Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Dec 05 Model Aviation >

Dec 05 Model Aviation

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dec 05 Model Aviation

Old 12-04-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dec 05 Model Aviation

On page 5, President's Perspective.

IMO - With the recent discussions on electrics & park flyers in this forum, Mr Brown's article is timely and well worth reading and thinking about.[8D]
Old 12-04-2005, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dec 05 Model Aviation

I liked the whole mag over all. But I am a stinkin AMA lover anyway. DB is not the antichrist. He has done a decent job and I applaud him. For those that don't just go to the beltline an fight for our rights your bad self!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:42 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the subject of Park Flyers I believe that all Flyers should pay the same AMA rate regardless of the aircraft they are flying. There just isn't any more fair way to do it, because if you done it for the Park Flyers then you should do it for the Control Line, Free Flight, Rubber Power, Glider guys as well.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 PM

All paying the same is probably the most fair regarding the cost question.

However, what caught my attention was the point about we - the few people in modeling - are too few in number to be 'a house divided'.

Those that have flown RC aircraft for any length of time know that flying sites are very hard to find and get, and even tougher, to keep. And any divisions are only going to hurt the hobby, probably starting with the loss of flying sites, and maybe going on to local legislation to prevent model flying of any sort in the future. I've read that this has already happened somewhere.

I enjoy flying RC aircraft. Right now that is mostly electric powered aircraft. But I have, and fully intend to fly again, glow engine powered aircraft. So, to me, the uproar over electric aircraft is puzzling. So why the uproar? - it's just a different power system for our models?!?!

I may not like some of the AMA policies, and may disagree with some peoples views on those policies - but I still think we as modelers and flyers need to stand together. And, at the present time, that means being a part of the AMA. Maybe by staying with the organization, change can come from within, and with that is the possibility of a better future.

By the way - I didn't know anything negative about Dave Brown, and still don't. If he is the man that made the Dave Brown products Six-Shooter fuel pump - I'm still using one of those from years ago - and it has been a fine product. If he isn't that same Dave Brown - Then all I know of him and his views is what I read in Model Aviation, which is a fine magazine now - but that's a different subject.

And after saying all that -
I read that the AMA leadership no longer looks at this forum because of some past insults and name calling.
If the AMA leaders aren't reading this forum anymore - because of past insults - Then this forum has lost any purpose and becomes useless.
What a shame, if that is the case.

In any case;
It's the Christmas Season
And I wish You All a
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-06-2005, 09:13 PM

I just finished reading a little while ago an email that Dave Brown sent to another RCU Member regarding non US citizens competing on a U.S World Team. I found the email very disturbing, and I found the tone in which it was written to be very unprofessional. I am finding it harder and harder to find positive reasons why this guy should continue to be president of the AMA. His way of thinking is way out of sync with the majority of people he is supposed to represent Imo. I honestly believe that if each member were to actually study who their AMA President is, and what he stands for, that there would be no way for him to ever get re-elected. The problem is that most people just know he is the AMA incumbant President, and the few who vote cast a ballott without really knowing what positions he takes on AMA matters.

To his credit, he does make a good fueler, and that will be his legacy within the Hobby. His time served as AMA President will only be remembered as a time of great controversy due to his unpopular ideas.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, what are some of his unpopular ideas? I only know what I read in the magazine. It seems there is a lot of general negativity toward this man but very little specifics.
Thanks
Aren't there some wheels with his name on them too?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: crashdummy6

Just out of curiosity, what are some of his unpopular ideas? I only know what I read in the magazine. It seems there is a lot of general negativity toward this man but very little specifics.
Thanks
Aren't there some wheels with his name on them too?
Oh gosh! You don't need me to make you a list! Just spend a little time reading his opinions in MA regarding Park Flyers, Turbines, Copyrights, etc. and his email to JR that is here in the AMA Forums. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with all of his opinions, but generally all his ideas draw alot of negative feedback, and at least making them by a majority unpopular here in the forums. I concede though that us who visit the forums here are just a very small fraction of AMA Membership, and that the majority of opinions here don't nessasarilly relect the thoughts of the whole membership. So let me just say in fairness that his ideas are very unpopular among a majority of those who visit these forums, and that those who post here will by majority remember his time as President as a time of turmoil, and conflict!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:20 AM

I looked for the post in the forum you mentioned but could not find it. I did however see that JR can be somewhat sarcastic and abusive. Not that there is anything really wrong with that, everyone gets that way once in a while. But it may explain some things. Do you happen to know the post number where this e-mail/post can be found?
I do know that the AMA magazine is far better now than it ever was. And if blame falls on the president for all things AMA, so too must the credit.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: crashdummy6

I looked for the post in the forum you mentioned but could not find it. I did however see that JR can be somewhat sarcastic and abusive. Not that there is anything really wrong with that, everyone gets that way once in a while. But it may explain some things. Do you happen to know the post number where this e-mail/post can be found?
I do know that the AMA magazine is far better now than it ever was. And if blame falls on the president for all things AMA, so too must the credit.
Thanks
I love the NEW and Improved MA Magazine! You can even read my comments to the editor in the November Issue of MA where I praise there efforts and hard work. I am not one of these guys who complains about every little thing. I like to give credit where credit is due, and if I feel something was done right then I like to give praise. I praised Dave Brown for his terrific efforts after Hurricane Katrina. I think he done a wonderful thing, and I praise him for it, but when I see, and read things that I don't agree with, I voice my opinions about those as well.

Yes, JR is sarcastic and abusive, and so is Hoss and a few others on here, but each of them have a an obvious passion in seeing that the AMA move in a positive direction. When you are passionate about something, it is easy to get offensive when your vision of how things ought to be are being questioned. I have come to respect both of those fellows opinions, even if I don't agree with either. I respect Dave Browns opinions, but I tend to agree with him even less then I do JR or Hoss! There hearts are in the right place, and I assure you they are not out to just stir arguements. Them fellows are on a mission! Sometimes you just got to have broad shoulders, say what you think is right, and not worry about what someone else might have to say about you because of your comments. People disagree with me all the time, but I expect them to. I want people to challenge my ideas and statements. A person is only right about something 50% of the time. It takes good debate to get the other 50%.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 AM

I found the article. Interesting reading. I posted my opinion in that string about the whole Citizen thing.
Anyway, I agree, people have their opinions and should express them constructively. And of course this IS the place to do that. I do not doubt anyone's passion either. I am sure their hearts are all in the right place. I was just curious why everyone seemed down on Brown. I assumed there was something I was missing. Smoking Gun if you will. I like to be informed of major things. I am not too concerned with the little stuff. I hope AMA fights the good fight. I hope they use my dues and video "Donations" to do good things. Of course their priorities and mine differ. My concerns in the model aviation arena are like; "will the weather be good enough to fly Saturday" and "Does orange covering go with Purple?" I vote for the people I want to take care of the big things and let them run with it. I sleep well knowing there are those that are watching to make sure things are taken care of.
Now, national politics are another story......
Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 PM
J_R

If you want accurate information to discuss, I consider this one of the better posts I have made to help you obtain that desire.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2859667/tm.htm
Old 12-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Good post JR. I knew of several of those resources listed. I did not, however, know about the minutes. That will probably come in handy.
Thanks