Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 25 foot rule? >

25 foot rule?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

25 foot rule?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 25 foot rule?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! If you are offended by me saying MERRY CHRISTMAS, don't sue. Visit a psychiatrist. Merry Christmas
Right On, Whoops. _ell, Whoops, even you and I can agree on one thing. Those that yell at me for saying CHRISTMAS better stay at least 25 feet away. [>:]

Merry Christmas to you too. Rest up for the season and we can have a go at it again next year with an all refreshed spirit or 'spirits' as the case may be.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

OH, Yes, right here within these forums, we can see just how effective such communication and consideration between individuals really is. What a crock?

The so-often used term, "Lack of communication" is just another social degradation upon the populace.

Hard to figure exactly what you think the answer may be... It seems to me, by your own admission, if we communicte it is a crock and the lack of communiction is degradation of some sort.

As for as myself, I have seen communication between pilots work very well. The only time I have ever witnessed any problems was due to perceptions based on some rule, real or imagined.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:30 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

What you may not be considering is, the hobby has changed and is continuing to evolve. When I fly my palm sized heli I have a hard time seeing it well at twenty-five feet.

Which is exactly why you shouldn't fly it near someone that far away from you. The rule doesn't say you can't fly it near yourself.

Most of your posts on this topic seem based more on wanting to debate and lambaste Horrace than on actual logic. As argumentative as you are here it doesn't seem likley that you would be the best person to leave things soley up to "good communication".
Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Palm sized heli? Common sense says fly it at home. You would not want lose sight of it and take the chance of hurting someone.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-11-2005, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Which is exactly why you shouldn't fly it near someone that far away from you. The rule doesn't say you can't fly it near yourself.

No where in this exchange have I indicated that I wish to fly closer than 25 feet to someone else while being 25 feet from myself.

And you have some notion about communication? Yea right.

Case point; at the field I fly at most often, the neighboring pilot stations are so close in proximity that to fly within 25 feet of one's self one would also be within 25 feet of another's pilot station.

Palm sized helicopters and other small aircraft are routinely flown indoors closer than 25 feet to others.

Like I said... poorly written and ill conceived rule...no matter how you twist it that is the case.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Oh! I get it. Writing BasinDum instead of my actual user name proves your point. Well done.

Either my reading comprehension is poor or you are talking in circles. I guess we'll have to leave it up to others to decide for themselves cause it's obvious that we are not going to agree.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

As argumentative as you are here it doesn't seem likley that you would be the best person to leave things soley up to "good communication".
One more thing Basindum. How in the heck did you perceive that communications between others be left up to me?

Opps…Oh I guess I better qualify for YOU, that is rhetorical in nature.

That was not my contention or anyone else’s here.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:21 PM
My Feedback: (54)

OK, so the local renegade is flying inverted high speed passes right over the runway...he loses control and hits me. Since he hit me and was not taking off or landing, he must have been withon 25 feet of me. In fact, anyone hit by a plane would have to be within that 25 foot range so does that mean the AMA won't pay any claims for people hit by planes?????

This rule isn't a determining factor of whether a claim will be paid or not. It's simply saying don't fly a plane close to other people who are flying (and likely can't see your plane since they are watching their own). While I am not a rule junkie, I get people flying right over my head with electrics and zagis routinely. Rule or no rule I get a bit irate at them. Of course the response is always "I'm new and I don't have good control of it yet". No kidding....go get a trainer cord and learn what the hell you are doing!!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM

This is precisely why organized and chartered clubs need a sound training program. The student flyer does not get checked out until he/she has met the quailifying criteria to solo at the club (+AMA and club membership). Rules can be interpretted in many ways. Safety is common sense. At our club take offs are done North of the center line (our runway is north of the flying stations). Flying is performed North of the runway. No flying over the runway except for taking off or landing period. Common sense and courteous makes it happen.
[sm=thumbup.gif]
ORIGINAL: aviti

OK, so the local renegade is flying inverted high speed passes right over the runway...he loses control and hits me. Since he hit me and was not taking off or landing, he must have been withon 25 feet of me. In fact, anyone hit by a plane would have to be within that 25 foot range so does that mean the AMA won't pay any claims for people hit by planes?????

This rule isn't a determining factor of whether a claim will be paid or not. It's simply saying don't fly a plane close to other people who are flying (and likely can't see your plane since they are watching their own). While I am not a rule junkie, I get people flying right over my head with electrics and zagis routinely. Rule or no rule I get a bit irate at them. Of course the response is always "I'm new and I don't have good control of it yet". No kidding....go get a trainer cord and learn what the hell you are doing!!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:53 PM
My Feedback: (54)

Yes but I fly at a public park. AMA is required to fly there but not much recourse when rules are broken. I try to do most of my flying during non-busy times....
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 PM

In our club we also have those guys that break the rules but we all try to correct such actions. In your case since it is public then I would imagine there is no one to enforce the guidelines or rules. I know that many flyers are pissed at their clubs (directors) but we should maintain our own integrity, pay the fees and enjoy our sport. My hat is off to you my friend for being active in the sport. What I would do is find a field or farm land and get written permission to use it on occassion and from what I understand AMA will or should cover you with the owners written permission. Good Luck[sm=thumbup.gif] May be easier said than done.