Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Park Flyers

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Park Flyers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Park Flyers

Anybody gonna join the AMA at ($58) to fly a $50 plane????

How bout $5? This would also allow for a small glow plane, first year only. Put the application and some come on literature in the box and bet we get some new members.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Crashem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Flyers

Sport_Pilot,

Five bucks sounds like a good idea. But I'm sure the members paying full price would cry foul!!!!!

JR

If I understand you correctly, it's your view that the 'foamie's' are the bigger part of the market.
I classify PF into two categories Toy and scaled down verisions of traditional RC planes

Toys

PF in this category will have gear that is designed only for use in a particular model it will also usually be limited in range and ability to uprgade.
You will also find that controlling SOME of these toy type planes is completely different then traditional RC so the pilot has to "unlearn" some of the skills when transitioning to traditional planes. Case in point airhog controller user buttons instead of sticks for control. Firebird uses throtle for altitude control.

Non-toys

use micro servos and micro receivers are compatible with same radio units that control traditional planes radio range is close or equal to that found on non park flyer models. Control setups are
similar when compared non PFs gear is swappable between different PF planes (i.e. just .40 size engines in .40 size models)

JR

you appear to be saying that there is not a normal upward path in PF's like there is in traditional RC planes. Is that the observation of most of you?
I would agree with these statement in respect to the Toy category of PF not the others

, it's your view that the 'foamie's' are the bigger part of the market. Where do the 'wattage' type PF's fit in? They are what I have seen more of, maybe my observation is wrong?
If by foamies you mean the "toy" type planes I described then I would say no kids are the manufactures target market and probably not a reliable way for the AMA to gro its membership.

The Wattage type planes or those found in hobby lobby etc I think are targeted more for adults/Existing RC hobbists. Maybe thats where the AMA Should focus on requiting.

JR The term foamie's in regards to PFs indicates the construction of the model. Foamie type PFs are very popular because of cost durability, and ease of repair.

GWS makes a popular line of foamie type Park/slowflyer type aircraft. some for 35.00 including moter and prop