Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How Much of Your AMA Dues Should be Spent on the National Flying Site?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How Much of Your AMA Dues Should be Spent on the National Flying Site?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 02:55 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much of Your AMA Dues Should be Spent on the National Flying Site?

Ummm, suggestions for how to get rid of lawyers???

Unfortunately, given the rapid increase in development around metropolitan areas, this is going to be an ongoing problem. As planes get larger and faster, we need larger overfly rights to more property, most of which will not be owned by the club in most cases. Throw in a couple of neighbors complaining about noise (our field), and one guy who had a plane planted in his front yard about a month ago (our field), and you can see why its harder and harder to keep a field.
Fields that were out in the sticks as little as 5-10 years ago are now encircled with homes/farms/development.

I think that it would get very very very very very "political" if the AMA were to start launching sites, and no matter where it decides to put the first one, theres going to be a firestorm of complaints about "Why wasnt it put here, dont they know we need a field more than they do..........."

If you have the property available, or have a farmer/landowner who is willing to let you fly on his property, draw up a liability waiver that excludes the property owner from liability in the event of an incident. Basically, you fly at your own risk, and your own homeowners and medical insurance will be your method of coverage. If it were my property and doing it without AMA, I would insist upon having a letter from any pilots insurance company stating that they have either homeowners or renter's insurance, or a proof of policy, etc. And I would also make them or their guest pilots that they sign a waiver relieving me of responsibility of their "mistakes". Lastly, I would have a big gate with a big sign that says enter at your own risk, owner is not held liable in the event of personal injury, etc etc, and only invited pilots that meet the criteria will get a key to the gate. It would also say that anyone not authorized to be there, either as a member or guest of a member, is subject to prosecution for trespassing. Phrase it to sound like it is "In the intrest of safety", and leave a phone number to contact if interested in joining/spectating, and in event of an emergency, blah blah,blah. Obviously youre not goin to be a ballbuster if theres a bunch of people drivin by and happen to wander in to watch 4 or 5 people flying, but its there to keep the rogue pilot from just wandering in, firing up, and smackin his plane into your property, and starting a fire or killing himself.

Steve
Old 10-30-2002, 03:35 AM
klbass
My Feedback: (7)

I am a relatively new member to the AMA except for a few years of membership 15 years ago. I think the AMA could have definately come up with something better. I will never visit nor will I fly at this location. I am not going to drive any amount of distance to see just the museum, there is not much there other than that museum. If the AMA was interested in promoting the hobby and its history, I think maybe a couple of converted "RV"S would have been nice. These RV"s could spend the year touring the whole U.S. stopping at various flyins and events to show what the AMA is about and its history. It would definately give the flyers something to look at while they are not flying. I think I would be willing to even pay a couple of bucks to enter the "mobile" AMA museum. I am sure they could have purchased several of these RV's for the price of their "one" museum. You would see the museum at trade shows, and you could even take the RV to large city civic events. I think most kids or adults don't even know the AMA exist until they try to join a club. They might get lucky and stumble upon an ad in a magazine, but those ads never really address that you "must" join to fly at fields. Parking this RV next to a hobby shop, or walmart store would surely draw people in to see it. Those people might have not otherwise known that model airplanes and its national organization even exist . AMA gets the thumbs down from me on this one! Big waste of our dues guys! I think its time to elect a board with "new ideas" of exposure.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:00 AM
Dave Bowles

Default NFS

I think we have to accept the fact that there are many times we have to support something we will never be involved in, How many Cities have raised local taxes to support Professional Sports Complexes that Many if not most of the population will not use, your city pools and water parks, zoos, museums and such , although many of these are voted in , as we know voter turnout is not ever 100%.

IMO the NFS serves a purpose and serves it very well, it provides a venue for the Nats. and from what I've read and heard, that makes it run as smooth as possible. It provides a place for those that do visit , an opportunity to see some flying as well as its history.

I support Many things I know I will never be very involved in, How many give to their Church and never question where it is spent or how it will benefit YOU.

Must we always get some reward ? I don't do any heavy competition and may or may not ever get to the Nats or ever see the Museum but I will not say I will NEVER visit. Competition is a small apart of the hobby but I feel they need our support and a the best facility to hold their Superbowl of Model Aviation. The location makes no differance.

If you just can't stand the fact you may be supporting another venue of the hobby with your dues and only want the insurance then start looking at getting your own insurance and see how much you would have to spend, I think you will find quite a savings compared to your dues so what does it matter to your where the money goes, Your saving money, your getting what you want at a very reasonable price.

I like the Idea of a traveling Museum in addition to the one in exsistance, But who is going to tour it?, Do they get full medical and retirement benifits? How much should they get paid?, Are they allowed to fly and have fun while they travel the U.S. at our expense?, How will it benefit my area if they never get to my city or visit my local Fly-in or event?. How do we decide who is worthy of the tour, what events get visited and which ones don't?
Old 10-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Blackie

Everyone has hit on good points, as I stated I'm against. Now the next question where does it stop? what will our fee be next year or the year after that etc.....?

Randy
Old 10-30-2002, 01:10 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: NFS

Originally posted by Dave Bowles
I think we have to accept the fact that there are many times we have to support something we will never be involved in, How many Cities have raised local taxes to support Professional Sports Complexes that Many if not most of the population will not use, your city pools and water parks, zoos, museums and such , although many of these are voted in , as we know voter turnout is not ever 100%.

IMO the NFS serves a purpose and serves it very well, it provides a venue for the Nats. and from what I've read and heard, that makes it run as smooth as possible. It provides a place for those that do visit , an opportunity to see some flying as well as its history.

I support Many things I know I will never be very involved in, How many give to their Church and never question where it is spent or how it will benefit YOU.

Must we always get some reward ? I don't do any heavy competition and may or may not ever get to the Nats or ever see the Museum but I will not say I will NEVER visit. Competition is a small apart of the hobby but I feel they need our support and a the best facility to hold their Superbowl of Model Aviation. The location makes no differance.

If you just can't stand the fact you may be supporting another venue of the hobby with your dues and only want the insurance then start looking at getting your own insurance and see how much you would have to spend, I think you will find quite a savings compared to your dues so what does it matter to your where the money goes, Your saving money, your getting what you want at a very reasonable price.

I like the Idea of a traveling Museum in addition to the one in exsistance, But who is going to tour it?, Do they get full medical and retirement benifits? How much should they get paid?, Are they allowed to fly and have fun while they travel the U.S. at our expense?, How will it benefit my area if they never get to my city or visit my local Fly-in or event?. How do we decide who is worthy of the tour, what events get visited and which ones don't?
Exactly!
Old 10-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the AMA doesn't even have to have a National event! This is the only contest they handle the rest are done by the SIGS. It may be best for the SIGS to handle the Nationals and let the AMA bow out altogether. The money saved could be used to promote the AMA. I know that its traditional for the AMA to hold the nationals, and this is one of the functions that got the AMA started, but lets face the fact that most members do not participate in contests nor care to, and their money is being used to fund the largest contest!

1. Sell off the land for the AMA flying site.

2. Start a promotional membership for say $5.00. This membership will be good for an aircraft up to 6 or 7 pounds for the first year, after that they will renew for full membership with no restrictions.

3. Negotiate with the electric ARF and toy manufactures to include promotional literature and membership application in each ARF kit, toy free flights, balsa gliders, etc.

4. In this will be a web site which will show the nearest club, map, and point of contact.

Lots of those Cox rubber and electric free flight's sold. Not to mention the Air Hogs. Even small electric R/C can be found in some toy stores and Sharper Image stores.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Dave Bowles

Default NFS

It is the SIGS that go to the AMA to have thier nationals held at the NFS, I know the one I belong to The NCFFA, National Competition Fun Fly Association are wantiing to have our Nats during the M.A. Superbowl and are possibly going to do so and be part of the big Party in 2004. I am sure that Many of the other SIGS have came to be aprt of the big show on thier own, AS far as I know, The SIGs are not required to have thier Nats at the NFS, they choose to .