverage for under $5.00 a year!!! It don't happen. An umbrella policy minimum premium is $250.00 usually. Even if the whole $58.00 went for the insurance alone it is ONE HELL OF A DEAL!!!! Believe me when someone slaps a law suit on you for dumb thumbin a plane into someone and you see your entire life savings, kids college fund, home, etc going down the drain as well as trying to pay for a defense lawyer to explain your ineptness or "how you got shot down". You begin to realize how cheap a little extra protection is worth.
I for one look at the AMA as GREAT DEAL!! I would gladly pay well in excess of what the dues are just for the insurance.. To me the rest is icing on the cake. Take it from someone who plays with Lawyers for a living you don't want to go without it... To coin the words of the largest property insurance carrier in the US.. (no affiliation) Your in GREAT HANDS with the AMA.. By the way be prepaired for continued increases in the insurance... Companys and reinsurers are going to get back the Billions the paid out in the 9/11 incident. No matter what they tell you , it is going to happen, count on it!
Old 09-20-2002, 04:05 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Insurance

My wife has been in the insurance world for over 16 years, started before she graduated High School. Her main area for 14 of those years was in home owners insurance and has supported my membership to AMA for the insurance Value alone, we also carry an umbrella Policy I believe it is for 1 million, Her opinion and mine is that 1 million is just not enough in todays world, 58 bucks a year is considered as steal for 2.5 mill. of additional coverage. She now does Risk Managment for a large Engineering firm that design and build Steam and Nuclear Power plants and other projects world wide, you talk about insurance costs, you should see what they spend .
Old 09-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Stewart-RCU

Hello,

The AMA is a bargain for what we get in return. The increase is about the price of one gallon of fuel. If you can't afford that, you should not be flying.

Stewart